Game Thread Strangers in a Strange Land - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Nentir Vale
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-12-2018, 01:23 AM
Dark Lady Zannah's Avatar
Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-08-2020
RPXP: 1545
Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah
Posts: 2,075
Strangers in a Strange Land

Jivete stared in shock as the portal closed behind herself and her brother. Her mind reeled as she tried to process where they were, as well as the fact that they might never see their home again. She was Princess Jivete, Paladin of the Red Knight, who was also known as the Lady of Strategy, Grandmaster of the Lance-board, and Crimson General. Her dogma dictated the use of careful tactics in battle to achieve victory, under the belief that sound strategy was the best way to win a battle with the most favorable outcome. Her symbol, painted on Jivete's shield, was a red knight-errant chess piece with stars for eyes. She could not begin to imagine a strategy by which she and her brother might somehow find their way home again.

Where they found themselves was on the road just outside the town of Fallcrest, located in the Nentir Vale, which was in some other place within the multiverse from their home. They did not know if they had been transported to another world or to another plane. They were now strangers in a strange land, exiled from the home where they were members of the royal family, the son and daughter of a respected monarch. Apparently they had enemies, because it would be piss poor strategy indeed for a friend of the crown to have orchestrated the means by which the siblings ended up stranded here.

They heard a scream. Jivete turned to see a dwarvish peasant being harassed by a giant wasp. They were practically the same size. The dwarf uttered a string of profanity in his language. Jivete realized that she knew that language! She was able to understand the dwarf as he asked for aid. Jivete turned to address her brother. "We must aid this dwarf dear brother. Our one bit of good fortune is that I understand them. Should we kill this giant wasp, we may gain information about where we are and what manner of people are to be found here."

Jivete dons her shield and prepares her longsword. The dwarf did their best to avoid being stung as Jivete rushed into action, sure that her brother would heed her call to action and back her up with his spellcasting.

Dice Jivete Initiative:
d20+3 (9)+3 Total = 12
Dice Giant Wasp Initiative:
d20+2 (13)+2 Total = 15
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-12-2018, 01:47 PM
purplerook's Avatar
purplerook purplerook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-10-2020
RPXP: 5962
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Posts: 8,835
IC
Fredrik looks left and right and realized that he and Jivete had been outmaneuvered. Although the fact that they were not dead, or in some lower plane of hell was an indication that either their opponent was playing a long game or things had not gone quite as expected.

Hearing the scream and seeing the Dwarf, Fredrik readied himself for combat.

Dice Fredrik Initiative:
1d20+4 (7)+4 Total = 11
__________________
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his | Posting Normal/Daily |Location:Eastern US. GMT-5
Oath of Sangus | Shared World (new players welcome) The West Marches

Last edited by purplerook; 03-12-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Dark Lady Zannah's Avatar
Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-08-2020
RPXP: 1545
Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah
Posts: 2,075
Round 1The giant wasp got the jump on them, turning its attention away from the beleaguered dwarf. Jivete found herself the new target of its aggression.

Dice Giant Wasp Sting Attack vs Jivete:
d20+4sch18 (17)+4 Total = 21
1d6+2 (1)+2 Total = 3
Dice Jivete Constitution Saving Throw vs Poison:
d20+3sh11 (3)+3 Total = 6
Dice Additional Poison Damage:
3d6 1, 2, 4 Total = 7

Jivete suddenly finds herself near death. Knowing that retreating is only going to provoke an opportunity attack, Jivete knows that her only real chance of getting out of this alive is by killing this giant wasp and doing so immediately.

Dice Jivete Longsword vs Giant Wasp:
d20+5sch12 (3)+5 Total = 8
1d8+3 (7)+3 Total = 10

Jivete cursed as she missed with her attack. Things weren't going even remotely well today. Not at all...

Last edited by Dark Lady Zannah; 03-12-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-2018, 02:27 PM
purplerook's Avatar
purplerook purplerook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-10-2020
RPXP: 5962
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Posts: 8,835
IC
Fredrik silently curses, as he watches Jivete miss the Giant Wasp and then get stung herself. "Who knows how far we are from home and medical supplies. Had I know this was in our future, I would have prepared better."

Draws his dagger and rushes forward to attack the Giant Wasp, thinking "We came into the world together and we will leave it together." Fredrik viciously stabs the wasp, hoping to redirect its attack from his sister to he.

Dice Fredrik Attack:
1d20+6 (6)+6 Total = 12
1d4+4 (3)+4 Total = 7
__________________
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his | Posting Normal/Daily |Location:Eastern US. GMT-5
Oath of Sangus | Shared World (new players welcome) The West Marches
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-12-2018, 02:42 PM
Dark Lady Zannah's Avatar
Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-08-2020
RPXP: 1545
Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah
Posts: 2,075
Round 2The dwarf runs toward the town, calling for the guards and asking them to help.

The wasp turns its attention to the unarmed young man that just stabbed it.
Dice Giant Wasp Sting vs Fredrik:
d20+4sch17 (6)+4 Total = 10
1d6+2 (4)+2 Total = 6

The wasp misses Fredrik. Jivete counter attacks with her longsword.
Dice Jivete Longsword vs Giant Wasp:
d20+5sch12 (17)+5 Total = 22
1d8+3 (6)+3 Total = 9

Last edited by Dark Lady Zannah; 03-12-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-12-2018, 02:50 PM
purplerook's Avatar
purplerook purplerook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-10-2020
RPXP: 5962
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Posts: 8,835
IC
Looking at the badly damaged Giant Wasp, Fredrik cast sleep on it.

Fredrik turns to his sister and does what he can to try and succor her. He tells her "Wherever we are, it appears like our kingdom, where the peasantry runs away from danger as the nobility stride into danger."


Dice Fredrik sleeps Giant Wasp:
5d8 3, 3, 7, 7, 8 Total = 28
__________________
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his | Posting Normal/Daily |Location:Eastern US. GMT-5
Oath of Sangus | Shared World (new players welcome) The West Marches
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-12-2018, 03:17 PM
Dark Lady Zannah's Avatar
Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-08-2020
RPXP: 1545
Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah
Posts: 2,075
 


AftermathJivet laid hands on herself to recover 5 of the 10 hit points that she lost due to that wasp's sting and its accompanying poison. With a defeated look, she approached Fredrik and initiated a shoulder cross.

A shoulder cross is a symbolic gesture of general good will, and decent intent. It is used nearly everywhere throughout the realm that Jivete and Fredrik hail from, and would be somewhat comparable to a handshake.

A shoulder cross is performed by each participant extending his or her right hand palm outward until it touches the intended recipient's right shoulder. The recipient then returns the gesture in kind.

"It appears that you have saved my rump on this day. I scarce know how to thank ye."

Soon the dwarf is back with a contingent of guards who see that things are already in hand. One spits on the dead wasp, while one of the men tries to flirt with Jivete and tend to her injuries at the same time. It is quickly apparent that the two strangers are not from around here. As it so happens, the dwarf is an apprentice to a cartographer. He isn't particularly skills, as yet, but none the less he persisted. The dwarf presents Fredrik and Jivete with two crudely drawn maps. The first is a map of the Nentir Vale. The location of the town of Fallcrest is pointed out on the map, indicating that is where they are. The second map is of the town of Fallcrest, the town the siblings find themselves located just outside.

The siblings are asked to explain this shoulder cross, as it appears this is a custom foreign to this new land. Upon hearing the explanation, one of the guards explains to them the concept of a handshake.

The male guard appears to be either extremely chivalrous or seriously trying to get into Jivete's pants. She has no understanding of this. Where they are from, their parents would have arranged marriages for each of them. They would have had little say in the companionship they had, as their hand would be used to secure a political alliance for the betterment of the realm. Jivete was still a virgin, as men where they were from were want to worry that if they did not shape the passage to their measure and stain the bedsheets with the evidence of her lost maidenhead, they had no way to be sure their children were trueborn. In the ways of romance, Jivete was incredibly naïve.

The siblings were escorted to the Location 4 on the Fallcrest mapNentir Inn. The thankful dwarf paid Erandil Zemoar for the siblings first round in the tap room. The guard who was sweet on Jivete arranged to get them a room. Meanwhile, a bar wench who may well double as a lady of the evening began to lavish Fredrik with the same level of flirtatious attention.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-12-2018, 03:48 PM
purplerook's Avatar
purplerook purplerook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-10-2020
RPXP: 5962
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Posts: 8,835
Aftermath
Fredrik returns Jivete's should cross telling her "Truely sister, it is you who have saved my rump. I could not have survived the attack from that vicious beast. As well, it was your blade that laid it low. I will say, dearest sister, that before today, I would have said that should have to be stranded with but one person, you would be my first choice. So, despite the dire straights in which we find ourselves, I comfort myself with the knowledge that you are at my side."

"Now let me prepare myself for the native's return. I have a spell that will let me comprehend any language.
It will take some time to cast from my spellbook."
Fredrik opens his spell book and begins Casting Comprehend Languagesworking a ritual spell.

Fredrik is initially taken aback that the dwarf and the guard speak the same language as in their home kingdom. Fredrik tells Jivete "Perhpas we are not so far from home as we had thought." Although looking at the Dwarves crudely drawn map crushes that hope.

Fredrik watches the young guard and his sister. He thinks "It looks the males are the same the world over. The only difference is that here they are unaware of the consequences of a dalliance.

Fredrik tells the guard "My sister and I thank you for your courtesy. As my sister is of the nobility, besides being a wizard, I serve as her chaperone."

Fredrik quickly tunes out the barmaid as he shifts into one of his favorite pastimes - people watching. His eyes roam the bar looking for the unusual or out of place.

Fredrik tells Jivete "Our funds will not go far here. We are no longer nobles with house and retainers to support us. We will need to finds something that will pay our way. Fortunately, there is always a demand for a strong sword arm and a cunning spell caster."

Dice Perception:
1d20+4 (16)+4 Total = 20

Dice Investigation:
1d20+6 (18)+6 Total = 24
__________________
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his | Posting Normal/Daily |Location:Eastern US. GMT-5
Oath of Sangus | Shared World (new players welcome) The West Marches
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-12-2018, 08:30 PM
Dark Lady Zannah's Avatar
Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-08-2020
RPXP: 1545
Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah
Posts: 2,075
Where do we go from here?The guard uttered what was probably a curse in the local dialect. He laid down 5 silver pieces for a room with two single beds for the two siblings hoping to share the one with Jivete in it for a time. Unfortunately for him, Jivete seemed oblivious to his amorous advances, and her brother was actively trying to cock block him.

Jivete would have wondered at the curtness, almost to the point of possibly being rude, had she not been struck by the fact that he revealed their noble status. Jivete wondered if that would have any bearing whatsoever here. What if it put a target on their backs rather than protect them? She would have preferred that her brother kept that under his hat until they had more information, but they were who they were and she felt absolutely no shame in letting it be known. Her only concern was whether that move was advantageous, or disadvantageous, from a tactical standpoint.

The guard seemed visibly put off by Fredrik's response. He shifted gears and did his best to change tactics. "Nobility you say... Well, then perhaps you may wish to pay a visit to Lord Warden Faren Markelhay at Moonstone Keep later this evening. I will be off duty, but I'd be obliged to speak with him on your behalf about a meeting. He is eager for news of other towns in the Vale (and farther lands as well)." The guard failed to add that his assistance wasn't actually required because he never turns away someone who brings him news or waits to see him.
Jivete was starting to get the sense there was something he wasn't saying, but could not begin to put her finger on what that was exactly.

Fredrik found that his powers of observation and investigation did not let him down. He was able to gather a couple of bits and pieces of information regarding local riff raff likely to cause trouble in town.

The Raven Roost bandits operate from an old manor house between two major trade route, fanning out to prey on travelers passing to Fallcrest, Hammerfast, Harkenwold, or Thunderspire. Tipped off to the impending appearance of wealthy travelers by Barton, the smiling proprietor of according to their map of the Nentir Vale, Fiveleague House was a little over 50 miles east and a little bit north, along the Trade Road, much closer to Hammerfast then FallcrestFiveleague House, and led by three ambitious shadar-kai, the bandits forged themselves such a reputation for elaborate and gruesome killing that the people of the Nentir Vale initially offered them no resistance.

Beneath the shadow of Fallcrest's limestone bluffs lies the modest district of Lowtown. Here, amid the hulks of burned-out buildings left to rot following the Bloodspear War, citizens of little wealth scrape out meager existences one day at a time. Honest jobs have been scarce in recent years, forcing droves of paupers to live off the streets, where local thugs call the shots.

The Lower Quays is home to one such gang of miscreants and ruffians - the River Rats. An odd band of human and halfling poor, the River Rats have long plagued warehouse owners along the wharf. This incessant targeting has had an increasingly debilitating effect on merchant trade in Lowtown. Frustrated traders must calculate whether they would rather pay exorbitant fees to the Porters' Guild of the Upper Quays to safely unload and store their goods, or risk the pilfering hands of the River Rats.

The first tieflings entered the Nentir Vale as ragged survivors, exiled from most civilized areas and distrusted by all because of the corruption of Bael Turath. A handful of tiefling scoundrels descended from those refugees have banded together for mutual protection, calling themselves the Fell Court. These self-proclaimed scions of Bael Turath are determined to restore the shattered empire under their rule.

The outcast tieflings have settled in the seedier parts of Fallcrest and other communities throughout the Nentir Vale. Their leader, Melech Ambrose, fancies himself a visionary and a general, but in truth he behaves more like a petty crime lord, lurking within Fallcrest’s slums and conducting clandestine operations that fund his “war chest.” The Lord Warden of Fallcrest has only recently become aware of the Fell Court and seeks more information about the tieflings, but his agents have had trouble uncovering the Fell Court’s activities.

Melech Ambrose runs a modest black-market operation out of Fallcrest. He has become a folk hero among the slum dwellers, who are usually unprotected by the constabulary, because of his defiance of the established authorities. Ever the smooth talker, Melech has wormed his way into several important social circles beyond the slums and befriended well-to-do people willing to turn a blind eye to his criminal enterprises in exchange for a fat purse.

Though many question his motives, he has never been charged with a crime and acts shocked when accused. He is fiercely protective of his fellow Fell Court members and does whatever it takes to shield them from local authorities.

The concern that Fredrik expressed was precisely that which had taken hold of his sister's attention. They would need to establish for themselves some kind of place here in the Vale, as she had heard it referred to in passing by the guard. "I have been thinking the same thing. It would be best to support ourselves. I know not what, but I believe even that chivalrous guard may have begun to expect something in return before you put him off it."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-12-2018, 10:04 PM
purplerook's Avatar
purplerook purplerook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-10-2020
RPXP: 5962
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Posts: 8,835
IC
To the guard, Fredrik is courteous "Many thanks for the offer. My sister is still injured from the fight with the Giant Wasp and we are both exhausted from our long journey. We shall turn in early, but will see the Lord Warden on the morrow. I would appreciate it if you would let him know that we will call on him at Mid-Day."

Fredrik explains a bit of his thought process to his sister "With our clothes and your armor, all who see us will know us as Noble. To deny it would cast suspicion on ourselves. As a Noble Lady, you would not travel with a chaperone of some sort and either sibling or a ladies maid are those who would be suitable. I do not want to approach the Lord Warden, until we have have had a chance to get the lay of the land or rather the town so to speak."

"In terms of earning a living, you are a Paladin and I a War Mage. I am sure that there is some wrong that needs to be put to rights within this vale. We will visit a merchant or two, and the local Mage's guild before seeing the Lord Warden."

Before turning in, Fredrik casts Mage Armor and sleeps with his dagger close at his side. As well, he takes the bed closest to the door. Fredrik watches as his sister prepares for bed and thinks "Ye gods, she has turned into a luscious maiden. Fortunate am I that she is trained in the martial arts for I doubt that I could keep all potential suitors at bay."

In the morning, Fredrik proposes a plan to his sister "We can say that we are traveling as journeyman Paladin and War Mage. Looking for some situation with which to prove our merit. We shall stop at the Halfmoon Trading House, the Spetarch's Towner and then Moonstone Keep inquiring in each place of any situation that would merit our attention. I would be surprised if the Wizard does not demand that I demonstrate my abilities. As well, both you and I should be prepared to provide a demonstration of arms and magic for the Lord Warden."

Fredrik uses his Prestidigitationarcane talent to ensure that he and his sisters clothing are spotless.
__________________
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his | Posting Normal/Daily |Location:Eastern US. GMT-5
Oath of Sangus | Shared World (new players welcome) The West Marches

Last edited by purplerook; 03-12-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-13-2018, 01:54 PM
Dark Lady Zannah's Avatar
Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-08-2020
RPXP: 1545
Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah
Posts: 2,075
Morning AfterJivete, in some ways, had led a sheltered life. She understood the ways of war and had trained extensively prior to her first life and death struggle which took place against a giant wasp that turned out to be a lot tougher than she might have imagined. Although academically Jivete knew where babies came from, she spent most of her time training in the sacred temple where one was far less likely to encounter suitors. She slept alone, unless a lady in waiting stayed with her. She did not worry herself about romantic interests because she knew that when the time came a match was to be arranged for her by her father. She remained completely oblivious today as a potential suitor tried to orchestrate a dalliance, failing to realize that her brother dismissed advances that she didn't realize were being made, on her behalf.

In the process of preparing for bed, Jivete did nothing to protect her modesty. She ended the day with her evening rituals of prayer and the martial maneuvers of the system of individual training exercises that she always did. Her brother comprehended her womanhood as she did this in only her undergarments. Climbing into bed, Jivete did not have long to contemplate her weariness before she fell asleep.

The next morning, after enjoying a thankfully uneventful long rest, the siblings began to make their way toward the Location 7Halfmoon Trading House. To get there from the Location 4Nentir Inn, they first needed to cross over Location 3Five-Arch Bridge.

Dwarf artisans from Hammerfast built a fine stone bridge over the Nentir two hundred years ago. Although the bridge was destroyed when Fallcrest fell, the great stone piers supporting it remained intact, so a few years back the people of the town laid a new timber trestle over the old stone footings.

A small toll house guards the western side of the bridge. Five Fallcrest guards under the command of Sergeant Thurmina watch this post. They collect a toll of 1 cp per head (and 1 sp per mount) making use of the bridge in either direction. Thurmina is a gruff woman who has been known to turn a blind eye to odd cargo moving over the bridge when paid to do so. The river current begins to pick up on the south side of the bridge. Boats (or Swimmers) venturing far from the banks are in danger of being carried over the falls.

 


Apparently gold was gold. Jivete had 5 gold coins on her from where they came from. The fact that this was foreign currency seemed to matter little. She received appropriate change of 9 silver and 9 copper pieces in the local currency and saw that her brother Fredrik did the same. "This underscores what you were saying. If I can avoid it, I'd prefer not to have to sell the piece of jewelry that I have from home. Without doing so, pooling our currency together, you and I have enough combined to cover or expenses for a short time. That concerns me, but, as you said, a strong sword arm and a cunning spell caster ought not struggle to find work in this place."

Their journey next took them past Location 11House Azaer on their left. A small, well-off trading company, House Azaer is owned by the tieflings of the Azaer family. They import goods (including arms and armor) from Hammerfast, Harkenwold, and the lands to the south, and organize caravans up to Winterhaven several times a year. House Azaer is an excellent place to purchase nearly any mundane equipment, although its prices are a little on the high side.

Amara Azaer is in charge of the house business in Fallcrest, and spends her time on the premises. Though young, the tiefling is quite sharp and doesn't miss an opportunity for profit in running the Azaer business.

"Would you like to inquire within?" Jivete asked her brother. "I must say, I hope you will not be giving me some sort of grief concerning the impossibility of detours. The towns temples are just ahead and across the street from each other. We must even walk past the Location 10House of the Sun to get to the Halfmoon Trading House. While I have my doubts they will have even have heard of the Red Knight or Mystra, I feel compelled to learn of their gods, and possibly have a conversation with them about ours. Be it before or after our errand, I hope that we might make the time."

When Fallcrest was a larger city, it supported several good-sized temples located in the Hightown districts. With the town's depopulation, several of these were abandoned, including the House of the Sun, a temple dedicated to Pelor. The place also includes shrines to Kord and Bahamut. Recently, a zealous dwarf priest of Pelor named Grundelmar came to Fallcrest from Hammerfast and reestablished this old temple. Grundelmar is loud and opinionated, a real fire-breather who goes on and on about smiting evil wherever it might lurk.

Across the street from the House of the Sun was the Location 13Temple of Erathis. This large, impressive stone temple is finished with Fallcrest's native marble. Its chapel is a large rotunda with a 30-foot-tall dome. The temple of Erathis is the largest and most influential temple in town. The place also includes shrines to Ioun and Moradin.

High Priest Dirina Mornbrow oversees two lesser priests and several acolytes - townsfolk who spend part of their day tending the temple. Dirina is a woman of about sixty who is convinced of the superiority of Erathis's dogma, and disappointed that more people in Fallcrest don't pay proper reverence to "our city's patron god."

The Halfmoon Trading House was up ahead. They would turn left at the intersection of the road. At this point, House Azaer would be behind them on the left, the House of the Sun would be ahead of them on the left, and the Temple of Erathis would be ahead of them on the right. The siblings would turn left, passing House Azaer again on their left with the House of the Sun now on their right. The Halfmoon Trading house would be on their right at the end of the next block after this one.

The Halfmoon family is a large, far-flung clan of halflings who keep small trading posts in several settlements throughout the Nentir Vale. This is the largest and most important of those establishments. It's under the care of Selarund Halfmoon, a friendly halfling who dispenses a never ending stream of advice to his customers, such as, "It never rains but as someone gets wet!" or "A nail ain't afraid of a hammer with no handle!" No one knows what he's talking about most of the time, but Selarund is more sly than he lets on and keeps a close eye on events all around the town.

The Halfmoon Trading House is an excellent place to buy mundane tools, gear, supplies, or clothing.

Just past the Halfmoon Trading House, on the next block and on the left was the Location 6Silver Unicorn Inn just before the Location 5Knight's Gate.

For many years, the Silver Unicorn has billed itself as "the Pride of Falicrest," charging high rates for its attentive service and well appointed rooms. The recent opening of the Nentir Inn put a big dent in the Silver Unicorn's business, and the owner, a stern halfing matriarch named Wisara Osterman, strongly disapproves. She's certain that there is something shifty about Erandil Zemoar, but can't put her finger on it.

A room in the Silver Unicorn costs prices in line with a Wealthy level of Lifestyle expense2 gp per night.

Fallcrest's northern city gate is known as Knight's Gate, because the Lord Warden's riders normally come and go from the city by this road. The gate consists of strong outer doors of iron-reinforced timber and an inner portcullis between a pair of small stone towers. The portcullis is normally lowered at sunset, and the gates close only in times of danger.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-13-2018, 04:15 PM
purplerook's Avatar
purplerook purplerook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-10-2020
RPXP: 5962
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Posts: 8,835
OOC
Suggestions
  • Jivete's Jewelry is her signet ring as Heir Apparent.
  • A couple of thieves/pickpockets would make an interesting 1st level encounter.

IC
Jivete and Fredrik are walking by House Azar as Jivete inquires about whether they should go in.
Fredrik responds "I suppose we have not clarified our roles in this adventure. It shall be Sister, as it has been from birth, I shall advise and you will lead. Frankly, I prefer the role for which our parents have been grooming me of Royal Mage and Investigator."

"As to our route and destinations this morning, I have given my advice, based on what I overheard at the Inn last night. However, I will follow your lead. As to House Azer, it sounds a little expensive for our thin purses. However, I see no harm in inquiring within. As to visiting one or both of the Temples, I must admit, I had overlooked them and heartily endorse stopping there."

__________________
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his | Posting Normal/Daily |Location:Eastern US. GMT-5
Oath of Sangus | Shared World (new players welcome) The West Marches
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-13-2018, 04:44 PM
Dark Lady Zannah's Avatar
Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-08-2020
RPXP: 1545
Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah
Posts: 2,075
OOCBoth of those suggestions are good ones.


IC"Well, after yesterday, I hold my advisor in higher esteem. It made me realize, to my shame, that too much of the time I have treated you a bit too much like my younger brother. I may have prided myself a bit too much on my prowess in combat. While you are correct, I did deliver the killing blow, I dare say I wouldn't have survived a second attack. I'm pleased you were uninjured and I'd like to think maybe I could have avoided the blow had it been directed at me, but that is my pride talking. The fact of the matter is that you provided a key distraction that I credit for turning the tide in our favor. I didn't realize that our objective was simply shopping. It had occurred to me that it might provide an extra arrow in our quiver in terms of prospecting for some means of employment were we to check in with House Azaer in addition to the Halfmoon Trading House. I don't think it would hurt to double our prospects even if we don't find what we are looking for until we get to the end of the road. As for the temples, I'm glad you will agree to join me. I feel that I am still connected to the Red Knight, but I feel a little out of sorts. Perhaps we will feel a connection with the gods of this place, or perhaps we will not. I partially regret now that I spent so much time learning to be a persuasive voice at court. Had I spent that time learning medicine I might perhaps have something to offer that we might be taken in and supported by the temple. In either case, I'd like to learn what we can about the gods here in this new place."


Dice Rolls
Dice Jivete Perception Check:
d20+5 (16)+5 Total = 21
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-13-2018, 05:32 PM
purplerook's Avatar
purplerook purplerook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-10-2020
RPXP: 5962
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Posts: 8,835
IC
Fredrik replies "I know not how much is birth and how much is training, but I honestly prefer the role of advisor. As to House Azaer, you are right, a richer merchant may have more expensive problems."

"As to skills, one day you will be the Queen. To be persuasive is essential. As to other skills, at a minimum, we will buy a healer's kit. Mayhap, we can find someone with Healing skills."

Jivette suddenly turns and clamps her hand on her purse. Apparently, someone had attempted to pick her pocket. However, instead of running off, the man draws a short sword and calls out "Fresh Meat." and a second

OODM
If you beat the Thieves initiative, you can go first
Dice Thief (skeleton) Initiative:
1d20+2 (18)+2 Total = 20

Dice Fredrik Initiative:
1d20+4 (7)+4 Total = 11
__________________
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his | Posting Normal/Daily |Location:Eastern US. GMT-5
Oath of Sangus | Shared World (new players welcome) The West Marches
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-14-2018, 07:46 AM
Dark Lady Zannah's Avatar
Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-08-2020
RPXP: 1545
Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah Dark Lady Zannah
Posts: 2,075
Expensive Problems
left-aligned image
Jivete,
Paladin of the Red Knight
Jivete spotted a pair of thieves coming. Her goddess could apparently still hear her prayers in this strange land, for she was blessed with a premonition that involved her brother quickly falling in combat and herself being knocked unconscious and taken alive in what would certainly prove to be a fate worse than death. Jivete took her brother's arm and quickly ushered him off the street and into House Azaer.

Amara Azaer greets and introduces herself to them, then kindly and asks the siblings if she can help them find anything. Fredrik inquires about the cost of a healer's kit so that the merchant will not fret they are mere loiterers not worth her time to fool with. Jivete decides there is nothing to lose by getting straight into it. Perhaps her skills in persuasion might even allow them to obtain the healer's kit less expensively.

"There appears to be some weight on your shoulder Miss Azaer. Might we prevail upon you to offer us the opportunity to lift it?" Jivete asks.

Amara seems to think carefully for a moment, then nods. "Alright then. I have a brother. His name is Kairon and he is being recruited, unless he already has been, by the Fell Court." Fredrik had overheard enough at the inn last night to know that they were swindlers and thieves in the service of one named Melech Ambrose. This petty crime lord has become a folk hero among the slum dwellers, who are usually unprotected by the constabulary, because of his defiance of the established authorities. Ever the smooth talker, Melech has wormed his way into several important social circles beyond the slums and befriended well-to-do people willing to turn a blind eye to his criminal enterprises in exchange for a fat purse. Many question his motives, but he has never been charged with a crime.

"The process of initiation begins with a staged attack against the potential recruit: Either the Fell Court hires thugs to accost the individual, or it orchestrates an encounter between the individual and one of his or her known enemies. Regardless, the Fell Court is careful to conceal its involvement in the planning of the attack. Once the potential recruit feels sufficiently threatened, the Fell Court intervenes. The intervention might take the form of a band of armed tieflings coming to the candidate’s defense or a secret payoff to keep an old enemy at bay. As the Fell Court comes to the candidate’s rescue, one of its members undertakes the task of befriending the potential recruit and creating a bond of trust." Amara sighs. "Kairon was bringing a shipment of imported goods in from Harkenwold when his caravan was attacked by the Raven Roost bandits. I think, but can't prove, that the Fell Court arranged this by telling the bandits where he would be, when he would be there, and what cargo he would be carrying. Now the Fell Court is blowing smoke up his arse about helping him reclaim what was stolen. How they even know he was robbed is suspicious in itself. Given the gang's MO, I'm convinced he is being setup and they will force him to do something he can't take back before all is said and done."


Dice Rolls
Dice Jivete Persuasion Check:
d20+6 (9)+6 Total = 15

 

Last edited by Dark Lady Zannah; 03-14-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:14 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB