Game Thread Chapter V - To Kill a Witch - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > Previous Inductees > 2019 > Priestess > Sanctaid
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-17-2020, 10:47 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11057
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Chapter V - To Kill a Witch

Chapter V
Putrus
right-aligned image
The heroes had returned to the hermit's hut with the petals of the glowing flower to find a pair of lizardfolk out on the kenku's front porch. After a tense moment, all involved realized they were present with common purpose, to see the witch dead, to end the rule of Lady Evil. Putrus was no fine host but he did take the flower petals and toss them into a vat of boiling water.

"Rest here this night. On the morrow, you shall depart on your divinely ordained quest to see Lady Evil's wicked ways finally put to rest. The key to defeating her is to destroy her coven before confronting her. Two sisters she has. One she keeps close at her side while the other she has cast out. You have already met Mave Blackwood, the Black Banshee, Queen of the Wisps. To defeat her will be no small task as her wisps will defend her viciously. She knows she must die for her sister to be defeated, she welcomes the thought of an end to her eternal torment but she will not allow herself to be defeated so strong is her ties to this world."

Billowing clouds of steam poured out of the cauldron and all found themselves utterly transfixed by the hermit's words.

"The second sister is Hazel Blackwood. When I say she is kept close, I am not being coy. The witch wears what remains of her sister around her neck, a macabre necklace of bones, fingers, toes and eyeballs. Once Mave is defeated you will have to venture into the heart of the Bleak Morass. You will know when you have left the lands of the Scalehides and entered Her domain when the sun is blotted out from the sky and the thunder cracks will be a weapon against you. If you dare to sleep in her world, your dreams will haunt your waking hours. The very plant life will try to stop you both violently and through trickery. Lost you will become until your food packs are empty and your water skins run dry. So thirsty you will become that even the putrid waters of her land will seem like sweet honey to your lips but to drink those waters would mean certain death. The closer you come to her cottage, everything around you will turn against you, even your own shadows will seek your death. I can provide you with subtle boons against some of these evils but they will only help you so far."

"Rest...rest...sleep...sleep and dream."

With the steam filling the entire glade, you all pass into a deep slumber at the hermit Putrus' abode.

Zyl
right-aligned image
Zyl found himself shrouded in mists. Mists so thick that he could barely see his own hands in front of his face. A strange yet oddly familiar odor surrounded him, spices and dirt and burnt wood and blood. The scent of blood became overwhelming. He shuffled his feet under him and heard a sound not unlike stepping in a mud puddle but upon looking down found that he was standing in blood. It was flowing in a thin stream along a ground that appeared like stone but felt like soft ground. Then a light began to diffuse the fog and as it thinned, he saw a brilliant light that had it not been for the mists he was certain would have burned his eyes away in their sockets. Slowly, a massive form began to take shape. A marble structure emerged from the gloom bathed in the radiant light. Its marble columns reaching up hundreds of feet while stairs the size of cliffs led upward toward the light. Standing atop the platform was a being that Zyl had never seen but instantly knew. It was his patron. He stood atop the stairs, hands on a column to each side meaning that this being had to be nearly a thousand feet tall. Zyl's mind attempted to process what he was seeing and the answer it gave him was that though this scene filled his vision, it must be miles away from him like a mountain range on the horizon.

Six massive white wings spread out from the being to either side, each spanning a thousand feet themselves, the uppermost wings helping to shield Zyl from the blazing light that emanated from the creature. Hair as white and pure as freshly fallen snow fell down to the being's chest where red sashes hung over each shoulder. A belt made of solid gold held up a robe of dark red. Running in rivers off of this robe were seas of blood, pouring in torrents down the stairs to fall away into the mists below.

It opened its mouth and the sound of a million waterfalls poured forth causing Zyl to clasp his hands over his ears. Not a word could be heard but he knew what had been said.

"I am the world that hides the universal secret of all time
Destruction of the empty spaces is my one and only crime.
I've lived a thousand times
I found out what it means to be believed
The thoughts and images
The unborn child who never was conceived"

right-aligned image
right-aligned image
Zyl's senses faded away as the pain washed over him. When he could open his eyes again he found himself staring up at one of the most beautiful faces he had ever seen in his entire life. As he gawked at the feminine form before him, recognition began to dawn on him. Moonbeam!

He didn't need to speak as she read his face and spoke in a voice as soft as dew dripping off a flower petal, "His return is imminent. You feel your power grow as his shrine is cleansed and he encompasses the world again, do you not? To hear his voice as a mortal is a great honor but there is more he would wish you to know and much yet to be done.

The witch, Lillian Blackwood as she was known as many years ago was once a Guardian of this land. There is a prison, known as Hilmora's tomb. She was an ancient servant of our Lord's who was imprisoned by the elves of this land for they deemed her wicked and vile as so many creatures can be deemed. A wolf who kills chickens is not evil, nor is a child who squashes a bug. Hilmora...well, she may have been evil but such was the way of God. Many creatures under his purview were and still are...complicated. Free her and she will wake the others. They will be needed to end the threat on this world. Steel your resolve for this task for it will be difficult to see through, both in gaining access to her cell and in making the decision to do it."

Her words spoken, Moonbeam leaned over and placed a soft kiss onto Zyl's lips. "Awaken champion."

Zyl awoke, still in Putrus' cottage with the words of both a god and Moonbeam fresh in his mind. Glancing over, he saw his sprite familiar, curled up in a saucer soundly sleeping.

Ava
right-aligned image
Wind was caressing Ava's face before she opened her eyes to find herself gliding over a verdant forest. One that she knew dearly. In the distance, a silver spire rose toward the warm embrace of the sun and glittered like a thousand stars in the light. It was Aleth Caelora, her home. As the spire grew closer, she could begin to make out pieces of civilization poking out through the forest canopy. Houses built around trees and orchards spaced out just so so that narrow fields could be planted between the fruit trees. The wings on her back spread out wide as she alighted on the platform at the top of the spire, The Solar Apex, it was called.

Confusion began to set in as a clash of memories flooded her mind. She had been chosen by the goddess to assist in helping a chosen few complete a very important quest and there had been little beyond that since. But now new memories...or rather old memories were sweeping through the chambers of her mind. She had not always had wings. She had once been...elven, a citizen of Aleth Caelora. With recognition returned the Solar Apex took on all new meaning. She had died here.

Imagines sprung to life before her. Climbing the stairs tailed by a battalion of elvish shield maidens, they had come here to confront the two remaining Guardians, Lillian and Hazel Blackwood. By all accounts, Mave had been transformed into some wretched being. For millennia, they had guarded the Vale and kept the things that were locked up secure and the things that wished to enter, banished. But a foul disease had crept into the Vale and after tireless investigations, all signs pointed to the Guardians as the source.

It was Lillian who spoke first upon the accusations. She was the paragon of what it meant to be Aleth Caelora, to be elf. Her blonde hair, the color of buttercups in a field and her alabaster skin surrounding eyes as green as spring leaves filled out an appearance only complimented by her combined rigidity of frame with her grace of movement. Her sisters were of no small shakes either, until Mave had been turned into a banshee. Jealousy had consumed Lillian and she had cursed her sister. The mystery had always been by what power had Lillian come by this ability to do so. Hilmore, the Deathlady, an elder wyrm sealed in a prison of magic and stone guarded by the sisters three had been the answer.

Hazel had seemed frightened by the accusations but Lillian remained confident and bade for her sister's willing help. Hazel agreed and Lillian reached out a hand toward her. Hazel began to scream in agony as her body was ripped and torn by the forces eschewing from Lillian's hand. A horrid necklace about Lillian's neck was all that was left of Hazel when the spell was over. You and your fellow shield maidens attacked Lillian but weapons passed right through her and spells bounced off. A necrotic blast exploded from Lillian and you watched as your soldiers withered away into desiccated corpses. You collapsed to the ground, nearly dead as the witch approached you.

Her voice had once sounded like silver bells jingling on a child's toy but now it was twisted, warped and raspy, her posture stooped and broken. The price to use such dark magics. "Avallyonyeth of House Starshine...I banish you from this world."

With the witch's words, a tugging began at you but it was not upon your body but felt like it was pulling at a far more intimate place, your soul. The world began to fade like losing consciousness but you were completely awake. As your vision began to return or when you thought the sensation had passed, you found yourself in a grey waste. The ground was flat and cracked and stretched out for as far as your eyes could see. There was no noted elevation nor plants or trees of any kind anywhere. Just the dry grey ground and an endless grey sky and went on for eternity.

Waking with a start, you find yourself still in Putrus' cottage, safely with your new friends but with a greater understanding of your past and your purpose. Lady Evil as she was now known...Lillian Blackwood to you, had destroyed your life, had destroyed your people, had destroyed your world. You had been brought back to right that wrong and put an end to the misery she continues to inflict.

Nerin
right-aligned image
Stars filled Nerin's view not unlike being back in her childhood mountain home, looking out over the cliffs up into the endless night. But there was nothing under her but more stars, more of the night. There was no sound, no feeling, no wind on her skin, only her heart beat thumping in her temples. The vastness of what she observed began to give her an odd sensation of agoraphobia. It was if the eternity of space she was floating in was causing her sense of self to shrink in upon itself until there would be nothing left of her. It was then that a familiar warmth flooded into her being and helped to stabilize her. It was the same feeling that would flow through her when she would channel Evelyn's magic. Then a voice from everywhere, for it came from no particular direction, spoke to her. "I have never felt 'right' about using my people to fulfill our aims in the world but there is little recourse for it. We provide you with what we can to ease the burden we have placed upon you but even such indirect offerings are difficult. There is a vastness to my reality that your mind cannot hope to comprehend. If I had opened you up to it fully, you would have completely lost your sense of self. Floating within this vast tapestry of light and dark, is your world, your home. Your sun is but a pin prick of light in a sea of stars, a grain of sand in a beach that stretches on forever. But your world is my world. It has become my anchor in this infinite abyss. You are my reason to persevere, my tether to consciousness. So easy it would be to simply let go and drift among the stars as so many others have. I am not alone, I am a pair, a sibling, a mate. We have fostered your world since we saved it from the chaos that seeks to undo all of creation, one spark of life at a time. That which was not created despises all that has been. My love for you has evolved through the eons. I have taken many names as you have needed me to change. You know me as Evelyn and I can be that for you for as long as you need me to be. Though, my temple has fallen and my devotees have been scattered, I am still here. Your eventual return to Kersdinas will usher in a new age and your return must put an end to the evil that pervades Brenninpalis. The King's chamber has been occupied by many races. Human, elves, orcs and many before have sat upon the throne above the circular pool. It is within that pool that you must traverse. It is not just water but a doorway, a doorway to the realm of the unborn child that never was conceived. It is this force that seeks to end all. The force we resist against. Do not let another sit upon that throne until the threat through the pool has been destroyed."

right-aligned image
The vastness of space begins to dim into darkness until Nerin finds herself at Sanctaid once again. Sitting at the altar is a pale woman with dark hair. She wears armor and carries a sword, a grievous wound pierces her chest. Nerin instantly knows that this is Evelyn, a woman, a goddess, both. She motions with a hand for Nerin to join her at the altar. "Mortals have many divine qualities. But there has never been another unparalleled divine quality like self-sacrifice, nor can there ever be." There are so many questions Nerin would ask, so many things she would say but the scene before her fades to dark and back to grey as her eyes flutter open, awake in the cottage of the hermit Putrus.

Zaresh
right-aligned image
Death. All he saw around himself was the dried up and hollow plants that once made up his home. The waters of the marsh had all receded and the land was bone dry. Dried up frogs, alligator skeletons and the ash of long gone fires filled his eyesight. Then he spotted four tall trees, their leafless branches still reaching up to the heavens. Their bark was black and peeling from flames that had ripped through Mocsa Haza and destroyed his home and his people.

This was his world without the witch, his world without the Guardian but was it a vision of what could have been or a vision of what would be? He had been tasked with destroying the witch but would this quest also see the destruction of his home or would it prevent this destitution? Was some choice before him that would lead to this eventuality if chosen incorrectly?

Of the five who slept at Putrus' cottage, Zaresh woke troubled.

Burke
right-aligned image
An elven woman's face consumed his sight. She was gorgeous and she whispered his own desires into his ears; a swamp free of enemies of the Misty Feet, food so plentiful one could hunt from the outskirts of the village, children ran care-free through the marsh. As he dwelt on the sights of his prosperous people, he suddenly felt his body held tightly, unable to move. Looking down at himself, he was wrapped in vines that pulsated with a sickly green light. They drained the vitality from his body and left him feeling like a husk of himself. As the last vestiges of his soul left his body, he turned to see what was left of himself. He looked back but not at himself, remembering the story told by Iqorzes, he knew he looked upon what remained of Drathoxl, the great lizardfolk warrior. He was a shade of himself but no less dangerous. Kept in a sort of undeath all these years by the witches foul magics. Burke knew that he would have to face Drathoxl and that he would have to release the lizardfolk hero from his eternal curse.

The Manticore's Return As all woke, they found they each had an oddly thoughtful look upon their face...in addition to a frustration at knowing the hermit had drugged them with his concoction the night before. Putrus was standing outside his cottage and gave a quick squawk before chastising everyone for sleeping so long...and for bringing trouble to his doorstep.

"Enemies you have brought here. It would seem there are those who chase you from the mountains."

Out in the swamp in front of the kenku's hut you could see two ogres crashing and stomping through the undergrowth and behind them towered a large grey skinned man. Nerin and Zyl knew they were facing a stone giant as they had fought one before. Black goblin arrows flew toward the group from the brush, hopefully it wasn't those they had allowed to live. And circling overhead and roaring of her imminent victory was the manticore known as The Huntress.

With a shrug, Putrus said, "I will help you in this battle but then I shall not see any of you again." Whether the hermit's statement was a plea, a bargain or a threat was unknown but his help would be needed against such foes.

oocLet's start this chapter out with a nasty battle! Anyone rolling a 12 or higher for initiative, may go first!
I forgot to add Lew to the map, he'll be on the next iteration.

On vacation 7/4-7/12.

Last edited by tomplum; 03-25-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:59 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1369
gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a
Zylstaer Cramorn
right-aligned image

Zyl is still in the process of recovering from his dream when the attack begins. So much to think about, to process. Still, it brings clarity to the task I was previously assigned.

Zyl makes a quick mental suggestion to Moonbeam that she remain invisible for the time being. He then surveys the battlefield for a moment.

Lots of incredibly dangerous creatures. Goblins, ogres, a stone giant, and the manticore! I'll aim for a goblin. The fewer enemies, the better...

Zyl, recalling his vision of his patron, Eldritch Blast, 25 to hitunleashes a powerful blast of energy towards Goblin 3, 8 force damagekilling it instantly.

OOC

Last edited by gjf2a; 03-25-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:57 AM
Man of Many Faces

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1360
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star
Barbarian 4 l AC 18 l HP 64/59 l Rage 2/3 l Rounds 10/10
right-aligned image
The dream had greatly disturbed Zaresh, there was only death, and it was not his doing, and it was not his enemies that were slain. No it was his home that was destroyed, what was it trying to tell him. Was it a sign from the gods? A warning? Was what he was told to do the right thing? There were so many questions and little answers.

The images stuck in his head as he woke up from his sleep, it seemed the others dreamed as well, but were not having one like his. He stayed up, not wanting to see those images again and not finding any liquor to drown it out.

In the morning they were met by creatures that seemed to have been following the group before he had met them.

"So you brought more friends with you, they don't seem like they're friendly." He said as he grabbed one of his javelins and went out to meet their enemies. Zaresh was always willing to fight as he rushed ahead of the group.

"Take out the little ones! I'll draw the big ones to me! My ancestors here me, I shed blood in your honour today! Bless me with the power of the storm!" He shouted and roared as he turned into a rage, lightning beginning to arc around him. His eyes lit up with the same arcing lighting, with his might he threw the javelin at the ogre in front of him. The gods were with him as the javelin pierced the ogre. He then prepared another and waited to see what the others would do.

MechanicsMove: To C9
Action: Attack Ogre 2 with javelin, disadvantage, 21 hit (could have been a crit!), 10 P Damage.
Bonus Action: Rage!
Interaction: Draw another Javelin
Reaction:

Last edited by The Dark Star; 03-25-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:25 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2244
Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz
Burke
left-aligned image
"Love, huh?" Burke says to himself as he reminisces the vision that he had of the once great hero to the lizardfolk a remainder that lady evil was no ordinary foe that they all should beware of her trickery. It makes him wonder if it is possible to free him from his curse but he was sure that he was gonna do everything in his power to do it.

"I'll follow you Zaresh" says Burke following behind the warrior he hopes that starting off his adventure with a battle is not an ill omen but it would give him a chance to test his new Companions

"Let's show them the pride of the Misty feet!!!" taking the front Burke takes a defensive stance preparing himself for the upcoming blows with his enemies even though he also wants to make sure what are the Outsiders capable of.

OOC
Burke Otis

Last edited by Boltz; 03-27-2020 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10462
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
Nerin Lindiar
right-aligned image
The night in the hermit's hut passed in a series of incredibly vivid dreams. Not dreams, Nerin told herself. Visitations. Whatever the being she had been taught to revere as Evelyn, the Martyr actually was, there was no doubt that she was real and very much present in Nerin's life, and in the world. When she woke, she felt surprisingly rested for one who had not really had any actual sleep.

And that was a blessing, for Nerin and her friends awoke to a fight. "Not even time for breakfast," she grumbled to nobody in particular. Fortunately, she had dressed and packed thoroughly before emerging into the hut, so at least the enemies didn't find her in her shift. Unfortunately, she had little time to do more than grab her staff and watch as the enemies approached from two sides.

OOC

Last edited by Berith; 03-27-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:27 PM
Roma Invicta

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2570
Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382
Dark Dreams, Memories Awoken
right-aligned image
"Avallyonyeth of House Starshine..."

As Ava shuddered awake, a silent scream on her lips, she couldn't help but feel deep pangs of sadness. I was an elf. I was not born this way, but was of a house. House Starshine. I have no memories of that place. The soldiers... their weapons had no effect and her devastating energy slaughtered them effortlessly. She remembered watching her lifeblood pour out, but she felt no pain. As the witch approached, something was pulling on her, and in a flash she was in another place. Was that the experience of dying?

"Avallyonyeth of House Starshine..." The witch knew who she was. She knew where she was from. A righteous anger began welling up inside Ava as she thought of the corruption that desecrated her people. That anger led to the first feelings of spite that Ava could remember having. The desire for vengeance. She felt tears of anger begin to wet her eyes. As she fought to control her emotions, she heard Putrus mention the foes outdoors. Agents of the witch? Or foul beings who would comply with her will? So be it.

Ava stood and walked outside with her companions. Her stomach turned at the many foes, but she stood her ground. She watched as Zyl slew one of the opposing archers and watched as the two newcomers charged headlong into the fray. Content to stay back this far, Ava concentrated her energy and stepping forward within range, Ava summoned a spectral hand, wielding an elven arming sword with pointed grace. The blade was pointed at the ogre focusing on Zaresh. It swung low and bit into the monster's leg, not doing much more than angering it, but it was a start. As she focused on her new spell, she ducked an arrow from a goblin. Raising her hand and blasting forth a ray of concentrated cold energy, Ava was disappointed to see her aim was off the mark. Regardless, it forced the goblin to seek shelter back behind the tree. Taking the opportunity, Ava retreated back behind her companions, back to her original position.

OOC

Last edited by Tommyk382; 03-30-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:26 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
The Manticore's Return
right-aligned image
Most were still grappling with the strange visions and dreams brought on by Putrus' psychedelic steam when they were confronted by the manticore's return and as Nerin so aptly put it, not even time for breakfast. These were no lollygaggers, though, and each was prepared in an instant for battle.

Zyl surveyed the scene and decided it best to remove an easily killed target and did just that when he sent a blast of eldritch energy slamming into a goblin sending it somersaulting backwards through the air.

Zaresh stepped forward and urged his new companions to 'take out the little ones' while he drew the big ones to himself. The lizardfolk barbarian was made of stern stuff and was brave to boot but would he take on more than he could chew? A javelin left his arm and even at extreme range, found its mark in an ogre's side causing the brute to scream in rage.

Burke moved forward with his Misty Feet 'brother' and readied his longsword for the ogres' charge and Lew took up a stance on the other side of Zaresh, a line of steel and resolution in the face of adversity.

Ava, from the safety behind her stalwart defenders, sent an errant ray of frost at a goblin and followed it up by summoning an elven blade to cut into the same ogre that Zaresh had pierced with his javelin. The beast was enraged at its injuries and its eyes focused on the line of heroes who dared to challenge it. Charging forward, the ogre moved for Zaresh, javelin thrower, who was in the center of the line. Burke stabbed forward with his sword but the blade deflected off the beast's sweaty hide. With a bestial roar, it brought its great club down upon Zaresh but the lizardfolk raised his shield to stop the blow. A great clang sounded out across the battlefield. The other ogre moved to join its kin in assaulting the defenders and targeted Burke but again shield met club and Burke was unharmed.

The goblins still alive, moved into positions to harry the back line casters. Having seen Zyl down one of their compatriots with his magic, two of the goblins targeted the half-elf while the other moved forward to send an arrow at Ava. The arrow found its way past Nerin and sunk into Ava shoulder sending a shock of pain through the aasimar's body. Zyl watched one sail over his head before a second plunked into his stomach. With their arrows fired, the goblins ducked back behind trees to conceal their presence.

The manticore flew closer overhead and sent three tail spikes toward Lew. One sunk six inches into the mud beside Zaresh while the other two sunk into Lew. One grazed his shoulder while the other lodged itself into his calf.

Then the stone giant stepped forward, easily crossing the marshy ground with a rock in its hand. Bringing its arm back it shot forward, releasing the rock toward the hermit, Putrus. The birdman could do little but hunch his shoulder and take the blow. It was surprising that when the dust cleared from the impact, the kenku was still standing. A fire burned in his eyes as his gaze burned into the giant. "You have lost your way! Your people have been turned from gentle artists to hired killers! The witch's influence has traveled far but that will all end soon." Putrus raised his arms and intoned on the insects of the swamp to rise up and defend him. From behind the ogres and encompassing the giant as well bugs of all sort swarmed up upon an ogre and the giant. The ground was writhing with insects that bit and stung those who dared to enter the hermit's glade.

The ogre was wholly consumed by the bugs and swatted at its hide trying to dislodge the creatures but the giant paid them little mind as it continued its march across the marsh.

On vacation 7/4-7/12.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:18 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Zylstaer Cramorn
right-aligned image

Smarting from the arrow strike, Zyl observes that the injury is minimal and tosses the arrow aside. Clearing his mind, he envisions striking down the goblin who let loose the arrow. From his vision, a Eldritch blast, 16 to hitbolt of energy surges towards that goblin, striking it 8 force damagedead on the spot.

OOC

Old 03-31-2020, 11:55 AM
Roma Invicta

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2570
Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382
The Huntress
right-aligned image
Ava watched as the battle sprung to life all around her. Like a wedge, the 3 melee warriors charged valiantly into the heart of the foes. As they ran forth, Ava could only see her elven companions running forward to fight Lillian. For a moment, she didn't think of their foes, but was consumed with thoughts of the Witch. In her vision she attempted to lunge forward to attack, but missed. Consequently, her floating elven blade launched at the back of the same ogre, but swung wide.

A sudden sharp pain ripped her back to the present. An arrow was lodged into her shoulder. It hurt, but she knew it was merely a flesh wound. Shaking her head and refocusing herself, she decided her best course of action would be to support her allies.

Saying a short prayer, she raised one hand to the heavens. As her prayer ended she lowered her hand and in it was a mouthful of holy water. Raising it to her mouth and blowing softly, the cool water jettisoned across the battlefield, providing some small relief and focus to Zyl, Nerin, Burke, and Zaresh.

Realizing that she was a likely target for more arrows, Ava ran to the center of four nearby bushes, and laid down, hoping to get cover from the arrows and maintain her magic spell.

OOC

Last edited by Tommyk382; 03-31-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:21 PM
Man of Many Faces

Tools
User Statistics
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star
Barbarian 4 l AC 18 l HP 64/59 l Rage 2/3 l Rounds 10/10
right-aligned image
Zaresh roared in joy as the creatures came at him and his close combat companions, they each took some hits, but the lizardfolk was able to block the blow that came at him from the ogre.

"Keep it up, these ogres won't last long if we work together!" He shouted as he dropped his javelin and drew his axe as the fight had come to him, he swung his weapon with a wide arc that struck true to the leg of the ogre closest to him. He felt the axe dig right into the skin of it, he could tell by the look of it's eyes that it felt that pain and he smiled a toothy smile.

The storm that grew around him began to arc lightning back and forth, Zaresh pointing to the ogre he had just hit.

"Feel the wrath of my storm!" He said as the lighting arced and struck at the ogre.

MechanicsMove:
Action: Reckless attack Ogre right in front of me with Battle Axe, 24 to hit, 12 damage
Bonus Action: Lighting Strike Dex Save DC14, full on fail, half on success, 1 damage
Interaction: Drop Javelin and Draw Battle Axe
Reaction:
Old 03-31-2020, 09:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10462
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
Nerin Lindiar
right-aligned image
"Keep on the goblins!" Nerin shouted needlessly. Finally getting hold of her wits, the priestess focused her magic and whipped a lash of WIS save DC 14 or 4 damage necrotic energy at the ogre embroiled with Sir Lew. On another plane of existence, a bell tolled, signaling the imminent death of her target. Nerin's eldritch senses heard it ring, and she smiled grimly.

A second flick of magic caused an ephemeral-looking arm to appear over Nerin's right shoulder. It glowed with a soft, green nimbus, evidence of its summoner's connection to the natural world. The arm gripped a stout cudgel, not dissimilar to the one in the caster's own hand. Now she was ready. It was time to join the fray.

OOC

Last edited by Berith; 03-31-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2244
Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz Boltz
Burke
left-aligned image
loud ringing noises could be heard around the field as the lizardfolk took the frontline to stop the enemy in its tracks making an effective impenetrable line even he sturdily stopped the ogre's blow he could still feel his whole body shake from such a mighty but determined to not show any weaknesses he retaliates this time striking truthfully through the ogre's tough skin.

"Yes Zaresh!!! We won't let them get past us!!!"

OOC
Burke Otis

Last edited by Boltz; 04-02-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:51 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
The Manticore's Return
right-aligned image
Lew, despite the manticore spike in his leg, drove forward with his sword shining in the sunlight, opening two fresh gashes in the ogre's belly. The ogre took a retaliatory swing back at the paladin but Lew's shield caught the blow.

In response to being hit with an arrow, Zyl sent an eldritch blast right back at the offending goblin. The force of the spell sent the green-skin ten feet from his hiding spot into the muck of the swamp, very dead.

Ava commanded her spiritual elven sword to swipe again but it deflected off the ogre's tough hide. The sorcerer then raised her hands to the heavens and prayed for blessings upon her Zyl, Nerin, Zaresh & Burkeallies. She then darted farther away from the battle and hid among some dying foliage, pressing her body to the ground. She would be little help to anyone filled with arrows like a pin cushion.

Having fended off one attack from the ogre, Zaresh pressed his advantage and swung his axe in a wide and low arc that found the ogre's leg and sent blood splattering across the marsh.

Nerin implored her allies to keep on the goblins. While not imposing on their own, their arrows could cause severe damage if left unchallenged. She then cast a spell at one of the ogres, foretelling its own doom with the ringing of bells. The brute shook off the effects. It was not ready to die just yet.

Spurred on by he and his brethren's stand against the ogres, Burke drove his sword into the ogre before him. The brutes were not going to break their line. As the lizardfolk struck, the insects that were swarming over the ogre began to clamber inside of the opened wound. Burke watched in amazement as the bugs began devouring the ogre from the inside. It fell to the ground, writhing in agony before twitching its last...dead. As the ogre fell, the manticore roared in fury and bellowed, "Kill the druid! I will destroy the rest!" She then sent three more tail spikes toward Lew which all thudded into the muck without harming anyone.

The giant's gaze fixed upon the birdman and it bolted through the muddy ground, dangerously close to Zyl and Nerin to confront Putrus. The kenku, in response grew larger and his feathers turned to fur as he transformed into a brown bear. Even in this new larger form, he was dwarfed by the stone giant. He roared a challenge to the giant, Putrus was not going to abandon the fight and leave the heroes to fend for themselves. Perhaps the hermit had found a bit of humanity.

One of the goblins that had shot at Zyl previously and watched its comrade get blasted to oblivion for its trouble must have had second thoughts because its next arrow missed the half-elf by a considerable margin.

The other goblin, with Ava disappearing into the brush, moved its aim onto Nerin and sent an arrow that pierced the priestess' armor.

oocNot a good round for the bad guys. Good guys are up!

On vacation 7/4-7/12.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:45 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Zylstaer Cramorn
right-aligned image

Zyl feels overwhelmingly intimidated by the stone giant, but the creature seems to be ignoring him much to his relief. As Putrus transforms into a brown bear to confront it, painful memories of the death match between his old ally Berengar and the last stone giant he encountered flood into his mind.

He sheds a tear as he recalls the werebear who had treated him so compassionately. But he refocuses on the task at hand. Two of the goblins are dead. That one just hit Nerin with an arrow! It is time for it to go.

Envisioning in his mind the death of that goblin, he allows magical energy from his patron to Eldritch blast vs Goblin 4, 19 to hitflow through him to strike it down. The bolt of energy strikes the goblin in its heart, 12 force damagekilling it instantly.

He glances back up at the stone giant in fear, starting to think about what he might do to assist Putrus in his fight once the goblins are gone. Nothing I can do is enabled by being close to it. Let me get out of its way. With that thought, Zyl Move to -A12relocates to a nearby area covered in vegetation.

OOC

Last edited by gjf2a; 04-03-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:26 AM
Man of Many Faces

Tools
User Statistics
Barbarian 4 l AC 18 l HP 64/59 l Rage 2/3 l Rounds 9/10
right-aligned image
Zaresh easily dodges the clumsy ogres strike, as this is happening the ogre he was engaged with fell to the floor, being eaten alive by insects summoned by the druid. He would enjoy eating the bugs later, but now was not the time.

With the blood flowing from their enemies his mouth began to water, he hadn't had breakfast and he was becoming hungry. He rushed to the other ogre, he struck with his axe, opening a large, soft, meaty opening, he couldn't help himself and took a large bite out of the wound, tearing flesh from the ogre's body. He chewed its meat and swallowed it.

"Tasty Ogre, want, more!" He shouted, his mouth mixed with drool and blood.

MechanicsMove: Move to D9
Action: Attack Ogre 2, 22 hit, 12 damage (forgot to add +2 rage damage)
Bonus Action: Bite Ogre 2, 13 hit, 5 damage (forgot to add +2 rage damage)
Interaction:
Reaction: