twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 06:02 AM
Trial by stone!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19624
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Colour me Yes, Dark Orange. That's sounds about right.interested!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:16 AM
Massively Multitasking

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9897
Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain
Is there room for Gunslingers in this campaign? Or is gunpowder weaponry still years in the future?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Tainted Silver Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 907
Feirnon Feirnon Feirnon Feirnon Feirnon Feirnon Feirnon Feirnon
That's....interesting.....I think I'll go as a rogue or fighter.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Just learning to lose.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5234
Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast

@kenneth - While I admire your courage, I don't think an NPC class would be entirely wise...there is certainly a physical element involved. Also, it's not my campaign but Pazio's - mostly Rob McCreary's brainchild, I believe.

@Moridain - I haven't looked up specific rules and regs, but I'm shooting for (see what I did there?) post-gunpowder, pre-cannon...or some fantastically justified equivalent. So yes, gunslingers will be allowed - but I reserve the right to be extra picky about how you approach them.

Edit - I'm going to have to amend my smiley use. The official DM smiley of the Skulls & Shackles AP is quite obviously

!

“The last thing he ever said to me was, 'Just always be waiting for me, and then some night you will hear me crowing.”

Last edited by Mal Radagast; 05-01-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1056
Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf
Hey, I haven't dabbled in pathfinder yet but would like to. Heres a rough character idea.

Last edited by Baileywulf; 05-06-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28579
Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption
*slinks in*
Hello Malleus, I heard there was a Skulls and Shackles game, and I was interested to get in on it. So, this is me posting interest.

And soon, this will be replaced by me posting an app - but not yet. I want to read the player's guide first.

Massive Damage: Yea, it seems interesting.
Editing: Yea, I'd abide that.

Morgard
left-aligned image

Name: Morgard "the Red"
Race: Teifling (demon-spawn variant)
Class: fighter (cad) [later branching into Rogue (thug)]
Alignment: Chaotic Individual (yet surprisingly, lawful neutral in the traditional system, because he knows how very important it is to defer to a captain)
Trope: Well, there's obviously a need for a Nice Hat, and his name alone clearly falls under Captain colorbeard. However, he's going to generally going to be the big lunky character who follows orders when given, and causes all sorts of other problems when not.
Trait: dockside brawler

Trait post: To say that Morgard was his father's son would be to put quite the twist on the phrase. With ruby red skin and small pointed horns, the young teifling looks nothing like the man who raised him claiming the boy to be his own son. Morgard's father believes it, too, he's slept with enough women in enough ports that he didn't even question being presented with the infant child one day when he pulled into port.

No, when it's said that Morgard is his father's son, it means that he is an agressive, surly and generally unruly fellow, whose first result to almost any problem is to punch that problem in the face, and then maybe go have a drink. Honestly, how Morgard survived to adulthood with a father like that is nothing short of a miracle, or a testament to the demon blood running through his veins.

By the time he was fourteen, he was his father's equal in manning a ship or drinking his weight in rum, but where he had always excelled was in brawling. Perhaps it was from having to help his supposed father out of one fight after another, perhaps it was just something that came naturally to him, but he was good at it. A swift kick to the knee, a punch to the kidneys, every dirty trick in the book was as natural to Morgard as the idea to swing a chair as club came to mostly every drunken brawler he found himself up against.

After a few years of this particular knack winning bets for his father, Morgard returned to the inn they had been staying in to find him shot and dead, laying in a pool of his own blood, forcing Morgard to cope on his own the only way he knew how - by brawling his way across the shackles and taking whatever work he could find, just as his father had.

Well, we can see how well that worked out for him.

Thoughtful Ramble: One might think, from all the trouble that Morgard gets into, that he doesn't deal well with authority, but that couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, Morgard craves to be told what to do, and his life has really been chaos since his father stopped doing just that. He doesn't like having to think on his own, it's too much work.

As a result, Morgard has a tendancy to latch on to anyone who seems to know what they're doing, clinging most tightly to the captain of whatever ship he's on, the ultimate authority and judge of worth aboard a ship. In fact, that's one of the reasons Morgard keeps sailing, so there will always be a captain about. Of course, he's yet to find a crew or captain to keep him aboard for longer than a single journey.

Of course, when there isn't an authority figure about, Morgard's disregard for thinking tends to land him in quite a bit of trouble, especially when he fights dirty or wenches about. More than once he's found himself beaten down and dragged in an alley - or simply arrested for unruly behavior.

Flaws: Morgard isn't so good with the thinking things, and is more than happy to simply do what he's told. A good puppy.

Last edited by Admin RonarsCorruption; 05-09-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Just learning to lose.

Tools
User Statistics
Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast

I appreciate the vote of confidence, Ronars - especially after I slinked out of your Council of Thieves. To be honest, I'm hoping that a stint of DMing will help me to become a more reliable member...my history here is a tad inconsistent. ... Whoops, I mean !

“The last thing he ever said to me was, 'Just always be waiting for me, and then some night you will hear me crowing.”

Last edited by Mal Radagast; 05-01-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28579
Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption
Well, so long as we can press-gang *you* into work whenever you feel tempted to disappear, I can't suspect the game will be anything short of excellent.

We really need to get you some more expressive pirate emoicons, though.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Still Cuddly, Still Fuzzy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14067
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
This one is kinda in the spirit o' things. Oh, and Yaaaarg!!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Sea Witch
Albatross anyone?

I'll gladly be an albatross (for the other ships that is) by playing a witch. I'd focus more on debuffing and "cursing" those that get in our way. I wouldn't mind collaborating with someone else to generate further ideas and character concepts. I guess we have the time to do so. Let me know if some one is interested.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Wombat Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8305
Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw
In brief:
The Root of the MatterName: Nemat Cailean
Race: Human (Heart of the Fields)
Class: Ranger (Favored Enemy: Human)
Tropes: For the moment, Nemat fulfills an ectype of Chosen One. He has a destiny, which everyone around him assumes will be something spectacular and great. The prophecy itself, however, is less than optimistic. Nemat is a good person, but largely because he is young and has not yet been jaded by exposure to the world. "Give him time," says the Lord of Darkness (whoever that is). "In the end, he'll turn the world to ruin - and he won't even realize it was him."
Trait Post: Besmara's Blessing
The journey to Port Peril was long and somewhat less exciting than he had hoped; but then, Nemat had been expecting nothing but adventures and sea monsters when he'd boarded the Murkblade. Merchant vessel or no, there was no reason to hope for anything less than constant swashbuckling on his first trip at sea. The relatively easy passage from Varisia, the calm waters and clear skies, had bored him almost to distraction. He couldn't wait to get off at Port Peril and find a ship that would guarantee more interesting adventures.

"Port Peril is a dangerous place," the captain told him as they were disembarking, carrying crates of goods from the ship to the dock on their way to the Fairly Maid. "Keep your wits about you, and don't make friends with the wrong sort of folk. Pirates make frequent stops here, and they'll sooner skin you alive than hire you onto their crew."

"I'm sure it's not as bad as all that," Nemat replied. He had, of course, heard stories of pirates setting sail from Port Peril. If he was being honest with himself, it was part of what made him so excited to be there.

The evening was full of drink and song, some less savory than others; but before long, the captain was asleep in his chair, and Nemat was alone at his table. The wench passed by and smiled at him, as if to say, Looks like you're free to do as you please.

Nemat smiled back, as if to say, Why yes, yes I am.

A night in a bed was a delightful and unexpected luxury, and sharing it with a woman whose name he couldn't remember was an extra piece of luck. They tossed about in the sheets for a bit, then lay in each other's arms for an hour, Nemat talking about his hopes for the future, the wench not talking at all. It was strange; although he had just met her, and although he wasn't sure if her name was Nancy or Isabel, Nemat felt comfortable in the wench's presence, as though he could tell her anything and she would hold it in the highest confidence.

He should have realized that something was amiss when she suggested tying him to the bedpost; even as young and unworldly as he was, Nemat was familiar with stories of sailors being robbed by prostitutes. It was a financially viable tradition, and one that he was inclined to support, at least in spirit. But Nemat had come to Port Peril without any money, and his only belongings were a cutlass that was a gift from his foster father, and a deck of cards that he had apparently always possessed. He didn't think there was much money in old harrow decks, and swords were easy enough to come by in a town that serviced pirates.

It was when the other five men opened the door and surrounded him, each armed with a billy club, that he started to think that maybe this wasn't such a good idea. "I don't suppose you're here to turn down the sheets?" he said, attempting to sound more flip than he felt.

The thugs didn't answer; but one of them grinned, as the other four beat Nemat senseless with their clubs. When they were done, and Nemat was feeling sufficiently 'roughed up', the grinning thug spoke. "Congratulations," he said through a tragically severe underbite. "You've been recruited. Welcome to the crew of the Wormwood."

Nemat looked for the wench; but she had already gone. Taken his sword with her, too, although she was kind enough to leave his harrow deck. At least with his cards he wouldn't be bored. "So, you're not here for the sheets then?"

Underbite grinned wider. Then he brought his billyclub to bear, and the world disappeared.
Thoughtless Ramble: As a follower of Cayden Cailean, Nemat's devotion is to the wind, and the world, and the sea. He also gives offerings of drink to the Accidental God, and never turns down a good dare if he can help it, so long as the terms of that dare endanger only Nemat and no one else. He believes in "going where the wind blows", which more often than not means walking dead into a trap for the sheer adventure of it. Whether it's his personal charm, or the favor of his patron, Nemat always seems to come out on top. Unless we're including the incident with the tavern wench and the bedpost in this summation; but we're leaving that part out, right?

Nemat grew up on the coastline with a foster father who ran a tavern catering only to sailors. The "Heart of the Sea" alternate trait reflects this nicely, granting a bonus to Profession (Sailor) checks that scales with his level - which means that despite his relative inexperience, Nemat will eventually become such a skilled (I dare say "talented") sailor that he might be a smart choice for captain.

Of course, that same concept could be demonstrated with Skill Focus (Profession [Sailor]), or just by using his bonus skill point per level to take ranks in the skill. Heart of the Fields (which I translate in my mind to "Heart of the Sea", in this case) just makes it that much simpler for him to be not only skilled, but talented. Particularly with a low Wisdom score, I'd like it to be clear that his talent for sailing is despite his relative shortsightedness. Of course, this might also be a good use of Besmara's Blessing; but "Heart of the Sea" has a nice ring to it, too. Nemat is a sailor at heart, and in fact it's this devotion to the sea and Hemlen's religious affiliation that makes him a good paladin of Cailean.

Editing: As long as you let me know when you're doing it, I don't mind as much. You can view the change history to see what's been changed (in your own posts, at least), so there's some transparency there; but if you don't let us know that you've made changes, we don't know to look. Further, I would say typographical correction is one thing - but content changes I would definitely have a problem with.
Massive Damage: Sounds interesting - but it also sounds like it could very easily ruin someone's character build. If you've got something in place to compensate or account for that, then I'm fine with it.

Last edited by Aosaw; 05-08-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Tainted Silver Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 907
Feirnon Feirnon Feirnon Feirnon Feirnon Feirnon Feirnon Feirnon
This Application is now a Secondary Application. I will be doing a collaboration with Creapers which will be my Primary Application. That application will likely be posted later once we've sorted out the details.

Last edited by Feirnon; 05-03-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Destroyer of Feels

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6177
asura8 asura8 asura8 asura8 asura8 asura8 asura8 asura8 asura8 asura8 asura8
So. My soon to be traditional statement: multiple character apps or just want me to stick with the one?

In any case, one concept will be incoming, as I may have just been hit with a bout of brainstorming.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Just learning to lose.

Tools
User Statistics

Ahm, one app at a time please, but I do sympathize. Just pick your favorite for now, then change your mind if another idea comes on stronger later on. I have been known to keep alternate character notes in spoilers in my own app threads until deadline, so I wouldn't discourage anyone here from doing the same. Might give other folks ideas, or serve as NPCs for your own backstory...or just help to scratch that character creation itch.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 733
Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19
WITHDRAWN

character in brief
Name: Deidri Of The Flowing Footsteps
Race: Halfling
Class: Monk
Alignment: Lawful Neutral (Both standard and GM's alignments)

Description:

For the last two weeks, the halfling woman had been prowling the docks, asking every sailor (or person who looked like a sailor) if they'd let her join the crew.

She was exceptionally short, even for a halfling; if it weren't for the defined muscles on her bare limbs, she would have been mistaken for a little girl. She wore her soft blond hair in a braided ponytail, tied off at the end with a shiny blue ribbon. Her outfit consisted of a cloth suit, cut off at the limbs and with gaps above and below the breasts. She looked like a pleasure slave, but her mannerisms were similar to a bull's.

Not every sailor turned her job applications down, but the few who offered her a job were so lewd that she was forced to knock some manners into them, and move on to the next would-be employer. No one was sure where she'd come from, since she didn't talk much except to ask for work. One young fellow claimed he'd seen her hop off the side of the Sandsurfer, a merchant vessel from Katapesh, but he also said that it could have been somebody else, as it was quite dark at the time.

The general opinion was that she was in trouble. Could she be on the run from the law? Unlikely; she seemed the sort that wouldn't steal bread when she was starving. Could somebody be after her? Perhaps; her eyes were always so distrustful, so searching. But in the meantime, they were stuck with this lost soul.

Rambling Thoughts
While Diedri acts calm and collected, inside she's not so sure about things. About half a year ago, her monastery was ransacked, its members executed in a brutal manner. The sole survivor of this, Diedri has been wandering, confused, ever since. This sudden decision to become a pirate is not only an attempt to run away; It is also part of an ongoing search for a place where she can belong.

My thoughts are that the monastery she belonged to was the peaceful sort; the kind that trained for enlightenment, not for power. They may not have even defended themselves when they were attacked. Diedri's reflected upon this, and is bitter. She thinks they're fools for not using the power they'd earned.

Diedri's dump stat is likely going to be her intelligence, while the stats she'll be maxing out are strength and wisdom. My interpretation of this is that she won't exactly be wise to societal norms. Thus why she's still wearing the outfit the slavers put on her: In her eyes, it's warm and comfortable, and that's all that really matters.

Her wisdom will give her a good understanding of people themselves. So, while she might not expect a pirate to double-cross her, she'll be able to see it coming.

She'll have trained her body to its physical peak (or as close as she can get), but she won't have had many chances to use her power, and will relish every chance she does get.

Regarding the monk needing to be lawful: I'm not averse to cross-classing if the alignment shifts towards chaotic. Heck, if my wisdom is high enough she might even go druid or ranger.

Last edited by Gunslinger 19; 05-09-2012 at 02:47 AM.