Game Thread Chapter 1 - A Beacon of Hope - Page 26 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > The Thunder of the Soul Forge
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Nov 28th, 2019, 11:00 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6559
Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald
The DeepwildRealization dawns on the goblins as their odds of survival are quickly approaching zero, and they desperately struggle to free themselves from their bonds. All of them fail to do so.

With arrow and dagger, axes and a brutal spiked fist, the dwarves quickly make short work of the remaining goblins. The one that was free to make an attempt to flee was quickly taken by arrow and dagger just before Thomdren moved around the group to deliver a vicious cut to the furthest one in the back, leaving Gromden, joyful Gromden, eager to baptize his armor, to step forward and deliver destruction with spittle and a smile.

With his axe, he guts the one to his left, then drops the terrible weapon and jumps on the last goblin, giving it a big battlerager hug. The poor creature shrieked in terror and pain, but was quickly silenced as Gromden entered The Shakin', holding tight and jerking his own body back and forth, letting the spikes and blades that made up his armor do the real work of rapidly disassembling the poor creature into a pathetic, stinking mess.

OOC:All is quiet.

Looking around at the gobbers, you find a familiar pouch with 6 gold in it on Gribbles. Gribbles also has a small book filled with arcane markings and formulae, it appears he was a fledgling wizard. The spells contained within are: Sleep, Detect Magic, Magic Missile, Charm Person, Alarm, and Silent Image. He also has a few sheets of high quality paper and inks appropriate for magic inscription (50gp worth). He also has a scroll with Alter Self. Gribbles also had a wand, a tiny bell, and a short length of silver wire.

The ogre has nothing on his person, but the goblins have a collection of silver and copper coins: 27s and 113c, and one of them has a wooden, box with a stylized e carved on the top. It is unlocked, and inside are a dozen small twigs, each with a tiny arcane rune carved on them.

Last edited by Karhald; Nov 28th, 2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 09:50 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 864
davkerrith davkerrith davkerrith davkerrith davkerrith davkerrith davkerrith
Baldrum Kegbreaker
right-aligned image

As they rummaged through the bodies, Baldrum felt that not things were safe, it would be better to introduce himself.

"Apologies for the rudeness, I got a little battle crazed there. Name is Baldrum, at your service," he says, a smile pressing through his red beard. As he does so, he kicks one of the corpses to see if it twitches. "Glad we ran into your lot, I think we might have been hard pressed to take on this lot alone," he followed after seeing the goblin not rise or flinch.

He brushed himself off and dumped what he gathered in front of the others. He nudged through it with his foot and shrugged. Disappointed, he had secretly hoped that a few of the awful little things might have had the mushrooms he was after. Of course they didn't, a worthless group of corpses if he had ever scene one. Glancing at the new comer woman he had seemingly known his name, and the two that they had joined in battle with, he took in what he could of them.

"What say you Thomdril, Bilner, quite an interesting lot we seem to have stumbled on, eh?"

OOC

Old Dec 4th, 2019, 11:25 AM
Ret.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20643
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Kata Cuatzo
Level 3 Moon Druid

When the last goblin feel, Kata pulled back her magic, causing the entangling vines to withdraw back into the ground, disappearing completely. Looking around at the others, the wild dwarf stood quietly and waited for the others, watching cautiously, unsure of how they would all react to her sudden appearance. When the first one spoke, and then no others, the dwarf grunted and rolled her eyes at his commentary, "Kata. Cuatzo. I am in search of a relic, of my people, and happened upon you several days ago. I did not know if you were friend or foe, so I watched, waited, until you needed my help, and proved yourselves, of course." Turning and looking at the others, the hunter's stare was indicative of her looking for introductions from the other dwarves, and small humanoid, that had come from the other end of the expansive cavern.

Old Dec 4th, 2019, 06:47 PM
Vökva Reykur

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6612
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Thomdril Deepvein
left-aligned image
"Casksplitter? Heard of tha' name, jus' cannae recall where..." Thomdril busied himself with retrieving his axes and collecting loot from the dead, handing Baldrum the box that was on one of the dead goblin's person, along with his other arcane paraphernalia. "What make ye o' this, eh?"

"Anyhow, Thomdril Deepvein, at yer service! An' we owe ye thanks as well, Cuatzo, don't we? Though I suspect ye've been with us fer quite some time now, aye? Sev'ral days, ye say? An' whot's this relic ye seek?"

Fat Thom then glanced and nodded at Pendo and her brother Gromden, who was a veritable force of nature in battle. He grinned at them, concurring with Baldrum's description. "Aye, friend; an interestin' lot indeed. What brings ye lot to th' Deepwild? The mad mage here's out an' about havin' a hankerin' fer mushrooms, while I'm here fer a good time. Heh! Figure more good times are comin' now we found ye!"

He finally noticed Bilner, who was hanging around at the back, inconspicuous if not for the settling of battle. "An' who might you be?"

Actions

Last edited by DanshiiWithWulfs; Dec 17th, 2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 12:30 AM
Mmmm, crunchy.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7465
Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer
"Perhaps you've had some of our clan's famous Dark Stout." Pendo suggested. "I don't know how else you might have heard of us, we
Dice Brazen Bluff! (I assume I have disadvantage here.):
2d20+7kl1 (9, 7 (keeping 7) )+7 Total = 14
Casksplitters are models of decorum and propriety."

She gathered her dagger and handaxe, and retrieved their refund from Gribbles' mutilated husk.

"Our diminutive companion is Bilner Darkbottom, Dwarffriend." she said by way of introduction. "He's not a halfling, despite any indications to the contrary." She looked at the wooden box trying to tell if the character carved in it matched the one on her ring.

"I'm sure you'd have handled this lot easily enough," she said, "if you'd be amiable to joining our group I'm sure we'd run into more mischief. I can't make such an assurance about mushrooms, but we're seeking the Founding Stone of Bhaerynden and I expect we'll travel deep beneath the Shaar."

OOC

Old Dec 5th, 2019, 07:19 AM
1975, lol
Good People  

Hall of Fame GM 2019

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24559
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Bilner Darkbottom
right-aligned image
Bilner nodded at the introduction he was given by Pendo but then decided his companions required a more gracious introduction. They were not just a pair of dwarves stumbling about the Underdark. This was Pendo and Gromden Casksplitter, the heroes of the caravan.

"This is Pendo and Gromden Casksplitter, Heroes of the Caravan, the famed Thundertwins! We travel the darkness below the sun on a sacred quest blessed by Moradin himself!"

The gnome then lowered his head and stepped back a pace hoping he hadn't overdone it a bit. This was Pendo and Gromden's quest. He was just along for the burglarizing. If they wanted to convey the specifics of their mission to strangers, he would let them make that decision.

Actions

Stat Block

Old Dec 17th, 2019, 08:25 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Baldrum Kegbreaker
right-aligned image

"Well, it seems the lot of us are together now. Thundertwins, Artifact Hunters, Mushroom Hunters and what not. If ye are amiable yerselves, I'd toss my axe in with ya. I'm all for more company myself, especially if we go a bit deeper, thats were the good ones grow. As fer yerself miss, Cuatzo, might good bit of tracking that were, didn't have even the slightest inkling you were out there."

Baldrum held up the book with its markings and waved it around a bit, with the scroll and sheets of paper tucked underneath it, the ink held in his other hand.

"If the lot of you don't mind, Id like to hold on to this lot. Less others among the lot of us can use it, but I could put it to some good use I'd think."

Flipping through the pages, he noticed quite a few worthwhile spells that he could make good use of, especially if they were staying out of civilization for a while.

OOC

Old Dec 17th, 2019, 06:17 PM
Vökva Reykur

Tools
User Statistics
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Thomdril Deepvein
left-aligned image
Despite not having heard of the names before, Thom was definitely impressed by Bilner's own introduction and his added introduction for the siblings. His grin grew wider, and he clapped Baldrum hard on one shoulder as he replied.

"Thundertwins! More titles! An' a sacred quest from Dwarffather 'imself! These be heroes 'ere, Baldrum-friend aye! Aye, I'm 'appy ta join ya, if ye need an axe. Findin' a Foundin' Stone o' Bar- Barry- whatever sounds much better than mushroom huntin', no offense brother. Plus tha' means more ale money, eh? Hah!"

Did she say deep beneath the Shar, though? Thom tried to ignore that part of the woman's comment. Baldrum then held up his new book, making Thom scratch his head. He didn't know much about magic; nor did he care for it. But Baldrum was a good friend, and his talents have often been helpful so far in their adventures.

"Well I nae be fightin' ye for it if tha's yer worry, mage. So we headed back ta town, then?"

Actions

Last edited by DanshiiWithWulfs; Dec 17th, 2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 05:21 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Baldrum Kegbreaker
right-aligned image

With introductions settled, and loot properly distributed, at least by his own reckoning, Baldrum didnt see much reason to dawdle and turned to the rest of the gathered party and pointed off towards the west.

"Well what says you lot, shall we press on then?" he said out loud, more of a statement then a real question.

Stuffing his new goods into his bag he turned towards the further extension of the cave and began to walk. It was quite silly for him to be taking the lead, but he figured the others would catch up to him more than quickly enough before he found himself assaulted by what he assumed would be more goblins.

OOC

Old Jan 5th, 2020, 07:19 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6559
Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald
Moving alongLeaving the scene of the slaughter behind them, the newly formed group of plus 1 gnomedwarves moves along the twisting, winding tunnels on the way to Bhaerynden. There was a deep and unwavering silence, broken only by the heavy footfalls of the party and the rattling of Gromden's spiked armor. They continued along the tunnels, making note of small stone markers bearing runes of direction, some of them broken and unreadable, but enough still whole enough to ensure that the group was on the right track.

After several hours of marching, their legs and feet begin to ache with fatigue, and their pace slows. Taking a short break to rest those weary legs, they hear the sound of a small, babbling river down one small side-cave, and see evidence of a small camp site that has oft been used by many different kinds of denizens of the Underdark. The main tunnel continues towards their goal, Bhaerynden, but that journey is yet many days of travel.

Kata senses a hotspot of life and natural activity around the small side cave, and upon looking around a boulder, a small pool of crystal clear water being fed by a very small waterfall is supporting a large patch of fungus and lichens, many of which appear to be edible, but require closer inspection.

The small cave winds up being a small cavern, with the pool of water in the center, numerous stalagmites and stalactites filling the area and providing numerous hiding spaces. No threats are apparent, and the quiet of the tunnels coupled with the presence of old campsites indicates that this could be a good place for a long rest.

OOC:All is quiet. Please roll a perception test and indicate if you want to rest. you still have a few hours of march left in your legs, but a nice hidey hole like this is a rare find in the Deepwilds.

Thanks for your patience, life is crazy as always, but I just had to get something out to you.

Last edited by Karhald; Jan 6th, 2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 09:04 AM
Ret.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20643
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Kata Cuatzo
Level 3 Moon Druid

Kata followed behind the others, finding value in the fact that the other dwarves, who were as foreign to her as she was to them, had accepted her without quarrel. She had meant them no harm. She had meant them much the opposite. They had seemed to be following the same signs and paths that she herself was traveling, that she must take to find the ancestral home of her and their people. Following the tunnels, spotting the markers, Kata knew that all must have been feeling the strain on her legs as much if not more than she when she picked up just the slightest scent of fresh water.

Her sudden halting drew the attention of some, and then all before she motioned silently for them to follow her. Diverging off the path just slightly, it was only a few yards of tight tunnels, ones fit for dwarves and other smaller creatures, until the tunnel opened up into a cave that could provide the group with not only much needed fresh water, but also a potential source of sustenance. "This looks promising," she said as she unslung her pack, dropping it to the floor of the cave, before digging into it to retrieve some supplies. "We should rest here while we can. The dangers ahead are unknown and it could be a while until we find such a spot," she added as she pulled a couple of small satchels from her pack.

Flipping one open, Kata reached out with her dagger to scrap some of the fungi from the stone. Dragging the length of the blade against the mouth of a bottle, she set the dagger down to retrieve a small vial from one of the satchels. Opening it and dropping a few drops into the bottle of water and fungi, she swirled it by her fingertips as she watched for a change in color. If there was one thing the dwarf knew she could discover, it was whether this lichen could kill a man or not.

Last edited by Saratek; Jan 6th, 2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 10:17 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Baldrum Kegbreaker
right-aligned image

The long walk had left Baldrum with two sore feet, and an attitude to match. The pace at which the others had been marching was a little less leisurely than he was used to, but he surely wasn't going to complained. He welcomed company on this trip, and having seen the lot of them in battle, his discomfort was outweighed by the amount of safety that he was provided. During the walk he had taken some time to pull out his portion of the haul and look it all over. The handwriting was atrocious, but one didnt often find goblinfolk that could write, so he gave the little bugger credit for that. He was absolutely certain that much of this was usable, and not only that quite worth hauling around. It wasn't often he would admit admiration for those stinky devils, but that some had taken the time to learn true magic, as basic as it might have been, was astonishing to him. But, those creeps had meant to jump and possibly eat himself and his new dwarven companions and that hadn't sat quite well with him.

Upon the direction of their foresty companion Kata, who had proved her worth simply by following them undetected for so long before making her appearance, he followed after her. Upon coming into the cavern itself, his eyes lit up. An unexpected bonus, the wondrous Kata had sniffed out an absolute hotspot of natural life, those of the fungi variety included.

"Bless yer eyes lass!" Baldrum exclaimed, as he dug out a detailed sketch of a variety of mushrooms from his satchel and charged over to the patches, holding it up, studying each carefully, hoping that he might find a match to his ongoing search.

With any luck, he might find a few handfuls of something worth its weight and brews and he could bring them back with him for his next batch.

Last edited by davkerrith; Jan 13th, 2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 09:14 PM
Vökva Reykur

Tools
User Statistics
Thomdril Deepvein
left-aligned image
As the group traversed the long, winding underground passages, Fat Thom was practising his diction. "Burundun," he rumbled. "Berenden... Bhaerynden!" The dwarf grinned, finally getting the sound of the word right in his mouth. "Why d'ye seek this Stone, then eh, Pendo? Tell us a tale!"

During most of their trek, though, the dwarves walked in silence. Thom was beginning to hate being underground even more when they decided to pause and rest for a spell. That was when he noticed the camp site beyond the bend, as well as the sound of a small river flowing somewhere near. Their journey would be several days yet, so they wouldn't have many chances like this; a rest seemed welcome. Yet the fact that this place seemed oft used by others made the dwarven fighter wary, and a tad fearful though he would never admit it. Thom knew the underbellies of mountains to be dark, cruel places; places where one can go mad, if he was not careful. He looked around with a hand on his axe, alert.

Kata seemed less guarded, as she dislodged her pack from her shoulders; she did walk to the pool that sat nearby and tested the waters with her druid ways, though. There were shrooms growing around the pool, and as expected, Fat Thom saw Baldrum's eyes light up at the sight of them. The quirky conjurer held up a series of drawings up against the fungi, probably figuring out if he could use them for his concoctions. "Ah, Kegbreaker, yer quest be at an end, aye? Nae be supposed ta brew somefink ta drink royt now, eh? Hah!"

The dwarf was smiling, but he still walked around the site even as he spoke, checking the shadowy corners to see if something was liable to ambush them or take them by surprise.

Actions

Last edited by DanshiiWithWulfs; Jan 6th, 2020 at 09:16 PM.
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 07:42 AM
1975, lol
Good People  

Hall of Fame GM 2019

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24559
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Bilner Darkbottom
right-aligned image
Bilner was tired. Who knew adventuring required so much walking? And the dwarves' pace was quick. Damn their long legs, he thought to himself as he trudged along behind.

When the wild she-dwarf called out that they had found a sheltered place to rest, the gnome was glad for the respite. Once camp was set he saw to it that his boots were off to allow his toes to air out. "I've heard tale of those who have forgotten to take their boots off only to find their toes rotted away. Not a fate I'd like to encounter."

Actions

Stat Block

Old Jan 13th, 2020, 01:20 AM
Mmmm, crunchy.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7465
Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer
Pendo
right-aligned image
"Oh, Kegbreaker are ye?" Pendo asked somewhat surprised as Baldrum's clan was mentioned, not expecting to find a distant cousin of her own clan on such a journey. "I hear tell that yer own clan's brews be legendary. Would that ye could make us sum'at t' slake our thirsts, but o' course the story of yer family's mystical skills o' concoction are exaggerated." She said. "We dinnae truely expect ye t' brew us nothin' here." Though she was quite hoping his ego was stoked sufficiently to try. Their clans had a somewhat traditional rivalry and she'd have enjoyed watching him try and fail to produce a beverage more palatable than plain water, but she wouldn't be overly perturbed if he succeded either.

"I think perhaps I could tell the story briefly." Pendo acquiesced to Thomdril's suggestion. "I don't know the tale as well as I'd like, but the story goes that many thousands of years ago. The elves drove their cousins the drow deep underground. As we all know elves and their kin are prolific, and oft indiscriminate in their ventures." She said, making little attempt at subtlety. "They made their way to the ancient stronghold of Bhaerynden, one of the first great kingdoms of the Folk. With so many, and the unexpectedness of the invasion they managed to overrun the city and ruled it as their own." She said, glossing over most of the embellishments she generally added to descriptions of great battles. She was more familiar with the ones where dwarves came out on top.

"They didn't last of course, some say it was their own vicious natures that did them in. Other say a great dragon came and crushed them under the dome of their stolen city. It hardly matters now, but we've been tasked with a sacred quest from Moradin himself to find the Heartstone of the once great city! A fell demonic force of corruption has opposed the All-Father and set its minion in our path, but thus far He's seen fit to have us escorted by a pair of his faithful. They left us just before we met you on the road, to escort an owl-lover of some import on another holy quest of some kind. But they prophesied your arrival as we parted, and we met just as foretold."

She pulled out the small pouch containing their toll-refund. "We had just paid the sneak-thieves, you Folk so helpfully dispatched, for passage across the gorge at which we met, where upon our companions departed with haste. Our group suddenly numbered only half and the dishonorable scoundrels decided we were ripe for plundering." She explained. "But by the grace of Moradin, you all arrived and muddled their ambush, so we were never really in any danger. And that's the story of why we had paid six gold coins for the crossing instead of only one apiece." She finished, passing Gromden and Bilner two coins each as their share of the extorted toll.
OOC