DnD5e In Search of the Dragonlance - the Blue Crystal Staff Chronicles - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 25th, 2021, 10:56 AM
Lord of Graves

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 585
Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis
In Search of the Dragonlance - the Blue Crystal Staff Chronicles

Game NameIn Search of the Dragonlance - the Blue Crystal Staff Chronicles
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeResurrection of a timeless classic - save the world of Krynn from the Dark Queen and her Dragonarmies
FlavourHeroic and Epic High Fantasy Role-Play
Plot Summary

“Look to the sky. Where the stars shine brightly. There, where you would see the constellation of Takhisis, the Queen of Darkness and the Platinum Dragon, Paladine. Always they have stood there in the sky, facing each other in an eternal battle. But now? Two dark holes in the sky where they once were. This, this is your sign that the Gods are real, and that they exist. She has returned to Krynn and with her she has brought the dark dragons. And Paladine? He has come back too to fight her.”

Darkness has fallen over poor suffering Krynn. Thus it has been since the great Cataclysm, when the old world fell. Lost were the great cities, the accumulated wisdom and knowledge of many generations. Lost as well was all knowledge of the True Gods, and mortalkind sank into idolatry. Priests lost their power and mortalkind lost hope for its salvation.

But hope always springs from the most modest of causes, and so it was that the Innfellows began the salvation of Krynn.

Originally there were six. Five years ago they set out from the Inn of the Last Home, seeking knowledge of the True Gods. In five years they found nothing, and so all returned to the sleepy town of Solace, the tree-city built in a vallenwood grove.

And so begins your story. So begins the most epic of tales, the tale of a group of would-be heroes, returning home to find their home town under occupation by an evil force in search of a mysterious artefact known only as the Blue Crystal Staff. A group of would-be heroes in an impossibly dangerous situation and facing almost overwhelming odds. For in their hands will fall the salvation of the world itself from the incursion of the awakened dragons and their Dark Queen.

~

Five years ago, six adventurers set out from the Inn of the Last Home in Solace to seek the forgotten knowledge of the True Gods. They had great adventures, but they did not find what they sought. In time, they returned.

On their return to the town of Solace, they found the Dragonarmy's hordes swarming throughout the lands. Their feet have been set on the path towards the True Gods....it is left to the Innfellows to determine the fate of our lands.

May they not fail us.

About the GameThere has never been a series of novels that has defined me as much as the Dragonlance novels. The Dragonlance Chronicles and the Dragonlance Trilogy in particular have served as a great inspiration to me throughout my life, and I have likely read them enough times now that I could probably quote entire passages verbatim.

That said, this is not their game, this is your game and I'd like to offer six of you the chance to experience the same epic quest that was offered in the Dragonlance Saga back in the days of AD&D. This will not be a like for like re-telling so don't worry about that, this will be your story and you will get the opportunity to shape it however you like.

The application process will be fairly standard, I am looking for characters in the following template:-

Name:
Race: Acceptable races: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Kender (True and Half only), Half-Elf, Tiefling
Class: Any PHB or XGtE sources allowed with the exception of Cleric, Paladin and Divine Soul Sorcerors
Personality Traits:
Bond:
Ideal:
Flaw:
Background:

Give me a bit more detail on the below three sections:

Appearance:
Personality:
Backstory:

Finally, include a Role Playing Sample from the perspective of the character.

All characters will begin at level 3, and character advancement will be milestone based.

Please note I do not require you to have knowledge of the Dragonlance setting to apply, I'm more than happy to introduce the world and lore of the world in-game.

Closing Date: Friday 21st May

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to seeing what all you creative people come up with!

Last edited by Arkanis; May 1st, 2021 at 04:57 AM.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 11:16 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 175
FCastor FCastor
Oh my my my!

Intrigued and interested does not quite cover it. The Chronicles and Legends trilogies were my introduction to heroic and epic fantasy. I actually read them before even Tolkien's works.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 11:33 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4413
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Yessss, so down for this.

Application for 'In Search of the Dragonlance - the Blue Crystal Staff Chronicles'
left-aligned image
right-aligned image

Name: Tanner Thorne

Race: Human (Variant)

Class: Ranger (Gloom Stalker)

Personality Traits: I watch over my friends as if they were a litter of newborn pups. I once ran twenty-five miles without stopping to warn my clan of an approaching goblin horde. I'd do it again if I had to.

Bond: I will bring terrible wrath down on the evildoers who destroyed my homeland.

Ideal: Change. Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it. (Chaotic)

Flaw: Violence is my answer to almost any challenge.

Background: Outlander - Bounty Hunter

Appearance: Largely hidden behind a dark grey leather hood, Tanner largely keeps to the shadows – the better to stalk his prey. Peel back the hood, and you will reveal shoulder-length dark blonde hair which could use a good combing. His face sports several days’ growth of stubble, and there are several vertical scars cut deep into the flesh on the left side of his face; in fact, it is a miracle the eye itself is not gone. His mouth is a hard, thin line, and should you ever be close enough to see his teeth, you would see they have either been mostly beaten out of his mouth - or gone to rot. Thankfully, a man doesn’t need teeth in order to kill.

Personality: Like cold stone. Personal tragedy has hardened Thorne to the point that he finds “normal” social interaction nearly impossible. His focus is revenge, and while he is civil to those who fight against the forces of evil, he is of one mind: if you aren’t with him, then you’re against him. And if you’re against him… then you’d better run.

Backstory: A decade ago, Tanner Thorne was a happily married man in a small village near a small lake – a village so small, it wasn’t even noteworthy enough to appear on a map. That was the way Tanner liked it. He served as a handyman to his neighbors, most of whom were elderly or infirmed. Tanner filled his days cutting down trees, picking fruit, building furniture and performing small repairs. His wife helped carry water up from the lake, and his children helped milk their one cow and gathered eggs from their two chickens. Life was good – nay, better than good. Life was idyllic. And then the goblins came, and everything changed.

Tanner had been out in the forest, cutting down a large tree. The trunk was thick and hearty, and he had plans to carve a canoe out of the thickest part. His brow was covered in sweat, his thin shirt sticking to his muscular frame, and the rhythmic chopping of the axe had kept him from hearing the shouts from afar. It was only when he had stopped to get a ladleful of water from a wooden bucket that he heard the shouting. In the cool air of the woods his nose could smell smoke, and his sharp eyes could see the crackling orange of flames from up ahead. The town was under attack! Tanner was an excellent hunter, and had brought down many a stag… but his bow was back home, and all he had was his woodcutter’s axe. He rushed toward the small village, trying to keep out of sight of whoever – or whatever – was attacking.

It did not take long for him to reach the boundary of the woods, where he took in the sight of chaos and murder. Goblins – at least six, and possibly as many as ten – were raiding the small village, taking everything not nailed down, burning everything that was, and killing everything that moved. Tanner watched in horror as his poor elderly neighbor, Elmer Graves, tried to fend off an goblin with nothing more than a hickory cane, before taking a shortsword through the guts. And his wife, dear sweet Lydia… lying there with a kitchen knife in her hand, her lifeblood soaking into her prized daisies. And the children…

A mighty blow struck him from behind, and he staggered, but did not fall. It would take more than one goblin to stop Tanner Thorne. In fact, it took five. Despite being wounded with half a dozen gashes, despite nearly losing his left eye, despite the blood pouring from his scalp and the pounding of his heart, Tanner had slashed four goblins dead with his old woodcutter’s axe, when an arrow pierced his back and plunged out his chest, a mere half-inch from his heart. He gasped, his mouth full of blood, his head growing heavy. He could not draw breath. He could hear sounds, and could feel more slashes against his unarmored arms and legs, but his body was pitching forward, his body was falling to the cold earth – only the earth was hot, so very hot, the flames from his burning home broiling his flesh, his hair… the dead goblins were burning and he could smell them, they smelled of rotten pork, and he was vomiting blood, he was fading away.

He awoke in the dark to cold smoke and wet ashes, charred bones, and blood. He had been left for dead; nay, he had died. Everything that was Tanner Thorne was dead and burned, washed away in the rain. What was left was something else entirely, a husk of a man, alive and yet not living, drawing breath but not feeling. There may have been tears… but in the pouring rain, who could say?

Last edited by Noquarter19; Apr 28th, 2021 at 05:10 AM.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 11:40 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
dr kekyll
The Prestige
right-aligned image
Name: Moran Esmer
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Wizard (School of Illusion)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Charlatan
Scam: I cheat at games of chance.
Personality Traits: I'm a born gambler who can't resist taking a risk for a potential payoff.
I have a joke for every occasion, especially occasions where humor is inappropriate.
Ideal: Independence. I am a free spirit—no one tells me what to do.
Bond: I swindled and ruined a person who didn't deserve it. I seek to atone for my misdeeds but might never be able to forgive myself.
Flaw: I can't resist a pretty face.

Appearance: Moran is a handsome lad with a charming smile and an almost hypnotic voice. Actually in his late 20s, he looks much younger. His layered locks are raven black. He stands relatively tall at 6'1" and walks with the confident swagger of a man who rarely hears the word 'no.'

Personality: Moran isn't a bad guy; he just understands that you're either the con or the mark, and he never plans to be the mark. When he thinks no one is looking, though, he's uncharacteristically generous to poor children.

Backstory: Moran's early childhood was relatively happy. His family wasn't wealthy, but he grew up in a loving household and they wanted for nothing. Unfortunately, illness took Moran's mother when he was seven, and Moran's father wasn't the most responsible man. Quite simply, he was a fool. Without his wife around to keep him in line, Moran's father managed to fall prey to every grifter north of the river. As the saying goes, a fool and his gold are soon parted, and Moran and his father quickly found themselves on the street. Moran's father shamelessly accepted his new role as a beggar, but Moran refused. At ten years old, he set out on his own.

Thanks to his father, he knew how to spot a mark, and he quickly established a successful operation fleecing those residents of Haven with more coin than sense. However, Moran soon found himself with an aggressive invitation from a man calling himself Clover. Clover fancied himself the boss of all the petty crime in their little piece of Haven, and apparently, he had been watching Moran closely and keeping the guards off his back. He thought the kid had potential and strongly advised against going it alone on the streets.

Despite his appearance (he wore clothing that, from afar, might give the impression of nobility but, on closer scrutiny, revealed his true station), Clover was no fool, and he quickly recognized Moran's potential talent for the arcane arts and allowed the youth to study the few magical tomes he had acquired over the years. His skill with illusion magic developed quickly making him useful in Clover's gambling operation where he could easily manipulate outcomes. For years, the situation was quite beneficial for the both of them. Eventually, though, Moran began to feel like he could do better on his own. After all, it wasn't as though Clover had any talent for wizardry.

At nineteen, Moran decided he'd learned all he could from Clover. He packed up his belongings and what little coin he'd managed to save, and he left the city under cover of night eventually finding his way to Solace. Of course, he knew Clover would never let such a valuable asset just walk away, so Moran tried to maintain a low profile in his new home. Rather than set up a large operation, he contented himself with using mundane legerdemain to cheat at card games with travelers at the Inn of the Last Home. He convinced the locals that he had a tell. This allowed them to feel clever and fold before Moran took too much of their hard earned money but still allowed him to win big off of transients. Meanwhile his habit of returning a good portion of the locals' money to them in the form of drinks helped to keep him popular.

He was enjoying his life just fine until about five years ago when he got taken in by a pretty face and nearly dragged back to Haven. He barely escaped capture and it was clear Clover knew where he was, so, when he overheard a group at the inn talking about setting out in search of the Gods of Light or some such nonsense, he was struck with a sudden sense of adventure.

RP Sample: The House Always Wins

Last edited by dr kekyll; Yesterday at 04:12 PM.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 11:51 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12646
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
This is incredible, Arkanis! Dragonlance was (after the Lord of the Rings) the first world to capture my imagination - and it held it fast for over a decade. You don’t know how long I‘ve been waiting for this! The only question is... do I dare apply as a kender? Do I!?

Or perhaps a... tinker gnome? OhmyIamsoexcitedbythisgameIcan‘teventellyouhowmuch !!!

Seriously now. @Arkanis: Would you accept the „Artificer“ as described in Tasha‘s? Seems to fit a tinker gnome perfectly, though of course the effect should be „mechanical“ not magical. If not, do you have any suggestions? Thank you.

Last edited by Elanir; Apr 25th, 2021 at 12:07 PM.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 11:54 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1174
TPasq98 TPasq98 TPasq98 TPasq98 TPasq98 TPasq98 TPasq98 TPasq98 TPasq98
Applause is in order for such an epic endeavor…much respect!

4/28/21 - My apologies but this is still a WIP. I will probably be adding to and refining the Personality/Bacjground sections over the next couple of days, as well as adding the RP portion. I’ll repost a link once completed!

Application[/fieldset
right-aligned image

Name: Gregor uth Corrik
Race: Human
Class: Fighter
Alignment: Neutral Good

Background: Knights of Solmania...

Description:
Not exceptionally tall for a human, Gregor stands at an even 6 foot and boasts a healthy, muscular build. Years of martial training under a smaller yet legitimate order of Knights of the Sword has hardened Gregor into a solid and effective swordsman. His style of fighting is written all over his body. The piercing black eyes and sharp, raptor like facial features follow his enemies as he closes in carefully and tactfully for the kill.

His muscular body and quick reflexes mixed with years of learned skill allow him to wield the awkward hand and a half sword as a normal solder might wield a long sword. With his fair complexion and shoulder-length wavy black hair, Gregor would have the ability to blend into any crowd, if it wasn't for his bushy yet finely groomed mustaches.

Personality:
Having been adopted into the knighthood and not borne into it, Gregor never truly bought into the strict code of chivalry by which they lived. Jaded by all of the darkness and suffering surrounding him, Gregor struggled to truly adopt the Oath and Measure. He did, however, take extremely well to all things military and he excelled in his training. Twenty years later, Gregor is an accomplished swordsman and military officer. In fact, his passive attitude towards the Oath and Measure was the chief reason besides his resourcefulness, that he was chosen to venture out from their stronghold as their emissary at-large. After all, the task of leaving the stronghold was no small one and the world had become a very dangerous place... this type of post would require someone with a bit more flexibility than the rigid Oath and Measure would allow.

After years on the road, struggling to survive yet driven to find answers, Gregor is not quite the same man that left his stronghold all those years ago. Less the knight and now more the mercenary, Gregor has adapted to his environment well and now lives a much different lifestyle then he did while living with his fellow knights.

These days he is more likely to be found drinking at the tavern, singing jovial drinking songs with the locals or trading exploits with his fellow sell-swords. Still calm, cool, and calculated, Gregor is slow to anger yet now possesses the brash confidence and sharp ego of a mercenary. This brazen need to test himself makes him very quick to issue (or accept) a challenge... especially if there is personal honor at stake. Still, despite his flaws, he is still a good man at heart and will almost certainly come to the aid of weaker peoples in need, though he's just more likely to make a show of it now!

Background:
The orphan Gregor was taken in by group of valiant knights who were left over from a long-forgotten past, but these were dark times in Solmania and the Knights were in disgrace. Most of the prominent families had closed their gates long ago and Gregor’s family was no different. Indeed, the men that had once been part of a grand order of knightly protectors who lived and fought under a code dedicated to justice and honor, had now been reduced to nothing more than petty warlords, trying to maintain some sort of order over their lands while hiding behind their walls.

During these dark times, the Knights of Gregor’s order did not have the resources to venture far from the lands they controlled, but the need for trade and other worldly affairs forced them to send out emissaries from time to time. These emissaries would usually venture out to maintain trade deals with the neighboring strongholds or even work towards fostering new relations. Occasionally, representatives are set out more abroad to gather information and knowledge from the further reaches of Krynn. For these more dangerous tasks, the knights needed somebody who could think on his toes and would not be bogged down by honor and long dead traditions.

After years on the road, Gregor finds himself lost and penniless in near the town of Solace. With no word from his homeland in over a year, Gregor fears the worst, but can do nothing about it so far from home.

What had become of the lands to the south? Were there still great kingdoms to the east rallying against the forces of evil? These were all the questions that Gregor set out to answer for the knights… But, he suspected, deep down there was more he needed to find, not for the knights, but for himself…

WIP...

Last edited by TPasq98; Apr 29th, 2021 at 12:56 AM.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 12:03 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
FCastor FCastor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanir View Post
This is incredible, Arkanis! Dragonlance was (after the Lord of the Rings) the first world to capture my imagination - and it held it fast for over a decade. You don’t know how long I‘ve been waiting for this! The only question is... do I dare apply as a kender? Do I!?
Somehow I am not all that surprised...

Last edited by FCastor; Apr 25th, 2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 12:12 PM
Lord of Graves

Tools
User Statistics
Wow, a very encouraging uptake so far, I wasn’t certain how many would go for this when I posted it, thank you all

Yes, I’ll allow Tasha’s Artificer in this case, it does seem to fit nicely.

Last edited by Arkanis; Apr 25th, 2021 at 12:13 PM.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 12:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12646
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Thank you. One tinker gnome mad scientist coming right up!
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 12:38 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
FCastor FCastor
If I may ask, both out of curiosity and to have a bit more information that may help me with my application, how do tieflings, sorcerers and warlocks work in the context of Dragonlance and the relevant era in particular? And in the case of sorcerers and warlocks, in regards to the Orders of High Sorcery as well?

Old Apr 25th, 2021, 12:59 PM
Lord of Graves

Tools
User Statistics
The source material was very rigid in terms of the fact that the Order of High Sorcery was restricted to Wizards only, because neither Sorcerors nor Warlocks existed in those times. To adapt this to 5e I really had two choices, either ban Sorcerors or Warlocks outright or modify the lore somewhat to allow those classes. Given that I didn't want to put too many class restrictions on you I went with the second option.

Sorcerors are fairly straightforward in that I'm allowing both Wizards and Sorcerors to be part of the Order of High Sorcery (it says Sorcery after all, not Wizards ). So as far as a player goes, it is up to you whether you want a Sorceror character to be part of the Order or whether you want them to be renegades.

Warlocks are a bit more complicated. The source of their power is more otherworldly in nature so I didn't feel it was a good fit to allow Warlock types in the Order. Therefore anyone who takes up a Warlock character has a magic source not recognised by the Order and is therefore a renegade.

I would say that Warlocks and Tieflings are treated the same in the context of Dragonlance and that particular era - both are fairly rare and treated with suspicion (and outright hostility in some places) by the general populace.

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 01:10 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
dr kekyll
no paladins makes me sad, but i get it...

Last edited by dr kekyll; Apr 25th, 2021 at 01:11 PM.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 03:05 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
dr kekyll
So, I know most of the subclasses in TCoE don't work in the setting, but what about the setting agnostic feats? Also, bladesinger.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 03:08 PM
Lord of Graves

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr kekyll View Post
So, I know most of the subclasses in TCoE don't work in the setting, but what about the setting agnostic feats? Also, bladesinger.
Fraid not, sorry. Artificer is as far as I’ll allow sources from it.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 03:12 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
dr kekyll
No problem! Just wondering!