RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jan 1st, 2024, 08:27 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35560
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Happy 2024!

Happy 2024!

Charity Drive 2023 final tally

We finished our 12th annual December drive with a total of $2336 $updated for a late donation!2361 raised for the Brain and Behavior Research Foundation. We didn't quite hit our target of $2500, but this is nonetheless a contribution to celebrate! This brings our grand total raised over the past 12 years to over $22,000! I'm proud that our community continues to make an impact in this way. Thank you to everyone who participated, and to all those in the wider ttRPG community who supported our site by donating prizes and mentioning us in social media!

For those waiting to receive rewards from the drive: please make an effort to write an online review of any accessory you use to give a helping hand to the generous prize donors. I aim to finish my part in handling all the prizes during the first week of January and you should be receiving everything soon after that. I will be sending out a message to prize recipients sometime in the next few days to collect information necessary for reward distribution.

Some highlights from the year:

RPG Crossing put out two new issues of Explosive Runes this year, including the current issue #35 that came out this month. If you haven't checked out this free community project, you're missing out on great art, stories, gaming advice, and short adventures! There's some great stuff in the our collection of back issues, and I encourage you to check it out.

In January, moderators Squeak and Unko Talok stepped away from duties on site staff to pursue gaming and "real life" (whatever that is) full time. At the same time, we said goodbye to EngrInAz, Inem, Admin Chuck, Admin TeufelHeunden, hvg3akaek, Ion2Atom and ItsaVerb, all of whom had been less active on the site for varying amounts of time, largely to ensure that we had a responsive and present moderation staff. Later on, in March, Moonzar also stepped down. Thank you to all of you for all your many contributions to this site. We also had a couple of moderators step down near the end of 2023 that haven't been officially announced yet, but I'll mention them here: thank you to Retry and HenryLockwood for all their contributions to the community, and I look forward to seeing them around as community members for years to come. I've had the pleasure of working with all these folks, and gaming with many of them, and will miss those regular interactions. A current list of site staff is available here.

The departures in January were balanced out by the promotion of Admin Choc and new staff members bananabadger, Black Jim, Ildrahil, Leviticus, Savoylen, Silent Rain and Retry. We'll be opening another application process sometime early this year.

At the end of January, The Rat Queen was announced as the winner of the 2022 Post of the Year about Kierra Sinclair. Keep an eye on the Announcements forum in the coming month to learn the winner of the 2023 Post of the Year.

For the fourth year, we opted for an alternate April 1 celebration. Instead of a prank, we had another community day(s).

Near the end of April, hafrogman created an awesome Cypher sheet for the community. Thank you for volunteering your coding skills and creating new content for all of us! Later in the year, hafrogman struck again with a Cyberpunk RED sheet and enhancements to the Starfinder sheet.

In May, two teams tied in the RPG Crossing community scavenger egg hunt competition. The winners were teams Hoffman's Finest and Lizrads, with members Savoylen, Ghostwalking, Humble Athena, and Oakie of Hoffman's Finest and Fillyjonk, LostCheerio, and PTWiddle of Lizrads.

In May, Aethera announced the addition of five new games to RPG Crossing's Hall of Fame. The new inductees were Battle of the Bards, a Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition game DMed by Fillyjonk, The Coils of Veles, a Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition game DMed by 4eyedbadger, Nothing Ever Happens in the North, a Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition game DMed by lostcheerio, Great Old Ones (5e) DMed by Reliq0770, and Rebirth of Power, DMed by Rukellian.

In August, Qiksilv and squirmonkey were announced as co-winners of Outplay, RPG Crossing's player competition. Thank you to all the competitors, and to the work of all the volunteers who organised and judged this fun-filled competition!

And on Dec 24, after four months of competition, this year's winner of Iron DM, RPG Crossing's gamemastering competition, was announced. Congratulations to Strangemund, and thank you to everyone who participated and contributed to make this amazing (and terrifying) competition take place!

And wow! As of the end of December, we are up to 1219 NPSG grads and going strong! Thank you to everyone who contributes to that amazing initiative!

I'd also like to give a shout out to everyone who takes a moment out of their day to welcome new members to our community - thank you!

And that's a wrap! Happy New Year and good luck in all your adventures in 2023! Now go play some games!*

I wish you all health and happiness in the year to come! Thank you to all our community members, and especially without whose financial support this community would not be possibleCS members, staff and other volunteers for an excellent 2023. I can't wait to see what 2024 holds!

- Mark / Birched

PS If you are running something on the site that I haven't mentioned, or if you see any errors or omissions, please send me a pm and let me know! I'll add it to my note this year and for future years.

*Unless, of course, you like lists, in which case you should take a look at the following just for fun, and then go play some games.

Users who referred the most new users who stuck around to make at least 10 posts in 2023. Thanks!
  1. David VanDyke (2 referrals)
  2. sierrafairies (1 referrals)
  3. Exeter (1 referrals) (TIE)
  4. Thebardstale (1 referrals) (TIE)
  5. Aras3 (1 referrals) (TIE)
  6. Qiksilv (1 referrals) (TIE)
  7. Elves23 (1 referrals) (TIE)
  8. Kaigen (1 referrals) (TIE)
  9. Dratoul (1 referrals) (TIE)
  10. Hoppitty (1 referrals) (TIE)
  11. Yoshimi (1 referrals) (TIE)
  12. gentlyepigrams (1 referrals) (TIE)
  13. Airroneous (1 referrals) (TIE)
Top ten most popular non-private threads (by new post count) in 2023.
  1. Tug of War 118: Tug of Warcraft--The Downers Campaign
  2. Tug of War 119: Septembers are for Oktoberfest
  3. Tug of War 117: A Banana a Day Keeps the Badgers Away
  4. Inn of the Last Home
  5. Tug of War 116: It's good to be home
  6. 100 Questions
  7. The Whistling Poke
  8. Word Mastermind
  9. Monsters, from A to Z
  10. The Drunken Grox
Top ten most popular non-private game threads (by new post count) in 2023.
  1. Tug of War 118: Tug of Warcraft--The Downers Campaign
  2. Tug of War 119: Septembers are for Oktoberfest
  3. Tug of War 117: A Banana a Day Keeps the Badgers Away
  4. Tug of War 116: It's good to be home
  5. Word Mastermind
  6. Monsters, from A to Z
  7. Chapter 2
  8. Spawning 26 YG 958- a diplomatic mission
  9. Group 2 adventure
  10. Morgan, Rilar
Top ten most popular game systems for new games advertised in 2023.
  1. D&D 5e
  2. Other
  3. Pathfinder 1e
  4. Pathfinder 2e
  5. World of Darkness (TIE)
  6. Traveller
  7. D&D 3.5e (TIE)
  8. Dungeon World (TIE)
  9. Numenera (TIE)
  10. D&D 3.5e (Forgotten Realms)
  11. Mutants & Masterminds (TIE)
Top ten users who gave the most reputation hits in 2023.
  1. bananabadger
  2. Ildrahil
  3. Elanir
  4. writelite
  5. PlaidPeregrine
  6. Mindsiege
  7. Admin Dirk
  8. Leviticus
  9. 97mg
  10. Humble Athena
Top ten users who received the most reputation hits in 2023.
  1. bananabadger
  2. lostcheerio
  3. PlaidPeregrine
  4. Fillyjonk
  5. Strangemund
  6. Corwin
  7. Elanir
  8. Yoshimi
  9. 97mg
  10. AnotherDragoon
Users with the most posts in 2023.
  1. Mindsiege (3974 posts)
  2. Corwin (3412 posts)
  3. PlaidPeregrine (3299 posts)
  4. Drachenspirit (3193 posts)
  5. bananabadger (3192 posts)
  6. JaDeX105 (3013 posts)
  7. Fillyjonk (2920 posts)
  8. Elanir (2590 posts)
  9. David VanDyke (2351 posts)
  10. Hotshot lasgun (2332 posts)
Top posts with the most reputation hits in 2023.
  1. lostcheerio
  2. DemonSlayer
  3. creed
  4. hafrogman (TIE)
  5. secretID (TIE)
  6. Gaijin
  7. Strangemund (TIE)
  8. HotsuSama
  9. hafrogman (TIE)
  10. rhaiber (TIE)
  11. Strangemund (TIE)
  12. MoldyNolds (TIE)
  13. O2CXt3 (TIE)
  14. writelite (TIE)
  15. Elanir (TIE)
Top ten forums with the most posts in 2023.
  1. Open Roleplaying
  2. Games Seeking Players
  3. West Marches
  4. Reluctant Heroes
  5. Dragons of a Broken World: A Dragonlance Age of Mortals campaign
  6. My Enemies Have Sweet Voices (Amber DRPG)
  7. New Member Introductions
  8. Solo Games Archive
  9. Tree Town of Solace (Players' Hub)
  10. General Discussion
Longest running games with posts in 2023 (ranked by age) -- also, when you are this old, any post counts.
  1. WLD: Kobald Love
  2. Dark*Matter: The Hoffmann Institute
  3. Elghinn Il'tess Wun l' Olath
  4. ridin's rooms
  5. Hall of Fame Games
  6. Earthen Works
  7. Freeport Adventures
  8. Private Threads
  9. Pokemon RPG v.2
  10. Project Pufffluff
  11. Mutants and Masterminds: Time of Crisis
  12. Marvel Universe
  13. Celestial Horizons
  14. Dark Sun
  15. The Jaded One
  16. GM Screen
  17. Avistad World Info
  18. Game World Creation Team
  19. Untitled
  20. In Service to Coramir
And by request, top all time posts by ranked by RPXP hits as of Jan 1, 2024.
  1. hvg3akaek
  2. Vahnscraze
  3. ridin gaijin
  4. Spiryt
  5. wodine
  6. Frodiddly
  7. Amy (TIE)
  8. ridin gaijin
  9. Founder Raj
  10. The Ellimist (TIE)

Top members with over 50 posts in the New Members forum to welcome new folks to the community:
  1. bananabadger
  2. Ildrahil
  3. Tigra
  4. Admin Dirk
  5. Leviticus
  6. Admin Choc
  7. HotsuSama
  8. Birched
  9. psuedenim
  10. Kenjitsu
  11. Dworin
  12. Hotshot lasgun