DnD5e In Search of the Dragonlance - the Blue Crystal Staff Chronicles - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 26th, 2021, 09:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7480
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Work in progress

Tobin Thistleknot
right-aligned image

Name: Tobin Thistleknot
Race: Kender
Class: Rogue (Arcane Trickster)
Background: Criminal (In the eyes of others of course.)
Personality Traits:
1. I don't pay attention to the risks in a situation. Never tell me the odds.
2. The best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't do it.
Bond: I will become the greatest thief that ever lived.
Ideal: Freedom: Chains are meant to be broken, as are those who would forge them. (Chaotic)
Flaw: If there’s a plan, I’ll forget it. If I don’t forget it, I’ll ignore it.

Appearance: Tobin like most of his kind is short in stature standing only three feet two inches in height with a lithe agile build. He had dark hair typically worn in a topknot, and amber colored eyes. Commonly he wear leathers for protection in gray and other dark colors to help him blend into his surroundings.
Personality: Yes (In Spades) Tobin like all Kender personality wise often come across as larger than life. Tobin is no exception, his natural fearlessness and curiosity more often then not getting him into trouble, which he always seems to escape. HE is not overly loud but certainly does not hold back when he thinks he has something to add to the conversation which is almost always. Most would say he has a trivial nature never taking anything seriously, but that is simply not true. HE sees things differently than most humanoids, and like his kin. HE can be deadly focused at times, and others very flippant and care free.
Backstory: Tobin grew up in a small group of Kender living in the plains. They were simple folk who lived off the land traveling throughout the lands. Or course each time they came to a city they were often shooed away more quickly then they arrived the people of the city terrified by the thought of a large group of kender all at once, it was bad enough with one around.

Upon reaching the age of maturity, Tobin like most youths set out on his own to discover the great adventures that laid in wait for him. It was during said travels he came to befriend a small group of adventurers. Traveling together with them for some time before they separated and went about their own ways, the promise to return to Solace in five years time. Each of them having their own desires and tasks to fulfill.

Tobin set out with fond farewells to his friends, it left his saddened though and there is nothing more dangerous in the world than a depressed or upset Kender. Fortunately his spirits did not take too long to recover. Seeking out new adventures, to tell his friends when they met again. Tobin had always had a gift for thievery like most of his kind, not seeing it as stealing at all. No matter how far he traveled people seemed on edge around him and more often than not when he left he found a variety of new treasures in his pouch or pack.

It wasn’t until his final year as he began the journey back to Solace to meet his friends that he began to see the massive buildup of Draconians and other forces of Takhisis. He did his best to avoid them entirely rather than face them in combat. Still on occasion when he found smaller groups he did his best to annoy them at least, before disappearing and continuing on his way. He hoped that when he found his friends they could all adventure once more again, and that all would in fact return after all it had been years since he saw any of them.

Roleplaying Sample:

Last edited by JaredSyn; Apr 27th, 2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 11:53 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 80
Psynister
right-aligned image

Name: Tymir Sivain
Race: V. Human
Class: Sorcerer (Silver Dragon)
Traits: I am a charitable person to those who stand in need through no fault of their own. I show no mercy to those who seek to harm the people close to me.
Bond: My sister, Vystrie, is the only person, or thing, that I love more than my studies.
Ideal: There is endless possibility through the advancement of magic, and I strive to master it.
Flaw: There is no price I would not pay to unlock the ancient secrets of the arcane. None.
Background: Sage (studying for the Order)

Appearance:
Tymir is a human male in his late twenties, slightly above average in height, with long brown hair and a full beard. He never blinks, which some find odd or unsettling, and he is easily distracted by things moving through his peripherals. Unless he has a book with him, that is, then the rest of the world may as well not exist. He carries a staff of ash wood with the bark still intact at the lower end, the wood exposed in the middle, and runes carved in the upper that are carved deeper and more pronounced the closer they get to the tip. He wears simple clothing and soft leather boots beneath his red robes.

Personality:
Tymir is a glass half-full kind of guy who will point out that if you move the glass to the edge of the table and look up at it from a lower perspective it actually looks almost completely full instead. He comes from a close family and family really means a lot to him. His mother was killed and his father permanently injured in an accident, when Tymir was fourteen years old. His father's memory and ability to process thoughts were significantly impacted, and he could no longer work. His father's sister, Aelsynia, came to live with them and look after the family, filling the hole his mother had left as best she could. The accident was a defining moment for him, shaping his world view as he learned to appreciate the things he had as well as the things he had lost. He feels negative emotions just as strongly as anyone else, he's just really good at letting them go; unless they're caused by people treating his dad like less than the man he is because of an accident that was not his fault. That kindles an anger that is nearly all-consuming.

Backstory:

In-Character Sample

Last edited by Psynister; May 9th, 2021 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Finishing up the RP sample.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 02:41 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 152
FCastor FCastor
Just for the fun of it, and in case anyone needs a bit of inspiration or even what to steer away from, I will try my hand at what I consider the classes and backgrounds of the original Innfellows and Heroes of the Lance to be. And just to be on the safe side and not spoil anyone, it will be behind a spoiler.

I will also try to keep it PHB and XGtE only, but some alternatives will be provided.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by FCastor; Apr 27th, 2021 at 02:43 AM.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 08:21 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4413
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Quote:
Class: Any PHB or XGtE sources allowed with the exception of Cleric, Paladin and Divine Soul Sorcerors
Would that also include Celestial Warlock, since they're also capable of healing?
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 08:29 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4697
Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noquarter19 View Post
Would that also include Celestial Warlock, since they're also capable of healing?
I think the objection is divine power sources, not healing, since the gods returning is a major plot point in Dragonlance

Last edited by Mythrandil; Apr 27th, 2021 at 08:31 AM.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 11:53 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 832
Wisp Wisp Wisp Wisp Wisp Wisp Wisp
So, quick question regarding classes. Since divine classes aren't allowed would classes that are well, classified as divine casters be allowed? Namely Druid, or Ranger(I saw a Ranger application so I'm assuming yes) technically they are divine casters but draw their power from nature rather than gods. I apologize if this is a question answered in the settings lore, but I know next to nothing about Dragonlance but have always meant to get into it and this seems like it might be a good way to do that.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 12:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13064
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
This thread has got me reading my old Dragonlance books (the gaming ones, not the novels again... yet.) I found this real quick primer on Krynn at the start of DL01 that I thought might help people who are otherwise new to the setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragons of Despair
  1. Gold has no value in this world. Each place has its own currency and its own values for trade (these are explained in Appendix 1). What one country values may be worthless in another.
  2. Clerical spells have not existed for nearly 300 years. Some people still call themselves clerics, still belong to worshipful orders; however, all of these have turned their backs on the true gods in search of other, less demanding gods (which do not exist). These pseudo-clerics use the same combat table as true clerics but have no spell abilities. PC clerics brought into Krynn from other campaigns lose their spell-casting abilities at once. [REDACTED].
  3. No dragons have existed in Krynn for over 1000 years. As a result, most people in this world smile when dragons are mentioned, believing they are only folktales to frighten children. Few believe that dragons ever did exist; almost nobody believes that they exist now.

Characters: Del Corgan Iris Kettering Caleb Shaw Deirdre Venteuse John Alias

Last edited by hafrogman; Apr 27th, 2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 01:28 PM
Lord of Graves

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 585
Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis
To answer the various questions:-

1) Healing magic itself isn't a problem, magic from divine sources is as alluded to by @Mythrandil
2) I am perfectly happy with Druids and Rangers because, as said, their magic is powered by nature
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 02:05 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
dr kekyll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I know next to nothing about Dragonlance but have always meant to get into it and this seems like it might be a good way to do that.
If I'm remembering correctly, this is the adventure that started it all off in Dragons of Autumn Twilight. The Chronicles "trilogy" is an exciting ride you should definitely find time to take.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 02:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 832
Wisp Wisp Wisp Wisp Wisp Wisp Wisp
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr kekyll View Post
If I'm remembering correctly, this is the adventure that started it all off in Dragons of Autumn Twilight. The Chronicles "trilogy" is an exciting ride you should definitely find time to take.
Ah, thanks for that information. And it is a ride I fully intend to take, this popping up just gave me the reminder, and it seems fun.

Other than that however I do have a second question, are the Tiefling Bloodlines from Mordenkainen's available to use?
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 09:30 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 499
keylan keylan keylan keylan keylan
Definitely interested in joining this game. I remember reading the Chronicles and Legends in High School. Our gaming group back in the day only played Dragonlance.

I'll have a character concept up this week.
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 03:34 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 116
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Hello. Are you allowing the Ranger Optional Features from Tashas Cauldron? No problem if not.

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 04:28 AM
Lord of Graves

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 585
Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis
Tiefling Bloodlines and Ranger Features from Tasha's are both a no, sorry.
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 05:05 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 116
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Application for 'In Search of the Dragonlance - the Blue Crystal Staff Chronicles'
right-aligned image

Name: Caelynn Holimion
Race: Wood Elf
Class: Ranger
Subclass: Hunter
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Outlander
Role:Scout
Personality Traits:
I feel far more comfortable around animals than people.
I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won't save you from a hungry owlbear.
Ideal: Nature. The natural world is more important than all the constructs of civilization. (Neutral)
Bond: An injury to the unspoiled wilderness is an injury to me.
Flaw: I am slow to trust members of other races, tribes, and societies.

Description:
Caelynn has blond hair and blue eyes and dresses in the clothes of her people, which are green and brown to blend into the forest. She manages to look elegant and lithe, though the coldness in her eyes means that she is not someone who could be described as pretty. 5'6" tall and at only 100 lbs, she is short and slender even for an Elf. She carries a longbow and a pair of curved shortswords at all times, and those around her are aware of the tension that fills her. She tends to camouflage herself when she is travelling alone, but does not when amongst a group.

Personality:
Caelynn is a shy person, who makes friends slowly and carefully and is not a good conversationalist. She has a strong belief in what she does and dislikes the way that human societies treat their disadvantaged members. This makes her angry and she has no compunction about treating someone who is treating someone else badly in the way that she feels they deserve to be treated. She appears cold, but is a passionate believer in the wild and its importance and her passions can lead her to act without considering the consequences.
She believes that she can have a positive effect on the world providing that she keeps her head and works to bring those who destroy the natural world and do not live in balance with it. She is not afraid to bend the law to achieve the right outcome, which will be the best for those who cannot make the change happen themselves. She despises those with power who do not consider those without.

Backstory:
Caelynn was raised in the forests of the north and grew up loving them and her life amongst the trees. She was taken hunting by her uncle who taught her all he knew, and that turned out to be a lot. She grew to love the chase, and living on her own amongst the trees. She also learned that there were others in the world who were not in tune with the land and sought to control it rather than live with it, This led her to take action against them, and this led to her leaving her homeland and travel into human lands. It was here that she met the Innfellows nd began to travel with them. She has grown to trust each of them and believes that they are a group who seek to bring harmony to the lands. She still prefers to spend time alone, and is the quiet one within the group, but she enjoys sitting around a fire at the end of a day and listening to their talk. They have a place in her heart shared only by her clan.

Role Playing sample
Caelynn looked across the road at the man riding a horse, who was shouting at a woman who stood by his horse's flank. As his voice grew louder, her eyes tightened and the grim smile on her face faded. That human male thinks he is more important because he has horse and fine clothes. What right has he to treat that woman who was collecting wood for the fire from the roadside? Does he think he owns the wood that drops from the trees? she thought as she moved towards the pair with her strung bow in her hand. As she did, the man raised his whip and made to strike the woman. Faster than thought, she drew an arrow, nocked it and swung her bow to the aim. The arrow flew, and the whip was carried out of the hand of the man who turned at the interruption. As he started to turn his horse, she nocked another arrow and aimed it straight at his right eye. She said "Stay still, human. Your life depends upon your next move!" her voice light and airy, but cold as ice. Without taking her eyes of him, she spoke again with warmth in her voice "Take your firewood and go, sister. Leave this oaf to me.".

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.

Last edited by DebiRedHair; Apr 28th, 2021 at 05:38 AM.
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 05:10 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4413
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
App for Tanner Thorne is done, barring feedback. Looking forward to being considered.

edit: hello fellow ranger!

Last edited by Noquarter19; Apr 28th, 2021 at 05:19 AM.