Other Becoming a Hero (Masks: A New Generation) - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 7th, 2017, 02:54 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 291
L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught
Another question, will we start off having just met, or will we already know each other?
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 05:10 AM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6817
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
The basis of the system is that the members of the team will have previously met for at least one battle. Some of the background questions also include knowing a team member from school and stuff like that.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 11:27 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5417
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Wow. I think it is safe to say that this game will definitely be happening at this point. A lot of great interest popping up! I am looking forward to having the game start next week!

In the meantime, I will try to get some details up in the new game folder. But just to confirm, everyone will have met each other under some sort of circumstances. And we will be moving the game forward as a superhero teenager team. Our first game thread will be working together to see how characters are tied to each other, what the team looks like, and who has influence over whom . I have some ideas, but this is a sandbox game so we will see where it goes.

The specific sections of your character sheets we start on together will be "When our team first came together", "Relationships", and "Influence."

Last edited by Homestarbaby; Jun 7th, 2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
lucid108 lucid108
I don't suppose it's too late to post interest playing a doomed character, is it?
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Not too late yet. Deadline is June 12th.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
lucid108 lucid108
Sweet! Thanks! I'll get to work on the stuff then.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 12:36 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 476
olhado olhado olhado olhado olhado
I may have time to pick up a third game, Homestarbaby, is there anything you would need me to adjust for Un-Irving?
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5280
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Ready, Set, Go!Hero Name: XLR8
Birth Name: Arvan Agilis

Playbook:

Description:

Goals: Arvan is a good guy and wants to use his powers to help people. While he isn't above using his speed when he is behind on a delivery, he would never use it to steal or hurt people, there are to many people who depend on him to do that sort of thing. He realizes that he is in over his head, and he has been in Helcyon City long enough to know that the criminals are always happy enough to take advantage of that. So, he's glad that he has found a group of friends to help him deal with all these changes to his life

Background: At thirteen, Arvan became the man of his family. That was the year that his father Nishan died of lung cancer, leaving his mother Lucine to care for him and his four siblings all on her own. Between three part time jobs, she was able to keep a roof over their heads and food in their bellies, but not much more. Lucine mostly just made it home to sleep between shifts, so most of the household duties fell to Arvan and his 10 year old sister Carine as well as caring for their 5 year old twin sisters Perouze and Ziazan. Things changed a little when Arvan turned 15 and managed to land a job doing moped deliveries for a neighborhood pizza shop, Checkerboard Pizza, which allowed his mother to be home slightly more, but put more of a burden on Carine. He was just returning form one of his deliveries when his life changed again.
This time it was because as her rounded a corner, a shining Blue/white portal opened up infront of him and an elderly man in a similarly glowing body suit and wearing a mask, came tottering out of it. Arvan didn't have time to swerve and crashed strait into the man who crumpled. Arvan jumped off his moped and rushed over to see if the man was okay and was surprised to see someone who looked quite a bit like pictures of his grandfather lying on the side of the road. Arvan knelled down to help the old man and heard him whisper one word "Accelerate" before disappearing in a blue/white haze. The only thing left was the man's mask lying on the ground in front of Arvan. Confused, he picked up the scrap of cloth and repeated the word. Much to his surprise, he felt the mask tremble and then a surge of power flooded through Arvan. Before he realized what had happened, the young man was zooming down the street faster than he had ever moved before. At one point he even found himself running up the side of a building, as if it were a leisurely stroll. Since then, he has tried to keep his powers a secret and use them to help protect the neighborhood, but he can't help wondering who the strange man was and what the cost will be for his abilities.

Roleplaying Sample: It's not him, but it does show a good example of how I like to go about things. Take a look.

Why: I have been enthralled by superheroes even longer than I have been gaming which is saying something. Superfriends, Batman, Captain Caveman I loved them all. Reading about Thor, Wonder Woman and Hercules introduced me to mythology and gave me an appreciation for history. So, that explains a little of my love for the genre in general, but Masks in particular is appealing for two main reasons. First, it is about heroes that are just at the start of their journey and are discovering both who they are and what they can do. Can Brickhouse pick up that bus and use it to stop Mustang Sally's Ride? We don't know and neither does he. These heroes are not established paragons of their city, yet, but they have room to grow and develop into that if they want to or to go countless other ways if they don't. Second, I like the way that Masks (and all PbtA games really) leaves everything really open ended but still drives the game forward by the sort questions they ask during character creation and the moves available to players.

Last edited by kanly; Jun 12th, 2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 05:30 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Complete, pending GM Critique
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 05:58 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Adogdayz
So here's my go at the app, still missing on the rp example though.

Character Applications:
Hero Name: Emp (Edward “Ed” Candell)
“The name’s not E.M.P., but Emp. Like imp but with a little flare.”

Playbook: Protégé

Description: Ed looks like he needs to smile more, relax, and do something superfluous(a word he might use to describe hanging out with fellow classmates). He’s sixteen, athletic but otherwise a physically average inner city kid, and acts like he's a forty year old businessman deciding who to lay off this year. No nonsense. Nothing but facts and necessity. That is until he puts on the mask.

As Emp, Ed comes alive, laughs and jokes as wind dances along the lines of his grey and purple armored flight jacket. It's while moving from roof to roof that he finds his flare. It's when he's helping others that he finds his passion.

Goals: This is what Emp lives for, what he's dedicated all his passion and effort towards for the past two years. Without the mask, without a team, he’s just Ed. And Emp wants to leave Ed behind. Bottom line: he wants to be Emp full time and joining a team of people like him will help.

Background: Ed’s early childhood was a study in parents trying to live vicariously through their child. Mr. and Mrs. Candell were obsessed with social standing but hadn't the reputation or connections to rise up to join the upper crust. What they could do was enroll their son in a prestigious private school where he could start making friends with the kids of the city elite.

Ed spent grades 1-8 trying to rub elbows with people he had little in common with to keep his parents happy, earn a little praise, some acknowledgement at least. Turns out that wasn't easy. He became an outlier in school, classmates questioning why a middle class plebeian was allowed to even enter the building. Suffice to say he had few friends and his parents were constantly disappointed in that lack.

Eighth grade came around and Ed was attending a public school at last. Didn't change his social circle much but he no longer had people actively deriding him about his family's financial or political status. Which left him room to worry about a new wonder of puberty he was dealing with: powers. He could feel the air around him and move it like an extension of his body. An extension that reacted to his emotions and needed a tight grip to keep from manifesting whenever he was excited or angry or sad… really anything would strike up a gust of wind.

He spent the first quarter in a constant struggle to keep his emotions tamped down while around other people. When alone he experimented, learning what he could do. It was around the end of the second quarter when he was found by Tempest, a bronze generation hero with similar air powers. The two talked and Tempest offered to train Ed as his protege. The reason being that he was slowing down, his powers even seeming to be on the decline. He was going to be forced to retire in the next decade. Ed would be a way for him to keep up the good fight when his own powers were gone.

Ed agreed because he was suffocating inside. His parents had given up on him, he had at most two people he could call friends, and no one else he knew was going through the same struggle as him. Tempest was taking an interest in him, was offering guidance, and if nothing else, Ed’s parents had taught him to grab a good connection when it showed up.

The fact that Emp is Tempest’s student is not a secret.

Roleplaying Sample: WIP

Why: Masks seems like a game that wants to explore the way people relate to and affect one another while giving teenagers superhuman abilities. There's potential for some great moments as our characters struggle to figure out who they are and what their place is. I'm into that and want to explore it.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 02:27 AM
Somewhat Acceptable

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 691
Mister N Mister N Mister N Mister N Mister N Mister N
Homestar, would we be using any of the optional rules, like the option for Damage and Health in the core rulebook?
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 07:50 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister N View Post
Homestar, would we be using any of the optional rules, like the option for Damage and Health in the core rulebook?
No optional rules as far as I am aware. Combat is not damage based. You are only taken out if you have all your conditions marked and would take another one.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
Complete and Done for the last time.

Kam'Ron
left-aligned image

right-aligned image

Hero Name: Kam'Ron
Earth Name: Cameron Masters
Playbook: Outsider
Abilities:
Flight/levitation
Toughness
Telepathy and mind blasts
Radical Shapeshifting

Description:
Kam'Ron is what he was called in his old life on Xenon Seven. He still uses this name to represent his natural form when he is doing hero stuff. He has an elongated head that tapers back with minor ridges along it. His skin is a light brown and he has naturally has a mostly humanoid form standing about six feet tall, except for three fingers and a thumb on each hand that are long with an extra joint compared to humans, and his feet have four toes with an extra joint each, similar to his fingers. The extra joints on his fingers and toes give him the ability to grip things with either. His suit is made of a high-density, yet very light-weight and flexible fiber from his planet that conglomerates with his species' shapeshifting abilities. The suit has special energy fibers that generate a kinetic energy field that allows him to levitate.

His human form is a lot less alien to most. He uses this when he wants to blend in. Cameron is a laid-back, fun loving guy who isn't afraid to let it all hang loose. Kam'Ron's misunderstanding of human customs causes his outfits to be less than common. He often wears a white dress shirt, sleeves rolled to three quarters with a ascot/scarf tied loose around his collar with a brown suit vest and black dress pants and bright green canvas shoes, among other outlandish styles that he deems perfectly normal. His hair is usually in the swooped fashion that he likes. despite wanting to blend in, he likely stands out somewhat among other people. Even if he can change his looks at the drop of hat, he prefers to stick to one look to keep those around him more comfortable.

Goals:
Kam'Ron seeks to prove to his people that the humans of Earth are worth the effort it would take to enter into a treaty of protection against the threats that roam the universe. Kam'Ron must show that he can integrate himself properly with humans and give a report to prove that humans are worth Xenonian lives. His family wishes to see his return because despite Kam's pleads and accounts, Earth and it's inhabitants seem barbaric and uncivilized compared to Xenonians. Kam's return to his people before he is able to collect the proper data and proof would likely spell disaster for Earth, as the Xenonians would likely abandon any effort to enter into the galactic treaty proposed to them.

Background:
Kam'Ron comes from a near utopian civilization called Xenonians, He is a member of the most developed beings of Xenon Seven. His people are able to act as a united community through fluent and free use of telepathy, allowing everyone to be completely honest with one another and fully knowing of each other's actions and intents. A large population of Xenonians are explorers and monitors of other planets in the universe. Kam'Ron's family is one such family incorporated within this group. Kam'Ron's, having reached the age of adulthood (18 full rotations of solar sequence) was able to choose his first mission and he chose Earth, seeing there to be far more under the surface than just what his family deems barbaric and uncivilized.

Kam'Ron needs to stay planet-side so that he can learn everything there is to learn and mount a strong, successful plea to his people to see them protected. His family wishes him to come home because besides seeing Earth as a useless rock full of people not civilized enough to be protected, they think that he might be in danger of suffering at the hands of such barbaric beings.

Kam'Ron sees the team as more than just subjects of study. More than just a way to learn everything he can but also to learn why people of Earth do the things they do. The hero thing is his way of further injecting himself into human culture and the rush is quite fun. The feeling of adulation from other Earthlings helps him to know that he is doing the right thing. His drive is increased with every good thing he finds on the planet.

RP Sample:
Kam'Ron woke early to don his bio-suit and moved into the living quarters of his family home. It was spartan but not compared to most others of his people. Three gravitational lounging pads around a holographic information transceiver. His mother was waiting for him, but for how long, he wondered.

The air waves were cut sharply with emotions, sadness and anger emanated from his mother the moment he fully entered the room, "Why must you go?! The savage Earthlings will kill you!"

Kam raised his hands to gesture for her to calm herself, his calm telepathic emotions were sent in droves in an attempt to calm her, showing that he was unafraid, "You know why I want to go, There is more there than is seen on the surface."

His mother rose from her seat on the gravitational lounge pad and she turned to face him, "You cannot go! I will not allow it, My son." Her head hung with the sadness that she felt, knowing she couldn't stop him. Their telepathic conversation was more than just words, it was emotions and memories of a childhood spent under the watchful eye of both his parents. Kam was nearly pushed back by the sheer amount of emotions his mom was feeling.

"Do not worry, mother, My mission will be only as long as it takes to find the secret that makes Earthlings so resilient and worthy of surviving long into the future under the protection of the Tribunal Accord."

Why: I am looking forward to playing this system and with Homestarbaby's style of GMing. I hope to get my character into fighting some massive intergalactic threat from outer space.

Last edited by Arthilian01; Jun 8th, 2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 08:23 PM
Dreaded blue eye-square!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5997
Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios
Haha, Magicians is a good show. Lots of ... interesting characters.

I've edited in an RP Sample. I couldn't think of any good prompt for an in character one, besides the application is mostly written in character. So I linked to an old post of mine.
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 03:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 417
Konton Konton Konton Konton Konton
Shade Born