Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 235
xcalibur xcalibur xcalibur
Aliens: LV-974

Game NameAliens: LV-974
Game SystemFate Condensed
Themesurvival in a harsh environment, outwitting deadly enemies, tough colonial life
Flavoursci-fi wild west with corporate nastiness
More InfoSummary
LV-974 is a regular-size planet, with regular gravity. It can produce freak weather in bouts lasting weeks, which is icing on the cake on this globe which has tough terrain and local wildlife to begin with.

The characters are going to be an independent troubleshooting mercenary team. If you want to make ends meet, you are supposed to talk to interested parties and negotiate for extra if you do extra stuff for them.

Setting
I don't like the nihilistic mood of the Alien anthology, where the aliens can out-wit, out-run, out-gun, out-smash, out-hide, out-anything everyone and everything. Things are dangerous in this game, but survivable, and you can bring a little light in the world if you care enough.

Also, the Engineers do not exist, although there is a reason for the existence of numerous extremely hostile alien species.

The extensive forest on the continent where settlement started is a mixture of weird rock formations and vine-like growth that cling to the rock, which sends hanging feelers towards the ground, creating curtains of plant mass that block sight, somewhere between 6-60 meters. There are spots where the tops of rock formations are 80 meters high, with large 'fields' where they are only 1 meter high.

Since the roots block underground channels and rot away in a cycle, water bodies (both rivers and lakes) appear, disappear, and shift frequently. You never know what you find at a location that was a river a week ago.

There are seven 'settlements' currently, some of them are just called that officially.
* Stygia (974): the first settlement, in a deep canyon, mining and manufacture
* Mendoza (639): the latest one, started 5 months ago, mobile, agriculture
* Nirvana (325): a religious village of people close to nature, it is the entertainment center
* WYSF-23 (72): Weyland-Yutani science outpost, looking for anything exploitable
* Winyala (38): hospital, corporate medical service, you are basically in their pocket for life if you get a loaned package
* Jackson-9 (17): corporate meteorological station, doing very classified stuff
* AMN-2523 (12): a private precious crystal search team, basically a family

Fate
* Instead of skill stunts, characters will have Talents (a list of circumstances), and a Talent Pool to boost rolls when any of those circumstances apply.
* Stunts are either connections, which you can use to acquire stuff and favors periodically, or extra stress or consequence slots. The latter two come in two stress points or one mild consequence.
* There is a Combat Stress track, which can only be used in fast-paced physical situations. It starts at 0, you have to buy combat experience.
* Consequences are not just Aspects, I can use them till the end of every Refresh until they are healed: up to their value in +2's. So if you have your moderate slot marked (6), I can use it 3 times to boost opposition by +2. All characters have an unlimited amount of extreme consequence slots (8), but they never fully heal, they become permanently marked mild slots.

Game Details
2-3 players
Fate condensed
5 stunts, Talent Pool: 10, Talents: 5, Refresh: 5
Mix of social interaction, action, exploration, investigation
3 posts a week

Application
Personality, including social attitude
Motivations, ambitions
At least two Aspects
Connection Stunts
Top three Skills

Last edited by xcalibur; May 4th, 2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 05:23 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5702
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Application
right-aligned image

RILEY MILLS

Personality: Riley is a good natured and easygoing, if slightly sardonic guy. He likes wise cracking and doesn’t always know when to be quiet, though he is quick to shut his mouth to avoid conflict when it arises.

Motivation/Ambition: A man of simple pleasures, Riley takes joy in a job well done. His primary motivation on any given day is to be damn good at what he does, get paid, and crack open a cold beer whenever he hits town, putting the majority of his earnings aside for later. Eventually, Riley hopes to be able to get some land of his own, settle down and start a family... once he finds the right girl.

Aspects:
  • High Concept: Gearhead. Whether he’s repairing a car, upgrading a radar system, or modifying a gun, Riley’s at his most zen when he’s working on tech and equipment.
  • Trouble: Hyperfocused. When Riley is focused on a task, he tends to block out the world around him and can often miss when people are speaking, or when potential danger is near.

Connections:
  • Lars: A Weyland-Yutani employee at WYSF-23. Has access to various pieces of leaked intel, as well as the occasional component or piece of equipment that "falls off the back of a truck."
  • Bradley and Tina: Proprietors of the local watering hole at Stygia. Riley occasionally does free repairs around the property for them in exchange for food, a warm bed, and an open line on any interesting work leads that come through their place.

Top Skills: Crafts, Shoot, Resources

Last edited by Touketsu; May 4th, 2021 at 03:49 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 01:55 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome, Touketsu.

And all newcomers to Fate are welcome to the game. It's easy to learn and very flexible and creative.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 05:28 PM
Lord of Graves

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 585
Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis
I'll bite, especially as its newbie friendly .

One application incoming....
Old May 3rd, 2021, 01:40 AM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
fasterthanlight
Is it chance that the name of the planet and the population of the largest settlement is the same?
Old May 3rd, 2021, 03:01 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
To clarify, we will each have 5 stunts which we can split between connections and extra stress/consequence slots?
Old May 3rd, 2021, 04:56 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterthanlight View Post
Is it chance that the name of the planet and the population of the largest settlement is the same?
Not just chance Originally, the population was 800-something, but I glanced at the planet name and changed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touketsu View Post
To clarify, we will each have 5 stunts which we can split between connections and extra stress/consequence slots?
Yes.
Old May 4th, 2021, 03:49 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
App is done. Let me know if you need any more info or have feedback .

Last edited by Touketsu; May 4th, 2021 at 03:49 AM.
Old May 4th, 2021, 02:18 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I really like Riley through and through. Adventurous, tough but nice, down-to-earth ambitions and goals, fits the lightened-up Alien universe perfectly.

Let's hope now we get at least one more app, I'm fine with two characters, if you're ok with that.

Sooner or later I'll rename several skills to more hard-sci-fi-sounding ones, and I'd be happy to hear some ideas on that front.
Old May 4th, 2021, 06:45 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 499
keylan keylan keylan keylan keylan
I'm very interested in joining this game. I have an idea for an engineer but have never played FATE so I would need some serious help in creating him.

Name: Thomas Daniels
Personality: Thomas is
Motivations, ambitions:
At least two Aspects
Connection Stunts
Top three Skills
Old May 5th, 2021, 11:53 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
have never played FATE so I would need some serious help in creating him.
Go ahead, ask anything, I'll help you all along.

Last edited by xcalibur; May 6th, 2021 at 12:31 AM.