twitter facebook

Notices

Old 01-02-2016, 07:45 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 303
rasatabula rasatabula rasatabula rasatabula
Why would you bother with two pistols or the "Two-Fisted" advantage if all you want to do is attack twice? A single normal pistol can attack up to 3 times per round as it has a rate of fire of 3. Also a speed holster can make drawing the pistol not count as an action at all (just be good enough to a make an Average Agility+Guns/Pistols roll and drawing the gun doesn't count as an action). If all you are wanting is 2 or 3 single shot attack per turn, you don't really need any special advantages to pull that off.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 81
DasBoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasatabula View Post
Why would you bother with two pistols or the "Two-Fisted" advantage if all you want to do is attack twice? A single normal pistol can attack up to 3 times per round as it has a rate of fire of 3. Also a speed holster can make drawing the pistol not count as an action at all (just be good enough to a make an Average Agility+Guns/Pistols roll and drawing the gun doesn't count as an action). If all you are wanting is 2 or 3 single shot attack per turn, you don't really need any special advantages to pull that off.
That was my thinking... and why i scraped the idea of duel wielding. I still love the idea but there really is no benefit/negative over a single pistol.
Prince Darius of Worlds Unending (D20)
Old 01-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
There is a benefit, if you want to fire six shot a turn, as both pistols have a ROF 3.

Attributes: Agility d12+d2
Advantages: Fightin' Type (M), Talented [Gun/Pistols], Two-Fisted (M)
Skills: Guns d6/Pistols d12+d2
Gear: Pistol of Choice x2, Speed Draw Holster x2

Not withstanding other skill step penalties, that equates to 1 free action for random non-attack stuff, drawing both guns for free if needed, and attacking a total of 6 times with a dice pool of Agility (d12+d2) + Guns/Pistols (d8, or d12 if you attack all out) for each shot. That makes this hypothetical guy better at shooting six shots then most characters are at shooting once.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:16 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
DasBoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasatabula View Post
There is a benefit, if you want to fire six shot a turn, as both pistols have a ROF 3.

Attributes: Agility d12+d2
Advantages: Fightin' Type (M), Talented [Gun/Pistols], Two-Fisted (M)
Skills: Guns d6/Pistols d12+d2
Gear: Pistol of Choice x2, Speed Draw Holster x2

Not withstanding other skill step penalties, that equates to 1 free action for random non-attack stuff, drawing both guns for free if needed, and attacking a total of 6 times with a dice pool of Agility (d12+d2) + Guns/Pistols (d8, or d12 if you attack all out) for each shot. That makes this hypothetical guy better at shooting six shots then most characters are at shooting once.
Won't the negatives be extreme though? like -1 for each action after the first. Thats what i originally thought of/wanted.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:40 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1903
Hack Hack Hack Hack Hack Hack Hack Hack Hack Hack Hack
Quote:
That was my thinking... and why i scraped the idea of duel wielding. I still love the idea but there really is no benefit/negative over a single pistol.
If that's what you want to go with I'll find a way to make it work. I'm currently at work so I don't have my books on me, but Rasatabula seems to pretty much mirror my opinion. Yeah the penalties (-6 Steps) are "extreme" but your character is by the Serenity system's standard, not a good or even an amazing, but a legendary shot with a pistol if they have Agility d12+d2 and Pistols d12. Like Rasatabula said, you could shoot your 6 shoots with the same accuracy that the average mook would shoot one. At close range especially you will turn folk into swiss chess, and if someone's far away just lower one of your pistols, squint your eyes and shoot him once or twice with your incredible natural accuracy. I'll give it another look when a get home, but you should be fine dual wielding pistols.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:08 PM
Artist & Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4474
roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt
Howdy all, sorry for being late to pick this up. Holiday weekends are a bit hectic. I'm working on a post right now.

PS - where do I find information on tools? Do I need to bring my own or is it something the ship would have?

Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows.

Last edited by roninkelt; 01-02-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:37 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
DasBoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
If that's what you want to go with I'll find a way to make it work. I'm currently at work so I don't have my books on me, but Rasatabula seems to pretty much mirror my opinion. Yeah the penalties (-6 Steps) are "extreme" but your character is by the Serenity system's standard, not a good or even an amazing, but a legendary shot with a pistol if they have Agility d12+d2 and Pistols d12.
Awesome tweaked the character again, now that i have a better understanding.

If anyone wants to take a looksee and make sure everything is alright
Old 01-03-2016, 12:50 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I would simply suggest, reduce Str to 6, Increase Willpower to 8; drop Easy Mark (M) and pick up Allergy-Latex (M) [for the Lulz], and reduce Nose for Trouble to (m) and add Trustworthy Gut (m). Not having any Survival ranks to go with a Tracking Perception specialty is also a bit odd, but not decidedly so.

If Jay is going to be Int d4 and Easy Mark, I may need to change Mason a bit, otherwise Hack's plan to introduce the two as information sources can't possibly play out right. I mean as is, they are two nigh equally gullible idiots. Crew asks us whats going on and we're liable to get in a stupidity loop.

Vix: So tell me, what have you guys heard.
Mason: Well, I heard there are ga...ga...ghosts in the mines. Foreman told me that is why he had to dock my pay this week, new ghost insurance they got started up.
Jay: That's weird, that girl at the bar just had me set up a bank transfer with a Mr. Nigerian Prince on Ariel to investigate some ancient alien artifacts they found in the mines. Weird.
Mason: You don't think maybe...
Jay: Yep. Alien ghosts.
Mason: Ah...ah...alien ga...ga...ghosts. Man, I knew there had to be a reason those insurance premiums were so high.
Vix: *silent pained stare*

Edit:
Although, you know... take away the combat skills... and we are sort of Fry and Bender.

Last edited by rasatabula; 01-03-2016 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:40 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
DasBoot
Rasatabula: Awesome. Did tiny bit more tweaking.

Your little tale is perfect of how I see James, almost needing the crew to keep him away from the con-artists.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:41 AM
Spectral Cookie Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2954
Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442
Actually Vix would think that is awesome and organize a ghost hunt complete with proton packs. She's nosey and loves a good mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBoot View Post
Does specialty stack with skill? Like d8 from skill guns d4 from specialty pistols?
Nope, hence why the specialties are cheaper
My timezone is AEDT (GMT +10/+11)
Old 01-03-2016, 05:58 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
PS - where do I find information on tools? Do I need to bring my own or is it something the ship would have?
Considering how much money your characters start out with, I'm making your characters pay for things like tools. A toolkit should be the minimum you purchase, though I suggest you look through the "Engineering Supplies" section of the Core Rule Book and also check out the "Six Shoots & Spaceships" supplement for useful extra situational gear for a mechanic.

Quote:
I would simply suggest, reduce Str to 6, Increase Willpower to 8; drop Easy Mark (M) and pick up Allergy-Latex (M) [for the Lulz], and reduce Nose for Trouble to (m) and add Trustworthy Gut (m). Not having any Survival ranks to go with a Tracking Perception specialty is also a bit odd, but not decidedly so.
Admittedly after playing the Serenity Cortex System for a while, if there's one thing I can't stand with it is the "Allergy" complication (especially as a major Complication). I don't veto much and I try to be accommodating with people's visions for their characters as much possible but this once I'm banning a complication.

Quote:
If Jay is going to be Int d4 and Easy Mark, I may need to change Mason a bit, otherwise Hack's plan to introduce the two as information sources can't possibly play out right. I mean as is, they are two nigh equally gullible idiots. Crew asks us whats going on and we're liable to get in a stupidity loop.
I'm a fan of having two nigh equally gullible idiots. As for you both being information sources, just because you ain't the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree doesn't mean that you don't pick up a few useful tidbits of information. Jayne Cobb for example is only Int d4, but that doesn't mean that he's a complete fool and can't offer some unique sights into a situation. The information that you will receive won't be comprehensive either, it's more just clues, foreshadowing and helpful hints. Mason as local for example might know who's dick or what someone thinks of someone else. Jay having once tussled with the Gracetown raiders knows a little about them, like approximate numbers and operating style.

Quote:
Actually Vix would think that is awesome and organize a ghost hunt complete with proton packs. She's nosey and loves a good mystery.
Well, if you were paying attention to Chief Skinner, a Witch Hunt was the best I could do...

I'll give Finrod Ancalímon another day to post before moving on the Game Thread. I know I have few other questions pending but I'll see how I go with them tonight after finishing some more updates.

Last edited by Hack; 01-03-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:59 AM
Tom Cruise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6866
grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman
Old 01-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Okay, Hack, dumb-dumbs it is, but I can't promise that "Bite my sinewy, well-toned ass." won't be gleefully proclaimed at some point.

Edit:
Would that be a valid Ego Signature?

Alliance Investigator: We have witness statements and holo-recordings placing you at over a dozen crime scenes.
Mason: That... umm... doesn't prove anything.
<Multiple Recordings of Mason>: Bite my sinewy, well-toned ass! ... Bite my sinewy, well-toned ass! ... Bite my sinewy, well-toned ass!
Alliance Investigator: Well?
Mason: Uh... *almost child-like giggle*... that could be anyone.
Alliance Investigator: Really? So how would you describe your ass then?
Mason: Sinewy and well-toned... ah, gosh darn it! Somebody call my ma, I'm going to jail.

Last edited by rasatabula; 01-03-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:55 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
No dice Rasatabul, an ego signature is a definative style or something you are compelled to leave behind at a job that can generally get you in trouble. It's definitely more than a catchphase. Examples might include a femme fatale's trademark poison lipstick on all her victims, a bounty taking a certain bodyparts grizzly trophies or a hacker that risks his anonymity by always leaving yellow smiley faces on every terminal he hacks.

Also, no worries Grendierman. I'll make the changes when I get off work.

Last edited by Hack; 01-04-2016 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:41 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Oh, that was only a OOC joke. I'm not seriously intending to roleplay Mason as a Bender parody. I was just goofing. Sorry if it came off as a legit question.