Notices

Closed Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Banned

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 703
Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx
Oh sorry, in Races of the Dragon. You could, for example, become a Singer of Concordance at level 2. I think there is another one somewhere?
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Egon
Hey guys.

I'm a rather new player and don't know how to properly fill out a character sheet. My DM doesn't like to waste time as we rarely get together and if he has to make a new character on the spot it eats up a good few minutes. I started working on a one click character generator for him but since I don't know how to fully fill out a sheet I've come to a stop.

I was hoping if any of you could help me with what dice need to be rolled or what numbers or stats have to be added up and where. Currently I'm only on a 3.5 edition generator. After I finish this editor I hope to work on 4e and Pathfinder.

This is my current progress on it: Link

So if anyone could inform me on how to fill out the blank boxes it would be of great help to me, my DM and our group. If you really want I could put a link up so you can test it before its finished. And when it is I would be more than happy to share it with the forum.

Thank you!

Edit: Okay, I figured out the Base Attack/Save things

Last edited by Egon; Jan 8th, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1141
Pard Pard Pard Pard Pard Pard Pard Pard Pard
Need some help in Pathfinder. I've got this character:

http://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=27975

Half-Orc Ranger. Took the archery fighting spec and he has a falchion for melee. Now for the issue...

It looks like my party is made up of two casters, a secondary melee, and me. I am expected to be the fighter/paladin of the party but I'm a archery spec.'d ranger. You guys think that I should be able to handle it or if not what would you do 4th level to begin to rectify this issue?
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Applejack is Best Pony

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 549
Cancer Cancer Cancer Cancer Cancer Cancer
@ Pard : What do you intend to do?

Primary melee or archery? Being good in both is not as good as being awesome in one.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1141
Pard Pard Pard Pard Pard Pard Pard Pard Pard
I think I'm gonna morph this guy into a melee man. I'm stuck with what I've got, but I can work it into the story. He has been alone his entire life and that demanded a very broad range of skills. Now that he is finally with companions he will realize it is his calling to protect, which also makes sense with his slave freeing act. At the moment I'm going to be going Beastmaster at level 4 and roll a bear or something that is useful that way.
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:25 AM
ArtistErrant

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10243
Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor
Hi there. I have a character concept I'm interested in trying, and on Cancer's advice I've come to this thread to discuss it in some detail...
First and foremost, I want to mention that I'm completely new to this. Everything I know about DnD is second-hand, picked up from friends who play and various online media. I've never actually played DnD before; I've put in an application to the Mage Tower game, and my hope is that by the time a DM gets to me, I can have a fairly well-prepared character concept so that things can go more smoothly for both of us. And if all goes well, I can use (or at least adapt) the character to other RPs later.
I'm planning to build this character for DnD 3.5. I don't have any books; I really can't afford them at the moment, so I'm probably going to have to stick to the SRD for now.
Key points of the character's backstory:
--At a young age (let's say 8), he and his family left their home to settle in a fairly distant village
--In his teenage years (14 or so), his best friend from his old village showed up on their doorstep, barely alive
--He and his family nurse his friend back to health, learning in the process that the village where they used to live has been completely destroyed
--After making a partial recovery, his friend disappears during the night--my character presumes to pursue vengeance or something
--My character goes out to find his friend and stop him from doing something reckless that will get him killed

I'd like to play him as a speed-based melee character, rather than the more conventional tank. Light armor, small weapon (I'm thinking shortsword or scimitar), average or even below average HP. I get that it might be impractical to go with a low STR, since that affects my hit chance with a melee weapon, but DEX is probably a higher priority. As for optimization, I guess medium sounds about right.
Several people have suggested that ranger might be a good class for him, but I've also heard some support of barbarian, rogue, and a couple of Tome of Battle classes. As of yet I've only skimmed the prestige classes, so I don't know if I should be planning to switch over into one of those later on.
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Anarchic Actuary

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2744
chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant
Unless you can get your hands on Tomb of Battle, the classes from their are probably out of reach - they're not simple classes, and there's too much information to pick up second hand. I've already given you my twopenth on what class to take, so I'll stick to other options.
Weapon Finesse lets you replace your STR score with your DEX score for light melee weapons, plus rapiers and chains. It's the foundation of this sort of build. You need to decide if you want one weapon, or two. Two weapon fighting takes lots of feats to do well, but since you're not going to be following the 'two-handed-weapon-and-power-attack' route it's the best way to ensure your damage keeps up, at least for a while. It's only really effective if you've got a some damage in addition to the basic damage for your weapon; that's why rogues excel at it. If you're starting out at level 1, though, you don't need to worry about that so much. If your going with two weapons, you'll want them to be identical to maximise the bonuses you get from weapon-specific feats.
One weapon doesn't have very much to recomend it - your other hand is essentially a wasted resource. There's a prestige class, the Duelist, in the SRD that focuses on one-handed weapons, and you'll want to be using a rapier. I'd recomend getting a buckler - it's more 'duelist-y' than 'tank-y', and it'll boost your defense.
Don't skimp on HP - even wizards and sorcerers shouldn't skimp on HP.
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Applejack is Best Pony

Tools
User Statistics
The Warblade is free to play, as well WotC released all of the maneuvers online in their 3.5 index.

Here
is the Warblade, if you're interested on learning how ToB operates.
Here are the maneuvers.

All in all, I recommend playing a rogue and heavily emphasizing on the tumble and balance skill because 1 : Tumble allows you to walk around your opponents without threatening Attacks of Opportunity(AoO), 2) with 5 ranks it will give you a bonus to fighting defensively, and 3) with 5 ranks in Balance will give you a synergy bonus to Tumble as well as preventing you from being flat-footed while balancing.

You should assign your attributes like this, Highest to lowest : DEX, CON, INT, CHA, WIS, STR. Strength isn't all that important, mainly because you'll be relying on Sneak Attack to get most of your damage anyways.

Whatever you do, don't take skill enhancing feats as they are a waste of your time. Also, never take toughness or it's slightly better brother Improved toughness.

However, do take feats that make you more capable in combat like Weapon Finesse and Two Weapon Fighting.

As per prestige classes : Avoid all of the Core prestige classes like they're the plague. None of them actually grant any bonus worth having unless you start to play with out of core material, or are a wizard/sorcerer.

Last edited by Cancer; May 16th, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:27 PM
ArtistErrant

Tools
User Statistics
Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor
You know, I read through the feat list and somehow completely missed Weapon Finesse. That's definitely going to make a huge difference in how I build the character.
I think I'd rather try to make a two-weapon fighter than a duelist. Ranger gets two-weapon training automatically, but not till level two. And it looks like a rogue would have to wait until level two to take combat finesse? Am I understanding the base attack bonus correctly?
Oh, for the character's race, I was thinking human, but I'm wondering if I might be better off with an elf for the DEX bonus (among other perks). Is the stat bonus likely to be more or less useful than a bonus feat for being human?
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Applejack is Best Pony

Tools
User Statistics
You can't take Weapon Finesse till level 3 because of the BaB requirements.

Only in rare cases does another racial type beat out humans from a mechanical perspective, and those exceptions aren't listed on the SRD. The
bonus feat is awesome and the bonus skill points are awesome.
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:33 PM
ArtistErrant

Tools
User Statistics
Wait, hang on, Weapon Finesse requires a basic attack bonus of +1... a rogue has that by level 2, and ranger has that from level 1. Am I missing something here?
I also apparently forgot that humans get extra skill points. I'm a big fan of skill points. I'll stick with human then.
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Applejack is Best Pony

Tools
User Statistics
I've never understood it either, I typically house rule that it only has the dexterity requirement, mainly because that allows strength to be something that the "finesse" classes have one less thing to worry about and reduce MAD (Multiple Attribute Disorder). It also doesn't shatter the game allowing the Rogue to have a comparable attack score to a Barbarian or Fighter.

So, I'm at a loss for feats for you to take while within the realms of the SRD.

Last edited by Cancer; May 16th, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Anarchic Actuary

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2744
chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morathor View Post
Wait, hang on, Weapon Finesse requires a basic attack bonus of +1... a rogue has that by level 2, and ranger has that from level 1. Am I missing something here?
Rogues generally qualify for weapon finesse from level two, but they don't get a feat at second level. As you can't spend a first level feat on it, you have to wait for your next feat, which is 3rd level.
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:53 PM
ArtistErrant

Tools
User Statistics
Ah, right. That makes sense. I should have figured that out... thank you for clearing that up.
That pretty much takes rogue off the table entirely; level three seems like a long wait for such a crucial feat. Ranger it is then.
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Goddess of Oddness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 322
wolfoh wolfoh wolfoh wolfoh
Wow, this thread is still stickied, and questions being asked and answered. I love it. I'll be working on updating the first post.