Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Serenity > Space Odyssey
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-28-2014, 12:59 AM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6033
GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen
Earth thread

as the storyline goes in our game Earth was destroy and in RL we are on earth so...

Last edited by GodRosen; 09-04-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:00 AM
Evily Adorable

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3270
Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor
Hooray
Old 08-28-2014, 01:00 AM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen
lol damn your fast I JUST put this up lol. were you watching me? lol
Old 08-28-2014, 01:37 AM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
Hextor I requested the game did a PM search to find the mass info about the living material then for the storyline you said I needed and I really don't want to PM search for them again it was annoying the first time. I would think there would be a way to view what I put into the boxes when I requested the game do you know how to do that?
Old 08-28-2014, 02:15 AM
Evily Adorable

Tools
User Statistics
Hextor, god of tyranny and destruction, sees all!

And what exactly do you want? I have the PMs saved. I can post... everything
Old 08-28-2014, 02:19 AM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
lol the page long info on solely the Living Material.
after that mail you were saying I still need a setting referenced star wars and everything
I need my reply includes how earth fell out of orbit and fried by the sun.

so I need the Living Material PM and the Setting PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:34 AM
Evily Adorable

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodRosen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextor
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Rosemary and thyme.
Oh, wait, not that kind? I'm mentally and physically drained to zero. If you can think of how you see the setting, it would help. I'll reread the stuff you sent me after I've slept. Also, I suggest looking over some of my adverts to get a sense of format and maybe give your imagination a massage.
Game Name: living Material
Theme:
Flavour:
I don't ever remember which is which they seem like one in the same thing to me. so like one of them should be space travel
Plot Summary: In this universe there is a Rare Material that has an intelligence of its own but the reason its a material instead of a living species is because it does not need to breath, eat, or anything else living species must do to survive. Now this Material was placed inside a starship which gave the starship a personality and with this personality it gave itself the right to choose who it wanted aboard its deck. A typical crew consists of a pilot, captain, tech (works the programming part of comuters), engineer (fixed internal components of computers), medic, and gun expert. Now the starship gives each crew member a special power that fits with his or her position in the ship.

The pilot: To best describe the pilot I will be referencing it to that of driving a car. When you drive the car you have to look out the front windshield and look behind you in the rear view mirrors, a racing game gives you a bird's eye view of the vehicle, and then it is not uncommon to find stories of cars being the living species of the world. As the pilot you get to fly the star ship in what ever point of view you like.

The Captain: The captain has the ability to speak to his crew through telepathy so if he has an idea to get him/her and the crew out of a jiffy and the enemy must not know he shares his/her idea with the crew through telepathy

The Technician: can teleport to and from the ship to and from a planet, the ship is orbiting, without having to tell the ship to do so. but he has to tell the ship for everyone else so essentially the tech is the last one off the ship and the first one on it.

The Engineer: since the engineer has to work around live wires he has immunity to electricity.

The Medic: Since the Medic has to work on different species of intelligent species she has immunity to many sicknesses

The Gun Expert: Now the starship doesn't actually have guns it has a dome of which the living material takes the form of a gun on this dome. Now the ship can take on different types of guns one is machine gun like small bullets but fast rate of fire, tank like with big bullets but slow rate of fire, and lastly one in between. Now the gunner has a second site for the gun dome and the movement his hands make determine what gun form it takes on and when it fires.

The Living Material is thousands of on millimeter in length balls that hover away from each other and everything thing else. The Living Material is a quick study on learning new languages so any novice of beginner programmer or hacker can be the technician for the ship. The Living Material also provides a shield for the ship it dissipates electrically attacks such as that of a laser and is only knocked out of balanced. The Living Material is kept in a chamber at the bottom of the ship. Now until the living material is needed it stays in its chamber this includes its shield which only comes out right before a projectile hits the ship and it successful stops the projectile. The Living Material also takes the form of tools that the medic or engineer may need.

how's this for the Plot?
I think it defines the substance. It doesn't define the game. Also, I don't think you need to define the ship's crew. People should know what a captain/pilot/etc are. If not, I'd be surprised they made it to this site. Plot should be more about the story and characters. Also, you have me listed as a DM. I imagined myself as a player.
ah yes that is true your a player ok but I will reference you since I am new to this system so you know. it seems pretty simple so once I have the rules down I think I will be ok but to start out with I don't know everything just yet. so edit time: delete " A typical crew consists of a pilot, captain, tech (works the programming part of comuters), engineer (fixed internal components of computers), medic, and gun expert." so the paragraph now says " In this universe there is a Rare Material that has an intelligence of its own but the reason its a material instead of a living species is because it does not need to breath, eat, or anything else living species must do to survive. Now this Material was placed inside a starship which gave the starship a personality and with this personality it gave itself the right to choose who it wanted aboard its deck. Now the starship gives each crew member a special power that fits with his or her position in the ship."
now as for the story as you are my starting player it determines where you end up at when we recruit cause you mentioned space pirate :P. now I will allow alien races with special powers like one who breaths both under and above water but I don't want the alien races to be too powerful. thoughts?
as for you. I know I shouldn't write your background story but how would you like to work your planet's version of an area 51?
I think I have a good way to go about this. Its the way I typically build my games and worlds. (I start small, with what I know I want.) I'll present a few questions of sorts. You don't have to give me the answers, its just supposed to get your mind thinking. So far, the facts are that humans exist and space travel exists.

Do you intend to use our current time line, and extend human history in to a period where space travel is prominent or do you intend to use a timeline of humans from a different galaxy? To relate, think of what you know and think of George Lucas's Star Wars that initiates with "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away..."

You'll also want to think of technology. Are the machines like what we use today, or are they more intuitive and sleek like in a super futuristic sci-fi? Or are there problems with the tech, like its antiquated but they have no choice to use it because there is little way to improve it?

Do you want your game to be high fantasy, like an old school Dungeons and Dragons game, or are you going to look to make it more realistic, or even really gritty?

Are there genres you can liken your game to? What about movies, television, or literature that inspired this idea or anything you'd see yourself using in the game?

I feel like you are trying to grab at your specific idea of the special material, but if you do have the setting already figured, then let me know. Feel free to do some Googling if you're unsure about this. Don't be afraid to borrow ideas or material from existing sources.
ok I did some thinking I think if I understand you right your looking for something like this?

The Living Material is only found on 1 of every 200 planets with an intelligent species on them. Earth was one of these planets. Many people were jealous of planet's earth acquiring of Living Material as they had only reach the moon and putting life on mars was MUCH easier than star travel. So the Universal Counsel tried to confiscate the Living Material from Earth and war broke out. Earth won, but not before it was too late it was noticed an increase of people were dying and up to 12% of the planets population was gone since the discovering of the Living Material. It took 3% more of the population for scientists to realize that light from the sun no longer takes more than 8 minutes to reach earth but under 7, Earth was thrown off its orbit around the sun. After inquiring the Universal counsel about Living Material they found out that a Living Material starship within an orbit of a planet or on a planet's surface when it star travels pulls the planet off its orbital spin. After many ships and traveling the last of the 60% of Earth's population before the war was safely found new homes, by the intimidation of new fancy Earth starships. It has been a couple Centuries where earth is now one with its sun. After the Humans of earth war against the universal counsel a law was made for the counsel to never try to take a Living Material ship away from anyone who has found it, even if it is a single person. This rule does not apply to those who have made criminal or war declaring attempts against the Universal Counsel. The Counsel figured since the ship chooses its crew it has the right to say with its crew. Now our story starts on a planet that has little technology activity and when approached by the Universal Counsel has denied the use of technology so this planet is where they put space criminals. The Living Material starship which has crash landed here killed its crew before doing so it did not like the actions it was being forced to do nor the people it was transporting from point to point. It has all purpose and intent to die alone on this planet.

high technology but Living Material is the better technology and like with all technology it has its flaws. no magic. different species of intelligence allowed. anything else that anyone may ask? oh yeah stats umm novice above average but not by much. and that's all I can think of.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:35 AM
Evily Adorable

Tools
User Statistics
Should be all there.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:41 AM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
yes its there thank you much

ok and before I place it as our first post to the game thread what should be the ratio of planets (its one out of # of planets with life on them)? how many known planets are there and how many Living Material star ships are there in perfect good usuage noting that there are half a dozen on a planet (give or take one) and also note that ships like yours have dropped off the face of... well the galaxy.

Last edited by GodRosen; 08-28-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:38 PM
Evily Adorable

Tools
User Statistics
Post all that in to an information or story thread. You can use that thread to build upon the setting. Game threads should remain all in character.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:34 AM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
ok
Old 08-29-2014, 12:58 AM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
How's that?
Old 08-29-2014, 12:59 AM
Evily Adorable

Tools
User Statistics
Great!
Old 08-29-2014, 01:04 AM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
ok can you double check my work I think I changed all universal to galactic but there IS that chance I missed one. and I also made a few edits here and there made the sentences flow better added stuff to the end as well all those good too?
Old 08-29-2014, 02:14 AM
Evily Adorable

Tools
User Statistics
Good. I say keep playing around with it. It will help you work it out and see what works. We can discuss anything if need be.

On that note, I'm prepared to make a character... Think I might play a sassy black chick who has to dress like a nun in order to hide from the mob...