Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Serenity > Requiscat in Pacem: A Serenity Game
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4540
GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter
After a few hours of relative relaxation, the autopilot beeps in the cockpit and Deacon jumps back into the cockpit. The instability of the Firefly suddenly becomes obvious, shaking and juddering as the ship's speed reduces and Deacon reduces its altitude. A backblast shunts the ship to oneside violently, forcing a second pass at the landing pad. Fortunately this one prevails, and with a speedy, violent thud, the ship hits the ground and settles onto its struts. Down in the forward hold the front ramp hisses open to reveal a tired-looking bureaucrat standing in front of the bay with a clipboard and a sharp-brimmed bowler. He looks quite bored and stands waiting for anyone to come out.

Last edited by GrimDarkOtter; 08-27-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:58 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36130
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Hival, having stayed put in the engine room and managed to catch an hour or two of sleep during the autopiloting, was at full attention during the descent. He noted which parts were under more stress than usual for the landing, and set to memory what all didn't go smooth during the first pass at the pad.

Once they were on solid ground, and there were no immediate fires to put out or smoke signals to discern from within the ship, he waited by the exit ramp, toolkit in hand, for anyone else to go outside. To whomever decided they needed what passes for fresh air the fastest, he tapped out what was on his mind. "Checking. Landing Gears."

oocYeah, any crew member goes out, Hival will go along, and promptly let that person deal with the bureaucrat.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Watching, always watching

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22754
Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos
Hu Li waits impassively through most of the landing, giving only two hisses of a quick intake of breath; once when the first landing is misses and again when the ship thuds to a jarring stop. She pats Deacon once on the shoulder.

"Givin' that 'any landin' you can walk away from' bit a right thorough test, huh?" she asks in a harmless voice as she walks out of the cockpit and toward the cargo bay and landing ramp. She nods once in response to Hival - damn if every gorram piece of this ship wasn't about to fall apart.

At the sight of the man with the bowler waiting on the tarmac, she strips off her jacket and tosses it onto a nearby crate before lighting a cigarette and walking down to meet him, pulling the band out of her hair as she does and allowing it to fall free around her shoulders.

"Evenin'," she says with a grin as she comes to a stop in front of him, just a hair closer than she needs to be. "Something I can do for you tonight?"

Last edited by Nimlos; 08-27-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter GrimDarkOtter
The otherwise bored-looking bureaucrat perks up visibly as Hu Li approaches. Straightening his ragged vest he clears his throat and says "Hrm. Yes, sorry miss, I just need to have the captain of this boat sign off on the landing pad manifest and declare any cargo you might be offloading." He holds the clipboard out, just a sheet with columns for ship's name, captain's name and date/time. "Just 'cuz it's near nightfall don't mean we ain't gotta go through the motions. Apologies again, miss."

Hival's basic inspection shows that despite the ship's terrible handling and turbulence, Deacon's piloting was graceful enough to keep any more damage from occurring. The gear are all undamaged, and the spot-welds Hival has made held remarkably well.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:27 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Reaching out her hand, Hu Li takes the clipboard from the man in the ragged vest with a wink but not a word. She rests it in the crook of her left arm, looking over the sheet for a moment while spinning the pen like a propeller between the fingers of her right hand.

"Rules is rules," she remarks softly, still looking at the paper. "Same all over the 'Verse." Just as she puts pen to paper, she glancing up at him, grinning slightly. "How about you, then, friend? You got a name?"

While he answers - or tries to - she starts filling out the paperwork. She has no idea what Sullah intended to name this piece of luh suh, but it doesn't matter much. In fact, the farther off the better. With a shrug of one shoulder, she writes down Last Call as the name of the ship and her own name as captain.

"Don't aim to be offloadin'," she tells him, handing the clipboard back. "Just lookin' for a friendly spot to pass the night."
Old 08-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8813
tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar
After a few hours of well-deserved sleep Tabitha descends into the cargo bay and surveys the bureaucratic theatre going on between the newly anointed captain and the port official. She passes by the two, smiling at the man and surveys the new landing site. Next she turns her attention towards the still unnamed Firefly, patting the hull appreciatively.

You did good, girl.

OOCI'm still waiting on a name and place from the Chuckster but in the meanwhile Tab'l explore the environs a bit.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:42 AM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Hival waits until just the right moment, one where Hu Li is glancing at him and the port official is looking at papers, to motion towards the primary landing gear and then give the thumbs up indication that there's no issue with at least that one part of the ship. He adjusted the kerchief around his neck, made sure all his tools were in place, and took everything he brought outside back into the Firefly.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:03 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9746
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Devon snores loudly from where he lays on the grav cart.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:13 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
"Chessyk, miss. Julian Chessyk." the bureaucrat stutters, taking back the paper and not even checking its accuracy. "Closest place if you're looking for room-and-board is the Eight-Ball" Pointing with one inkstained sleeve, Hu Li sees through the light of dusk a lit round sign colored like its namesake. "We don't have a lot otherwise, we're mostly just a grain transhipment point. But you probably already knew that. Ummm is there anything else you need? Maybe that I can help with?"
Old 09-01-2010, 12:39 AM

Tools
User Statistics
"Much obliged, Julian," she responds, taking a long look at the glowing sign for the Eight-Ball. "Reckon we might take a look there. Expect we'll see you?"

She gives him a small smile tinged with a bit of nervousness after he asks if there's anything else he can do. "Well, don't want to be troublesome, but if ..." she trails off for a moment, shaking her head, then, as though she's changed her mind, reaches out to place her hand on his forearm. "You can see your own self my ship's in a powerful state of mess. Been a bit of a streak of bad luck recent-like, and got me a couple bill collectors tryin' to latch on me like ticks and suck out what I got left. It does me hurt to ask, but I'm wonderin' if there ain't some way you can wait until we lift off in the morning before you log that sheet there? Would make me mighty grateful for such a kindness."
Old 09-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
"Why certainly, miss." Chessyk says, touching the brim of his hat, "There ain't but two Coretex terminals in town to log it on anyways, and they're probably closin' up soon. I'll just take my time about it and no one'll know any different. I can log them first thing real easy."
Old 09-06-2010, 12:42 AM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
Hival heads towards the cockpit in search of Deacon. Typespeak follows, to no one's surprise. "Landing Gear. Fine. What do you. Want. Examined. On ship. First."

Last edited by zevonian; 09-06-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:47 AM

Tools
User Statistics
"I'm surely in your debt, Julian," she tells him with a smile. "That's a piece of mercy. I tell you - we see you down at the 8-Ball and I'll buy you a drink. Help make up what I owe."

While Julian turns to leave, she stands and waits, smiling and giving him a wave if he glances back, then directs her attention to the ship and crew that have suddenly become hers.

"Hival," she begins, her voice quiet. "Just had a thought ain't sittin' well on my belly. Reckon you could take another look at that case, tussle out for me if she's got a bug in her sending our location to folks we don't know?"

Afterwards, she walks back up the ramp into the loading dock and keys the shipwide comm. "Looks to be we landed someplace full of unsavory types like our own selves. Leave for everyone wants it. Square your gear and come on down."
Old 09-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Feels Bad for Corona Beer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11841
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Deacon had been relaxing when Hival joined him in the cockpit. The familiar sound of the computerized voice followed, as expected. Hival inquiry caused Deacon to pause a moment and think, the look of contemplation on his face before he spoke up, “I’m not sure. Guess you could figure out what happened with the ship that caused it to rumble like it did. Old girl got a bit squirrelly there for a moment, but I tried to do what I can so as not to cause any more damage with the harder than usual landing.” Deacon stood up and raised his arms as to display the cockpit, “Up here there isn’t much to do unless we get the parts we need. You can take a look around, but I doubt you’ll find anything to really do.”

Just then the shipwide comms picked up the new captain and her message to the crew. A big grin formed on Deacon’s face. He walked past Hival, patting him on the shoulder, “Don’t go messing my settings up, just got this girl dialed in to how I like her.” He passed by Hival and straight to his new bunk he had moved into during the couple hours of autopilot. Slade’s former room wasn’t any bigger than any of the others, but it was private which meant plenty of more space for all the clothes and less of Hival’s odd behavior most of the time. Couldn’t blame the guy for not being much of a talker given his mechanical mind though.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:23 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
Hival decided to leave the cockpit immediately, realizing he wasn't wanted there. He never really asked why Deacon didn't care much for him, he just assumed it was because they preferred different brands of shiny suits. Happening upon Hu Li again, all he could bother to tap out was, "Show Me. Case. Again." He reckoned that the package was in her room, and he wasn't about to go down now there unless given a proper invite.

Last edited by zevonian; 09-06-2010 at 12:30 PM.