Other Becoming a Hero (Masks: A New Generation) - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 9th, 2017, 11:08 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 333
AutumnRose AutumnRose AutumnRose AutumnRose

Application
NameThe Wyvern (Formerly Ethan Williams)

PlaybookThe Transformed

Description Ethan no longer looks like his former seventeen year old self. In fact he no longer looked very human at all. What was once olive colored skin was now a thick, hard layer of green scales. Brown eyes had turned white solid white, with no visible iris. His face had been transformed into a beastly visage with horns and a dragon like maw.

It was this likeness to the mythical beast that inspired his heroic title, The Wyvern. Attached to his arms are two large wing like membranes, as well as a trio of long spikes extending from his forearms. He wore nothing but a pair of boots and gloves, and pair of shorts that were the same shade of his scales. It almost gave him the impression of wearing nothing.

It's not at all surprising that Ethan has struggled with accepting his new body. He's acutely aware of how people look at him, and he tries hard to offset his monstrous appearance with a very soft tone and logical dialogue. He's very sensitive to others opinions of him but in trying not to show it he can come off as unemotional.

Goals Ethan doesn't want to be seen as a monster. He is pushed extra hard to do good deeds to prove his humanity, and he hopes to become well-known before returning to his parents to show them what he's become.

BackgroundEthan had an almost charmed life. His parents both had high income jobs, his mom a surgeon and his dad an archaeologist. Being around his brilliant parents, he learned to appreciate the act of learning and did very well in school. Even in his spare time he enjoyed reading science articles, especially anything involving medical research. He may have been interested in his mother's work.

Ethan wasn't a stereotypical nerd, he also played as a linebacker on his school's football team. He was pretty good, maybe not scholarship worthy but a boon for his team. He may have been a better player if his family didn't always take him on trips to where his father was conducting work. He got a lot of homeschooling to supplement his public schooling on these trips.

The last trip Ethan accompanied his father on was a trip to a Mayan temple that was newly discovered in Belize. Ethan's father had promised to take Ethan into the temple with him before they left, and he kept his promise. Before boarding the plane back home Ethan got a chance to see the temple for himself.

His father was busy, and as he was speaking with one of his colleagues Ethan became impatient and began to wander deeper into the temple. He had not planned to go far, but the ground far down the hall was weak and Ethan fell through. He cried out as he hit the bottom and found himself in a room that seemed to have been untouched for over a thousand years.

The room seemed to be a place of worship, there were a dozens and dozens of sculptures and wall-etchings of dragons of different types. In the middle of the room was a stone stand with a large emerald sitting in the middle. Curious, and excited to think what his father would think of the find he reached out to grab it, but as soon as he grabbed it it began to grow hot and emit a strong green light. Ethan closed his eyes tight but to no avail. The light was so bright it turned his world completely white, and the next thing he remembered he was awakened by his father, and the emerald was gone.

Over the next few weeks Ethan noticed changes come over his body. He tried to cover these up with clothing and sometimes even makeup. It quickly became apparent that this was not going to work for very long. Especially when he accidentally hurt another student during a football game. After that he decided he no longer fit in, and fell in with a group of supers. He hadn't been home since the football incident, and missing posters with his face are still plastered around his high school.

Roleplay SampleThe game was close, 28-30 with his team trailing behind. Ethan was able to forget everything when he was playing football, including the changes he was going through. Nothing mattered when he played except for the game. As he stepped into position he met eyes with one of the opposing team members. He stared the other kid down in an effort to intimidate.

He wasn't prepared for the sudden look of horror on the other kid's face though. At first the kid squinted, as if not sure what he was seeing, but then it warped into an expression of fear. Ethan lifted his hand to his helmet, but that was as far as he got before the whistle blew and the play started. He broke the stare and looked for the ball. He found it in the arms of a one of the opposing team members. He looked for a gap in the defenses, found it, and ran to cut him off.

His arms and legs pumped as he ran down the kid with the ball. He was far behind due to his hesitation earlier. His desperation pushed him to greater speed, and as he finally closed the distance he didn't slow down for the impact. Ethan threw his shoulder into the kid's back, following him to the ground in a tackle that sent them both tumbling. Ethan got to his feet and stood, arms raised in victory. Until the boy's gasps brought him down to earth. He slowly turned, and looked at the kid's crumpled frame. His teammates gathered around the fallen boy.

“Hey, buddy, you okay?” “What happened is something broke?” Ethan could only stand there stunned as the crowd grew. The referee dispersed the crowd and made room for the medic. All Ethan heard among the ringing in his ears were the words broken ribs and head trauma.

“Hey, what's going on with your face?” The words cut through the clamor like a hot knife. Ethan looked for it's source and found the same kid who had been looking at him before the play started. Ethan slowly reached under his helmet to touch his cheek. Instead of the familiar feel of stubble he was met with the feeling of hard, smooth scale.

His heart began to race, and with a last look at his friends he turned and ran.

WhyI've never played Masks before, or any of the games like it. The rules look simple though and it seems to lend itself to a very narrative style of game play, which I tend to prefer. Also, loved Young Justice!

Last edited by AutumnRose; Jun 12th, 2017 at 02:57 AM.
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3308
Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad
Character Application
Hero Name: Pixel FiAsco
Alter Ego: Hendrix ("Hendy" or "Rix") Argento
Playbook: Delinquent (oh boy am I ever!!!)
Abilities:
Teleportation
Gadgetry and Hacking
Description: Rix Argento is a 13-year old, mixed race kid from the projects of Holmes Park, thrown into prep schools and the elite of Halcyon City through his parents' emerging political careers and ambition. He is smart, athletic and decidedly anti-authority. And he now finds himself in his junior year of high school, skipped ahead several classes due to his parents' ambition and his own undeniable intellect. He doesn't like it, but he's holding his own.

When not in his prep school uniform, which he customizes in small ways to agitate the school's administration, he favors jeans, hoodies and sneaks in a street/prep style. He wears a heavily customized ultrarunner's smart watch, and carries an unlocked top of the line smart phone and a selection of paint markers.

This whole superhero thing is still new, so his costume is mainly homemade - dark street clothes, sneakers and a hoodie with a purple smiley face mask sporting three eyes. His costume pieces were selected for movement as a tagger, Rix is accustomed to running and evading and teleportation isn't the only way to evade the cops and mall security!

Goals: Even mysterious, antiestablishment street art provocateurs get lonely sometimes and the bad guys are way more powerful than one lone tagger.

Background:

Roleplaying Sample:

Why: I'm coming back to roleplaying after a long hiatus and am fascinated by the Powered by the Apocalypse mechanic and am dying to try out Masks. And I love the teenage superhero team coming of age trope - in recent years I've been blown away by the depth of story in titles like Teen Titans (the first animated series), Young Justice (both the source comic and the animated series), and the new TMNT cartoon on Nick. The opportunity to develop a character or set of characters, organically, from the ground up is exciting, especially in the supers context where powers can go so inconceivably awry.

Last edited by Spinrad; Jun 12th, 2017 at 10:17 AM. Reason: completing application
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 08:52 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5417
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Thanks again to everyone who has shown interest in my game! Those of you who have not finished(or even started) still have a little over 5 hours left to complete your submissions. If an application does not have all the requirements, I will not accept it.

Looking forward to a fun reading day!
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3308
Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad
Application complete. Made some minor updates to details. Looking forward to potentially playing!
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 11:25 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 417
Konton Konton Konton Konton Konton
Sadly I'm pulling my app. While I think I had a good working concept I wasn't able to give it the proper attention and work it needed to blossom into a proper character.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
lucid108 lucid108
Hero Name: Overlay
Alter Ego: Anita Rodriguez
Playbook Doomed
Description: Anita is a short, 15 year-old Hispanic girl who is very firmly in the skater phase of her life. Her hair is a mass of red curls, her skateboard may as well be permanently welded to her feet, and at any given point, she’s got at least a pound or two of pins reflecting her various interests, which range from some obscure bands, to less obscure video games and a hoodie that seems a size too large for her.
At school, she’s known to be something of a slacker, often doing the bare minimum to pass any given class and outside of school, she’s rarely ever seen in the same place twice, since she is always exploring new places in the city she calls home.
However, when the time comes to protect the innocent, the vaguely detached She is never seen wearing a costume. After all, she wants people to remember the face of the girl who saved them.

Goals:Faced with the idea that she might be wiped from existence and having seeing so many outcomes and possibilities throughout the multiverse, Anita does what she can to create a better life for the people around her, hoping that even if the memory of her fades, the good she leaves behind will be enough.

Background:

Roleplaying Sample:

Why: I’m actually pretty new to play-by-post in general and I’ve always wanted to play Masks. I figured that a narrative system like this would be a really fun way to just get the hang of this whole play-by-post thing

Last edited by lucid108; Jun 12th, 2017 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Just wanted to make some last-est second tweeks
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
40 minutes left!
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 12:50 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
The game folder is up and set for play! Thank you again to everyone that submitted an application. Sorry to see the withdrawals. There were a lot of good hero applications on this thread, and narrowing them down is proving to be quite difficult. I will start sending invitations out tomorrow so we can get started. Can't wait to get started!
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
All invitations have been accepted. Thank you again to everyone that submitted an application!
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Somewhat Acceptable

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 691
Mister N Mister N Mister N Mister N Mister N Mister N
Huh. Oh well, have fun everybody who made it in!
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 476
olhado olhado olhado olhado olhado
Congrats all!
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
lucid108 lucid108
Have fun everyone!
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 02:28 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Game NameBecoming a Hero (Masks: A New Generation)
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeSandbox: Young Generation of Superheroes Coming of Age
FlavourMedium Blend of Lighthearted Antics and Hard Dark Choices (never going to either extreme)
About the SystemMasks: A New Generation is a Magpie game that runs on the Powered By Apocalypse system. It is a superhero setting where you play teenage superheroes trying to make their own mark on a world as the fourth generation of super powered heroes and villains. Boosted by Sam de Leve on Geek and Sundry's Signal Boost, this game is a lot of fun to play if you are really into story-driven narrative. And the rules are fairly easy to pick up! You can get the basic rules, moves, and play books from the main website here.

Sylvia hesitated. The vial was in her hand. Just one drink, and she wouldn't be ordinary anymore. She would be special. Unique. Powerful. Maybe she could even get out of doing homework. She wouldn't have to hide from bullies anymore. She would be able to stand up to them. She would be able to protect her friends and her family. She would be able to destroy anyone that stood in her way...

PlotA small group of teenagers find themselves in a unique position to make a difference. An emerging supervillain and their minions are behind a series of thefts and attacks. Can the group discover the villain's identity and thwart their wicked plot? I guess we'll see!

This will be much like a premier or introduction to a new group, such as in the comics. More of a Teen Titans than Teen Titans Go vibe. I am also a huge fan of the series you see in the images below, so expect inspiration to bleed through in game.

So for this particular game, We will have teenage superheroes that can work together with allies and friends to face the challenges of villainy, life, and teenage drama. This is not an evil or vigilante game, so don't build a remorseless killer. This is a game about kids that want to be heroes and have to deal with a world that has already seen 3 generations of amazingness.

We could be dealing with a variety of issues in this game through the lens of the teenage perspective: self doubt, dramatic combat, peer pressure, public image, romance, moral choices, freedom, and redemption. The goal is to have a lot of fun and tell a great story! How light/dark we go depends on the group, so please be clear up front if anything starts to make you uncomfortable.

I will be happy to answer any questions you have about the system or this particular game.

We are using the standard setting for the game, so feel free to look into the main city for details on the world that you can work into your background. I am only using official material for everything except art. Fan material posted on the Google Plus hangout group does not count.

I am going to hold this application up until May 7th and see if we can get enough interest in the game. If we can make a good team by then, I will roll forward with the game. Most likely just accepting 3 players at the moment, but feel free to reach out to me about solo options. Details for submitting an application are below...

ApplicationsCharacter Applications:
Hero Name: What are you going to call your super self? You can submit a mild mannered alter ego as well if you want. Not every teenage hero has one, so it is not necessary. But your super hero name is a must!

Playbook: Characters in Masks have playbooks instead of character sheets. A playbook helps define who a character is and what they can do. You do not have to have a completed playbook (in fact, do NOT complete your Relationships, Influence, or "When Our Team First Came Together" sections), but I do want to know which one you are planning to use for your character. I will not be accepting multiple applications from the same playbook for balance purposes.

Description: Each playbook has some guidelines for this, but I would like a brief summary here. Include not only your appearance and costume but also your personality and general attitude. This is where my interest is most likely to be piqued! Bonus points if you can find pictures! Remember, ALL characters are teenagers.

Goals: Why does your character want to be a part of a teenage super hero group? Why are they a hero and not a villain?

Background: Backgrounds are also a part of the playbooks, so use those as a guideline and fill in some details. Tell me about your character's past before they met the team. What was life like before they became a teenager?

Roleplaying Sample: You can link to any thread or post on RPG Crossing or write up your own. If your sample is from this application's character's point of view, it will help give a better perspective on the sort of character you are wanting to make!

Why: This is from a player point of view, not your character. So why do you as a player want to play this game? What sort of story narratives are you hoping to explore with your character?

I am not accepting applications that are not teenagers or want to play custom playbooks. If you have any questions about content, please let me know.

Current ApplicationsThis is just for my own organizational purposes. Please rest assured I will be going by your full application and not just the brief summary below.
NameHeroAliasPlaybookGoalsWhyStatus
WilliamLeWayteAlleycatAlisha NorthBeaconValidationStories and StrugglesComplete
rhaiberTalking ToasterRylee TannerBrainFeeling AloneFavorite CharacterComplete
Noquarter19SuperconductorJacob SlatteryNovaKeep Team SafeLearn TeamworkComplete
HotsuSamaZephyrLucas BrackenJanusHumanitarianOut-of-the-boxComplete
Solid SnekBlue DragonProject ShuiBullOriginsCuriousComplete
Stargazer AnnieMiss ReaderAlice Caldwell ProtégéPositive Reads Identity StoriesComplete
OdysseyDeadlockMilo CooperDelinquentAnti-heroLove the SystemComplete
kanlyAbby CadabraAbigail CabraScionParent TrapOpen-ended StoriesComplete
CharlotteAloeAlan OakleyLegacyFigure OutFavorite SystemComplete

Last edited by Homestarbaby; May 7th, 2021 at 01:24 PM.
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 04:51 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10648
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
I'm am always interested in a game of MASKS. Hands down it is my favorite system.
Question: which playbooks are available? Only the Core, or are the ones from the supplements open?
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 04:56 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
I have never played a game with the supplements. Unless they have a reputation for being "broken" then I would be fine with players using them.