Game Thread Chapter 1: Goblin Arrows - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > The Lost Mine of Phandelver
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-11-2016, 12:59 AM
Dolbek's Avatar
Dolbek Dolbek is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-25-2016
RPXP: 230
Dolbek Dolbek Dolbek
Posts: 248
Chapter 1: Goblin Arrows

In the city of Neverwinter, a dwarf named Gundren Rockseeker hired a ragtag group of adventurers to bring a wagon load of provisions to the rough-and-tumble settlement of Phandalin, a couple of days' travel southeast of the city. Gundren was clearly excited and more than a little secretive about his reasons for the trip, saying only that he and his brothers had found "something big," and that he'd pay them ten gold pieces each for escorting his supplies safely to Barthen's Provisions, a trading post in Phandalin. He then set out ahead on horse, along with a warrior escort named Sildar Haliwinter, claiming he needed to arrive early to "take care of business." The group have spent the last few days following the High Road south from Neverwinter, and have just recently veered east along the Triboar Trail. They've encountered no trouble so far, but this territory can be dangerous. Bandits and outlaws have been known to lurk along the trail.

A slim, wiry fellow dressed in a hooded black cloak walked along behind the wagon, warily eyeing the woods on either side of the party. Hedes kept his cloak tightly hugged to his shoulders against the chill in the air. The pale autumn sun did little to warm the travelers. It was a clear day, and the air had a crisp cold to it that was only ever found in the wilderness. There was no wind, and hardly a sound but the trundle of the wagon and the steady clop-clop of the oxen pulling it.

Last edited by Dolbek; 01-12-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2016, 04:00 AM
Iselia Iselia is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-19-2016
RPXP: 1
Iselia
Posts: 11
The days of uneventful travel may have been a mixed blessing.

Being the worldly wanderer she was, Neririla Brightsong was no stranger to the roads- and the dangers they could bring- but there are times when her excessive familiarity could easily breed carelessness.

Particularly while in a group made of at least acquaintances, if not friends, with other sharp eyes to watch the surroundings, it was very hard for her to justify spending her time just walking, when she could also be taking quick notes and sketches of the roadside plant life, or reading some random academic paper she’d picked up three cities ago, or pondering the mysteries of the multiverse. You know, everyday things.

At the moment, her multitasking happened to consist of picking out quick series of notes on her lyre as she walked near the center of their little group, humming and mumbling to herself as she started to plan her performances for their stop in Phandalin. After all, there was no town too rough for her to ply her trade, and while the pay for safely delivering Gundren’s wagon was nothing to scoff at, there were always opportunities for a bard to make a little extra. Those who couldn’t- or wouldn’t- pay coin could usually be counted on to offer food or lodging instead- and those who didn’t have that, well, tended to have the most interesting stories to tell.


 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2016, 04:41 AM
rickymemuarno rickymemuarno is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-18-2016
RPXP: 0
rickymemuarno
Posts: 9
...And though shall not bring the weeping of the young, for the young shall carry the men of old in the days to come. Better to offer smiles and encouragement. One must do all things to resist the invitation of demons, and sorrow is but a stepping stone...

Setherath found himself once again mentally reciting the wisdom passages of his order's ludicrously oversized tomb as he eyed the brush on either side of the road. Though he must have read it 1000 times through, which is no easy task I must add, he still found himself helpless to resist it's illustrious pages on a regular basis. He knew the book well yet still found wisdom amidst the sheets of parchment and woven silver thread.

The woods looked safe. Why wouldn't they. The diversity of individual and the clear display of steel had mercenary written all over it. "Only a fool would think of robbing this caravan" Setherath gestured to his companions to the right of him," and I imagine the scent of Dragonborn has the beasts lining up for the kill" he added with a chuckle. "Non the less, best to keep our eyes peeled eh?"

The truth was, Setherath was nervous this being his first real adventure away from the Temple, and while he was eager to let his firmly gripped warhammer fly, he knew that a day without bloodshed would still pay them equally as well.

He shifted the weight of his shield as he took another good look at his surroundings.

 

Last edited by rickymemuarno; 01-12-2016 at 06:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2016, 05:32 AM
akelahnaih akelahnaih is offline
Wyrmling
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-15-2016
RPXP: 0
akelahnaih
Posts: 5
A cloud of vapour condensed at the breath of each traveler, but none quite as considerable as that from the immense sigh of the mighty Dragonborn, Hariel. Despite the cool weather, a high internal body temperature kept her comfortably warm as she watched intently for any signs of abnormal movement from all around. She also kept up observances from within the members of the small group and kept a mental note of their behaviors. Who was doing their job to their full potential and who might be focused elsewhere? This information may prove helpful in an instance where one of them would notice something threatening that, impossibly so, may elude her. Granted, this was a very medial task, and sadly these small assignments seemed to be the standard as of late. Long gone were the days where her career as a soldier presented an actual challenge. She ached for the chance to test her power and skill; to tap into a reserve of strength that only presented itself in the face of adversity. Alas, a task was a task, and she would complete this trek with the same dedication as any she had encountered before.

Hariel turned her head as Setherath began to speak. Though she appreciated the cleric’s attempt at light humor, cracking a smile, she couldn’t quite hide her annoyance at the pointless and idle chit chat. The Dragonborn shifted her gaze forward, some distance ahead of their charge, relying on her powerful peripheral vision once more.

 

Last edited by akelahnaih; 01-12-2016 at 05:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2016, 05:45 AM
Dolbek's Avatar
Dolbek Dolbek is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-25-2016
RPXP: 230
Dolbek Dolbek Dolbek
Posts: 248
As the day slowly moved on, so did the rag-tag group with their wagon. It was slow going. The trail was just that - a trail. Frequent bumps and potholes made it a treacherous road for a wagon with any kind of speed.

At around noon, when the pale yellow sun was at its peak, they rounded a bend in their path. The woods hugged the trail here, and steep embankments preceded dense thickets on either side. Hariel, who had been keeping a sharp eye out, noticed something on the trail up ahead.

Two dead horses, black feathered arrows protruding from bloody wounds, lay across their path, surrounded by what was presumably once carried in the saddlebags.

Last edited by Dolbek; 01-12-2016 at 05:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2016, 06:09 AM
rickymemuarno rickymemuarno is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-18-2016
RPXP: 0
rickymemuarno
Posts: 9
At the site of the misfortune ahead, Setherath quickened in front of the group. He looked for signs in the oxen that there might be immediate danger, preparing to calm them if so to prevent the wagon from suffering some sort of misfortune. He gestured to the group. "I will stay with the wagon and the oxen. Someone should check that out."
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-2016, 06:31 AM
akelahnaih akelahnaih is offline
Wyrmling
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-15-2016
RPXP: 0
akelahnaih
Posts: 5
Now that was something you don't see every day, Hariel thought to herself. Naturally, her suspicions arose immediately.

Ignoring Setherath’s request for the time being, she instead remained and scanned the area for anything that may warn them of impending menace. The pale sun glittered on her bright scales as Hariel’s head turned. She was not keen on how this situation appeared and had a sinking suspicion that her aversion to redundancy was hasty.

 

Last edited by akelahnaih; 01-13-2016 at 03:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-12-2016, 07:15 AM
Iselia Iselia is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-19-2016
RPXP: 1
Iselia
Posts: 11
Neririla silenced her random tune abruptly at the signal from Hariel, finally turning her attention up the trail.

Well, wasn’t that unpleasant.

And it had been such a nice trip so far, drat. Before she could break the silence Setherath spoke, prompting her to glance around at their companions, observing if anyone was jumping at the chance to investigate.

It didn’t seem like anyone else was keen to check things out. ”Well, alright then!” she said with some forced brightness in her voice. With a light shrug of her shoulder, the bard swapped her lyre for the crossbow slung across her back, and strode over to investigate the condition of the poor horses' remains, though her eyes strayed quite often towards the surrounding woods.


 

Last edited by Iselia; 01-12-2016 at 07:20 AM. Reason: reading clarity re: investigation
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Dolbek's Avatar
Dolbek Dolbek is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-25-2016
RPXP: 230
Dolbek Dolbek Dolbek
Posts: 248
Hedes walked to the head of the wagon to join Hariel and Setherath. He was not one to put himself forward, so he stayed quiet and opted to let the rest of the group decide their course of action.

Neririla approached the horses. While not exactly a wilderness expert, she could tell with relative certainty that the horses had been dead somewhere around a day, clearly from the multiple arrows embedded in their flesh. The saddlebags had been looted, and an empty leather map case lay on the path. Searching her memory, Neririla realized with a start that these were the horses belonging to none other than Gundren Rockseeker and Sildar Hallwinter, who had set out before them.

A sudden rustling in the bushes alerted the group to danger, and they all looked up. Four goblins charged out of the thicket on the north side of the road, a little ahead of where Neririla still crouched by the horses. They leaped down the embankment onto the path and charged toward her, weapons brandished, and shouting.

 

Last edited by Dolbek; 01-12-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-12-2016, 07:44 PM
rickymemuarno rickymemuarno is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-18-2016
RPXP: 0
rickymemuarno
Posts: 9
 


In realizing the danger that was upon them, Setherath shifted his weight and prepared to charge towards the combatants.

Last edited by rickymemuarno; 01-12-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-13-2016, 01:10 AM
Iselia Iselia is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-19-2016
RPXP: 1
Iselia
Posts: 11
Neririla’s eyes had widened abruptly as she recognised the horses, but before she could do much more to process the discovery, the shouting goblins were all but upon her. She rose quickly from her crouch with only the slightest stumble, swinging her crossbow up to the ready on reflex.

 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-13-2016, 03:15 AM
akelahnaih akelahnaih is offline
Wyrmling
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-15-2016
RPXP: 0
akelahnaih
Posts: 5
Hareil grabbed her great ax from its holster strapped across her back and prepared to defend her companions and their assignment.

 

Last edited by akelahnaih; 01-15-2016 at 03:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-13-2016, 03:36 AM
Dolbek's Avatar
Dolbek Dolbek is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-25-2016
RPXP: 230
Dolbek Dolbek Dolbek
Posts: 248
While not exactly stealthy, the goblins still caught the group mostly unprepared. The two foremost goblins, armed with the wicked scimitars favoured by their race, charged at Neririla, who the closest target. Her quick reaction meant she got up just as the first swing came at her. The scimitar whistled as the savage blade skimmed just inches away from her belly. Before she could fully recover, the second goblin was on her, and this time she was not so lucky.

Neririla's small stumble was enough of an opening for the second blade. It sliced a 5hp gash, in facta large gash in her thigh, which abruptly filled with blood.

The other two goblins were carrying shortbows, black-feathered arrows from which they now let fly. Hedes casually watched one thick shaft fly by his head with a disinterested expression. An expression which quickly left his face as the second arrow found its mark.

The black steel, barbed tip critical hit of 11 damage. Apparently the dice gods hate youslammed into Setherath's chest, burying itself in the chink it had found in his armour. Without even a chance to cry out, he slumped against the wagon, before sliding to the ground, unconscious.

Last edited by Dolbek; 01-13-2016 at 03:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-13-2016, 03:42 AM
rickymemuarno rickymemuarno is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-18-2016
RPXP: 0
rickymemuarno
Posts: 9
 

Last edited by rickymemuarno; 01-13-2016 at 03:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-13-2016, 04:01 AM
akelahnaih akelahnaih is offline
Wyrmling
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-15-2016
RPXP: 0
akelahnaih
Posts: 5
The dragonborn’s vision began to cloud with rage at the vicious assault on her companions. Immediately she charges, closing the distance between her and their assailants at an alarming rate, raising her ax ready to strike the nearest goblin.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:22 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB