RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: A-D > Age of Worms
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22
tylerthehobo
Intro Thread - Tanic

Tragic Tanic,
The Wizard of Greyhawk
Always sought revenge
against those who caused his loss...

Hi, Tanic. You've got a really thorough backstory, and I like it a lot. Let's customize it to the setting a bit. We'll say that you studied at the Greyhawk School of Wizardry, prior to the death of your family. Maybe you were an up and coming wizard before the tragedy? You lived and studied in the Free City of Greyhawk. After the tragedy, though, you took to the road, in anger and confusion. You've now wandered your way into the village of Diamond Lake, a spot of the world that the gods have abandoned. What a place to crawl away to... While skulking about town you overheard that a "wise man" had recently moved to town - one named Allustan. You immediately recognized the name - while not an archwizard, he is considered to be one of the more talented alumni of the Greyhawk School...

Perhaps he might be able to help you get your life back together...and perhaps more importantly, maybe he can help you find those who caused your tragedy...

Update your bio with something like the above (we can hash out details), and we'll get the story underway.

(Btw, your character looks great!)
Old 06-24-2005, 01:10 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Tanic
To Tanic Brin it seems only yesterday he held Teagin, his chubby, laughing baby boy in his arms. How he had crowed to Halla, his wife, of how professors at the Greyhawk School of Wizardry praised his skills. They called him a prodigy, and one of the most apt apprentices to come through the doors of the august institution in many years. Times were good and they were happy in thier small but comforable appartment in the free city of Greyhawk.

But all that was soon to end. As the day approached for Tanic to attempt his journeyman testing, he found an odd package on his doorstep. He opened the package to discover a note and dagger within. The note said only:

"Come to the lower archives at midnight tonight. Ignore this message at your peril. Tell no one.
~ C.
"
The dagger had an odd blackened blade with a wicked serrated edge and a pommed worked in the form of a demonic face crawling with worms.

Tanic had heard rumors of some dark worm cult recruiting from amongst the students, but everything he had heard led him to believe that this group was not one he wished to join. Greatly disturbed, but not one to give in to intimidation, Tanic did not go to the meeting.

Instead he took the note and the dagger to one of his professors at the school the following day. His teacher had pooh poohed the threat, saying that although there were some grublings of odd cults in the countryside, there was no need to fear. Tanic put the note and the dagger away, thinking no more of the matter.

Tanic studdied late at school that night. Returning home he heard the ring of alarm bells, shouts, and screams as he neared his home. Smellng smoke on the night breeze fear siezed him and he sprinted the last few blocks to find his building and the one next to it in flames.

The city watch and volunteers had not yet arrived. In panic he searched the crowd milling by the blazing buildings for Halla and Teagin, screaming their names. Finally, distraught, he cast a spell of protection and another to help resist the flames and charged into the burning tenement.

He made his way up the narrow stair to find the door to their home broken down. The flames were most intense within. On the floor of their small kitchen lay Halla with her throat cut, her flesh smoldering. Beside her lay a charred bundle that could only be Teagin, his tiny chest transfixed with another demonheaded dagger. In blood on the floor was written the words "Defiance is death! You are next!"

Dropping to his knees, he howled his anguish. His clothing began to smoke as his protective spells faded, but he cared nothing for his own life. As the fire raged he lay down next to his family on the floor, deterimined to die with them. Just then there came a great wrenching groan from the building around him. He looked up in time to see one of the ceiling timbers fall, it struck his upturned face and the world had exploded into fire.

He awoke some days later in the city hosptial. City watch and volunteers had come to douse the blaze soon after he had been struck. Most of his burns had been healed by the goodly clerics, but they could not regenerate the eye that had been lost when the timber crashed down upon him. As soon as he was able Tanic lef tthe hospital, returned to the school, gathered his things, and had taken to the road. He wanted nothing more than to escape Greyhawk and the memories.

But the tradgedy haunts him. Now Tanic re-lives the slaughter of his young wife and newborn son in his nightmares, his only companion is his familiar, a raven he has named Siphas. Wracked by grief and burning for revenge he is a driven man. Left with only one clue to the identitiy of the killers, the odd demon-headed dagger, he scours the countryside seeking revenge.

Though still a young man, his features are aged beyond his years. Worn down by anger and depression, the tall dark-haired mage wears no patch over the scarred empty socket of his left eye. Always moving, Tanic Brin seeks knowledge, always knowledge, building his powers and yearning for the day when he will stand face to face with those who took away all he ever loved.

His roaming has brought him to the vicinity of Diamond Lake. The gods seem to have abandoned this place. While wandering the town Tanic overhears a villager speak of a "wise man", recently moved to town. One named Allustan. Immediately he recognizes the name. While not an archwizard, Allustan could be considered to be one of the more talented alumni of the Greyhawk School.

Thinking that perhaps he might be able to help provide some direction, or more importantly, help find those who were responsible for the deaths of his loved ones, Tanic seeks out Allustan, the rest is yet to be seen...

Last edited by Tanic; 06-24-2005 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:23 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Tanic
Tanic pulled the stiff old black hat down to shade his eye as he looked down the dusty street. Siphas, nestled on the shoulder of his travel-dusted black cloak, ruffled his wings disturbed by the movement. Tanic felt a flash of annoyance from the bird through their empathic link.

The young mage was also annoyed, but for a different reason. Many months he had been on the road, seeking clues to the murders of his wife and son. The trail had led him to Diamond Lake, a town which he was quickly comming to realized the encompassed the sum of all misery within its shabby confines.

Not long after he had strode into town he had been shaken down by local deputies demanding a "travel tarriff" to walk the town unmolested. Seething, but unwilling to make a scene he had grudgingly parted with a few silvers. When the man looked ready to try to squeeze more out of him Tanic had lifted the brim of his hat and given the flunky a hard look, his scarred empty left eye socket clearly visible,

"A wise man takes what he can and leaves a mage to his business," he said.

At that moment Siphas hopped from Tanic's shoulder to the tip of his staff. The flurry of sable wings flustered the man.

Tanic escaped the encounter without any further loss of funds, but he had made an enemy for certain. Now as he watched the sweat and dirt stained miners making their way to their homes as the sun sank below the rim of the valley, he realized that he must find lodging before he found himself stuck on the street at night.

Uncertain how to proceed, he made his down the darkening street. A few blocks away he could see a large Inn-like building to which it seemed much of the traffic in the street gravitated. He followed.

The interior of The Emporium was loud, crowded and smokey. After some haggling with the innkeep he paid a half-dozen silvers for a closet of a room. It wasn't much, but it had a bed, and the door had a good solid bar.

After inspecting the room he made his way down to the common area. He found a corner and watched the montebank Chezabet do her pathetic show as he nursed a tankard of watered wine. Many who looked closely at his scarred visage turned away quicly, making a sign to ward off evil.

Listening over the course of the evening he heard many rumors and tales. Only one sparked his interest. A "wise man" had recently moved into the area. That in itself would not have been worthy of note, but the name bandied about was one known to him.

Having had enough for one night of the menagerie in the common room, Tanic made his way to his room, resolved to seek out Allustan after a good sleep.

Last edited by Tanic; 06-24-2005 at 02:52 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
tylerthehobo
In the morning, when you rise, you make your way downstairs to the common room. There are many there who are just wrapping up their evenings, over a breakfast of ostrich eggs and foul smelling bacon. You get yourself a meal (of a sorts) and get into it with as much enthusiasm as possible.

While you are eating, a half-orc approaches you. "'ere you, spellslinger. This town doesn't need any more of your like...we've got us a wizard. Are you here to challenge Allustan? I twoouldn't if I were you... It's not bad enough that he's the baddest mage who ever walked our streets, but he's also the brother of the governor." The orc looks over his shoulder and leans in, whispering in his bacony-breath, "And I'm not sure which one of 'em what scares me more..."

(I assume that you ask where Allustan can be found? If so...)

The half-orc laughs. "So you do mean to challenge him? Gooood luck! You'll find his tower just up The Vein a..." He sees you look quizzically at him when he mentions 'The Vein', "er...the main street, squire...It's one of the only houses with windows and without crap on it."

After breakfast, you surreptitiously head up the street and do indeed see a large, freshly painted, yellow house which rises a story or two higher than all others on the block - it's tough to tell in the hazy fog of the morning...

What do you do?
Old 06-25-2005, 01:36 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Tanic
At first I was eager to find Allustan, considering it was a name that I knew amidst so much that is unsure, but the orc's words have given me reason for pause.

I walk past the house, slowly. Not so slow as to attract attention, but I do not stop. I seruptiously check the place out as I pass. About half a block past the house I begin looking for a decent (and inconspicuous) place to sit and watch the place. I am interested to see who comes and goes. I pull off my pack, get out my notebook, a stick of charcoal, and begin sketching passersby to pass the time as I keep my eye on the place.

Last edited by Tanic; 06-25-2005 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:16 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
tylerthehobo
spot check

Roll a spot check, Tanic. (to do so, roll 1d20+ your spot skill)
Old 06-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Tanic
Spot Check:
Dice Roll:
(as this is an older post, these rolls are interpreted by the older (more basic) dice roller code)
d20+1: (8) + 1 Total = 9
Old 06-26-2005, 01:29 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
tylerthehobo
You notice a woman talking to an officer, nearby, but otherwise nothing else raises your notice. The house remains quiet.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Tanic
(OOC: It occured to me that I did not indicate which spells I had memorized for the day: I have memorized Mage Armor and Summon Monster 1.)

I put away my notebook. Sitting here all day isn't going to accomplish anything. With a glance at the two poeple speaking nearby, I decide to throw caution to the winds. I cast Mage Armor, just in case things get ugly. Pulling a small wooden replica of an archery target from my reagents pouch I focus on it while speaking the words and making the gestures required for the spell. A faint glow surrounds me for a moment on completion of the spell, then fades.

(OOC: Concentration check if required
Dice Roll:
(as this is an older post, these rolls are interpreted by the older (more basic) dice roller code)
d20+6: (5) + 6 Total = 11

Pushing my hat down more tightly stride purposefully up to the house of Allustan the Mad. I make my way to the door and knock heavily. If there is a knocker I use it.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
tylerthehobo
There is a knocker upon the door, and you rap rather loudly with it. After about thirty seconds, during which you hear muffled boots walking down a staircase and some grumbling, the door creaks open. A fairly short bearded man looks up at you. "Skinny fella, aren't you?" he asks, more to himself than to you. With a grunt, he says, "Well, good morning, then. How can Allustan the wise be of service to you?"
Old 06-26-2005, 09:16 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Tanic
"Hmm, and you're shorter than I expected..." I cough, "Pardon the intrusion master Allustan, did I say that out loud?" I pull off my hatr and hold it before me.

"My appologies, I am a traveling mage, new to the area. I heard tell of your great wisdom and bethought me to seek you out. I am but lately of the Greyhawk School of Wizardry where your name is not unknown.

"It seemed to me that you might be able to direct a young mage new to the area to some likely employment. Which is to say my purse is getting a bit lighter than I would like, and I thought perhaps you might have work for an enterprising fellow of talent."

Last edited by Tanic; 06-26-2005 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
tylerthehobo
Allustan looks you in the eyes. "Excuse me?!? You dare come to my tower, knock upon the door at only 8 bells, and then call me short? And then ask for work?!?"

(Roll a diplomacy check, Tanic - your roll will help determine whether or not he thinks you charming and bold, or as a potential victim for his fireballs... )
Old 06-27-2005, 03:58 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Tanic
[OOC: Here is to hoping I make him laugh (my initial intent).]

Dice Roll:
d20: 18
Old 06-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Tanic
[OOC: Whew... *wipes the sweat from his brow*. I was kindof banking on the idea that if everyone in the area is afraid of him, then someone who did not instantly act the fearful toady might be seen as endearing... I mean if everyone bow's and scraps and runs in fear, it could get old after a while. He might appreciate someone who is has the balls to crack a joke. Also, as a man who feels he has very little left to lose in life, Tanic doesn't really feel much fear any longer.]

Last edited by Tanic; 06-27-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:31 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
tylerthehobo
Join the main thread, Tanic. You done good.