twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-16-2020, 11:25 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1336
AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ
I believe damage that can't be healed except by rest is called Burn, in Spheres. Also it might be good to say the bite works against helpless opponents, rather than explicitly requiring a pin maneuver. That way you can use it against opponents you've knocked out, paralyzed, etc.

The template mentions picking a single Sphere, then it also mentions of course gaining casting, which grants two spheres. Does that mean start with 3, +mid progression for 9 at 8th level?
I assume the template-granted initial Sphere is Power only, not Might.

Will there be any advantage to dealing bleed damage?
Are the PCs meant to be good/heroic in any sense?

Last edited by AlphaZ; 02-16-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:15 PM
Ghost

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20320
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaZ View Post
I believe damage that can't be healed except by rest is called Burn, in Spheres. Also it might be good to say the bite works against helpless opponents, rather than explicitly requiring a pin maneuver. That way you can use it against opponents you've knocked out, paralyzed, etc.

The template mentions picking a single Sphere, then it also mentions of course gaining casting, which grants two spheres. Does that mean start with 3, +mid progression for 9 at 8th level?
I assume the template-granted initial Sphere is Power only, not Might.

Will there be any advantage to dealing bleed damage?
Are the PCs meant to be good/heroic in any sense?
The wording used for the bite is identical to that used in the official PFSRD vampire template so it will stand as written for now. Pin is not a condition of feeding, merely the usual mechanism for doing so during combat. You can, of course, feed at will on a helpless or willing creature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Vampire Drain Ability
Blood Drain (Su)
A vampire can suck blood from a grappled opponent; if the vampire establishes or maintains a pin, it drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution damage. The vampire heals 5 hit points or gains 5 temporary hit points for 1 hour (up to a maximum number of temporary hit points equal to its full normal hit points) each round it drains blood.
The Vampire Template in Blood & Guts grants a single free Sphere of Power of the player's choice. It then grants Power Talents and a casting ability, which grants a bonus 2 Power talents if this is the first time the Casting ability is obtained, as normal. If you chose a Sphere Casting class for your regular progression, only one side can get these 2 bonus talents. (You pick which side gets it)

Note that you may select additional Power Spheres with these talents as normal, but keep in mind that Spheres you select with the Vampire Template can never be accessed via regular casting and vice versa. Talent progressions and Spell / Blood Pools will have to be tracked separately. Remember that the abilities selected with the Template should follow a Vampire theme and will be subject to GM approval before the start of the game.

The Vampire Template exclusively grants Spheres of Power. You cannot select might talents with the abilities granted by the Vampire Template. You may, of course, select a Practitioner or Champion class for your regular class progression as normal, however.

Bleed damage will not grant any advantage outside of its normal uses for Vampires since they did not do so for regular Vampires outside the parameters of this game.

I have not set any restrictions on alignment, and this was done deliberately. I do not intend for the game to be explicitly evil since I would like the characters to struggle with the loss of their humanity as their journey in the nocturnal world of vampires progresses. The player characters do need to get along, and their common goal to exact revenge may go a long way towards facilitating cooperation, but I am probably going to favor well written applications for characters who at least begin their story as relatively decent individuals. This is not a hard rule, however. I always favor well written, interesting characters so I am open to anything, really.

Last edited by LeoByron; 02-16-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:54 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6855
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
I think after being trapped and tortured for decades as undead thirsting with this unfulfilled hunger, they may all be mad or driven to evil seeking out their own revenge.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:19 PM
Ghost

Tools
User Statistics
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
I have added a map of the town of Strathmoor to the advert. More information about the setting coming soon as promised.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:21 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 549
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Name: Inaya Kaldri {and her new companion Vei}
Race: Human Vampire
Class: Incanter
Intended Role: Blaster/Summoner
Alignment: NG
Spheres: Conjuration

Other details pending on world information. I don't want to accidentally contradict any lore. My general concept is that of a virtuous, honourable mage: The sort of person who, even in undeath, strives to help others. I'm not sure whether that concept will mesh with a morally diverse group, though.

Last edited by Kaiya; 02-20-2020 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:08 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 62703
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Except for Sphere information/choices, Thistledown is done (unless I spot some minor edits/mistakes in grammar).

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...87#post8665987
Old 02-16-2020, 10:53 PM
Ghost

Tools
User Statistics
Added Settlement Statistics for Strathmoor:

Details about history, social structure and notable NPC's and features of the city coming soon.

Last edited by LeoByron; 02-17-2020 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:20 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Presenting Master Cho, an ambitious nomad from the east whose growing wealth and power threatened the rule of Strathmoor.

Last edited by AlphaZ; 02-17-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:53 PM
Pastel Goth Ki-Rin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1999
MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn
I'm definitely in the "I'm old and have never touched Spheres in my life" crowd, but the rest of the concept seems really immersive interesting. I might put something in.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:24 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Sorventh
Good morning,

I need to look through the spheres of power, but i have a couple ideas that i'm developing and will work on this afternoon
Old 02-18-2020, 05:30 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
As was mentioned before, don't let Spheres slow you down. You can make an app with a concept and we will Spherify it as needed.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:46 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 62703
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumUnicorn View Post
I'm definitely in the "I'm old and have never touched Spheres in my life" crowd, but the rest of the concept seems really immersive interesting. I might put something in.
I've touched them sometimes, usually by accident.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:14 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Sorventh
So i apologise for any issues with formatting, i'm still new to the site and typing from my phone isn't helping >.>

Bugaresh Oakheart
Half-orc

6'0" 200lbs
46 (including 20 of torpor)
Her skin was previously a bright spring green but is now thick and dark-brown like bark and her hair has turned to twigs (i'll upload an image later), though her eyes are still green.

Around those she trusts, Bug wears a breastplate of living steel that used to easily come off but is now nearly fused to her chest.
Around strangers, she glamours it to appear like druidic robes.

Class - Fighter (Titan Fighter) 1 / bloodrager 7+ (crossblooded: verdant/abyssal)
-- i would like to request unchained rage (i have a 3pp book that converts it that i can send you bit it's the same changes as the UC barbarian gets, but since we're undead the con boost from rage doesn't do anything)
Role - tank and damage dealer
Alignment: CN, she tries to be LG but has issues keeping her temper and corruption in check, especially when stressed

Sphere: Death (manipulate undeath and vamperic strike)
Drawbacks - painful casting, verbal casting, necromayic limit (reanimate)
--------

Last edited by Sorventh; 02-19-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:22 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9332
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Leo as always you make an advert and I cant stop thinking of possibilities. App incoming.

Ezekiel "Zeke" Hess
Race:Human

Class: White-Haired Witch 4 (Moon patron), Strong Style Grapler Striker 4

Intended Role: Battlefield Control, debuffer

Alignment: Was lawful good. Now? Well we will see.

Sphere: Weather sphere.

Sphere traits: greater weather, greater size, lengthened weather, severe weather, storm lord x2, rain lord, wind lord.

Personality: Zeke was a man devoted to justice even when it meant being in conflict with the law which is what ultimately brought him into the eyes of the vampiric lord. Kind, gentle, caring, and understanding were words used to describe the man by all who knew him but cautious and patient where words that most wouldnt expect to see anywhere in his lexicon. Before his death he charged headlong into every situation but twenty years is a lot of time to think, to reconsider, and to change.

After five years stuck in dirt with only the small shudders of his fellow prisoners and his own wracking hunger to comfort him he learned patience. Since then he has had fifteen years to plot, to cultivate and sculpt his rage into a weapon to tear down the gods themselves if it must. Now that he is free once more only time will tell if any of the man that was remains in the body of Ezekiel Hess.

Appearance: Despite being born and raised in the city Zeke is every inch the stereotypical mountain man. Standing well over six feet in height with red beard and brown hair flowing gently down to his hips the bear of a man had a disarming smile and an infectious laugh. Between the gruff appearance and mountains of muscle piled onto Zeke most people are surprised to find him to be a reasonably educated and intelligent man with a love of esoteric knowledge.

Before going into the ground Zeke held to a fastidious self cleansing ritual bathing thrice weekly and combing his hair out when he woke and before he slept every night. When merchants had it he would purchase and hoard pine resins to make into soaps and hair oils which gave him his distinctive earthy smell. His voice was strong, boomingly so, but its constant state of mirth made it more comforting than intimidating.

Having spent the last two decades in a hole in the ground devoid of comb, soap, or the ability to use either he would certainly frighten anyone he came across. His once carefully quaffed hair is now a rat's warren filled with dirt and insects of a thousand varieties. It would be fair to say he still smells earthy but now in the sense of smelling like grave dirt and the distinctive smell of mildew from too many nights of damp ground coating his corpse. It's also unlikely that his presence would do much to calm anyone. While he still has his slabs of muscle and his white teeth the muscles themselves have desicated from lack of blood to fuel them, looking more akin to a mummy than a proper vampire though that should clear up with time. His teeth arent going to pull off the disarming smile ever again though, unless someone finds inch and a half long needle sharp fangs to be disarming, then again succubi rarely get complaints so maybe there is hope for him yet.

Background: Born to a family of comfortably wealthy merchants the assumption from his birth was that he would go into the family business but ultimately that life was far too boring for him to accept. He enjoyed the education they were able to provide him but every moment of his spare time was spent going down to the local taverns and watching the organized fights the tavern keepers put on to draw in the crowds. He didnt want to become one of these punch drunk gladiators and didnt care a wit for the coin passing from elderberry stained hands, he came to learn to fight so he could fulfill his goal of becoming a member of the city guard and protecting the innocent people of Strathmoore. At twelve he broke the news to his parents who were understandably concerned but when they saw the determination in his eyes they couldnt say no, especially given the simple fact that they had other children who could take the business from them when they grew too old to fuss with it.

Determined to give their son every edge to reach his goal those bar brawlers were replaced by real trainers. Former adventurers who had visited his parents shop in their glory days now came to show the young Hess how to fight a variety of foes ranging from other people to giant beasts like bullets and hill giants. Two trainers took most of his time, a husband and wife duo comprised of an elven witch and a human brawler by the names of Ysidrial and Oman. Ysidrial taught him of her devotion and her connection to the moon. He trained day and night to master the subtle skills the moon bestowed upon him and before sixteen years of age he was able to form a pact with a most peculiar cat, expanding his powers to manipulate his hair like it were another limb and to create utter darkness with a surge of his will. Only when he made it to this passing level of competence was he entrusted into the brutal hands of Oman.

On the first day of his training Oman broke his arm in a hold that first dislocated his shoulder. The man had Ysidrial heal the boy before doing it again, and again, and again until Zeke was able to stop the motion that broke his arm but left him with the pain and impediment of a dislocated shoulder. Oman's training did have a method to it, even if it appeared to simply be torture at first. After the day was over he would explain how the attack was meant to be guarded, how Zeke had adapted, and ultimately how the two points could meet. The following day he would do the same move again until Zeke could reliably execute a counter or escape from it before moving on to the next series of vicious movements. Another four years of training and the husband and wife determined he was good enough to stay alive if he joined the guard and the next day he signed up for duty.

Compared to the training under Oman the guard drill captain was downright pedestrian with Zeke being deemed worthy of guard duty in under a month of the normal three month training and most of that was just learning the various and sundry esoteric laws of the city. While in the guard his skillS improved and he learned how to use both sides of his training in unison to bring down the deadliest threats he thought his home could face. Werewolves, trolls, goblin swarms and orc raiders all learned to fear Ezekial Hess and as he grew more comfortable in his strength and in the safety he knew he provided his town he began to notice something far more subtle that threatened the streets of Strathmoore.

Like clockwork every month one of the destitute vagrants who cluttered the poorest regions of the city went missing. Months turned into years as the decorated guardsmen spent every spare hour of his existence trying to find the cause. Time and again stories of a shadowy man coming and taking the person away in his arms like a father taking a tired child to bed reached his ears and with them came half remembered descriptions, vague recollections, and slivers of the truth that all kept leading him down a path he would have feared to tread were he a more cautious man. He finally took his worries to the guard captain not long into his twenty seventh year. The guard captain laughed in his face before telling him to focus on something more important than "A few homeless tramps" before setting him on perimeter duty which only served to amplify his concern.

With the guard captain failing to protect the people of his city Zeke took it upon his shoulders and only a few days later he knew where the noble lord would be looking for his next meal...

An honorable deathwip

Last edited by MundayKnight; 02-20-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:44 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Crunchy
Heya! Still have this old account and decided I wanna throw my hat in to some PBPs. Don't mind if I do!

Kaiser
Kaiser
The Maw of War

right-aligned image
Name: Anton "Kaiser" Harlock
Race: Human (Vampire)
Class: Shifter (Spheres version) (Famine Spirit)
Intended Role: Melee damage dealer, debuffer, and scout.
Alignment: CN
Spheres: Alteration (Vampire sphere), Death

Appearance:

Height: 5'11" | Weight: 90 lbs
Hair: Black
Eyes: Glowing Blue
Usual Attire: Old cuirass and trousers. Tattered cloak scarf. Shoeless and gloveless.

Kaiser exemplifies the horror of undeath. Unlike the vast majority of his vampiric kin, the Maw of War was not given the gift of eternal youth and beauty often associated with the blessing of immortality. Instead, the curse of famine and constant hunger has left the ex-warrior's body gangly, rotten, and spoiled - some horrible cross between a ghoul and an actual vampire.

Pestilent swathes of veiny corpse-white flesh hang loosely off of Kaiser's bones, giving him the overall appearance of an anorexic corpse. His greasy black hair is encrusted with two decades worth of dirt, and the black, putrid nails on his fingertips have elongated into sharp, spine-like claws. His lips have long rotted away to unveil a gaping maw of yellowed fangs, and his eyes have putrified into swirling orbs of necrotic energy.

Personality: In life, Anton Harlock was a spiteful, brutal, and free-spirited beast of war with an insatiable hunger for glory and infamy among Demetrious' bloodstained court. Anton truly believes that war is the highest expression of manhood, humanity in its purest form. He had the bravado of a prized gladiator - cocky, violent, a sore loser, and a burning hatred for authority when it doesn't suit his ends. He was self-proclaimed bloody Hand of Strahmoor himself, the Maw of War - though his inflated ego may distort his view of himself, he was known among Demetrious' mortal servants for being an ambitious man who loved conflict and status more than anything else.

In death, Kaiser's hunger for infamy and freedom over Demetrious became literal hunger. It is clear from the get-go that he isn't quite all there in the head. Over two decades of never-ending, gut-wrenching, bloodcurdling desire from his curse has driven Kaiser to the brink of insanity. Even free from his tomb, his mind has splintered to the point of fueling a constant battle within himself to keep his former personality intact against the pangs of bloodthirst. Much of his thoughts - those that are coherent, anyway - are consumed by bitter cynicism and dry humor, often at his own expense. The grief over his lost glory often translates into physical violence and impotent rage when intermixed with his hunger. It is his seething hatred for Demetrious and those loyal to him that keeps Kaiser walking the earth, in his attempt to turn his accursed famine towards vengeance against his former master.

Kaiser is violent. He was fierce in life, and he's even more brutal in death. Violence is a language anyone can understand. He'll often immediately resort to physical violence to solve every problem that others can't talk away first. He'll often resort to violence because he's hungry. He'll usually try to incite others around him to violence to fuel his own desire for chaos. Giving him a clear objective is key to keeping him from letting the hunger take control. Given his circumstance, Kaiser isn't opposed to fighting alongside others.

Anyone who isn't strong enough to keep Kaiser in check will often find themselves antagonized - whether because he is a salivating, maddened creature or because he's a proud warrior obsessed with his own infamy. No amount of torture and hunger diminished his ego, even after all the self-loathing is done. The curse of famine has only amplified his metaphorical appetite for infamy. At the end of the day, his only other goal beyond consuming Demetrious' court is letting the world know the name of Kaiser. He'll do whatever he pleases to make them remember. Everyone will remember.

Background: The gladiator-turned-mercenary known among the people of Strahmoor as 'The Kaiser' was among one of Lord Demetrious' notable mortal servants before becoming what he is now. Before coming to the Dark City, Anton Harlock rose from the ranks of slime in a far-off nation as a wandering gladiator. He'd raised himself off the land and learned how to swing a sword just right to put on a scarlet show for a thirsty audience. He was something of a joke among fight communities, both legal and illegal, for his constant reliance on showboating and 'crowd-pleasing' compared to his opponents, who often far out skilled him. But Anton had a way of intimidating his opponents with hunger, incessant, brutal hunger for attention. He'd do just about anything to get the mob to cheer his name. The howls of 'Kaiser' over the ring instilled him with a bloodlust that ended only when his opponent was dead and headless on the dirt. But even after engorging himself on the roars of the mob, he was still hungry for more. He was hungry for war. And there came the entity that would offer a banquet of blood to satiate that appetite.

The pit fighter fell in contact with human intermediaries claiming to represent a man named Demetrious, a solitary ruler of some far-off city known as Strahmoor. Demetrious spoke vicariously through his servants, praising Harlock for his talent and sharing the many stories he's heard of the Great Maw of the Pit. With these compliments came a proposition that Anton could not ignore. Lord Demetrious was in search of skilled warriors that would serve as lieutenants for Strahmoor's standing army. A lone city in the middle of a grim land was ripe for invasion by orcs, bandits, and marauders - the town required men with the gumption to spill blood in the Lord's name. In exchange for pledging himself as a warrior under Demetrious, Anton would be given riches and glory far exceeding the slime of the pit he toiled in now. He'd be given an elevated status for his service to the Dark Lord's court, putting him a step above the ordinary trash. Even more, he would be taught ways to transform himself into the beast of glorious warfare he always dreamed of becoming.

Anton, engorged and intoxicated on the attention he was getting, saw this as fate. By no means did he think some snobbish noble fop was going to seriously lord over him, but he saw it a platform to elevate himself to a higher level of infamy. Kaiser traveled to Strahmoor over a week and found himself immediately accommodated upon arriving at the dark city. Mortal servants attended to him as one would attend to a rabid dog, offering praises and messages from the 'higher-ups' while assigning him with all the necessary titles and benefits that came with his new position. Kaiser's suspicions were already lit aflame, intensifying further once he was offered an audience with more senior members of Strahmoor's supreme court. These lords and ladies had the countenance of ghosts - pale skin and hungry eyes watched Anton as he entered their halls, making blunt demands and questions regarding the legitimacy of this 'proposition.' They ignored him. Instead, they tested him.

The Lords of Strahmoor christened Harlock as their lieutenant following a series of 'tests' of his combat prowess. The pit fighter had never seen such creatures in his life but knew that they could spill blood, so killing them was no issue. In return for his service, he was offered much of what Demetrious mentioned his the deal - the name 'Kaiser' became known whispers in Strahmoor's alleys as the right hand of the city's shadowy lords. But they gave him a taste of what was to come - secrets of Death magic, which amplified his murderous prowess even further. A taste was all it took to bring Anton's head out of reality and into that fantasy-world of blood and glory he felt every time he stepped into the ring. Soon, he was no longer a pit fighter. He was Demetrious' personal attack dog. A tax collector. Judge, jury, and executioner. Any issue too little to be worth an expression of vampiric met was dealt with by Kaiser's ax. And, truthfully, he was meant to be just as expendable as a hound should be.

Unfortunately, Kaiser didn't know his place. He wanted more. He was still hungry. He overstepped his boundaries one too many times, chopped too many heads, and made too many backhanded remarks regarding who the true master of Strahmoor was. Like an actual rabid dog, as time went on, he became increasingly difficult to keep in check. The power he'd accumulated in Strahmoor thus far meant that merely killing him was going to prove difficult. But Kaiser realized that Strahmoor was his playground. Even after his insults and suspicion, he knew that Demetrious would do nothing to him so long as he upheld the ideals of domination - so long as he had fun doing what he pleased and exercising his strength to the world.

That's what Kaiser thought to himself. Sent to the distant village beyond the pale of Strahmoor to eliminate a supposed conspiracy against Demetrious, Anton realized too late the mission was a setup, removing him from the city so that the Lord could dismantle the resources and connections he had built from nothing. Surrounded by pale corpses and agents of the Dark Lord, Kaiser flew into a blood rage that cost him his weapon, his badge of office, and his mouth - with one sword to the jaw. Kaiser was dragged, kicking and screaming bloody murder of Demetrious' name, towards Strahmoor in chains. He was defeated.

Demetrious didn't just want to curse him with endless hunger. He wanted Kaiser to learn his lesson, to punish him for ever thinking that he could ever usurp the throne of Strahmoor. Anton's story didn't end when the door to the prison was flung open, and his chest met the tip of the vampire's pike. In the last moments of his life, Anton finally got a look at the face of his 'master,' the vampiric bastard who couldn't even bring himself to kill the pit fighter personally. The last thing Anton Harlock could recall doing before the 'end' was hocking a wad of blood and spit into Demetrious' eye.

In return, Anton Harlock was given a curse. A personal curse. One that Demetrious had concocted from the bottom of his still heart. The vitae that flows through Kaiser's corpse was tainted with magic that even a vampire would not dream of inflicting on any creature, mortal or otherwise. Still heaving and breathing, buried alive, Anton felt his body begin to slowly atrophy, and his flesh begins to twist. He awoke in his tomb, howling and screaming, feeling his own innards dry up and begin to ingest themselves. The hunger that gripped him was so far beyond the famine that gripped his fellow 'dissidents' that some said the Maw of War's screams could still be heard above ground near his grave. Flesh. He wanted flesh. Supple flesh, but his body was too tightly packed for him to eat his own. It hurt too much for him to sleep. So all he could do was scream.

And for the next twenty years, Kaiser screamed for blood. He cried for vengeance.

He screamed in despair because he knew that the only meal in the world that could sate this hunger was Lord Demetrious of Strahmoor, and every single vermin that ever served him.

Because he would never be satisfied until he consumed the power that cursed him so.

Last edited by Crunchy; 02-20-2020 at 03:17 PM.