DnD5e In Search of the Dragonlance - the Blue Crystal Staff Chronicles - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 25th, 2021, 03:25 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2414
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
This is the setting that introduced me to D&D, first the novels, then the game itself.

How are Bards treated vis-a-vis the Towers of High Sorcery? They were never expressly mentioned in-canon.

Also, would you allow an Eloquence College Bard?
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 03:50 PM
Lord of Graves

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 585
Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis
I see bards as separate entities entirely from the Towers of High Sorcery. My take on it would be that the Towers wouldn’t be interested in pursuing travelling minstrels for their magical powers.

Eloquence College Bard isn’t an accepted source, sorry.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 05:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12574
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Concerning warlocks there is kind of a precedent, I think.

My Dragonlance lore is extremely rusty, but I believe the (secondary) character Bram DiThon (Defenders of Magic trilogy) had a strong connection with the fey realm and its inhabitants (Tuatha Dundarael?) and could be considered a warlock initially.

The Undying patron should also be no problem at all. One merely has to establish a connection with a certain undying wizard of legend (Fistadantilus), perhaps after finding his bloodstone or another artifact.

A Hexblade warlock could also work. There are certainly weapons/artifacts/spirits predating the Cataclysm that could serve as a warlock‘s patron. Perhaps the spirit of the last High Clerist himself?

The Fiend and the Great Old One are certainly trickier. I could see an ancient (metallic) dragon in disguise becoming a „Fiend“ patron (trying to work around the Oath to Takhisis), though the template and the abilities would need some modification (e.g.the „Hurl through Hell“ ability is completely inappropriate). Perhaps Astinus of Palanthas could serve as the Great Old One? As I said, it‘s tricky, but not impossible...
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 05:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanis View Post
I see bards as separate entities entirely from the Towers of High Sorcery. My take on it would be that the Towers wouldn’t be interested in pursuing travelling minstrels for their magical powers.
Gilthanas also „dabbled in magic“ and wasn’t hunted down by the Orders of High Sorcery. He was of course the Speaker‘s son, but still... I think it was officially established that only middle/high level magic users concerned the Orders.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 06:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4697
Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil
Wow, what a great idea! Now, if I can manage not to fall too hard into any of the tropes...

EDIT: application complete

Quarion GalanodelName: Quarion Galanodel
Race: Elf (High)
Class: Wizard (School of Divination)
Personality Traits: There's nothing I like more than a good mystery; I'm willing to listen to every side of an argument before I make my own judgement
Bond: I have an ancient text that holds terrible secrets that must not fall into the wrong hands. (perhaps this ties into the plot? A tome from a bygone age which gives specific instructions for deicide?)
Ideal: No Limits. Nothing should fetter the infinite possibility inherent in all existence. (Chaotic)
Flaw: Unlocking an ancient mystery is worth the price of a civilization.
Background: Sage (Astronomer)

Give me a bit more detail on the below three sections:

Appearance: Older than most elven adventurers, Quarion usually looks like he's about to fall asleep leaning on his old gnarled staff, since he stays up late into the night observing the stars. With cropped blonde hair tending to ancient silver and eyes the gray of the moon, Quarion usually perks up at the mention of any major academic topic. He dresses in long robes with far too many patches and pockets, most of them fraying or sticking out.
Personality: Contrary to his appearance, Quarion is neither scatterbrained nor mad, as a few moments conversation will prove. His scraggly appearance is due to neglect - Quarion simply doesn't care what he looks like. Beyond his intellectual pursuits and interests, he takes a great interest in matters of culture and perspective; he doesn't believe mortals capable of the extremes of pure evil or good, so he always looks for common ground even in the unlikliest of places. When words fail and he is called to fight, he will protect innocents and his friends fiercely.
Backstory: Even as a young elf, Quarion loved learning. He listened to the wind through the trees, ran with the yearling deer, and watched water wend down vale and hill. Yet, his gaze was drawn ever upward, to study the stars. When he became an adult, Quarion left his ancestral home among the trees to climb into the mountains, joining other sages at a high observatory. There he learned much of astronomy and divination, eventually (through study, brilliance, and the longevity of his kind) becoming the Keeper of the observatory.
And then the gods returned, ripping stars from the very sky. In the pandemonium which followed at the observatory, Quarion finally opened the secret vault at its heart, a secret entrusted to him by the previous Keeper. After reading the title of the black-bound tome inside, he dared not open it; even so, he also knew this knowledge would be needed in the world, not locked away, at the right time and place.
So he left, elevating a new Keeper, and wandered. Eventually he found five others who sought knowledge of the True Gods, and pledged himself to a common cause. Still not daring to open the black book, he wandered far and wide, searching great libraries and private, noble bookshelves for less dire knowledge of the gods. Though he learned even more of signs and portents, his report will be sparse of useful information when he soon returns to the Inn of the Last Home...

Role Playing Sample

With a snap, Quarion shuts his worn spellbook, replacing it deep within his second most secret pocket. The black book in the other seems to thump with his own heartbeat as he recalls its location, though he's done enough magical examinations to know that to be only his own psychology.

"Thank you, Thantus, for the most enlightening exchange. Why, it had never occurred to me that converting to a diphthong could obviate the need for gestures in the Light cantrip! "

The other wizard, in highly fashionable garb, waves the compliment down like it was nothing, though he is clearly preening. "Nonsense, nonsense! Now, where were we? You came here on some sort of business, did you not? "

The aging elf sits carefully on a stiff, uncomfortable, highly decorated seat. Thantus winces at the horrible clash between the ancient robe - covered in the faint remnants of who knows how many meals - with the carefully crafted artistry in the room. Quarion, used to this sort of judgment, ignores it and gets to the point. "Ah, yes. You see, I have traveled far and endured much hardship to reach this city, all to study at the institute. Yet, I find myself barred from the inner shelves, where of course all the relevant information to my research may be found! My entreaties have fallen on deaf, stubborn ears; so of course I immediately thought to turn to a fellow connoisseur of knowledge, a man with far-reaching influence in this city."

Thantus smiles, enjoying the flattery, but his grin sours suddenly. "Perhaps indeed you thought of me immediately, but I've heard of your plight already. It seems you've gone to every noble and notable in town begging, and have come to me last. Hoping for scraps, perhaps?"

Quarion winces, shoulders dropping as if his chest were a balloon deflating. "You know about that? Ah, but I should have suspected you would. I will not waste your time with vain explanations or desparate flattery - I come to you last, as you say. None would hear of my request. I don't understand it, what is in that sanctum which is so precious as to deny my entry! It is as if I were an arsonist, not a scholar! "

The black book next to his heart seems to mock him, as if he has any room to rant about the denial of knowledge precious or dangerous. Knowing it is only his own mind playing tricks does nothing to assuage Quarion's turmoil.

"You say you have need of those books, yet you have not told a single soul what you seek! I may yet help you, but you must in turn divulge this secret. I, too, seek knowledge; tell me this, and not only will I personally hand you a key and passphrase, but I myself will help you search those hoary shelves. "

Even with victory suddenly, unexpectedly at hand, Quarion hesitates. The gods are a contentious, even violent subject. And yet, wasn't the whole point of this quest to seek this knowledge for the good of all? With sudden determination, Quarion answers. "The True Gods. I saw the night their stars quit the sky; I would know more of them, much more, if they truly have or intend to return."

For a long moment, Quarion cannot tell if Thentus will burst into laughter, or else cast some fell evocation. In the end, he just nods. "Okay. I don't think you'll find what you seek here, but you have kept your word, and so will I."

Last edited by Mythrandil; Apr 25th, 2021 at 09:17 PM.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 06:29 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Application finished!

Trip the tinker gnome
right-aligned image

Name: Triple-checking-the-integrity-of-the-conduits-responsible-for-the-transference-of-liquid-fuel-to-the-motor-mobilizing-the-iron/carbon-alloy-automaton-is-the-first-step-in-ensuring…Trip of the the Guild‘s proper name is: Guild for devising, constructing, testing, regulating, improving, repairing, and promoting self-operating mechanical contraptions designed to automatically follow a predetermined sequence of operations, or respond to predetermined instructionsGuild of Automata
Race: Rock GnomeTinker Gnome
Class: Artificer (Battle Smith)
Background: Or Sage, which is more or less the same. The only real difference ist that the Sage has proficiency in the "Arcana" skill, which is something I was trying to avoid for this character, going for Nature instead. It's your call Arkanis, I'll go with whatever option you deem more appropriate.Cloistered Scholar

Personality Traits:
1. Safety is paramount. I never act unless I check everything at least thrice and am sure that the most probable outcome is positive. Mostly.
2. I insist that things are done by the book. There is a right procedure to be followed for everything.
Bond: My most valuable possession is the journal of my great-great-great-great-great-grandfather, this was only his human name of course!Pip, respected founder of the Guild of Automata. It is full of brilliant ideas about inventions so complicated and wonderful no one has managed to replicate, much less improve on them, since. My honored ancestor claimed that his inspiration came directly from the ReorxGreat Inventor himself and I am determined to discover the truth of the matter.
Ideal: Enlightenment - True understanding is the one based on inspiration, study and practical experience. It is the only path that will take the world of Krynn out of the darkness that surrounds it. I know it is my calling to walk that path first so that others may follow.
Flaw: Science is the only reliable way to understand the world around (and inside) oneself. If there isn’t a scientific answer for something, then it doesn’t really exist.

Appearance: Gnomes are Reorx‘s chosen people -despite the dwarves‘ completely unfounded claims to the opposite!- and thus possess ideal physical proportions. Their heads are rather large, to contain their vast intellect, their eyes, ears and noses are prominent, to allow them to better perceive their surroundings and their diminutive stature makes it possible for almost their entire race to dwell in just one extinct volcano, Mount Nevermind, and still not have to face the spatial limitations other races -chiefly among them humans- would. Trip shares all the above characteristics of his people, along with an „orderliness“ that is rather unusual for the inhabitants of Mt. Nevermind. Just shy of 150 years of age, he is in his prime as his fashionable lack of hair at the top of his head proudly signifies. He maintains his still less salt than pepper beard moderately long in order to give himself a dignified look and at the same time keep it from being a hindrance to his tinkering. His clothes are of good material, practical and clean, a trait sadly often under-represented among the industrious gnomes. Various inventions, some of them his own like the automatically-inflating/deflating-multispatial-backpack or the instant-creation-multi-liquid-keg, complete the image of the serious and successful „scientist, inventor and businessman“ Trip strives to uphold.

Personality: If asked to describe himself with a single word, -which would be rather an insult for any well-educated gnome- Trip would choose the word methodical, and he would be right to do so. Indeed, his whole life revolves around a schedule of his own making that allows for maximum practicality in his personal and highest efficiency in his business life. Some -kender mostly- might be quick to call him compulsive, obsessive and idiosyncratic (not that they could ever come up with such complicated words), but Trip is simply thorough. If one wants to have the best of results, one necessarily has to follow the most efficacious method - and that is his method of doing things. That doesn’t mean that there is no need for innovation and improvement. Quite the contrary. As soon as a new procedure proves itself to be promising, purposeful, precise, practical and proper -Trip‘s five P‘s to perfection-, the gnomish scientist is more than happy to modify his schedule to include it. One might not be surprised to hear, however, that with such high standards, such a thing happens only rarely - if ever.

Last edited by Elanir; Yesterday at 07:19 PM.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 06:45 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4414
Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos
How close to the lore and the established adventures do you plan on staying? Are you looking at condensing it a bit?

What do you expect the final level would be? 8th? 9th?

I'm highly interested. But I need to think about a character that is Dragonlance specific but not similar to one of the original companions.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 10:10 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13064
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman

Characters: Del CorganIris KetteringCaleb ShawDeirdre VenteuseJohn Alias

Last edited by hafrogman; May 3rd, 2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 02:29 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 667
Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Avonathalonus "Avon" Ulfgang
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Bard (College of Lore)[planning to multiclass into Cleric of Arcana or Knowledge, whichever we find first]
Background: Outlander [Tribal Skáld Apprentice]
  • Personality Traits: The people I travel with are my family and I would do whatever it takes to protect them. There's nothing better than traveling with those you trust.
    I feel that it is my duty to go out and protect nature.
  • Bond: My tribe is most important to me. I'd do anything to protect them.
  • Ideal: Honor. I do what seems honorable in the given situation, not just what will please the Darkness.
  • Flaw: I don't understand many cities' conventions, and feel mine are inherently better.
Appearance: At six feet in height but only one hundred sixty five pounds, Avon is lithe to say the least. His complexion is fair though it tans slightly in summer. Avon's hair is predominantly platinum blonde with streaks of black. His eyes are a hazel color. He prefers clothes of earthen colors trimmed with a bright one, such as cobolt blue, sea green, or a rosey pink.

Languages: Common, Abanasinian, Elvish (Silvanesti dialect), Khurish, Solomnic

Backstory:Born of the rare tryst between a Silvanesti courtier, Maravallon Lanthaloran, and a human nomad, Tearsong Ulfgang, he was quickly shunned by his father's race. So it came pass that Tearsong raised their son alone although Maravallon would send money twice a year to support him. As he grew the tribes skáld, Redwolf, took interest in Avon. At thirteen years of age Redwolf began teaching the young lad the poems and oral history of the tribe. At eighteen Redwolf decided the boy was ready and began teaching him the magic that could be found in dance and music. With his training complete the skáld suggested that Avon should travel and see the world. Besides, Redwolf wasn't planning on dying any time soon so the young skáld's services were not needed just yet. With ailing heart, Avon said bye to his mother and began his wanderings.

Personality: Avon is a confused soul. On the one hand, he has taken to the fancy clothes of the city dwellers; but on the other, he still considers himself a nomad. He is a bit shy but when it is of utmost importance, the bard speaks. He tends to get angry inside about how the city dwellers treat nature, always being wasteful with resources and not making sure what they did was sustainable. Avon will crack a joke but doesn't prank people. He thinks pranking diminishes the victim in the eyes of others. The bard loves to sing songs to uplift the spirits of those around him. Honor is extremely important to him as he doesn't want to shame his tribe by his deeds and words. Avon is willing to sacrifice himself for his family, his tribe, and his friends.

Roleplaying Sample:

Last edited by Shula; May 2nd, 2021 at 02:53 PM.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 02:36 AM
Lord of Graves

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargos View Post
How close to the lore and the established adventures do you plan on staying? Are you looking at condensing it a bit?

What do you expect the final level would be? 8th? 9th?
I think you have to condense it in order to get through the game. So yes, there will be various parts that will be condensed. Although broadly speaking the start and end points will be similar to the novels how you ge tthere and what you do will be shaped by yourselves.

As for final level that totally depends. Let’s see how this first part of the adventure goes at which I’d expect you to hit around 8th level and then we will take it from there.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 02:56 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 667
Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula
@DM

Will you be instituting:
  • Curse of the Magi
  • White Robe, Red Robe and Black Robe
  • Phases of the moon affecting casting

These were very important in DND3.5.
I don't believe they had a 4e Dragonlance officially but I could be wrong.
2e had a totally changed ruleset called Saga just for Dragonlance.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 03:21 AM
Lord of Graves

Tools
User Statistics
In 2e Dragonlance began as just another campaign setting before the SAGA rules system were implemented for the Age of Mortals after DoSF was released.

To answer your questions though:-

1) Curse of the Magi is essentially represented through spell slot usage. For the physical deterioration aspect then yes there will be something in play.

2) White Robe, Red Robe and Black Robe will be represented, however I wouldn’t expect the players to take time out while one character has to make a side trek to take the Test. Instead I’m leaving it to the players judgement as to whether or not they want their character to be an officially recognised member of the Order with the requisite robe or a renegade Mage.

3) Again yes, this will be represented in-game.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 03:25 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 152
FCastor FCastor
Since I am kinda new here, so I would prefer not to assume, I have a couple of questions or three.

Races: Are variant humans allowed?

Backgrounds: Are only the ones in the PHB allowed? I did notice that classes are restricted to PHB and XGtE, but does the same apply to backgrounds as well, i.e. are the ones in SCAG (at least the ones not... geographically specific) allowed?

Other: Are feats going to be used? And if yes, I am guessing PHB and XGtE ones?

I have taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by FCastor; Apr 26th, 2021 at 03:28 AM.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 03:55 AM
Lord of Graves

Tools
User Statistics
Not a problem at all, I'd prefer people ask away.

Races: Yes, Variant Humans are allowed

Backgrounds: I'd prefer to keep it to the sources listed so as to keep everything neat and tidy and so I don't have sources from all over the place coming across at me.

Feats: Yes and yes
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 01:04 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 116
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Love the setting. Was holding out for a Middle Earth Game but this looks great. Would leave to run a Wood Elf Ranger. Will think about it but feel an application brewing.

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.