RPXP: 338
Wonderbeast Wonderbeast Wonderbeast Wonderbeast
Camp Rocky Falls

Game NameCamp Rocky Falls
Game SystemFATE Accelerated
ThemeAdventure, friendship, mystery
FlavourModern and lighthearted with a splash of the supernatural
Plot Summary

The sound of "Taps" playing over a crackling loudspeaker jolts you from a sound sleep. The sun hasn't even peeked over the horizon yet. The steady chirrup of crickets fills the brief silence between the canned trumpet music and the tinny voice that replaces it.

"Gooooood morning, campers! Time to rise and shine. Welcome to Camp Rocky Falls! This is Camp Director Deanna Larsen with the announcements. This morning's activities include Connie's Crafting Corner in Hawk Lodge, Introduction to Archery with Tyler in the quad, open play at the basketball court, and free-swim at the lake. Breakfast will be served from 6 to 7:30, followed by assembly and break-out groups. So up and at 'em, boys and girls! It's a beautiful day to be alive!"

In this FATE Accelerated adventure, a group of ordinary campers* and/or camp counselors^ go through a perfectly normal day at Camp Rocky Falls in the beautiful woods outside Bumbletown, Indiana, USA. Everything is perfectly normal. Especially the strange occurrences. Oh, and rest assured, there have been no disappearances at Camp Rocky Falls. And certainly no murders. No murders at all. Not even one. Nope, not even that one.

I'm going for a fairly light-hearted feel with some weirdness and mystery mixed in. Expect a considerable amount of socialization and casual interaction with other players, some fun skill check-type mini-games, and a quirky mystery to unravel together!

And, as the saying goes, if at first you don't succeed...

Character apps:
Name/Nickname
Age (*High school age (15-19) ^College age (20-23))
Gender & pronoun preference
Brief bio/personality
3 unique interests
3 special skills

Reference pictures are encouraged but not required.

Character sheets:
FATE Accelerated is a free, rules-lite, easily accessible game system. Applicants are encouraged to take a peek at the rules, but creating character sheets and stuff can wait until the game gets started. The plan is for this game to be more about creative thinking and problem solving than any sort of combat or tactics. Also, I totally have to refamiliarize myself with the system, too. So... *cough*

Your gamemaster:
I used to play a lot of D&D but don't have any of my manuals anymore. I've been trying to be more positive and hopepunkish on account of the absolute nightmare of a year we endured in 2020. So I'd really like a fun, light-hearted, peculiar, mystery-type adventure with some like-minded folks. I love humor (and puns!) and will try to incorporate plenty of it as I'm able without derailing or commandeering the game. I *can* do dark and sinister, but I don't wanna and you can't make me. Unless you can; then my bad, you win a sticker.
Applicantskdtompos :: Penelope Guzman (artsy toughgirl)
Cap Ut :: Leonard Magliocco (logical stabber of things)
Skep :: Harrison Mondewell Jr. (trust fund animal hater)
Skep :: Lizzy Potts (crafty chillster)
Somersault :: Genie Stiles (sorority stargazer)
Crocodile :: Jeremy Tyson (firebug musician)
Dunderklumpen :: Saban Price (future conman)

Last edited by Wonderbeast; Apr 30th, 2021 at 10:22 AM.
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 11:23 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5568
ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka
I will always endorse Fate. Unfortunately the age range is not my cup'o'tea.

But I just wanted to express my joy with this ad. More Fate games need to happen.

Good luck, Wonderbeast
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 01:04 PM
Dapper Grizzly

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3816
kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos
Yes! I’m all about this game. I’m thrilled and familiar with Fate and Fate Accelerated, so I’ll get an app together.

Placeholder with more to come.

right-aligned image

Character app:
Name/Nickname: Penelope Rosa Guzman
Gender & pronoun preference: She/Her
Brief bio/personality
(I’m gonna just dump stuff here to refine more...)
  • Youngest child and only daughter of single dad — lots of brothers. Guzman boys are likely well known as bad news. So she’s tough and tomboy-ish out of necessity, but appreciates stereotypically “girly” things, though they’re fairly foreign to her. (Where’s mother? I don’t know, maybe define in play.)
  • Super artsy, makes or alters a lot of her own clothing—patches, lyrics, etc. She likes to draw on her shoes or self as well. Again, these tend to not be overly “feminine”.
  • Personality is effervescent and optimistic, but she’s a bruiser (all brothers) who mainly deals with conflict physically.
  • I’m also really toying with the idea of having a large body build. I want her to be super body positive and proud of the way she looks, but wrestle with others’ opinions of her as the outgoing, “fat” girl. But I want to handle this well.
  • Trouble aspect, I’m leaning toward naivety/gullibility/need-to-always-be-helpful. She obviously wouldn’t be subtle in her assistance as she’s an optimistic wrecking ball, but it would get stuff moving.
3 unique interests (ideas)
  • Art/Drawing/DIY
  • Mechanics/Restoring old cars
  • Jazz Music?
3 special skills
  • DIY - create functional or artful things with proverbial shoestrings and bubblegum.
  • Super tough or perseverant “for a girl”, as they say. I’d say it’s true for any human being her age.
  • Misfit - she gets along really well with those struggling or outcast.

Top Approaches:
Forceful, Clever, Quick

Art from the cover of Crystal Maldonado's Fat Chance, Charlie Vega

Last edited by kdtompos; Apr 19th, 2021 at 10:45 PM.
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 03:58 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
YOU GUYS! I'm so psyched for this. Totally no pressure or whatever, but I'm giddy with excitement to see what you come up with kdtompos. I gots all the secret plans for fun fun fun fun death fun!
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 05:09 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 211
Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut
I've never tried Fate, so I'm intrigued. How weird can we get with bio and special skills?
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 05:21 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hmm, well, we're not supers or anything like that. So I'd say limit it (for now) to stuff that normal humans can do. But if you want to dabble in the occult or psychic phenomenon or whatever, that'd be cool. Not capping it at "scientifically proven"... but definitely don't want to stray into X-Men territory here.
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 09:39 AM
Quasi-Retired
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6618
Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep
Man, this sounds like my jam though.

Purely out of curiosity, what sort of posting rate would you prefer?
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 10:39 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I'm planning to keep it as chill as possible. Since the game isn't focused on turn-based combat, but relationships and interactions, you could post a dozen times one week and then take a couple weeks off to learn the ins-and-outs of international financial markets or whatever. You could pack a ton into a single post or post multiple little posts. Meanwhile, I'll keep myself as open as I can to interact with those who want to post more.
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 10:48 AM
Dapper Grizzly

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3816
kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos
Do you want us to figure out any aspects yet, or wait on those? (As I’m coming up with ideas)
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 10:56 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
If you know the system and want to play with your concept, by all means!

And if you *don't* know the system and prefer to wait, I'll give some guidance before we jump into the game.
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 03:23 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 211
Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut
Application
right-aligned image
Artist: https://www.deviantart.com/neferu

Name/Nickname: Leonardo Magliocco
Gender & pronoun preference: He/Him

Brief bio/personality: Malioculus was the epithet once earned by a terrible man, whose glare alone was said to be capable of bringing ruin to its targets. The forgotten king Agrius, son of the enchantress Circe, was his great-great-grandfather.
At least that's what is told about the origin of the family name Magliocco by the yellowed pages of an old tome in the library of a humble house in Volterra's countryside.
Leonardo has never cared much about those fairy tales, nor does he care about fairy tales in general: he's more interested in rationality, in what can be seen or produced by reason. Mathematics and philosophy are thus his predilect intellectual pursuits and he can spend days doing little else than pondering in solitude on such subjects.

Thinking and thinking of course can get tiring, so it's nice if body and instincts take the reins from time to time. Of all physical activities, Leonardo definitely favors combat sports (armed ones like fencing in particular), for two main reasons: first, no teammates to put up with (he's not exactly a people person, if it wasn't already clear); second, being able to defend yourself is pretty handy when you get involved in crazy stuff on a regular basis.
Not that he's a troublemaker of any sort, on the contrary, he would gladly live a simple and peaceful life, it's just that the universe has apparently decided that must not be the case: like the time that his search for a rare book put him at odds with a deranged group of cultists, or when his aunt turned out to be the leader of a coven and tried to sacrifice him in occasion of the passage of a comet (luckily, it was a once in a lifetime event, so after he foiled her plans they were able to put all that behind them, although the following family gathering has been rather awkward), and how to forget the nutcase who claimed to be possessed by a certain Federico Fabio Ghislieri and challenged the young man to a fatal duel so that the spirit could reclaim his place among the living.

All things considered, it shouldn't surprise how happily Leonardo accepted that scholarship in the United States, hoping the change of scene would make his life a little easier.
Now, when he has time, he takes every opportunity to enjoy the beatiful american landscapes; this (together with the prospect of earning a few bucks) is the reason he has got himself a job as a camp counselor at Camp Rocky Falls. Maybe those high-schoolers won't even pester him too much, and if they do, he'll delegate as much work as he can.

3 unique interests:
  • Mathematics, philosophy and more in general the exercise of reason
  • Fencing, as a combination of athleticism, combat and geometry
  • Exploration of natural and bucolic landscapes, looking for serenity
3 special skills:
  • Knack for logical and mathematical reasoning, duly nurtured over time
  • Good reflexes and fighting abilities, especially with sticks and swords, acquired through training and unsolicited experiences
  • An innate intuition for the occult and works of witchcraft, which more than once has been quite the lifesaver

Last edited by Cap Ut; Apr 20th, 2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 03:28 PM
Quasi-Retired
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6618
Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep
Ah heck, I'll pitch in for lighthearted, laid-back game then.

Some familiarity with FATE already, though it's a FATE Core game I'm currently part of. Looks like a lot of it translates to Accelerated though.

App 1
right-aligned image

Name/Nickname: Harrison Isaac Mondewell, Jr.
"Harrison", never "Hank". "Isaac" to the campers, in his fruitless attempt to remain incognito, though he usually forgets to respond to this.

Pronouns: He/Him

Brief bio/personality: Second-eldest to Harrison Isaac Mondewell, Sr. (CFO of Pride Reinsurance Group) and Aurora Mondewell (third-term US senator, Illinois (D)), Harrison Jr. is the fourth generation of Mondewell to attend the prestigious Bridge Arbor University, where his studies in entrepreneurship, web app development, and database design have also seen him fronting the successful launch of BARC, the social media platform exclusively for pets.

Not that he likes animals. Despises the things, really; but he has to admit that the previously-untapped profit potential from selling their personal information for targeted advertising has really supplemented his trust fund quite nicely. Then again, it's because of an animal that Harrison finds himself in Camp Rocky Falls.

Technically, the charge was "Unlawful Possession of a Bovine", on top of "Criminal Trespass" and "Grand Theft Tractor". The IPO had been a triumph with a multi-billion dollar valuation, and the resulting afterparty was so large that it could not be contained within state lines. Even Chicago's best lawyers couldn't swing the State of Indiana into complete acquittal; and so, Harrison languishes under his court-mandated community service at Camp Rocky Falls, where his name, money, and brilliance have no meaning, and where he can't even get cell service.

3 unique interests:
Recreational boating
Venture capitalism
Mountain climbing

3 special skills:
Business networking
Coding/hacking
Ballroom dancing

Top Approaches:
Flashy, Clever, Forceful

App 2
right-aligned image

Name/Nickname: Elizabeth "Lizzy" Potts

Pronouns: She/Her

Brief bio/personality: Lizzy is a calm, carefree spirit, and some might say she has an old soul. She's neither quick to excitement nor annoyance, a quirk that can be frustrating to those seeking reaction from her, but those same people find her emotional control to be stabilizing and comforting in times of stress.

To that end, Lizzy enjoys a daily regimen of ritual, meditation, journaling, and yoga, when time allows; so integral to her nature are these activities of self-reflection and connectedness that she will make sacrifices (such as waking well before dawn) to accommodate them, and she becomes frazzled and makes poor decisions when forced to do without.

Her devil-may-care attitude leads her toward more creative pursuits. Occasionally she may dip into traditional art mediums, such as paint or pencil, but she's much more commonly found doing craft work in a wide array. Paper folding, candle making, pottery, collage, and hemp braiding are just a sampling of her outlets (and yes, Lizzy absolutely has her own Etsy store). She's also fond of gardening; but no matter the activity, more often than not, she can be found outside, where she feels more in-tune with the natural world. On top of that, she also enjoys and regularly participates in live performance; she's proven herself to be equally captivating as the Game Master for her tabletop group as she has in some heavy roles for her school theater's more dramatic productions.

3 unique interests:
Buddhism, Paganism, and New Age spirituality
Handmade crafts
Political activism

3 special skills:
Empathy and guidance
Horticulture
Dramatic acting

Top Approaches: Careful, Flashy, Sneaky

Last edited by Skep; Apr 23rd, 2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 07:27 PM
I'm your huckleberry

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15116
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
Loving the persistence with Fate here, Wonderbeast! I will admit that I am not sold on Accelerated, but this is quite the intriguing game you put forth.

What kind of timeframe are you thinking about for game start? I am trying to wrangle all of my current on-site stuff into some semblance of a heartbeat again, but dang it... this is tempting if I can manage to do that.

Plus there's Skep...
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 09:06 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 487
Somersault Somersault Somersault Somersault Somersault
I haven't been on these boards in forever, but some time has opened up, and this looks neat!

Application
right-aligned image

Name/Nickname: Genevieve "Genie" Stiles

Pronouns: She/her

Brief bio/personality: Hailing from the beautiful city of South Bend, Genie was born the youngest of three children to two Sociology professors at Notre Dame. Not just the only daughter, Genie was perhaps the only member of the Stiles family to not be particularly academically inclined - sure, they would talk about mob mentality and how that influenced decision-making, but she was far more invested in what exactly happened on the last episode of the Bachelor, or even better, Riverdale.

If not exactly gifted in that department, Genie's charms gained her a great number of friends, and as she grew older, boyfriends, although her relative inattentiveness meant that these relationships seldom lasted longer than a month. Still, she was largely well-liked, and to the cautious joy of her studious parents, she became Prom Queen her senior year.

In college, Genie remained much the same, joining the Zeta Zeta sorority and generally living life - except for the time she accidentally instigated the biggest prank war in campus history when two frat brothers fought for her affections. As such, Genie's gained the nickname of "Helen of Troy" on campus - which Genie finds weird for a variety of reasons, such as her not being of anyone, and also never dating a Troy, and also because her aunt is named Helen, not her.

In any case, to escape all that stress for a summer, Genie's signed up for a camp counselor position at Camp Rocky Falls, where she feels her cheer and her spirit will be more appreciated.
3 unique interests:
Astrology - Genie just recently found out she was a rising Taurus, and she wants to spread the good news about how the stars can tell you the future. Like, it's science! Didn't Copernicus come up with this?

Gossip Magazines - What is more intriguing than the newest insights the latest issue of People can give you?

Giving Relationship Advice - Sure, has Genie ever had a relationship for more than four months? No, but she likes seeing people be in love, and she also likes talking, so she'll gradly give people advice.

3 special skills:
Flirting - Maybe it's magic, or maybe she's just pretty and super able to feel herself, but Genie's always been good at getting guys' attention.

Physics - Genie literally has no idea why, but mass and force and velocity and all of those moving part things have always come really easily to her. Not that she's really used it for anything other than her Physics classes saving her GPA, but still!

Dancing - Zeta Zeta was not voted Most Fly at the Annual Greek Life Dance Championships for nothing, okay? Of course, Genie's dancing is a little...visceral, but she's good at bopping to tunes.

Best Approaches:
Flashy, Quick, Sneaky

Last edited by Somersault; Apr 19th, 2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 11:59 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hey hey! Some awesome characters coming together here!

Timeframe for starting... uh... er... eventually? I didn't know I had to have a start date in mind. My first game idea got ::rubberstamp:: REJECTED, so I gotta wait to make sure this one doesn't meet the same fate (haha, get it? FATE?).

I'm not a FATE expert, btw. I've never played it, in fact, but it looked simple and flexible and that's what I was going for. Aspects seemed like they could apply to "skill challenges" as well as combat stuffs and I dig that.