Notices

Old Feb 1st, 2021, 09:59 PM
Angry Lucario

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1203
Dechado Dechado Dechado Dechado Dechado Dechado Dechado Dechado Dechado
Lost Mine of Phandelver

Currently closed! Thank you so much for the interest!
Game NameLost Mine of Phandelver

Game SystemDungeons & Dragons 5e

DescriptionMore than five hundred years ago, clans of dwarves and gnomes made an agreement known as the Phandelver's Pact, by which they would share a rich mine in a wondrous cavern known as Wave Echo Cave. In addition to its mineral wealth, the mine contained great magical power. Human spellcasters allied themselves with the dwarves and gnomes to channel and bind that energy into a great forge (called the Forge of Spells), where magic items could be crafted. Times were good, and the nearby human town of Phandalin (pronounced fan-duh-lin) prospered as well. But then disaster struck when orcs swept through the North and laid waste to all in their path.
A powerful force of orcs reinforced by evil mercenary wizards attacked Wave Echo Cave to seize its riches and magic treasures. Human wizards fought alongside their dwarf and gnome allies to defend the Forge of Spells, and the ensuing spell battle destroyed much of the cavern. Few survived the cave-ins and tremors, and the location of Wave Echo Cave was lost.
For centuries, rumors of buried riches have attracted treasure seekers and opportunists to the area around Phandalin, but no one has ever succeeded in locating the lost mine. In recent years, people have resettled the area. Phandalin is now a rough-and-tumble frontier town. More important, the Rockseeker brothers—a trio of dwarves-have discovered the entrance to Wave Echo Cave, and they intend to reopen the mines.
Unfortunately for the Rockseekers, they are not the only ones interested in Wave Echo Cave. A mysterious villain known as the Black Spider controls a network of bandit gangs and goblin tribes in the area, and his agents have followed the Rockseekers to their prize. Now the Black Spider wants Wave Echo Cave for himself, and he is taking steps to make sure no one else knows where it is.

Character Creation and Application
This adventure is set for level 1 characters. I’m prioritizing new players over veteran ones, but anyone is welcome. If it gets popular enough, I can divide it into several groups.

Amount of gold is based on class and background.

I’m honestly fine with any type of Ability Score method. Point buy, Standard Array, or Rolling (Just don’t roll the die here. We’ll have a thread for that later on)

All published books are allowed when creating your character.

As for homebrew, let’s not overcomplicate it. Keep it simple. Just let me know what you’re planning to use. If it seems fair to the rest of the players and everyone agrees, I am willing to allow it. This includes Unearthed Arcana.
Application
Name:
*Sheet: (Not needed yet, but you’re free to go ahead and make one)
Race:
Class:
Alignment: (No evil alignments, please.)
Background:
*Traits: (Two please)
*Ideal:
Bond: (I need something to use against your character. A knife to twist. )
*Flaw:
*Personality:
Appearance: (Text is optional. But please provide an image of your character)

About the Player:
(This is the place to talk about yourself. An Ice Breaker so to speak, our session 0.
What do you expect of me as the DM, and what are you looking forward in the adventure?
Are you a player who loves roleplaying and engaging in diplomacy? Or do you like to jump straight into action and focus heavily on combat? Are you a casual player, or do you enjoy mix-maxing? Anything you want to add about yourself. Maybe your own experiences in another adventure, or wisdom you wish to share as a Dungeon Master. Or what about your own rpghorrorstories? You’re free to write as much or as little in this section.

*Posting Rate: (Once a day? two times a week, three? Once a week? Lemme know, so I can adjust my posting rate to yours. (: ) (I've several groups now, so best I can do is once a week. Thanks for understanding! <3)

*Optional or for latter use, or for roleplay potential.

Dungeon MasterHeyo, my name is Dechado. It means “Paragon” in Spanish, but that’s the joke, I’m anything but exemplary.
I’m fairly new to DM-ing, but I’ve been running matches in City of Endless Arenas. So I at least know what I am supposed to be doing har har.
Am I good at it? Nah.
Do I enjoy running games? Absolutely.

This section is meant to have me talk about myself, but honestly I’m very dull and boring.
Um. I like beast races.

[EDIT1]
Okay I can probably say a bit more stuff about myself now. Something that I think is important and that hopefully is reflected as we get to play together:

As your Dungeon Master, I am your best fan. I want you and your character to win. I loathe the idea of Player(s) VS DM.
Actions have consequences, but I won't actively seek to harm the players unless the setting fits.

Other
Players: 4 to 5 adventurers. If it gains enough interest, I’m willing to roleplay several groups. Right now I am waiting on confirmation from two friends of mine outside the forums, so it is possible we have at least two players already.
Posting Rate: This mostly depends on what the group consensus is. A lot of us look into forum roleplay as a highlight of our week, or just something fun on the side while we rest on the weekend. As default, I’ll do once a week. But I can speed up, or slow down depending on what the players are comfortable with. Communication is key, remember; Feel free to use the OOC thread to notify us if you need more time, or PM me directly. (:

FAQWhen's the Deadline?
February the 15th or as soon as I get 5 players. However, as mentioned above, I'm willing to do two or more groups if too many apply. So don't feel discouraged even if you see 5 applicants already. AHAHAHAHAHAHH̵̼̳͔͖̖̽̀͂̈͗͒̀̎̀̍͘Ą̸̡̧̬̤͕̥̘̼̼̟͎̀̾ͅH̵̝͕̖̉̈́̿̔̊̾͠ ̡̦̫̤͔Ą̷̛̜̹͙͖̭̳͓͂̊̄̌̾͘͝H̴̜̫͍̝͖̜̪̻̝̟͖̱̉͒͊̎͝͠Ȁ̴̤͇̘̈́ ̺͈̺H̴̡̡̨̬̜͙̹̫̣̩̘̜̏̑̓̒Ȃ̷̡̪͓̺͓̥̭̥̓̆̓͂̓̿̎̿́̑͆̅͝H̸̆̄̋ ̨̛̝͕̺̖͕̖̘͓̝̹͎̝̹̰̀̒̃̌̃̀̃̍̈́͒͝A̶͕̖͔͒͆̓͋̋̉̆͜͠AAAA̸̽́̾̚ ̡̢̧͎̠̦̺̱̖̭̫͇̩̺̀̽̒̄̎̍̇̀̑̅̽

If I do roll for stats, what method should I use?
Seven 4d6s drop the lowest.
Here's a Public Dice Rolling Thread in case you want to do that right away: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?t=208247

Do you have plans to continue the adventure after the module ends?
I'd be happy to! Highly depends if the players are comfortable with my DMing style, and would be interested in me homebrewing an adventure past Lost Mines.

PlayerPosting RateCharacterRaceClassApplication Status
MisterKent1-3/week    
JohnStone  GnomeRogue 
AG128L2/weekTorryn MightymawMountain DwarfBarbarianPlaying in another game
DanshiiWithWulfs1/dayAnise FlamberryMountain DwarfWarlockComplete
Kenjitsu1/dayKenHalf-ElfRogueComplete

Group 1CharacterPlayer Status
BjorgulfKrisstina ElafarenBusy
AlemarEhren Tel'ArimPlaying
SinnerBetaThorin the Troll BloodedPlaying
UGOTMERCdTheolin LightleafPlaying
xObelynThor'drak the SkaldMIA
LeDragonDolgin ThryrboldPlaying
YoshimiHathi KumarPlaying

Group 2CharacterPlayer Status
Arjuna332Kyrie AmberhideParental Leave
TfarleyThelaminPlaying
GilgameshiShadow of the StormRecuperating
CefreyCefrey HalfmoonMIA
WispGaelle BranwenPlaying
AlemarAlestair GhenningPlaying
SomersaultLeilene SproutPlaying
A7iceAiss RinzerPlaying

Group 3CharacterPlayer Status
DraiddenArmmiir RagmorPlaying
CrimsonAllister VolkPlaying
Runestone525Faen MeliamnePlaying
1SkellOmei of NeverwinterPlaying
ShulaPetyr BlackwaterPlaying

Group 4CharacterPlayer Status
dr kekyllTerras "Cliff" ClintonPlaying
ElCosoLocoLynnwen SongwaterPlaying
GrimshawThackeray RoyePlaying
ZangulAngus McGrillinPlaying
thefeywildKraog WindstarPlaying

Last edited by Dechado; May 13th, 2021 at 07:03 PM.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 05:22 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 890
Bjorgulf Bjorgulf Bjorgulf Bjorgulf Bjorgulf Bjorgulf Bjorgulf
Posting interest! Even though I've been playing 5e since launch, I've never actually got to fully experience an official adventure - only homebrew.

Are you planning on running the adventure past it's conclusion at around lvl 5? So I know what kind of short / long term plans I make for my char
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 09:23 AM
Angry Lucario

Tools
User Statistics
That's hard to answer. It mostly depends if people are happy with the way I DM and would like to go into a homebrewed setting after the module ends.
So let's go with... Yes?
Though truth be told, I've yet to see a character plan go accordingly. At some point, they end up writing themselves haha
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 10:44 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2170
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
left-aligned image

Name: Ehren Tel'Arim
Race: Teifling
Class: Paladin
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

-X-X-X-
Variant Noble from the PHB, I don't particularly care if I gain retainers or not, this is more a roleplay choiceCustom Knight
Trait #1 I work hard, so that I can play hard once work is done
Trait #2 I can have a crude sense of Humor
Ideal Chains are meant to be broken, as are those who forged them
Bond The common folk MUST see me as a hero
Flaw If I could get away with it...I would kill for a noble title

Personality: Ehren at first comes across as perhaps overly jovial, a down to earth young man who perhaps tries a little too hard to have people like him. If you were to hang around him long enough however, perhaps you might begin to question his intent. Does he really want to be everybody's friend? Or is it perhaps just a cover to try and take attention away from the fiendish heritage sprouting from his forehead? Is he buying that man a round, or buying that man for a later date? And what kind of 'Proper Noble' knows limericks about a sailor from the far away plane of Nantucket?

Question: Do we have a potential cut off date for applications in mind? I'm assuming you will get a lot of interest and was just wondering if you had an idea of when we might know if we got in to the game or not? Especially if you've already got 2 out of the 4-5 party members in mind.

About the Player:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dechado
What do you expect of me as the DM, and what are you looking forward in the adventure?
I would like you to be able to set a posting pace and to try and keep to it, I also expect you to have a plan on how to keep the story moving if things start to bog down. Other than that, I don't really know what to say? You're the one in charge of running the game and we just get to play in your world.

I am looking forward to hopefully being able to finish this Module, I have applied multiple times, but either haven't been selected, or was only able to really start before things fell apart.
Quote:
Are you a player who loves roleplaying and engaging in diplomacy? Or do you like to jump straight into action and focus heavily on combat?
Yes to Roleplaying, but not really to diplomacy all the time. It's great if your character can talk his/her/it's way out of anything, but those tend to only engage one player rather than the whole party. Combat to me is fun, so I do tend to prefer martial type characters that can get things done, and then move on to the next encounter.
Quote:
Are you a casual player? Or do you enjoy mix-maxing? Anything you want to add about yourself.
I guess you could call me a min/maxer? I believe that certain character races are more naturally suited to play specific classes. And while I wont tell you NOT to play a Rock Gnome Barb; if you asked me my opinion, I would mention that it doesn't have the best racials for that class. That being small sized means no big weapons to swing around, and that gnomes also receive a reduced movement speed for getting into melee range. I used to always want to play Variant Humans for access to the free feat and skill bonus at level 1, but I am also currently playing a Dwarven Bard who doesn't have proficiency in Performance...so that's not really optimized either?

Posting Rate: Varies by pace of game. I can do multiple posts per day if needed, and would prefer if it does not drop below 2/3 times per week (as stagnant games tend to die out in my experience.)
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 01:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dechado View Post
That's hard to answer. It mostly depends if people are happy with the way I DM and would like to go into a homebrewed setting after the module ends.
So let's go with... Yes?
Though truth be told, I've yet to see a character plan go accordingly. At some point, they end up writing themselves haha
What I rather meant was - no sense in planning a multiclass that takes off at level 5 if the game ends there

But I like your 'yes' so I'll throw in a concept soon!
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 01:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 737
SinnerBeta SinnerBeta SinnerBeta SinnerBeta SinnerBeta SinnerBeta SinnerBeta
Posting interest and reserving an app spot, I didn't get to play D&D in quite some time (forever DM), and a simple heroic adventure is what I need.

Will probably go with a fighter (battlemaster or eldritch knight) or perhaps ranger. The race will most likely be elf, halfling or dwarf, perhaps human if noone else wants to be one since it's weird to not have one in a party lol. What's your stance on firearms, such as muskets?

Quote:
"What do you expect of me as the DM, and what are you looking forward in the adventure?"
I just want to spend some fun time roleplaying with characters, doing some rolls and having a dramatic moment or two.
Quote:
"Are you a player who loves roleplaying and engaging in diplomacy? Or do you like to jump straight into action and focus heavily on combat? Are you a casual player, or do you enjoy mix-maxing?"
I guess a bit of all of the above, I like long roleplaying segments where we get to talk, then get some combat from time to time, I like having build ideas but I'm not into making a character from an optimized internet list.

Posting Rate: I can be sluggish at the start but once I get into the rhythm and figure out my character I sometimes post multiple times a day, depending on the hour you respond (work and sleep).

EDIT: seems we have some human apps after all, so I'll be posting my dwarf app to balance out all the elves.

Thorin the Troll Blooded
right-aligned image

Name: Thorin the Troll Blooded

Race: Dwarf (Mountain)

Class: Fighter

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Background: Clan Crafter

Traits: Stubborn and prideful, Thorin always knows best how do everything and will talk your ears off when describing his craft. He has no respect for slackers and cowards, as they're an insult to both his hard work ethics and fighting spirit.

Ideal: Thorin values his honor and the laws of his people above everything, and will do everything asked of him to regain the respect of his fellow dwarves as long as it doesn't come at the cost either of those.

Bond: His ancestral blacksmithing hammer, inherited from his father, and countless generations before him.

Flaw: After a lifetime of mockery and bullying Thorin is quick to anger against insults regarding his looks or parentage, his short fuse leading to his banishment after he let one of his outbursts turn violent, much to his own regret.

Personality: Bitter and stubborn but not through choice, Thorin's hard childhood changed the sweet child he used to be. And while today he's gruff on the outside he still has a soft inside, even if it requires some digging to get to.

Appearance: Aptly called Troll Faced as a child before he earned his nickname as Troll Blooded, Thorin is far from a handsome dwarf and he knows it, keeping his helmet on as a habit. However beyond an ugly face he doesn't stand out much among his peers, being of slightly above average height and build, aside from one detail: a scraggy, thin and short (for a dwarf) beard that took him years to properly grow out, causing him even more shame than his face.

Last edited by SinnerBeta; Feb 3rd, 2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 01:48 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 265
UGOTMERCd UGOTMERCd UGOTMERCd
right-aligned image

Name: Theolin Lightleaf
Race: Wood Elf
Class: Monk
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Theolin was orphaned at a young age and ended up at the monastery where he was trained. The head of the monastery has dictated that it is finally time to go out into the world to do good.
Traits: Theolin has been part of a secluded, quiet society for such a long time that he tends to speak infrequently, preferring gestures and monosyllabic answers.
Theolin tends to be calm, very rarely getting excited or upset.
Ideal: To do good, where good needs to be done, however it must be accomplished.
Bond: Those who caused Theolin to be orphaned are in fact still seeking him, and he must someday face them or be hunted forever.
Flaw: Sometimes Theolin is too emotionless. It is difficult to pursue truely good deeds when one lacks empathy.

About the player: I'm very new to PBP and RP in general. I'm hoping that a new adventure will gain me some experience.

Last edited by UGOTMERCd; Feb 2nd, 2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 02:17 PM
Angry Lucario

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by Dechado; Feb 2nd, 2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 02:45 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 737
SinnerBeta SinnerBeta SinnerBeta SinnerBeta SinnerBeta SinnerBeta SinnerBeta
Well mechanically they're very much more expensive crossbows. But since a musket costs 500 GP it wouldn't make sense to start with one, rather I'm asking if you're going to incorporate such weapons into the setting (not as a common weapon, but say a noble here and there has a few pistols, maybe a few men-at-arms or mercenaries with a few muskets and occasionally some merchant selling a beautifully ornate gun as if it's a rare elf sword), or are we sticking to classical fantasy with no gunpowder?

After that getting some lead for bullets and a merchant that sells gunpowder shouldn't be that hard.

Speaking of sidekicks, I'd like to have a trusty dog without going ranger, or some sort of squire - how about paying a feat for a side-kicking with a (PC level-3) level? Any opinions on followers and hireling for someone that wants to make a sort of mercenary character that wants to start his own company and starts hiring people?

And speaking of followers is this concept too silly: dragonborn fighter with the noble (knight) background, but modified so instead of regular servants he has a few non-combat kobolds following him around after he convinced them he's a small dragon and they should worship him.

Last edited by SinnerBeta; Feb 2nd, 2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 03:02 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 265
UGOTMERCd UGOTMERCd UGOTMERCd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dechado View Post
Looks good to me. I'm assuming you picked the Hermit background.
Just need your posting rate information.[/SPOILERBUTTON]
Ah, sorry. Yes, I did pick the Hermit background. If you need anything else I'm happy to work it out. If you're satisfied with everything here, I'll go ahead and make a character sheet.

As for my posting rate, at the moment I'm very flexible. If the party is a 2-3 per week group, no problem. If the party is a 1-2 per person per day, I can even handle that. From what I'm seeing elsewhere on RPGx, I'm afraid of people losing interest if it's like... 1 per person per week or something that slow. But like I said, I'm pretty flexible myself.

Last edited by UGOTMERCd; Feb 2nd, 2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 04:27 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Krisstina
right-aligned image

Name: Krisstina Elafaren
Race: Elf (Wood)
Class: Ranger
Background: Criminal / Spy
Alignment: Neutral Good

Personality traits: I always have a plan for what to do when things go wrong. The best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can’t do it.

Ideal: Dignity. Freedom. Chains are meant to be broken, as are those who would forge them.

Bond: I escaped my life of poverty by robbing an important person, and I'm wanted for it.

Flaw: When I see something valuable, I can’t think about anything but how to steal it.

Appearance:
Most con men put in a lot of effort into going unnoticed and make their appearance as forgettable as possible. Not Krisstina though. She learned to use her appearance to her advantage. People tent to forget the other important things in life - like their possessions - when she enters their line of sight.
Her attire consists of shades of dark blue and dark purple. Black is for amateurs. Black stands out in a dark room like an elephant trying to hide behind a cactus. There's no complete darkness unless you close your eyes - and even then stars start to play before your pupils.

About the Player:
I am fairly new to PbP but have been playing D&D since 3.5 came out, occasionally DMing one-shots for friends or colleagues. I'm not a min-maxer, but rather enjoy building characters and exploring how they react to moral choices throughout adventures, and how these choices shape up their persona.

Can't say I have any special expectations from the DM, as for the adventure - to have fun with the rest in the group!

Are you a player who loves roleplaying and engaging in diplomacy?
I like a good mix of both RP and combat, with a sprinkle of dungeon crawls, puzzles and exploration.

Posting Rate:
I can post 2-3 times per week - but not at all during weekends, when I dedicate my time to my family.

Last edited by Bjorgulf; Feb 3rd, 2021 at 11:19 AM.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 04:52 PM
Angry Lucario

Tools
User Statistics
@SinnerBeta
- I'm willing to allow firearms then. I'll work with you on that later on when you reach a city/town.
- Non-combat followers you're allowed to have as many as you want, as they'd act as personal NPCs and are there for roleplay purposes only.
Sidekicks act as supports, and have both roleplay and combat value, and I'll only have them become active if we do end up running low on players. Besides, sidekicks are always the same level as the player characters.
-If you're going the dragonborn with kobold followers/worshippers, they will seek safety as soon as a battle starts and cannot aid you during combat. Otherwise you're free to roleplay them as you see fit. (I personally think the idea is kinda neat. I love kobolds)

@Bjorgulf
-Bond needs work. A bond, in chaotic terms, is you giving me an NPC or several that I, as a DM, can use against your character to coerce them into fighting a BBEG. A knife I can twist, so to speak.
An example would be a childhood friend of Kristinna went missing long time ago, until recently, she heard news of him in a far away city. Her bond to that childhood friend actively persuades Krisstina to pick up adventure.
Another example would be a heist went wrong, and Krisstina was saved by a random pedestrian. She now wishes to repay that citizen for saving her life, and now goes all Robin Hood to help that specific NPC.

Last edited by Dechado; Feb 2nd, 2021 at 05:27 PM.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 05:55 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 161
xObelyn xObelyn
Thor'drak the Skald
right-aligned image

Name: Thor'Drak the Skald
*Sheet: Planning on rolling for stats so I'll wait to make the sheet.
Race: Orc
Class: Bard
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Background: Outlander
*Traits: I stood in the way of an axe bearing down on my friend, and I have the scar to prove it. While I was raised in a society behind walls, it will never be home to me.
*Ideal: While I learn find the better in others, I know some cannot be reached.
*Bond: Humans adopted me after killing my tribe, and the life I have will be an echo of their's.
*Flaw: The early memory of my tribe's slaughter has made me numb to the idea of dying.
*Personality: A creature of impulse and one with little empathy, Thor'drak is quicker to laugh at the fce of danger than to concern himself with his own harm. If he were to choose, it'd rather be him than his companions, as he learned straight way those that are in his company deserve to have the best he has to offer.

About the Player:
I'm still fresh off the tooth of using D&D for PbP format games and I know this would definitely be an awesome first time experience for myself. My playstle is more flavorlike, and while I enjoy not being worthless to the party, without variety where's the flavor of roleplaying? As for what I expect from my DM I would appreciate some custom backstory stuff to immerse into the game.

Posting Rate: Currently for the week I can do 20+ posts but that can drastically change afterward.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 06:05 PM
Angry Lucario

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome aboard.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 06:22 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 161