Other Becoming a Hero (Masks: A New Generation) - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 1st, 2017, 12:46 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5417
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Becoming a Hero (Masks: A New Generation)

Game NameBecoming a Hero (Masks: A New Generation)
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeSandbox: Young Generation of Superheroes Coming of Age
FlavourMedium Blend of Lighthearted Antics and Hard Dark Choices (never going to either extreme)
Plot SummaryMasks: A New Generation is a Magpie game that runs on the Powered By Apocalypse system. It is a superhero setting where you play teenage superheroes trying to make their own mark on a world as the fourth generation of super powered heroes and villains. Boosted by Sam de Leve on Geek and Sundry's Signal Boost, this game is a lot of fun to play if you are really into story-driven narrative. And the rules are fairly easy to pick up!

For Updated Application Post, please go here.

You can get the basic rules, moves, and play books from the main website here.

So for this particular game, We will have teenage superheroes that can work solo or band together with allies and friends to face the challenges of villainy, life, and teenage drama. This is not an evil or vigilante game, so don't build a remorseless killer. This is a game about kids that want to be heroes and have to deal with a world that has already seen 3 generations of amazingness.

We could be dealing with a variety of issues in this game through the lens of the teenage perspective: self doubt, dramatic combat, peer pressure, public image, romance, moral choices, freedom, and redemption. The goal is to have a lot of fun and tell a great story! How light/dark we go depends on the group, so please be clear up front if anything starts to make you uncomfortable.

I will be happy to answer any questions you have about the system or this particular game.

We are using the standard setting for the game, so feel free to look into the main city for details on the world that you can work into your background. I am only using official material for everything except art. Fan material posted on the Google Plus hangout group does not count.

I am going to hold this application up until May 7th and see if we can get enough interest in the game. If we can make a good team by then, I will roll forward with the game. Details for submitting an application are below...

ApplicationsCharacter Applications:
Hero Name: What are you going to call your super self? You can submit a mild mannered alter ego as well if you want. Not every teenage hero has one, so it is not necessary. But your super hero name is a must!
Playbook: Characters in Masks have playbooks instead of character sheets. A playbook helps define who a character is and what they can do. You do not have to have a completed playbook (in fact, do NOT complete your Relationships, Influence, or "When Our Team First Came Together" sections), but I do want to know which one you are planning to use for your character. I will not be accepting multiple applications from the same playbook for balance purposes.
Description: Each playbook has some guidelines for this, but I would like a brief summary here. Include not only your appearance and costume but also your personality and general attitude. This is where my interest is most likely to be piqued! Remember, ALL characters are teenagers.
Goals: Why does your character want to be a part of a teenage super hero group? Why are they a hero and not a villain?
Background: Backgrounds are also a part of the playbooks, so use those as a guideline and fill in some details. Tell me about your character's past before they met the team. What was life like before they became a teenager?
Roleplaying Sample: You can link to any thread or post on RPG Crossing or write up your own. If your sample is from this application's character's point of view, it will help give a better perspective on the sort of character you are wanting to make!
Why: This is from a player point of view, not your character. So why do you as a player want to play this game? What sort of story narratives are you hoping to explore with your character?

I am not accepting applications that are not teenagers or want to play custom playbooks. If you have any questions about content, please let me know.

Last edited by Homestarbaby; Apr 30th, 2021 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Sandbox
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 01:42 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5280
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Interest
Do you have an actual plot line in mind, or will this be more of a sandbox style game, based off of our backgrounds and character interactions?
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 02:47 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5417
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
The game is largely a sandbox by system design, and I plan to make full use of that. Character backgrounds will have a lot to do with shaping the plots of the story. I actually do have 5 story points that I want to hit through the story arcs, but again that will depend on characters for flavor on even that. Hopefully that makes sense.
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 06:10 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6817
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Work in progress, Complete do-over

Last edited by Arthilian01; Jun 7th, 2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 06:29 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 333
AutumnRose AutumnRose AutumnRose AutumnRose
Posting interest in the hopes that I will be able to come up with something in time! Really like the idea.
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 10:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 476
olhado olhado olhado olhado olhado
I may post a potential replacement character. Can't play in a 3rd game, especially in a system I have no experience in (yet).
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 10:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 476
olhado olhado olhado olhado olhado
Here he is. Anyone is free to steal him and modify him to taste:

Un-IrvingHero Name: Un-Irving
Playbook: The Transformed

Description: Irving is a skinny, dark purple, 8'-ish tall high school freshman. -ish, because the symbiote that has merged with Irving likes to play around with human dimensions for its own whims, causing body parts to occasionally shrivel or bulge. His eyeballs are perpetually bulging, pulsate softly, and are orange. All that would still be fine, though, if it weren't for the constant oozing slime. Scientists' best guess is that it has to do with the symbiote reacting poorly to the erratic hormone levels of a pubescent human boy. So lets just say Irving's fashion sense tends toward porous, wearing stretchable navy blue wrestler's singlet.

The symbiote also caused his voice to drop and grow a beard, so it wasn't a complete loss.

Goals: Convincing anyone to go to the freshman semi-formal with him. Here's hoping superheroic acts are still cool to high school girls.

Background: Irving St. Clair was your just your normal, geeky, video-game-obsessed 14-year-old when the Centaurian Strike took place the summer before his freshman year. Like most, he climbed to the roof of his apartment building to watch the supers take down the baddies, again. This time, however, Irving ended up on the receiving end of some sentient sweat that was knocked from one of the giant Centaurians' tresses.

This symbiotic slime latched on to Irving's DNA and twisted it to create Un-Irving, Irving's teenage part self-loathing, part nerdy wordplay super hero identity. Outwardly Irving wears a fatalistic, "no big deal" demeanor, but inwardly he is scared to death knowing he now has to experience puberty for two life forms!

RP Sample: Check out the "In-Depth" section of this post: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...74#post7534474

Why: New systems are fun to try out, and I've heard a lot about the PbtA-related games. I am a narrativist at heart, so I am not afraid of some character tragedy if it makes for an entertaining time!

Last edited by olhado; Jun 1st, 2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 04:18 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
I am giving this game the bump because I can't let it pass into obscurity. For Homestar!
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 04:29 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics

it was last commented on yesterday. Hardly passing into obscurity.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 04:50 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Lol, it was half-way down the first page, It wasn't the first thing I saw when i logged on!
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 05:30 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
So, I am trying to decide between Beacon and Janus, but am going back and forth about which way I want to go. Any thoughts on what you are interested in playing AutumnRose?
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 06:31 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 333
AutumnRose AutumnRose AutumnRose AutumnRose
The Doomed and The Bull look pretty interesting for different reasons. Not that I'm calling dibs on either of those, there are a lot of interesting options.

I can't wait to see what you come up with Kanly!
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 09:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 291
L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught
Does biokinesis only apply to yourself, or can you target others? I'm having trouble finding clarification
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 10:02 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
With the broadness of the game system, it can pertain to anything you want it to, I would use it on myself and others.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 10:44 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
It's from the Nova powerset, and they're meant to be the biggest badasses of the game. So apply it however your story demands. However, remember that we are just starting out, so give yourself room to grow.