DnD5e Cold Case Crew – Season One: Tumbleweeds - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 08:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 103
TibbyLTP TibbyLTP
Oh, and not a big deal NightCheese, but I did change my race/class
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 02:28 AM
Story Harvester

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1320
PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine
Sydney's Application

Complete
right-aligned image

Name: Sydney Martindale

Crew Role: Financier, Best Travel Buddy (Driver & Supplier of Coffee), and Medic

Race: Halfling (Lightfoot)

Class: Cleric (Life Domain)

Background:

Syd’s parents, though divorced, expected her to have a plan - a plan that mapped out her academic career up to at least a Master’s degree, if not a PhD if she were going to go through with medical school. They also expected her to have a plan for when she was going to come visit, or when she was going to change her major back to anything other than a random jumble of liberal arts subjects and a scattering of certifications, including one that had her as a registered emergency medical response technician, and a wildlife first aid...person. They were thrilled (not) when she asked them to finance a summer vacation in Mexico, and she lied to save her parents the worry (and herself from the pain of their resistance)...and instead joined up with Doctors Without Borders to help with traveling refugees. You see, Syd’s family is loaded. Old money. Some new money. Stocks. Investments. **** like that. Being privileged and entitled did not suit her heart. Her social peers did not like her lack of enthusiasm to be near them or join them in hedonistic extracurricular activities. Granted, Syd loves fun and luxurious things, but she isn’t like the stereotypical spoiled rich kid. She wanted to read books, study, and just learn new and exciting things. Syd would sooner be found in the library entertaining herself by finding old books on Celtic faerie tales and ancient religions than sit around drunk or high with people she despised.
The type of friend she was in college was the sort who would buy beer and pizza when everyone was broke; if someone was sick, she’d get them something edible from the cafeteria or serve up a can of noodle soup in a pot. Syd was the go-to for a shoulder to cry on, say seemingly crazy things to because who is she to judge? or she was the person to call if there was a roommate issue. Syd could be viciously protective when it came to her friends’ well-being, and would find herself shoving drunk, loud, obnoxious dorm-mates the hell away when sleep was necessary for an early morning exam. Though sincerely sweet, she could be rather spirited, to say the least.

Syd was far from satisfied with her academic achievements and job offerings, especially when she saw how her friends were collaborating and creating this adventurous and intriguing podcast. Looking for and talking about dead people - or missing people who could still be alive - How morbid and Scooby Gang-ish it was. A hint of danger, travel, conspiracies, being an investigator (maybe they'd even throw in ghost-crypto hunting, which would be add such a Fortean vibe for an episode or two) - she was open to it all. How could they not want her on their mission? She’s not squeamish, nor is scared easily. She’s super organized, super supportive, could give advice on medical terminology, and has an upbeat attitude. If they found a bone...Who was going to tell them it was a femur or an ulna? Or it belonged to a human being or a cow? No one else but her, that’s who. Ok, maybe someone else, but she knows her bones. On top of that, her Mom pushed her for the past four years to be ‘entrepreneurial’. So, with 'entrepreneurial' motivation, she showed up to where the podcast meeting was occurring with all of the espresso drinks and boba anyone could want, and merrily offered to invest in them and the adventure to New Mexico.

Role Play Sample:

If the air could crackle with energy and explode in glitter, it would have as Syd, excited about the road trip, jumped out of the polished apple red Grand Cherokee in front of the designated meeting spot. Yes...She loves espresso and strong, sweet coffee; it’s her vice and brightens her day. When the Cold Case Crew came out of the building with their backpacks and equipment, she introduced everyone to “Moxie”, sweeping her arm towards the fabulous graduation gift she received. “It has night vision. It has thermal vision. It can sense if we’re playing too much cowbell, or …” Her pink lips curl into a knowing grin as she eyes the researcher of the group playfully, “...if someone is not partaking in the sing-along tradition because they want to hear an audio book instead.” Syd paused and removed a black scrunchy from her wrist and pulled her pale blonde hair back. A hint of a smile lingered on her lips as she remembered the road trip they all took together last Spring Break. Finding her voice again, she continued, barely containing her Oprah-like joy, “Once you enter the vehicle, you will all find that you have won brand new headphones for the trip!” On that note, she popped the hatch of the super-sized on-and-off-roading vehicle and added. “You’ll find the checklist in the purple binder. I’ve already checked off the cooler and med duffle, including a snake venom kit...because there are rattlers.” Eventually, the exuberant energy tapered out as she got down to business and assisted with packing the car. Once everyone had settled in their seats, plugged in their chargers, and found the array of healthy snacks (and box of donuts) left for them, the enchanting music of a Broadway show tune started to softly filter in through the speakers to start off their journey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cropped sydney_tumbleweeds.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	89248  

Last edited by PlaidPeregrine; Jan 23rd, 2021 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Cleaning up a bit.
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 06:46 AM
Eternally Snacking Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2623
NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese
Quote:
Originally Posted by TibbyLTP View Post
Oh, and not a big deal NightCheese, but I did change my race/class
Noted! Thanks for letting me know.
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 12:10 PM
Let's Be Strange

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4489
Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec
COMPLETE

right-aligned image
[Name:] Thomas "TomTom" Ventura
[Crew Role:] Self-Proclaimed "Artistic Director"/The One With a Car
[Race:] Rock Gnome
[Class:] Druid

[Background:] TomTom has never been seen wearing anything beside shorts and Y'know — these deals:
those poncho hoodies that you might reasonably assume that, at any given point, it has a hacky sack hidden somewhere deep within its folds. TomTom's age is ambiguous, simultaneously 20 and 30, though his demeanor suggests a number closer to the first. He is in his junior year of college, an art major with half-baked plans to open up a venue space for musicians and artists in Colorado once he earns his degree. His hobbies include bass guitars, ska and reggae shows, creating multimedia art, and what he calls "just chillaxing."

[RP Sample:]Possibly the only reason TomTom was invited on this investigation is that he was the only one with a vehicle large enough to carry the podcasting team and all their gear. TomTom takes a pull off a complicated-looking vape rig as the 1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer putters down the desert highway, barely holding onto life. He doesn't seem to be any of the party's friend, yet he believes he is everyone's friend. In fact, everyone in the SUV is acquainted with TomTom in some fashion, but no one seems to really know him.

It's hours into the drive to Outskirts, New Mexico. It seems that in that time, Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds" has never unstuck itself from TomTom's head. It seems the driver has an uncanny ability to sense when one of you is about to close your eyes for a quick nap because as soon as you do, TomTom belts out what is seemingly the only lyric he knows from the song:

'Singin' "Don't worry 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right."

TomTom is as bright-eyed and bushy-tailed when the SUV finally rolls into Outskirts as he was at the beginning of the trip. After putting the car into park, TomTom gets out and stretches while facing the sun. For all his annoying faults, he really does seem happy and in the moment at all times.

"Look at those colors, man!" TomTom exclaims to no one in particular, pointing out the purples and oranges the setting desert sun is painting in the sky. "Lovin' the Land of Enchantment! OH! We should get a shot of the crew standing in front of it — like a sick album cover or something!"

The wild-haired manboy insists on everyone standing on the quiet road so that he can take a photo with an old camera he brought along — one of very few items he brought on the trip. He takes a single horizontal photo and lowers the camera to reveal a goofy grin. "Yeeeah, let's go solve some murders, my dudes!"
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 10:35 AM

Tools
User Statistics
NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese
Hi all - reading through these applications and I want to thank you all for the time and energy put in to them so far. Great stuff!

A reminder... all players will still be in their human body when you pop out in DnD land the race from your application will be for the abilities etc. Please let me know if you have questions, happy to clarify.
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 12:27 PM
running in the shadows

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 159
DalamarDarkness DalamarDarkness
Complete

My first ever application - hope it's up to scratch

Charles Tingle
[Name:] Charles Tingle

[Crew Role:] Spiritual Advisor

[Race:] Dragonborn - Green ancestry

[Class:] Upper, annoyingly so… (but otherwise…Wizard - Necromancer)

[Background:] Charles is the 6th Baron Huntinghurst following the oddly unexplained death of his father in a freak croquet accident. He inherited the family estate, horses, hounds and servants, which he values roughly in that order.

At approximately the same time that his father was putting mallet to ball, Charles had a striking vision. He had been in his rooms at the top of the newer west wing (which was just behind the older west wing) when he found himself suddenly shrouded in pitch darkness. He immediately lost his bearings and tripped over the chez lounge, only he didn’t stop falling… Spinning in the darkness made him decidedly queasy, but the was forgotten when a booming voice addressed him from out of the murk.

"Charles Tingle! "It said

"Erm….yes" Charles squeeked in response

"You will go to America "boomed the booming voice

"Must I?" Sobbed Charles, the thought of it was just awful.

"You must" continued the boom, "You are the 6th Baron Huntinghurst and your presence is required as the Spiritual Advisor to the Cold Case Crew"

"There must be some mistake, my father is the 5th Baron Huntinghurst, you must mean him?"

"Ah … yes … I may have been a little early … 3 … 2 … 1 … NOW you are the 6th Baron Huntinghurst" The voice boomed a little bashfully.

Reality returned with a woosh and a blinding light and Charles found himself lying on the chez lounge, drooling. He immediately ran downstairs and found his father sprawled on the croquet lawn, blood leaking from his ears and nose and an odd look of confusion on his still face.

Fast forward a year and Charles has followed the guidance of the booming voice and travelled to ‘the colonies’ in search of the Cold Case Crew. He doesn’t know why, but he just cannot shake the feeling that it is something he simply must do, and he won’t be stopped.

[RP Sample:]
Charles sat with his legs neatly crossed and his hands resting neatly in his lap. His hair was neatly combed and neatly parted just to the left of centre, as it had been since he was five years old. He was speaking to the young man seated opposite him slowly and increasingly loudly.

"Look, I know that you have all the breeding of that mongrel puppy over there, but it really isn’t all that difficult a concept to grasp; I have a direct line to a higher power and that, in combination with my bloodline which, as I have explained, goes back to William the sodding Conqueror, makes me the superior party in this conversation.

That, my fair yet simpering young man makes you the inferior party, and as such you are by definition the one that GOES AND GETS THE COFFEE!!"

Charles gently tapped the corners of his perfectly formed mouth with his pocket handkerchief, wiping away the flecks of spittle that his tirade had landed there. Taking a deep breath he carefully re-folded it and tucked it back in his suit jacket breast pocket. All the time his eyes never left the young man in the other chair at the small table in “La Rosta” a small (but well reviewed on Trip Advisor) boutique coffee house just off main street.

He settled back and pointedly glanced at the counter, then back at the eyes of his opposite number, then back at the counter.

"Flat white, half (pronounced harf) caffeine, oat milk and just a half smidge of brown sugar, if you please"

"When you return, we shall discuss in more detail where I may find the Cold Case Crew, whom despite your protestations, I am fully aware that you are acquainted with. The spirits you see, they don’t lie, and I have, as I have mentioned on several occasions, a direct line. Now off you trot…"

Last edited by DalamarDarkness; Jan 28th, 2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 01:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2170
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightCheese View Post
if you have questions, happy to clarify.
Just curious, the Dwarf is the only medium sized creature with a reduced movement speed...are you going to homebrew that they move as humans do, or are they still going to move at 25ft per turn (dwarves have some awesome stat adjustments but that walk speed sucks)
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 01:42 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemar View Post
Just curious, the Dwarf is the only medium sized creature with a reduced movement speed...are you going to homebrew that they move as humans do, or are they still going to move at 25ft per turn (dwarves have some awesome stat adjustments but that walk speed sucks)
I think for ease of clarity, they'll assume all traits and abilities of the race specified. I could certainly be swayed, though!
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 04:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2170
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightCheese View Post
I think for ease of clarity, they'll assume all traits and abilities of the race specified. I could certainly be swayed, though!
I'm going to be sticking with Rock Gnome (which also only have 25 ft. of movement because they're small creatures) but since I'm intending to play an average sized female human (which is a medium size and speed of 30ft) do I give her a limp? Do I only notice that I mysteriously walk slower in the other realm? or do I say "screw it" and move the same as every other "human" that crossed over with me lol? I'm fine either way, but I've actually had to miss rounds of combat before because my Dwarven Barbarian just couldn't run fast enough to get there at the same time as the rest of the party. Since I think of Wizards as more a ranged DD/Support class rather than a melee, I'm perfectly fine with staying a little further away from the fighting; I was just curious incase another applicant chose Dwarf to see if it would come up.

Last edited by Alemar; Jan 28th, 2021 at 04:41 PM. Reason: fixing grammar
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 10:09 AM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5379
Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael
For movement I don't think you need a limp or an explanation. Some people are just slower then others. We all don't walk or run at the same pace. Track would be a very boring sport if that were true. Running away could be trouble but there is no reason why a group could not just say we run at the same pace to ensure everyone gets there at the same time when heading into battle if that was an issue.

However, the other mechanics stuff may need be hand waived or explained by its "magic" like would a small character still be able to ride a medium mount or suffer the penalty using anything with the heavy tag?
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 11:02 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anael View Post
For movement I don't think you need a limp or an explanation. Some people are just slower then others. We all don't walk or run at the same pace. Track would be a very boring sport if that were true. Running away could be trouble but there is no reason why a group could not just say we run at the same pace to ensure everyone gets there at the same time when heading into battle if that was an issue.
This is exactly how I'm going to look at it as DM. As an example, when my best friend and I walk side by side, they are six inches taller than me, and have a much wider gait. I am practically jogging if they walk any faster than a slow stroll.

I can promise, with 100% certainty, that this won't have any effect on the amount of fun you have in the game. I can also promise that there won't be many instances where covering that amount of ground at a high speed will matter.

I don't think it's necessary to have to explain the slower walking speed or overthink it. You'll all be put in situations to help you discover your "new abilities" and the circumstances in which the nitty gritty of movement and size will come in to play will be rare, if at all.
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 12:45 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 152
Shatterstorm Shatterstorm
Made some updates to Paul.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 10:19 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the interest so far!

I have been reading through applications and am starting to think about what characters will fit together. I might reach out with questions.

I am going to close this application early, on February 10th
. If you had planned to get in an app but haven't yet, please do it by then. Thanks!
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 02:18 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Applications for this game will close tomorrow (2/10) at noon EST. Please make sure to finish RP samples by then if needed!
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 11:49 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you all for the interest and applications! It was hard to narrow it down. If you're interested in this game... stay tuned! If season one goes well, there will be a season two and the crew will need additions!

Our players for season one are:
  • Mallothi - Benny Romero
  • Anael - Cade O’Connor
  • Alemar - Selena Rodgers
  • PlaidPeregrine - Sydney Martindale
  • Shatterstorm - Paul Ironheart

Follow this link to COLD CASE CREW SEASON ONE: TUMBLEWEEDS