Notices

Old May 3rd, 2021, 09:35 AM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3095
briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar
Delve: At the End of Time

ThemeBrought forth beyond the end of all things, four brave souls delve into a mysterious tower in hopes of discovering the fate of the world, as well as their own. Through the machinations of powers beyond them, they have a chance to restore what was once lost, and possibly rewrite history, or perish along with a world that has long forgotten them.
FlavourAction, Adventure, Dungeon Crawl, Medieval Fantasy, Mega-Dungeon, Mystery, Plot-Centric, Post-Apocalyptic, Puzzles, Restore the Past, Time Travel
Plot Summary

"The only thing permanent about this world...is change."

right-aligned image
Image Credit: Zack Fowler
You awaken to the howling of the desert wind and the low toll of a bell. And just as your eyes struggle to see through the haze of sand that wafts all around you like a curtain of dancing earth, so too does your mind strain through the daze of your awakening.

The wind, the sand, the air, the ground. Cities, people, things. Your name, the color of your hair, your height. You know these. They are familiar, just as it is to hold forth your hand or open your mouth to speak. Yet of anything beyond these most elementary aspects of life, you cannot remember, and only small fragments of memory flit and flicker about in the otherwise empty annals of your recollection.

At length, the wind dies down long enough for you to get your bearings, and your eyes scan the world around you in an attempt to find something--anything--that will bring back the wayward echoes of your lost reminiscence. But the world...is naught. The sky is shrouded in a thick canopy of dismal gray clouds, the land is a sea of sand as far as your vision can stretch. You think perhaps you might see the shadow of mountains on the distant horizon, but nothing is certain through the dim gloom of the sandy tapestries.

Then, as your turn around again, you feel your gaze inextricably draw forth towards a looming shadow, and as if to point your way forward, the dusty veil gives way to gnarled stone, alcoves, and balconies. Out of the billow appears a singular structure, impossible in size disappearing wholly into the clouds above. A dark, brooding tower--a thing that looks as though it could only have been wrought by the hand of a god, or perhaps many gods.

As you gape at the mysterious, unimaginable thing before you, however, you once again hear the low din of a bell somewhere, and just as the curtains of sand again rise up to blanket the world around you, you catch sight of movement. Fleeting figures in the haze, all running towards the shelter of the slowly disappearing tower. And that's when you realize...

...you aren't alone!

Greetings! Over the course of the past three weeks, two games I've been playing in (one here, one elsewhere) have died, leaving my RP plate rather lacking. As such, I've decided to run a second game, this one in a new setting I've been working with off and on for a few years now. The synopsis is as follows:

Four individuals in an alternate Earth setting find themselves thrust in a post-apocalyptic future, with no memory of what happened either to themselves or the world at large. The only clue they have to go on is a sinister tower of incomparable size, which is in fact a mechanism that can turn back time and allow them to change the past so as to avoid the bleak, dismal future that awaits.

This game will begin with--and is at its core--a dungeon-crawl in which PCs will navigate the tower and overcome its challenges and obstacles in order to access its various time-related mechanisms. As the campaign progresses, however, they will be able to partake in the storyline of the world beyond the tower as well. At the same time, while there will, of course, be some standard combat scenarios, most challenges I pit you against will be less about stat numbers, advantage bonuses and character builds, and more about using your head, being clever, and solving the 'puzzle'--some of which are gleefully lethal.

If you're a fan of games that play with time like Chrono Trigger, Dark Cloud 2, and Life is Strange, you will probably enjoy the concept. If you enjoyed puzzle-heavy games like Myst, the Last Guardian, and Secrets of Monkey Island, you'll get your fill of that. And if you liked games where action meets strategy like Shadow of the Colossus and Horizon: Zero Dawn, there's lots of that, too. Maybe throw in a little Tomb of Horrors aspect for good measure.
Character Creation and Game InformationCharacter Level: 2
Feats: Available
Character Options: Please keep your choice of race relatively 'Ideally, nothing *too* monstrous.tame'.
Sources: WotC Published, non-Playtest Material, non-Planeshift

HP: Maximum at every level.
Statistic Generation: 5d6, drop the lowest 2. Reroll any scores under 7. If you have more than 2 scores under 10, you may reroll the whole set.
Equipment: One Trinket (You can create your own if you don't want to roll randomly).

Background Customization: Yes.

Character Concepts to Avoid: One-Trick Ponies, Obvious Character Rip-Offs, Munchkining, Lawful/Chaotic Stupid/Obnoxious

Other Stipulations: You may create characters from any reasonable period of time, be it medieval, renaissance, modern times, space-age era, whatever. No matter where you're from, however, you have only a very vague recollection of it--mostly fleeting glimpses of what you think must have been your life. Aside from your name, what you are, and what you can do, you know very little other yourself. Depending on what time period you're born in, you can expect to understand some generally fundamental things, like math, how to read, basic science, or at the very least, how a door works, and if you come across something like a trap or puzzle, your character should have the ability to solve it even if they don't exactly where they're getting their information. As the game progresses, however, I will let you start to recollect some of these things, though while in some cases, you'll get to decide what memories you have, sometimes I will give you memories that you will need to react to. Please keep this in mind as you create a concept for your character.

In addition, if I haven't played with you before, I encourage you to write little blurb about your expectations for this kind of game, as well as what things about RPGs you tend to enjoy. Please feel free to be as specific (or not) as you like.

Number of Players Requested: 4
Preferred Posting Rate: 2-3+ Times / Week
Date of Ad Closure: Monday, May 17th 2021
Projected Date of Game Start: Tuesday, May 18th, 2021

PCApplicantRaceClassStatus
Julian Blackwood TouketsuHalflingCleric/RogueWorking

FAQsQ: Where do I roll my statistics?
A: We'll roll them later on in the forum when it's granted to us. PLEASE DO NOT ROLL IN THIS THREAD.

Q: Should I write a backstory?
A: No, however, you should keep a few possible options open. You'll discover your backstory in time and yes, I have it set up that you will have creative control, but I also want you to be open to interpretation. All I want from you right now is an approximation of an Earth-equivalent time period.

Q: What Pantheon are you using?
A: I'm not. Or at least, you are unaware of it. This is an Alternate Earth setting and the elements of its background are shrouded in mystery. You don't know what culture or period of time you're from, or even if you're from this world to begin with. If you choose to play a divine character, you simply know that you have a passionate fervor to your beliefs, or that you once dedicated your life to serving a cause.

Q: Is there even a point to asking questions?
A: Of course, just expect that there is very little I'm planning on sharing in terms of background lore. It's meant that you discover the world from an outside perspective, sort of like an Isekai anime, but not at the same time. You're more likely to get a solid answer when it comes to meta-knowledge mechanics or whether your character should know or not what something is (like a tower, or a desert; both yes). That said, there's no such thing as a stupid question, so please feel free to ask with hesitation.

Last edited by briar; May 4th, 2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 06:57 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
SirMoogle
I'm very interested. I think RPGCrossing asks that dice rolls be kept to a created game forum (and not here in the recruitment thread), so would you prefer to just see character concepts here?
Old May 3rd, 2021, 07:51 PM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
Yes, correct on both counts. I generally dont ask for sheets at the onset anyway, the CC stuff is mostly just there to give you an idea what to expect.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 08:02 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
SirMoogle
Awesome! You say that the characters originate from an alternate Earth setting; does that mean that sapient races other than humans exist there, or is everyone a human that may have been transformed into a different race upon arriving in this world?

This is also a subtle attempt to ask if you allow Variant Humans.

Last edited by SirMoogle; May 3rd, 2021 at 08:04 PM.
Old May 4th, 2021, 12:50 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1208
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
Which game system will be utilized? 5e?
Old May 4th, 2021, 03:12 AM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMoogle View Post
Awesome! You say that the characters originate from an alternate Earth setting; does that mean that sapient races other than humans exist there, or is everyone a human that may have been transformed into a different race upon arriving in this world?

This is also a subtle attempt to ask if you allow Variant Humans.
Well, I'm allowing you to be any of the usable races, but as for what kinds of people existed here in the past, you're unaware.

But yes, you may use Variant Human.

@Jrod: Yes, 5th Edition, per the thread tag.
Old May 4th, 2021, 04:37 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5702
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Father Julian
right-aligned image

JULIAN BLACKWOOD
”Father Julian”

Race: Ghostwise Halfling
Class: Knowledge DomainCleric 1/Going with Inquisitive archetypeRogue 1
Background: Harrowing Event: I was the sole survivor after [REDACTED]... um. Something about a... fire?
Personality Traits:
- I often mutter to myself when I’m thinking.
- I keep a notebook full of seemingly random thoughts and observations.
Ideal: Knowledge. Knowledge is power... and until I find a new purpose in my life, I will wield knowledge and logic against the forces of chaos.
Bond: What happened to me was violent and senseless. Hopefully I can do my part to spare others from knowing my pain.
Flaw: I am a functioning alcoholic... my mind is only my friend as long as I’ve had a drink recently.
The Haunted One
Alignment: Neutral

Physical Description: At 54, Father Julian looks even older than he is, weathered by his years on the road living out of inns, temples, and the bottle. He has medium length, wild silver hair, and a thick mustache and beard covering a hardened face, with a sizable scar over one eye. His clothing, while moderately fine in origin, has a ragged appearance indicative of a man who has lost much. Somewhat stocky, Julian’s run down appearance belies surprising strength and quickness.

Personality: Father Julian is a hard-drinking, solemn man that holds his cards close to his chest. He has a quiet and reserved demeanor, preferring to observe situations before involving himself, if at all. He thinks before he acts, and he speaks deliberately and carefully when providing council. While not outwardly social, Julian is not unkind to others, though he can be judgmental, and makes it a point to avoid fools.

Expectations: Honestly, I try to keep my expectations unfocused and vague; I like the concept a lot, and I think my biggest expectation is that the story should be very interesting. I enjoy games with an air of mystery, particularly ones where part of the mystery involves developing the characters themselves. Were I selected, I’d look forward to watching our characters interact, get to know each other, and then evolve as they learned more about themselves as well while they work to try and stop this awful future from happening.
Old May 4th, 2021, 04:40 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Since you didn’t have a template, I wasn’t sure what kind of info you wanted for a character concept; hopefully I pretty much covered it. I have a backstory in mind in case you wanted that provided as well, but it seems like you might have wanted it open to sort of write for us as well.

Anyway, feedback is appreciated! I love the concept of your game. Regardless of who you select, I look forward to reading along with the story as it unfolds.
Old May 4th, 2021, 05:26 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4849
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Ooh, this looks like a fun campaign . Mystery, time travel, puzzles... I'd very much like to submit an application for this game!

Since the game is set in an Earth-alternate universe (and not, say, Faerun or Greyhawk), I was wondering what sort of deities would be appropriate? I'm thinking of writing up a monk, who believes the world will tying into the post-apocalyptic settingone day end, and that and elves, dwarves etc.humanity as a whole must transcend to a higher form of existence to survive. This leads him to believe his current situation is a glimpse of the future, shown to him by his chosen deity.

Which begs the question, what deity. Because if we're going for an alternate Earth setting, I was actually thinking about using some Aztec influences (who tried to wipe out humanity four times already- my reasoning is that he's doing this to prevent Cipactli (the real World-Devouring Thing Which Sleeps Beneath The Earth) from murdering us allTezcatlipoca). But if that's not appropriate, I'd be more than happy to go for a more traditional D&D deity!
Old May 4th, 2021, 06:22 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
SirMoogle
Right now my character concept is of a somewhat elderly Rock Gnome Wizard (Order of Scribes), who has some flashes of having been in a library before. He addresses others politely and is always happy to share knowledge with those who want it. Solving the mystery before him is of utmost importance to him; the desolate landscape before him suggests a land of lost knowledge, and preserving what remains of it is paramount.
Old May 4th, 2021, 07:13 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMoogle View Post
Right now my character concept is of a somewhat elderly Rock Gnome Wizard (Order of Scribes), who has some flashes of having been in a library before. He addresses others politely and is always happy to share knowledge with those who want it. Solving the mystery before him is of utmost importance to him; the desolate landscape before him suggests a land of lost knowledge, and preserving what remains of it is paramount.
Ha, that’s kind of interesting. My concept character also came from a library (that’s his level of cleric; figured a god of knowledge’s temple would probably be a library.) I wonder if they’re connected.
Old May 4th, 2021, 08:09 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
SirMoogle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touketsu View Post
Ha, that’s kind of interesting. My concept character also came from a library (that’s his level of cleric; figured a god of knowledge’s temple would probably be a library.) I wonder if they’re connected.
Haven't decided that yet. Since we don't know what Earth-adjacent was like before the apocalypse, my original concept was that he was a (human?) librarian in what we would consider a 1980s podunk town before being flung into the future.
Old May 4th, 2021, 09:10 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
dr kekyll
my idea best fits a time period like CT's 1200AD or 2400AD since I figure artificer can always lean more into either magic or technology.

Application - WiP
right-aligned image

Name: Galvinold Heimerdinger
Race: Rock Gnome
Class: Artificer
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Background:
Personality Traits: I get really excited about my ideas and I can't wait to talk about them and start putting them into practice and tinkering with them and I want to tell you about how exciting it all is!
I pepper my speech with the incomprehensible jargon of my trade, like mizzium droplets inserted into a weird-field suspension.
Ideal: Fun. I love my job! Despite the dangerous working conditions, there's nothing I'd rather do. Besides, every experiment has the potential to reveal more secrets of the multiverse!
Bond:
Flaw: I tend to ignore sleep for days when I'm conducting research, often at the expense of my own health and safety.

Personality:
Appearance:

Me and My (Big, Fat) Expectations:

Last edited by dr kekyll; May 6th, 2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old May 4th, 2021, 07:19 PM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
@Touketsu

You pretty much have it summed up well. Ideally, I want you to have some ideas about where your backstory should be headed, but in the end I was us to work together as the game progresses. There will be points where I'll fill in some bits for you, but also some points where I'm going to give you a little bit of free reign. So yes, feel free to consider it a bit in your head, but be open to interpretation. I'm not going to force anything on your character that you don't want. The only more I would ask from you at this point would be to kind of give me a ballpark estimate of what kind of Earth-equivalent era he might've been from. A general idea, no need to pinpoint a specific year~

@DemonSlayer

As of right now, just go with the idea of 'my character knows they dedicated their life to the servitude of something', but avoid naming any specific thing. That said, you can choose whether or not it was from a monotheistic belief, a pantheon (and if so, you can kind of give me an idea of what they were a god of), or some other kind of religion. You actually don't have to have a god at all; your religion could simply be more along the lines of a 'path to understanding'. Either way, like I've said, you have no idea what the life you had involved, you simply know a scant bit about yourself--enough that you act like your character is supposed to act and make decisions like your character always has, thus they should be passionate about the same passions that they've always followed as well, even if the original reasons they are passionate about them have become hazy.

@Sir Moogle

Sure thing, I can see that sort of character if you prefer.

@dr kekyll

Makes perfect sense to me! Either sort of time setting sounds workable.
Old May 5th, 2021, 02:23 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 352
Chevaliers Chevaliers Chevaliers Chevaliers
This sounds very intriguing, I'll get a character up today. My initial idea is for a high elf soldier with vague memories of some sort of Cold War esque situation.