RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 28th, 2021, 02:34 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4413
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
The allure of a years-long, 1-20 campaign is too much to resist. Anyway, here's me:

Who am I?
User Name: NoQuarter19/Ben

Experience Role playing: In person, just D&D 3.5. Since I've joined RPGX (<1 year), I've tried out 5e, Pathfinder 1&2E, Paranoia, PbtA, probably one or two others.

Post Preference: I try to give two-three good paragraphs, especially if it's a game that doesn't post a lot. I have a game that updates near daily, so my average posts there are about a paragraph. I guess I'd say it's situational - if it's a combat scene and I'm just popping up to shoot an arrow and ducking back down, that doesn't exactly need a novella worth of writing to convey the point.

Availability to Post: I'm a night owl, not by choice, so the vast majority of my posts are midnight or later, EST. Available more during weekdays since the weekend is usually family time.

Personal Archetype: I don't think I'd be selling myself short in saying that my characters lean more toward the chaotic (probably says something about me). I've got a number of different characters with a variety of personalities, enough so that I couldn't pin down which one speaks to me the most.

Favorite Roleplaying Experience: From the tabletop: probably either the time I nailed a streaking dragon with glitterdust and sent it crashing into the ground, or the time I bluffed a group of hobgoblins into thinking we were the "new guards," and that we "just hadn't received our uniforms yet." On here, I guess that'd be Jak's traitor reveal. That was a pretty good one.

(Optional) Writing Sample: My character Raithe's introductory post was pretty good.
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 08:24 AM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4506
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
So satisfying seeing this get some traction. Thank you, everyone, for applying. And we've already got such a great crop of talent! I'm loving the writing samples.

Just to be clear, you don't have to post your real name when applying.
Icereach#8108 | Gost, a campaign setting
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 10:33 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 208
Silim Silim Silim
I've added in two writing examples for my application now. Hope you like them!
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 09:59 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 105
Balthazzar Balthazzar
Game Application
User Name: Balthazzar

Experience Role playing: Been playing rpg's for 35 years starting with the Basic Red Box set (The 1981 Revision) containing the classic module B2 The Keep on the Borderlands. After Basic I went to Advanced D&D and played that until 3.0. I have played Palladium, TMNT RPG, GURPS, 3.5, 5e, 13th Age, Cortex, CODA, FATE, SWSE, Star Wars D20, several Homebrew Systems and more than a handful of systems I no longer remember the names to.

For the last 20 years I have played on RPOL (RolePlay OnLine).

I am currently in a Solo Game on this site. I've applied for 2 others but both GM's went AWOL and neither made it passed the application stage. So, I apologize in advance if the GM disappears. It's possible I am cursed.

Post Preference: Usually a few paragraphs. Shorter during combat.

Availability to Post: Daily. I work 24 hour shifts and have 4-5 hours of down time every night and when I'm home I can post at any time throughout the day.

Personal Archetype: I use to have a Personal Archetype, well a couple... Dwarven Cleric or Halfling Rogue... I don't have a Personal Archetype anymore. After 35 years I've played just about everything. I guess my Current Personal Archetype is more of an Anti-Personal Archetype. I look to play something I have never played before. One reason I am loving Pathfinder. With all the Racial Alternate Features and Archetypes to Alter Classes it's easy to create something new and fresh.

Favorite Roleplaying Experience: Wow... I don't know... I've had so many awesome adventures... Hunting down and defeating the Lich Zhengyi (Forgotten Realms) is up at the top.

Writing Sample: I play the character Melethron I guess you need an account to be able to read that. I will copy a few posts below:

Post 1Melethron was not bothered by the wait. There was a library after all. And Melethron loved nothing more than reading and learning. He scanned through the shelves as he looked for anything on his favorite topics; The Arcane, the Planes, or on Magnimar itself and its Nobility. He listened to any gossip that floated passed his ears and if interesting enough he recorded it in one of his many books.
OOC:Perception Check to hear passing gossip and Take 20 (no modifier) to locate books of interest.

20:09, Today: Melethron rolled 12 using 1d20. Perception Check.

NOTE: Melethron has Detect Magic as a constant spell-like ability which he uses every round unless otherwise stated.

Post 2 Melethron caught sight of the woman's entrance but his attention was fully enthralled in the herbs found in the forests of Taldor and didn't register the importance of her entrance. It wasn't until she was speaking to him that he came back to the reality around him. With a start he put the book down, open on the table as he wasn't yet finished reading about poisonous fungi.

As she introduced herself he responded, "Yes, yes... Sheila Heidmarch, I recognized you when you came in... I am curious, do you know who I am? Who my family are? It's understandable if you don't but am wondering to what degree you looked into me before deciding to summon me to your aide... Which I am more than willing to give, that is why I am here after all."

Post 3He had recognized her from his father's last birth celebration. He'd been his families biggest secret. The bastard child of his mother's affair, he'd been locked away for years in a secret wing of their families palace. He saw all that transpired upon his families palace from the window of the tower he had been kept in. He'd asked his father whom she was and many others and as always he told him everything he knew about everyone. For someone locked away in a tower his whole life he knew more about the Magnimar Nobility than most of those Nobles did.

Melethron hadn't expected her to know who he was. His mother thought him dead and his brothers and sisters didn't even know he existed. He was not sure if he should be impressed by her information gathering abilities or afraid.

She put his fears at rest, however, when she offered to discreetly keep his identity between the two of them, asking if he'd prefer to use another name instead of his family one. With a few moments of thought he recalled a character in a book he'd read once. At the time he was young and he couldn't be sure if it was a fantasy novel or a history book about a once great Wizard.

"I appreciate your candor and discretion Lady Heidmarch. I have not used my last name since leaving my captivity and would prefer to keep it that way. If you would mark me down as Melethron Greymantle I would greatly appreciate it. I had thought that only my father and a few of the House's Wizards were aware of my existence. You have my respect for your ability to learn of secrets that so few would know about."

She then spoke of a Pathfinder that would be leaving the Societies service and that he would be replacing.

"I will do my best to prove my worth to you and the Society." As he spoke he kept glancing back to the open stone box he'd noticed earlier which pinged of magic. He looked back to Sheila and asked, "I apologize but my curiosity gets the better of me... What is that ruin covered box for? I can see that it radiates magic but its purpose escapes me." He went silent, hoping he hadn't overstepped and asked about things he should not be asking about.

Last edited by Balthazzar; Apr 29th, 2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 08:14 AM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
Welcome and welcome and welcome. Considering we have 9 good applicants for 5 spots, I'm going to modify my timeline just a bit. If we go a week without any new interest I'll go ahead and make last call and decide from the applicant pool as it stands at the time. I'll give you warning if, for some reason, your application is still incomplete.

Meanwhile I'm working on stuff in the background. If you're interested in a bit of info about the game's prominent NPCs you can find them right here.

Last edited by Icereach; Apr 29th, 2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 09:30 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10712
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
User Name: Munday Knight
Experience Role playing: Systems: D&D Advanced and 2-5E (Very little 4 and most of 3.5), Pathfinder, Gurps, Fate, a couple dozen more that I have only played once or twice. As for time now over 15 years which makes me feel really old to admit.
Post Preference: Post length varies based on whats going on in the story and available time. Aim for 2-4 paragraphs for general posts with combat posts tending to be shorter unless its a dynamic battlefield.
Availability to Post: When life is normal I am available Monday-Thursday but normal has been abnormal for a long time but consistently 1-2 times per week mattering on the speed of the game.

Personal Archetype: Depends somewhat on the metalevel focus of the character. My melee characters tend to be good natured oafs with underlying anger issues. Ranged martial characters tend to be reserved and analytical. Casters tend to be social and friendly even when they are int or wis based. For this game the character concept I have mixes that up a bit because I am wanting to do a lizardfolk druid and the words friendly and social are both things I wouldn't generally use in relation to lizardfolk.

Favorite Roleplaying Experience: In college I ran a 24 hour straight drop-in drop-out one shot for a charity that my residence hall did the week before finals. I would love to give highlights from it but by the end of it I was so sleep deprived between studying the day before and running it all day the whole thing feels like a fever dream. I vaguely remember someone hopped in while the party was on a cliff, jumped about 30 feet onto a Roc nest, rolled a 20 on handle animal to politely get the Roc to get the party to the top of the mountain, and returned the sheet saying they would leave on a high note.

Writing Sample (Brief intro into potential character): WIP

Selection of older posts: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...28#post9057628
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...70#post8824170
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...39#post9010839
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 11:31 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
Old May 1st, 2021, 07:09 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 993
DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess
User Name: You can just call me DNP!

Experience Role playing: I think it's been nearly 10 years of PBP. I have played a lot of 3.5 and pathfinder, a little of 5e, and have dabbled in some other systems.

Post Preference: I'll usually write several paragraphs. Occasionally when making a quick response to individuals, I make much shorter, less elaborate posts.

Availability to Post: Daily!

Personal Archetype: I find myself gravitating to someone that is unarmed, unarmored, and pacifist. It could be a monk. Or a wizard, a sorcerer, or a healer. Even a darn commoner.

Favorite Roleplaying Experience: Like many others, I can hardly say or choose! I've had the pleasure of being able to play a pixie that fits my archetype, and I really like the games I'm currently in. The only thing not to like is the slower pace.

Writing Sample: I'm also in a game with Munday! I guess, to be lazy, I'll link to a whole thread for you to enjoy. I'd say everyone there has done phenomenally.
Old May 1st, 2021, 09:27 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3216
Frederik Frederik Frederik Frederik Frederik Frederik Frederik Frederik Frederik Frederik Frederik
User Name: Frederik

Experience Role playing: I guess I have played for around 25 years by now. I first started playing shadowrun in my local roleplaying club. When I went to boarding school a few years latter I was introduced to AD&D, which I disliked, but when I came home from boarding school people had started playing D&D 3e and since then it became my stable go to fantasy system. I moved to 3.5 as most others, but first really moved to pathfinder when I started on this site 4 years ago.
While 3.5 and pathfinder is my bread and butter I have played a lot of other systems. GURPS, rollemaster, white wolf, ars magica, LARP, homebrew and this list goes on. It is properly easier to say that I took part of my teacher training at a roleplaying boarding school and that roleplaying is still a relative big part of my job, so I get around.

Post Preference: When a new game start up my posts start out being relative short, but as the game progress and I get a better feeling for my character they get longer. Most post will properly end up being around two paragraphs.

Availability to Post: I work at a boarding school, so there will properly be one week day were I can’t post, because I have evening shift. There will also be a handfull of times each year were I have super long weekend/all the students are arriving/all students are leaving shifts. At those times my posts will either be rather short or I simply can’t post for a few days.

Personal Archetype: As class I enjoy playing characters that hit with big swords, buff people and have some magic. So paladins, occultist, bard and especially skald are my favorite characters to play. I enjoy playing concepts like the well educated lizardman or the clumsy sword fighter.

Favorite Roleplaying Experience: My favorite roleplaying experience was as a gm for two 3.5 campaigns. I had a group make an adventure party and when they had gotten to learn the world, characters and area they were all killed and made into vampires. As vampires they made a huge multi-layered underworld organisation, while still fighting the evil cultists they fought as adventures.

They introduced many RPG stables to the world. Like they made a franchise of adventuring inns that posted job offerings to adventures. That way they tried to direct adventures away from their own opperations and towards competitors.

After about a year I introduced a new group into the same world. It was a huge success. The new group just accepted some of the troops the first group had made, but as time passed by they slowly uncovered the bigger, but hiden vampire/cultist plot. There were many crossover events were people from both parties played together.

There were just so many unique experiences. Like when the vampire paladin finally realising that he had becomed evil. When the second group realised that the first group were vampires. Lots of stuff like that.

Last edited by Frederik; May 1st, 2021 at 09:28 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 01:45 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 65
Ryumancer
User Name:
Experience Role playing: Oh boy, I honestly... can't remember how long i've been RPing and attempting TTRPG sessions. Somewhere around 6-7 years? Systems i've toyed with would include PF1E and it's Final Fantasy conversion, Tales of Phantasmal Land (Touhou), Netbattlers (Megaman Battle Network), Pokemon Tabletop United, Dungeons: The Dragoning, various Fire Emblem systems (Heroes of Lite, Fire Emblem DIY, etc). On the other hand though, this isn't as impressive a resume as it actually seems, since I have remarkably **** luck with games not falling apart, so most of my experience is in the rules and character creation portions.

Post Preference: Highly variable. In situations like pure-dialogue, or in situations where my character is essentially just tagging along, my posts tend to be pretty concise. In situations where there's a lot for me to analyze, or for combat scenes, my posts tend to be much, much longer.

Availability to Post: Almost constant. There are a few blips in my schedule, like sleeping or a Tales of Phantasmal Land game i'm currently in (Sunday afternoons), but I have more free time than I really know what to do with.

Personal Archetype: Tactician and rules-guy. It's something I just can't avoid leaking into my characters, so might as well roll with it and play characters with the same inclinations, y'know? I think, for this particular game, i'd want to bring in an Oracle. I could go a more physically-inclined build easily, but i'm feeling amused by the idea of going full Caster, Eldritch Heritage to get me some Psychic spells, Dreamed Secrets to get me some Wizard spells. Probably make a summoning focused build, they're... probably not as big of a hassle to keep track of in PbP, compared to realtime.

Favorite Roleplaying Experience: Not sure I have one distinct favorite place i've RP'd in, due to bad luck with things falling apart. I think, if i had to pick one... the first and second things to come to mind were from two different PTU games. In the first, there was a wild Marowak trapped under a boulder that it's kid, a Cubone was trying to move. The entire party came together to help it, but none of us had good Athletics so even working together it took us just barely too long to move the boulder, the Marowak died, and my Channeller comforted the Cubone and offered it a spot on the team since it had nowhere else to go and nobody else to take care of it. Second thing that comes to mind, from a second PTU game... I had just joined the game because one of their other players dropped out. The villain had baited them into a trapped building... but the GM hadn't actually planned an escape route for the villain, so after the party rescued my character... I suggested just detonating the villain's explosives ourselves, from far enough away that we wouldn't get caught in the blast. Unfortunately the party waffled long enough between whether to walk into the trap 'fairly' or turn the trap against the villain that one of the party members got fed up and charged in... leading to the rest of us hurriedly backing the kid up, and just barely managing to capture the villain alive without the explosives accidentally getting detonated.

(Optional) Writing Sample: (from Exodia, an RP i'm currently staffing in. Not a TTRPG system, but by extension, perhaps a purer example of my writing.)

Last edited by Ryumancer; May 12th, 2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 10:40 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Sorcerious Sorcerious
User Name: Sorcerious

Experience Role playing: Coming off a 10ish year hiatus. Prior to that I have around 10 years experience. Most of it is in DnD 3.0/3.5. Though I have also played DnD 2nd and 4th as well as d20 Star Wars and Mechwarrior 3rd edition. This would be my first pathfinder game and also first play by post game. I have read the rule book and can pickup anything else that will be needed.

Post Preference: 3-5 paragraphs sounds ideal

Availability to Post: I am free daily in the evening after the kids go to bed and occasionally during the day for shorter posts. EST.

Personal Archetype: I tend to play support characters. Often this takes the form of some type of spell caster. I have been meaning to branch out though and would be happy to play anything if a specific class is needed. Role play wise I often find myself gravitating toward characters that project an aura of no-nonsense or authority while quietly instigating and hiding a snicker at the end result when all hell breaks loose. I am not the kind of player to pour through a dozen books to pick and choose the right combination to make some crazy unstoppable combo. I tend to stick with 1 or 2 sources for my characters.

Favorite Roleplaying Experience: DnD 3.5, Homebrew Campaign. We were playing characters that were once mighty hero’s and had been risen from the dead at low level to help keep a civilization from being wiped out by their enemies. We kept the gear we were buried with and unknown to us we were all carrying major artifacts that seemed mundane as we didn’t know how to use them. So we roamed the countryside trying to investigate our past. I stopped in at the capital city to visit the wizard academy figuring that there might be some record of me or maybe my staff. By this point we were starting to figure out the artifact part.

I walked through the door into a busy foyer and right about the time I realized the 30ft tall gold statue of the schools founder was a statue of me I walked through a magic item detector (think metal detector, security was high) and the thing went off causing the whole room to look at me and most of the accomplished wizards present realized I was not impressive enough to be carrying the equipment I had. A flurry of questions and bluff checks later I managed to get out but had to skip town without finding the answers to my questions. For months after that the party would occasionally have to defend ourselves against less reputable wizards who thought they would be a better match for our equipment.

(Optional) Writing Sample: I don’t have an example of my writing to copy here so I though I would draw some inspiration from your post above and write my character telling others the story of how he ended up in the house. I wanted to note though that it sounds like you have an idea in mind for this so there is zero hard feelings on my part if it is ignored. I just needed something to write about.

“How did I end up in the house?” Marloc replied. “Well I suppose it’s only fair that I share my story too. Its really not that different then your own.” He paused and took a sip of his drink, considering where to start.

“Some of my earliest memories are of hearing stories of adventure in far off places. Whether it was brave hero’s fighting dragons, inquisitive archaeologists combing the ruins of long dead civilizations, or even humble traders voyaging to far off lands to make a living, I wanted to hear about them all.” Again, he paused and stared at the ceiling with the wistful look of a man that had reflected on this moment many times.

“Well. I had exhausted all the stories my family knew, and then all the stories my neighbours knew, and the next logical step seemed to be finding new people with new adventures to share. So… one evening I lied about going to a friends house and instead went to the tavern just down the hill near the river. I had heard travelers often stopped there for the night.”

“Anyway, I get there and am walking around trying to listen in without being noticed. Nobody paid me much attention as I was pretty small at the time and they were all busy enjoying their evening. This tall man with a strange accent is talking about the trees in his homeland when all of a sudden I hear a drunken voice loudly slur ‘MARLOC, YOU OLD SEA DOG!’”

He stopped and chuckled to himself, draining the last of his cup and gestured widely to his companions as he explained his thoughts. “Now as adults it is pretty obvious to us all that some traveler had ran into a friend who had the misfortune of sharing my name, but as a kid, who was not supposed to be there I was terrified. Someone had spotted me and I didn’t know what a sea dog was but I sure as heck did not want to find out the hard way. I froze, a tipsy patron immediately fell over me and landed hard on the floor. The shatter of broken a glass, and screams from nearby guests who had just been drenched with its contents, caused everyone nearby to look in my direction. “

“I bolted for the door convinced the whole tavern was going to tell my parents I was there. I ran as fast as I could, certain that the adults were going to catch me or that the loud man was going to send his sea dogs to retrieve me. What was I going to tell my parents? Maybe I cold make it to my friends house and convince him to claim we had been there the whole night. I ducked around the corner and hid is an open doorway.”

“It wasn’t just any doorway and I think you all know the rest of the story.” He glanced at the man sitting next to him. “What bout you Sev, how did you end up here?”

Last edited by Sorcerious; May 3rd, 2021 at 10:41 PM.
Old May 4th, 2021, 12:04 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Balthazzar Balthazzar
Did I miss something? Was the submittion date extended past May 1st?
Old May 4th, 2021, 12:15 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 65
Ryumancer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazzar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icereach View Post
Welcome and welcome and welcome. Considering we have 9 good applicants for 5 spots, I'm going to modify my timeline just a bit. If we go a week without any new interest I'll go ahead and make last call and decide from the applicant pool as it stands at the time. I'll give you warning if, for some reason, your application is still incomplete.

Meanwhile I'm working on stuff in the background. If you're interested in a bit of info about the game's prominent NPCs you can find them right here.
Yeah, seems like submissions are remaining open until no new submissions are, well, submitted. Lucky for me, i suppose, since i only just found the forum
Old May 4th, 2021, 06:27 AM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazzar View Post
The original date was (and still is) tentatively June 1st. I've decided to shorten that if interest drops off.
Old May 4th, 2021, 07:39 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Balthazzar Balthazzar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icereach View Post
The original date was (and still is) tentatively June 1st. I've decided to shorten that if interest drops off.
My bad
I have mixed up the application deadline for a different game.
I am new to the site and have applied for 2 games that both had the GM's vanish just as their deadlines were reached.

Feels like I've been waiting for months for a game to select players and start a game.