DnD5e Cold Case Crew – Season One: Tumbleweeds - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jan 19th, 2021, 06:38 AM
Eternally Snacking Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2623
NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese
Cold Case Crew – Season One: Tumbleweeds

Game Name
Cold Case Crew – Season One: Tumbleweeds

Game SystemDnD 5e with a homebrew edge
Theme“Real-World” meets traditional dungeon crawl. One-shot for now, will do a second season and add characters based on group interest.
FlavourA light-hearted murder mystery with spelunking and adventuring abound.
Plot SummaryShort Description
A recent college-graduate podcasting crew investigates a missing persons case. They find themselves exploring caves full of curiosities and dangers not of this world.

Plot Description
It’s the present-day USA, and true crime stories have become the media consumption of choice for millions of twisted souls worldwide. Recently, with little more than the $500 you got as a graduation gift from your Nana and some free equipment from the dumpster of your apartment building, you and some old college friends have started a podcast of your own, Cold Case Crew.

Cold Case Crew is a humorous true-crime podcast focusing on… you guessed it… cold cases (think My Favorite Murder meets Up And Vanished). This is your first season and are researching the disappearance of Susanna Lemonstrap.

Susanna Lemonstrap went missing 10 years ago from Outskirts, New Mexico. Whether or not there was foul play in her disappearance remains a mystery.

Outskirts is a tiny town, with not more than 750 residents. Almost every occupant of Outskirts is peculiar in some way or another. The town has always seemed to attract eccentric folks from all walks of life in search of deeper meaning, either within themselves or with the greater universe. The rumor supply around town (and beyond) is never lacking, and many say that Outskirts holds portals to parallel universes and alternate states of being. Others say those portals are just the imagination at work due to substances some of the residents choose to partake in search of their… deeper meaning.

Our adventure begins on the crew’s second day in New Mexico. You’ve met with a few of the townsfolk and the Sherrif has agreed to take you up to one of the spots where Susanna was last seen alive – Caballo Creek Canyon. Your crew heads down into the canyon and its series of caves and find something very odd when you pop out of the other side. The crew is seemingly still in the New Mexico desert, but there are bizarre and terrifying creatures everywhere. Even more curious, you have new abilities that make it all seem like a dream.

Our story will follow the adventures of the Cold Case Crew as they search for Susanna and navigate this strange and peculiar parallel world they find themselves in.

Game InformationGame Info
Players: 3-5 depending on interest and applications
Source Material: PHB, Xanathar’s, Tasha’s
Starting Level: 1
Races: All players will be human, but will have traits from another race, should they so choose, once you pop out in DnD land.
Class: Anything from the above-named source material is fine.
Stats: Rolling, but please don’t roll anything until you’re accepted into the game. I want to save you unnecessary work!
Starting Gear: Standard for Class and Background, plus one magical item (again, no need to determine this now. We’ll do it all in the game once you’re accepted.)
Posting Expectations: Once per week

Party DetailsHow the heck will this work?!
I’m sure you’re wondering how a group of level 1 humans will actually survive this. And you might be thinking “borrrrinnnggg.. I don’t want to play a human!” Well, I’ve got a solution for you.

All players will be humans, however, when you pop out in DnD land, you will also have the abilities features of whatever race or class is appropriate to your job within the podcasting crew. The host is a human IRL, but in DnD land is a bard. Maybe the sound/gear person has orc-like barbarian strength, and so on. When your character pops into the parallel universe, they’ll look and talk like themselves, and be dressed like themselves, but they’ll suddenly have all of these abilities they didn’t before. I, the DM, will make sure the characters are set up to discover these abilities.

In your application, please make it clear what role you’d like within the crew. Under race and class, you’ll put what you want your character to take on once they pop out.

At least, I'll be looking for a host, sound/tech person, and researcher for the party.

Application DetailsCharacter Application Format
[Name:]
[Crew Role:]
[Race:]
[Class:]
[Background:]
[RP Sample:]

Applications
Please use the above format. Pictures are great, but not necessary. What’s most important to me is that you give me a good idea of your writing style and your character's role within the group. And remember… my hope is that this will be at least a little humorous and light-hearted, so feel free to incorporate that into your RP sample.

Please mark your application complete at the top once it's done. Thank you!

UDATED Deadline: February 10

PlayerCharacter NameRaceClassRoleApp Status
TibbyLTPWillow MoonesWood ElfDruidKnowledge of the OccultComplete
AlemarSelena RodgersRock GnomeWizardResearchComplete
AnaelCade O'ConnorHumanBardHostComplete
PseudonymsTBDTBDTBDTBDPlaceholder
ShatterstormPaul IronheartHumanMonk/FighterMeat Shield/Older Brains Complete
rhaiberAisling ByrneHuman CustomSocial WarlockAssoc. ProducerComplete
OranSebastian PearsonHigh ElfRogueSound TechWIP
MallothiBenny RomeroHalf OrcBarbarianSound tech/editor/roadieComplete
LashieCTomTom VenturaRock GnomeDruidArtistic Director/Car HaverComplete
Plaid PeregrineSydney MartindaleHalfingClericFinancier/medicComplete
DalamarDarknessCharles TingleDragonbornWizardSpiritual AdvisorComplete

Last edited by NightCheese; Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 02:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 103
TibbyLTP TibbyLTP
COMPLETE

Willow Moones

[Name:] Willow Moones

[Crew Role:] The Occult Angle

[Race:] Wood Elf

[Class:] Druid

[Background:] Willow grew up in a Wiccan home. Both of her mothers were both practicing Wiccans, but they did not try to force their views on her. So as Willow grew up she went through phases of here life where she believed in Wicca, and phases where she tried out other religions, or even periods where she was non-religious. While her own personal beliefs changed throughout her life, she always believed that the occult and the supernatural were real. Of course they were real, how else could you explain all of the weird **** that happens all the time! By the time she was entering college she was pretty sure that she believed in some vague spirituality that connected all life, but was not sure if any of the gods existed, or more likely they just didn't care about us mortals anymore, and that there was no way to interact with the spiritual side of the world with anything like witchcraft.

That is, until both of her mothers died in a hit and run, likely by a drunk driver that was never found.

It happened a couple of months before the end of Willow's first year of college. She was going to go back home for the summer and was making plans to go to a dinner theater that the three of them loved just an hour before the accident. The funeral was tough, but packing up her parents things tore her apart. Going through all of the handcrafted Wiccan shrines, books, ritual items, etc. Willow decided that she was going to honor her parents by continuing their beliefs and practices.

As the months went on and Willow went back to college, the police were still unable to find who caused the accident. Willow was sure at this point that some supernatural creature had either attacked her parents or had somehow caused the accident. So Willow went to work attempting to find any supernatural creature that could have been involved. She also decided that one way to get clues would be to start looking into similar cold cases to see if there are any similarities. From this she joined a small club at the college that enjoyed talking about true crime, and especially cold cases. While in this group Willow became friends with what eventually became the Cold Case Crew, and the rest, as they say, is history in the making.

"Look, all I am saying is that it is possible that she was taken by a skin-walker. There have been a few sightings in the past couple of decades in this area. They often need sacrifices for their witchy spells and Miss Lemonstrap would have been a prime candidate."

Willow shifts through the maps and notes laid out on the table in front of her.

"You might not have noticed, but there were effigies set up on some of the outermost homes in this town. Here, here, here, here, and here," she points to five houses at the edge of Outskirts and then traces a line connecting each of them, it forms a rough 5-pointed star shape. "Now, I know a lot of what I say seems strange and unrelated when you don't know or believe what I know, but you surly cant say that this is just a coincidence."

Willow looks around the table at the blank expressions on everyone's faces and rolls her eyes. "Imigh leat," she says with a sigh. "This means that the town has been protected. Miss Lemonstrap disappeared outside of the town's limits. Then we have the rumors of portals and sightings of other strange creatures . . . this seems pretty obvious to me. And before you say anything about it, no, these are not just the delusions of people high on drugs, there are testimonies from some of the townspeople that they only started taking drugs after they witnessed all the crazy **** they have seen. And I swear to the gods guys, you will be apologizing for not believing me sooner."

Last edited by TibbyLTP; Jan 21st, 2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 03:06 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2170
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
left-aligned image
Complete
[Name:] Selena Rodgers

[Crew Role:] Research

[Race:] Human (Rock Gnome)

[Class:] Wizard

[Background:] Selena's Parents divorced while she was still young, and as a result she had been pulled from place to place as her Mother searched to find work. Due to this uncertainty, Selena retreated inward, finding a foundation in the comfort of books, and knowledge. No matter where she might find herself in a year, Middle Earth would only ever be as far away as the nearest Library. Likewise, Science and Fact didn't change, even as the cities did, and Selena was often able to find a small amount of comfort in knowing that having a destination in mind was crucial for deciding in which direction to travel.

[RP Sample:] Selena cracked open her blue spiral notebook once more, and smiled as she read the tight, crisp, cursive that spanned the pages. She had to admit that she had gone on a bit of a deep dive this time; spending most of the day looking over maps of Outskirts and it's surrounding...well...outskirts. She had also pulled every newspaper article, looked into every local legend, even made a list of the officials involved; at least as far as she could tell by the interviews. This was as extensive a portfolio for the team that she had ever made, especially considering it was her first one. And she hoped that they would be impressed with what she had managed to do in one afternoon.

Waving goodbye to James, the College's Library Intern, who had been more than helpful in assisting with finding all the books and sources she had requested earlier that morning. Selena spun light-heartedly on her mary-janes and headed towards the big double doors that signified the exit. As she walked, her thoughts were drawn back to exactly why she was doing this. Sure there was excitement in searching for truth, but professionals had already given a look, most trails would be long cold, even the geography could have changed by now. She was a little skeptical that some 'outsider college kids' from 'the big city' would be welcome to go poking their noses around a decade old case. Still, there was a story to be told, and for Susanna's sake shouldn't they at least try? Even if they found nothing, that would mean she could rest easy, knowing they had done the diligence, and if they managed somehow to get a few more followers, and maybe some financial support, for doing the right thing...well where was the harm in that?

Last edited by Alemar; Jan 20th, 2021 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Application Complete
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 03:08 PM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5379
Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael
COMPLETE

[Name:] Cade O'Connor
[Crew Role:] Host
[Race:] Human
[Class:] Bard
[Background:] Entertainer

Background: Cade grew up in small town Pennsylvania. His parents were ordinary hard working folks his mother a teacher and his father an accountant. Cade had one passion since early child hood and that was to be on TV! He wasn't the brightest and had to rely on a baseball scholarship to get him into a decent college. His parents were none to happy he wanted to pursue a career in entertainment. They felt it was a waste as he'd likely never strike it big. It was during one winter break he first saw a recruitment ad for a group called the Cold Case Crew. Disappointed at first that the group was not about drinking ice cold... adult beverages... Cade still decided to stay and hear out what the group was about. After all it was possible the drinks would come afterwards. When he learned they would need a host his eyes lit up. This could be his chance to be the front man on camera. Sadly it wasn't until after his buzz wore off he realized it was a podcast and not a documentary show. Cade still thinks they should get a camera and put videos up on YouTube at least.

Cade is a nice guy and can be super friendly to a fault. He is one of those guys who will talk to anyone and try to make friends with everyone so much so that he can come off a bit naive at first.

"Sorry...geez. So you're telling me no one else finds her name funny? Lemonstrap?" Cade couldn't hide the ear to ear grin he had on his face as he tried to force back another chuckle. "We should pick more names like that."
He grabbed a beer as he watched the others talk over the notes.

"Facts are fine but is it going to be entertaining? If I drone on about numbers and dates I'm going to put myself to sleep and the audience. It needs and edge. We should talk about some of the funnier things that happened to us and strange people we met. Like that lady who kept talking to her cat during the interview."

Another in the group chimed in. "You mean like that guy who shook your hand for a minute solid and kept staring at you in the eyes?"

Cade squinted. "That wasn't weird. He was just being friendly. He even invited me to his trailer. He must have been having a party or something...." Leaning back in his chair he sighed.

"So where are we going again?"

Last edited by Anael; Jan 21st, 2021 at 01:15 PM.
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 08:37 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7398
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Hey NightCheese! Your game looks fun. Now I wish I didn't need to lightening my game load so much. I would have applied. Hope you all have loads of fun. NightCheese is really cool.
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 12:49 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12646
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Let me second what Lydklein said. NightCheese is an amazing (role)player and am sure an equally amazing GM. Apply, people! You are not going to regret it.
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 01:05 PM
Pseudodragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7851
Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous
Ooh, this is a great concept! Placeholder.
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 07:39 PM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5379
Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael
Ok updated the app let me know if you need more.
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 09:52 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 152
Shatterstorm Shatterstorm
Complete
right-aligned image

[Name:] Paul Ironheart
[Crew Role:] Meat Shield, Older and Wiser head.
[Race:] Human
[Class:] Monk/Fighter
[Background:] Paul Ironheart, grandson of William Ironheart, one of the highly decorated Windtalkers, was born in 1975. Growing up on the Pine Ridge Reservation was never easy even at the best of times. No one ever seemed to have enough. Of anything.

By the time he was in his mid-teens Paul was already tired of the constant fighting. Often over little more than scraps, just as often over nothing at all. Graduating from the small high school in 1993, Paul went the same day and signed up for the U.S. Army, determined to get out of the cycle of poverty. Boot Camp was a breeze for one who grew up in his shoes, and his Drill Sergeant recommended him for Ranger Training straight out of Boot.

In 1996, during a live fire training exercise Paul took a .227 round to the back of his skull. After months of surgery and rehab, a solid steel plate now comprising almost 15% of his skull, he was Honorably Retired, with a nice little medical pension.

Paul wandered around the U.S. for nearly three years, looking for someplace to settle. When he found the little town of Outskirts he decided to stay for a short while in such a nice, quiet, town. He found himself getting to know the people Outskirts, and not leaving.

In 2002 the Old Sheriff, nearly in his 80's, retired. His Deputy moved up to full Sheriff, and Paul found himself being pushed by the townspeople to take the job of Deputy.
"Paul, come here."

I recognize that tone of voice. This is going to be bad news. Glancing over at the kids, I get a feeling, and sigh.

"Yeah, John, what do you want?"

"Paul, these kids are stupid. They come out here to the desert, to stay outside, and not one of them was smart enough to bring a gun. The last thing we need is a bunch of angry parents throwing around lawsuits because their precious little darling had a run in with a coyote or no shoulder."

"Oh, come on John, don't do this to me. You know I had a date with Sally tonight. I had to break off the last two because of the job, don't make me do it to her again."

"I'm sorry, Paul, but you're my only choice. I'll call Sally and explain it to her. Just stay with the kids for a couple of days, let them work this little fad out of their blood, and get 'em back to town safe. I'll log you in for Overtime starting now until you get back. Buy Sally a nice ring, not that little thing you were looking at last week."

I almost swallow my tongue. "How...how did you know about that?"

"Paul, when will you learn? If something happens in my town and I don't know about it, put me in for a psyche eval." John settled his gunbelt on his hips. "For what it's worth, I am sorry."

"Yeah, boss, you always say that. Alright damnit, sentry duty it is."

Last edited by Shatterstorm; Jan 30th, 2021 at 12:44 AM.
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 11:25 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10660
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Aisling Byrne
right-aligned image
art by Pernille Ørum
[Name:] Aisling Byrne

[Crew Role:] Associate Producer

[Race:] Human (Custom Lineage from Tasha's)

[Class:] Social Warlock

[Background:] Ever since she was a young girl, Aisling dreamed of being a writer. She always had an eye for a good story, for finding a way to draw people in, to grab their attention, hold their focus, and connect with them on a deep and personal level. This is what drew her to journalism - the desire to help tell other people’s stories. However, Aisling had no interest in being the one in front of the cameras. Always a little bit quiet and awkward, she would never understand the compulsion that some felt to be in the spotlight. Yet she managed to shine in one-on-one interactions. This is what ended up making her a great producer. When it came to negotiating permits for her crew to film in secure locations, or convincing reluctant subjects to open up and share their stories, or getting the most out of an interview, there were few who could match the natural talent Aisling had for the job.

[RP Sample:] Aisling sighed as she approached the door to the big old farmhouse and gently rapped against it with her knuckles. Another fine mess to solve.

Her host had gone and pissed off another one of their key witnesses. He was a fine actor, don't get me wrong. And he had a fair sense of what worked for TV - which unfortunately began and ended with him. He had that doofy smile and chiseled looks that people just loved to watch. He was somehow just "generic" enough that viewers saw him as an everyman and projected either themselves or their ideal partner onto him, and yet he was "above average" enough to always look better rolling our of bed than they would after an extreme makeover. The problem was that while viewers had such an easy time projecting themselves onto him, he was almost entirely incapable of ever really seeing things from anyone else's point of view. Which inevitable led to constant catastrophes - just like this one - and Aisling was left to patch things up.

The door inner door opened with a creak, but the screen remained firmly in place as a barrier between, one that was as clear and deliberate as the tone of the voice that came through that screen."I already done told yer boss, I ain't doin' no interview, so y'all may as well scoot offa my property."

Aisling resisted the urge to roll her eyes at the reference to "her boos." The host was most certainly not her boss. If anything she had way more to do with what actually happened on the show. But he was "the talent," and talent always took top billing. Aisling took a deep breath to maintain her composure before she responded.

"Mr. Lemonstrap, if I could just get a quick moment of your time --"

"Ain't got no moments fer yer kind neither." the gruff reply cut her off short "Ya think I ain't know 'bout you city-folk 'n' yer shows? Y'all plannin' to make me out to be some sorta pedophile or abuser or something. Make it look like I was the one drove my Susanna away. Well, ya ain't gettin' my help to make yer story."

"Mr. Lemonstrap, I promise you that's not what we're here to do." Aisling replied, somehow both soothingly and earnestly pleading in the same breath. "Cade may come off a little arrogant at times (believe me, I know), but I',m the one who'll be editing out all his ridiculousness so that we can get the real story here: your story. His clowning around is something we have to put up with to get people listening, but what matters in the end is that your story gets out there and hopefully gets heard by someone who knows what happened to Susanna, someone who can help us find her."

Last edited by rhaiber; Jan 21st, 2021 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 12:01 PM
Eternally Snacking Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2623
NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese
@Anael Got it - thanks!

Thank you for the great apps so far, all! Just a friendly reminder to mark them as complete at the top of your post when finished. It helps me know when to go back and read them.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 08:27 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27
Oran
Sebastian Pearson
right-aligned image
art by littleulvar
[Name:] Sebastian Pearson

[Crew Role:] Sound Tech/Videographer & Opener of not-so-legal doors

[Race:] High Elf

[Class:] Rogue

[Background:] Ever since he was young, watching and listening to the dulcet tones of Sir David Attenborough, Sebastian wanted to make documentaries. They were the only things that taught him at home, his parents were either always working or always drinking. What subject these would be on evolved with his age. From toys, to video games, to eventually as he entered college, the different cultures and history of humanity. Robert Flahtery, Jean Rouch, Robert Gardner... These are Sebastian's heroes. Anthropological giants who revolutionized the documentary as a medium. But before he could become one of these greats, he actually needed to get something under his belt.

At first he tried to follow his passion, but no one else seemed interested in making a series about the intricate codes and rules that applied to the city's nightlife. So, instead he pivoted to what has popular, and signed up to the Cold Case Crew. Much to his disappointment, it was an audio only gig. But he knew enough about audio, at least more than the others, so he became the 'sound guy'. He has however undertaken a small personal project along the way, a short film on the unique people and their beliefs that live in Outskirts.

Last edited by Oran; Jan 23rd, 2021 at 02:44 AM.
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 06:26 AM
Two-Headed Basilisk

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3857
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
COMPLETE
Character Details
left-aligned image

Name: Benjamin (Benny) Romero

Crew Role: Sound Tech, Editor, "Roadie"

Race: Human (Half-Orc)

Class: Barbarian

Background: Benjamin "Benny" Romero would be an imposing-looking guy even without all the intimidating metalhead accoutrements he's cultivated over his twenty-something years. He stands over 6 feet tall, with broad, muscular shoulders and long, jet-black hair. His dark eyes and wide, square chin make it look like he's scowling even when he's smiling. Add to that an all-black-everything wardrobe, studded cuffs, and denim vest bristling with spikes, and Benny becomes a glowering death-metal giant. Despite his prickly outward appearance, Benny is actually sweet, intelligent, and fiercely loyal. He is usually very soft-spoken and reserved, only becoming loud and animated when drinking heavily or talking about one of his special interests (music, horror movies, sci-fi/fantasy books, and RPGs).

Benny is the third kid of six in the Romero family, all boys. With that many people living in one three-bedroom ranch, you have to practically kill somebody to get noticed. Luckily for Benny, he and his dad have always shared a particular fondness for music, and it's made them very close. Throughout high school, Benny and his dad spent every free evening together trying to restore an old Chevy van (dubbed "Vandalf the Grey") while blasting their favorite heavy metal songs, much to the annoyance of their suburban neighbors.

Benny tried his hand at making music when he was a teen, playing bass in a few garage bands with friends. They were mostly terrible at it, their only Bandcamp hits coming from classmates and parents trying their best to be supportive. In his senior year, a sympathetic guidance counselor suggested Benny look into music production. It was a revelation for Benny, who (after considerable effort and cajoling) convinced his parents to help him apply for a music tech program at college. As an undergrad, Benny recorded and mixed tracks for his friends' bands, and helped lug equipment in exchange for beer and a spot in the green room at shows. But, as it goes with degrees in the arts, Benny discovered after graduation that music production was as much a pipe dream as headlining concerts as a bassist. ("Seriously," he would lament to his buddies over beers that summer, "who the hell requires three-to-five years' experience for an entry-level gig? And how am I s'posed to pay rent in the exposure small labels are paying?") Saddled with stupid amounts of student loan debt and no prospects, Benny was forced to move home and take on a few dead-end jobs to staunch his financial wounds while living in the basement of his parents' place.

RP Sample
right-aligned image
Benny steps out of the humid, greasy kitchen and into the cool night air of the back lot. He can still hear his supervisor, Glenn, shouting over the jangling honky-tonk streaming out the back door of the Playin' Possum Bar & Grill. Punctuating the my-woman-left-me-and-my-dog-done-died lamentations of the band are Glenn's cries of, "Don't you walk away from me!" and, "What, you too good for this job, college boy?!" Without looking back, Benny slams the door behind him. He breathes a sigh, half relief, half abject panic. This is really happening. Benny digs his phone out of his pocket and reads "The Text" for the hundredth time - one sentence, half-shouted in manic capitals: DUDE come to NEW MEXICO!! He still hasn't replied, and The Text just sits there, growing heavier by the hour. But now the wheels are in motion. He's doing it. Just a few things left to button up. Benny swipes away The Text for now and pulls up Mark's number. Mark is Benny's boss at his second job preloading delivery trucks, and he's about to get hit with a 0-weeks notice letter. Sucks to be Mark, Benny thinks, as he hits "Send" on the hastily composed message.

That done, Benny squelches down the short flight of steps to the parking lot, his combat boots still half-filled with gray mop-water. As he walks across the lot toward his car, he tugs free the strings of his grease-spattered apron, which he balls up and tosses over his shoulder into an overflowing dumpster. When he reaches the car--a beat-to-hell Honda Civic bought with money he earned working a job just as crappy as the one he's walking out on--Benny yanks open the door and reaches for the wad of black fabric laying on the front seat. With a snap he unfurls his signature black denim vest, replete with patches, pins, and studs, all gleaming wickedly under the solitary yellow streetlight. He shrugs on the vest and climbs into the car. Before leaving, Benny takes a moment to queue up the Spotify playlist he's been working on practically since graduation, aptly titled, "Rage Quit." The Text might have been the final push he needed, but this was not a total impulse decision; Benny has been looking for a way out ever since he had to move back home after college. The car stereo shrieks to life with the wails of öbscüre Scandinavian death-metal, "WEEAAAAHHHGGGHHHHHH!!!" Now for the hard part, Benny thinks, and heads for home.

There was some serious parental blowback when Benny told his folks about quitting his jobs. There was even more when he told them about his plans to go to New Mexico. His mom actually cried when she found out that Benny would be putting his student loans into deferment. Eventually she just gave up arguing, literally throwing her hands in the air and shouting a teary, "Fine! Just leave, then!" before retreating to the back bedroom.

Now Benny stuffs the last of the recording equipment into the trunk of his car with a grunt. He's not particularly worried about being careful; the gear was already pretty much trashed when he got it, liberated from a dumpster when they overhauled his college campus' music studios. He can hear his dad crunching down the driveway in his flip-flops. He slams the trunk closed and turns, braced to confront one last round of criticism. "She's just worried about you, Ben," his dad offers lamely. The elder Romero kicks up a low cloud of dust, scuffing his foot back and forth over the gravel. "Look," he says, casting a hesitant glance back at the house, "when mom finds out you're still on our phone plan you're not gonna be able to stream music anymore." At first Benny doesn't understand, but then his dad presses something cool and heavy into his palm - a first gen iPod. "Still works. Got all the good ones on it. Some older stuff too. Like, classics." Benny mumbles a thank-you, turning the player over and over in his hand. For a few moments the world is quiet, save the chirrups of nighttime insects.

With a final, "Alright," his dad turns to leave. After a step or two he stops, then turns back. He points to Benny's t-shirt, emblazoned with an illustration of a winged cattle skull - the Spirit of Gonzo from "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." Another of their many shared passions. "Buy the ticket..." he quotes. "Take the ride," Benny finishes. His dad smiles, a broad, toothy grin. "You're gonna be alright, kid. Now get lost."

Benny squeezes his broad frame into the driver's seat, and the poor little Civic groans in futile protest as he settles down. He switches on the iPod, bathing the interior of the car in electric blue light. Benny spins the click-wheel and hits shuffle. ...I don't know where I'm goin'... The first lines of Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again" come rattling through the car's tiny speakers. Benny snorts, grinning despite himself. He's not a superstitious person, but if omens were real, this would feel like a good one.

Benny finally replies to The Text, typing, Wouldn't miss it before spinning the stereo volume to MAX and dropping the car into drive. Like most good adventures, this one starts with the squeal of tires and a spray of gravel, barely audible over pounding drums and a screaming guitar riff.

Last edited by Mallothi; Jan 27th, 2021 at 06:33 PM.
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 11:01 AM
Let's Be Strange

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4589
Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec
As a former New Mexican and podcaster, I can't pass this game up. Placeholder here!

Last edited by Lashiec; Jan 23rd, 2021 at 12:10 PM.
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 06:56 PM
Story Harvester

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1320
PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine
Interested

This sounds amazing! Placeholder. Time to get writing. Woo hoo!