Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Serenity > Space Odyssey
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-04-2017, 09:41 PM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6033
GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen
I am Co-DMing a 5e game with Duke called Warriors of Vault 13. Its about hunting down and collecting evil artifacts.

I am running a game called Space Odyessey its a slow posting rate but my one player got PotM. So its slow enough that you can work on making a great post. As the title suggests the storyline is in outer space.

I am a running called Plant Magics. We are taking real life plants and see what magical properties they would have.

Then I am running a game calles The World of Arrietty. Its a Modern D20 game. The PCs are 2-3 inches tall living in the modern world. (based of the Arrietty movie(s))

Then I am in a few games as a player. Let me know what interests you. Ask questions you may have. I gave like the bare minimum of info I hope that is not a problem.

~Rosen
Old 02-09-2017, 02:46 AM
Mmmm, crunchy.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5437
Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer
Ahh, I remember reading the Borrowers books when I was little. As a matter of fact I remember The Littles from an even younger age. That sounds like it could be pretty cool, though I'm totally unfamiliar with d20 modern. I only know a few people who play it and the only one who will usually run it is running two overlapping Pathfinder games and a 7th Sea game right now in between his full time job. He had to drop from a DFRPG campaign I was running because he had too much on his plate. IRL fire + inconsistent attendance killed that game shortly thereafter.

Plant magics also sounds cool, but I've got very little info to go on there.

Are you saying you only have one player ATM for Space Odyessy? If you have need of more for that I could probably get onboard with it. Though I usually enjoy listening to/reading space based game than playing in them. They tend to be a bit crunchy for my taste.

Warriors of Vault 13 immediately brings to mind Fallout. It doesn't really jump out at me.

For some reason I totally missed your secret text until today. I'm open to joining any of these if you need an extra player, though I tend to favor story driven systems over heavily mechanical ones. I do advocate playing by the rules though, and being directed and open about any house rules. I also favor systems that have a heavier influence in player choices over random chance. Most d20 based systems tend to be more swingy than I care for but it's what I end up playing most of the time anyway.

As far as story goes they all sound interesting; the only one I'd have any familiarity with is the Arrietty one, I'm presuming you mean the Studio Ghibli movie. Though the plant game caught my interest too, my mom is an amateur botanist and I've picked up a lot about plants without trying.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:21 AM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen
I was wondering when you would come visit

So let me start bombarding you with info.

Space Odyssey and its player count is quite a story

So there is that. Also, you happen to be in the Space Odyssey Game Folder right now. If the game interests you then
Game thread with Hextor: Link
Game thread with (mostly) Nycro: Link (Yeah, You saw that right. Opening post dated March... Of 2015. With only 33 posts. Like I said. Slow game, but enjoyable)
Story Thread: Link

Arrietty: While yes it is modern D20 the system is there just so there is some mechanics. I don't think any system really prepares a group of players for playing as tiny people. So most of what we do in this will probably just be "Does it make sense in real life?" at this time I have 4 players so it has a comfortable number of players for me. But I can take on one more. Also to give a little more detail. Little players in a modern world trying to use "big people" stuff to survive. I am going to have the setting of these miniature people set in the house of a gamer. Like a D&D or Pathfinder gamer. Plastic miniatures, dice, snacks readily available, and anything you might be able to think of being in a gamer's house.

I save the best for last

Plant Magics: While Space Odyssey has been on a hiatus I have started with Nycro a new game, Plant Magics. I did try a recruitment for it but it flopped like a dying fish when no one actually put forth an application. They wanted to talk and discuss ideas for it, which I loved, but no one actually came forth with an idea .
As for the game idea behind it. I may not have a set storyline to follow, nor do I have a concrete world but I have a general idea when promotes my players to build on the world with me. Plant Magics consists of one of 4 things: its name, design, legend, or its meaning. A couple of examples:
The Strangler Fig is an example of plant magics by design of the plant. In real life a Strangler Fig will strangle a tree to death than take its spot. When magic is applied to any plant it can expedite its growth. Use this benefit wth a Strangler Fig and in a matter of seconds you have entangled a person in a tangle of branches and they won't be going anywhere.
The Snapdragon is an example of plant magics by name. With a simple snap of one's fingers can conjure up a full blown, fire breathing, DRAGON.
The Willow Tree is an example of plant magics by legend. In real life "Taoist witches use a small carving made from willow wood for communicating with the spirits of the dead" so in plant magics one with willow tree magic can communicate with the dead.
Then the final example
A Rose, an example of plant magics by meaning. Seen with ministers, priests or anyone else who hosts a marriage. The Rose will hold a couple's true to their vows.
Then sometimes there maybe plant magics you can come up with that maybe doesn't match with the 4 reasons of plant magics. Take for example the Dicksonia. Its magics will take a person's mind into the past. Why does it do this? Well in real life this plant has been around since the Jurassic times. This plant is one of the past and so takes one into the past.

Then I have background story about the existence of plant magics.

So....
What do you think?
Old 02-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Mmmm, crunchy.

Tools
User Statistics
Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer Cereal Nommer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodRosen
I got 2 players recruited from the place I worked. They quit their job and stopped talking to me and having logged onto the site since.
Just for future reference, you might want to phrase that differently. It's a terrifying thing to hear from a potential DM.

The plant magic thing sounds cool, but I don't know if I'd be comfortable with the mechanics of it. I'm all for collaborative world building and freeform plot structure. But it almost seems like the magic system is nearly arbitrary. Is there any cost/benefit relationship with the plant magic? Or are you restricted to a single plant family when you create a character?

I want to read through what's in the Space Odyessy hand, but it might take me a little while. When I have some free time I'll give it a look.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:13 PM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Nommer View Post
Just for future reference, you might want to phrase that differently. It's a terrifying thing to hear from a potential DM.
What do you mean? Also Having was suposed to be haven't. My apologises.

Those 2 friends of mine I met in RL and got them to play on here are real mean people. Because we were friendsn planning on roommating together. They quit their job and it was like our friendship didn't matter afterward. I maybe just a little bit saltly about that.

For plant magics its a little old so I may end up doing some changes that will make more sense. We can discuss it if you want. So the family plant is the one you are most in sync with. Other plants you can use their magic but exotic or powerful plants are really hard to utilize. But necessities (apple tree, carrots, ect) can be used. If you have other questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by GodRosen; 02-09-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Mmmm, crunchy.

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodRosen View Post
What do you mean? Also Having was suposed to be haven't. My apologises.
All of those apologises at accepted. I just meant that the way you put it seemed to imply a causal relationship. That after you started being their DM they ceased all contact with you, going so far as to quit their jobs.

I didn't think that was actually the case. I don't even know where to start with the things I'm not sure about with the plant magic. I don't know what I don't know.

I haven't gotten to reading up on Space Odyssey yet.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:24 AM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
So my single player, Nycro, with the same info you have was able to do up this beautiful game post to start the game with.
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?t=168414
What do you think of it?
Old 02-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Mmmm, crunchy.

Tools
User Statistics
Ugh, I have to read it when I'm somewhere quieter. Noises here are distracting me too much to process it.

It's going to take me forever to catch up on Space Odyessy.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
its not that long. And its not going anywhere ATM.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:32 AM
Mmmm, crunchy.

Tools
User Statistics
Space OdyessyI looked at the thread and for some reason thought the 1,188 replies were in The Galactic Council. I was thinking I had to set aside time to read a novel length saga. I had to look again when you said it wasn't that long, I'll probably try to read through it this weekend. I might not completely catch up on that OOC thread though.

Plant MagicI read through it, but I feel like I'm missing something. I should probably read through the OOC thread too.

At first I kept reading Lambsear as "lamb sear"; it took a while before I realized it was Lamb's ear. I would expect it to have healing powers and be soft and fluffy mostly. But is the Lambsear family only in sync with that one particular plant?
Or can they use other plants from the Lamiaceae family?
Or perhaps it's based on names, could they use lamb's quarter? What about vegetable sheep?

Why are apples and carrots considered necessities? Is it just domestic varieties, or do wild apples and wild carrots count too? What about near relatives of these "necessity plants"?
Or is difficulty of use based on how common a plant is in your area?

Sequoias in a desert is kind of odd. And it seems like the plants are sentient, or maybe semi-sentient. Am I reading that right?

Last edited by Cereal Nommer; 02-11-2017 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Clarifiying what subject I'm talking about.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
I wouldn't worry about reading the OOC from either thread. most of it is idle chatter not related to the game.

Yes only in sync with that particular plant. Other types under the same family can have different magical abilities. Take for example the willow tree. The willow tree has a different power than the weeping willow tree. The willow tree talks to the dead. The weeping willow does rehabilitation on criminals.

Food and shelter are necessities. things one needs to survive. Other plants that are non-necessities could be utilized however the more unique the plant or power, or even for powerful plant magics takes much training. Hence why there is only 5 plant men. To easily utilize many many plants takes years of training and an understanding of plant magics, like the behind the scenes understanding of it.

With plant magics you can grow a plant anywhere. However if it is not in an enviroment where it can sustain it self in naturally then one has to keep feeding it plant magics. Sunny Valley is a RL equievalent of a metropilous. Before I proceed quick side track. Have you seen Zootopia? Zootopia had different biomes to house different animals. I believe there was 5 and I don't remember them all but I think there was a desert, ice, jungle. Now back to plant magics. A lambsear grows naturally in the desert. Those pine trees on fire is creating the effect of a desert for plants like the lambsear. Now if Sunny Valley had no one living in it would be just a grassy plane for miles. But with this being a large number of people residing here as you travel through the valley you may find dozens upon dozens of plants you may not have known exsisted and some of those maybe climate changing plants. Thinking about it I would say yes. One can say plants/plant magics are semi-sentient.

I hope none of this confused you. I had to re-read it just to make sure. So it sounds like you are interested in joining plant magics, are you?
Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Oh something else I thought of that I am not sure has clarification. Plant magics does make plants grow faster. Most will grow in a couple of minutes. However the longer it takes for a plant to grow in RL the longer it can take for plant magics to make it grow.

Last edited by GodRosen; 02-11-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Mmmm, crunchy.

Tools
User Statistics
I've read through a bunch of the Plant Magic OOC thread. I'm still not sure what system you're using.

Actually, so far as I've read in the Space Odyssey game thread I still haven't figured that one out either.

Are these systemless games?

Something else that strikes me as odd is the giant sequoias being helpful and friendly. You can carve them out into small rooms but, they're pretty greedy about space and don't like to share their territory with other plants. I had a friend who was under the impression that they deliberately dropped limbs onto smaller, weaker trees in order to mulch them to death.
I've seen sequoia sempervirens tear up like six or seven feet of asphalt over a spring growth, though I had more trouble than I expected finding any pictures of that kind of thing. The closest I found was some urban redwoods making cracks in the road.

I've started reading the beginning of Space Odyssey and it seems pretty cool so far but I haven't gone into the OOC thread on it, and haven't figured out what system you're using.
I'm not sure I'm going to able to wrap my brain around the plant magic system fully, but I've been considering a character in sync with St. John's wort since it's traditionally harvested on my birthday. Although having a walking fern you could take on a leash would be pretty cool too; you could name it Phyto.

Last edited by Cereal Nommer; 02-11-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:22 PM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
"Are these systemless games?"

Yes and no.

Space Odyssey has Cortex gaming system but I haven't been enforcing mechanics so it could very well pass as systemless.
Plant Magics is systemless at the moment. I am not sure what system could be used for it.

"Something else that strikes me as odd is the giant sequoias being helpful and friendly."
What do you mean? I may have to re-read the game post to understand what you are talking about.

To respond to the rest of your Plant Magics comments: I think you would make a great addition to the game. I like learning things I don't already know and it seems you know a thing or two about plants

"I'm not sure I'm going to able to wrap my brain around the plant magic system fully"
What do you mean? Like the "science" behind it?
Old 02-12-2017, 12:08 AM
Mmmm, crunchy.

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
"Something else that strikes me as odd is the giant sequoias being helpful and friendly."
What do you mean? I may have to re-read the game post to understand what you are talking about.
"Each of the I thought there were five trees, should this be quintuplets?Nevermind, I found the fifth one.quadruplets was adorned with oak structures to form a sprawling network of elevated residences. Every building was sculpted meticulously from roots set deep in knots and bark and connected with a web of bridges and walkways."
It seems to imply the oaks are growing on the sequoias. While they don't actually bludgeon other trees to death for their nutrients, (I'm still not sure where that misconception came from,) they do inhibit the growth of other plants. Redwood bark can be used as a weed resistant landscape ground covering. They also suck all the water out of the ground, and block out most of the sun. These trees don't like competition.

Quote:
"I'm not sure I'm going to able to wrap my brain around the plant magic system fully"
What do you mean? Like the "science" behind it?
I guess partially, I'm just not sure how much effect a plant should have or how difficult it would be to harness them. How much does being "in sync" help with that? I think I just don't understand what the baseline should be.

Sorry if this post is a little terse. I lost a bigger one to an expired token and didn't feel like typing out the whole thing again.

Last edited by Cereal Nommer; 02-12-2017 at 12:56 AM. Reason: I just read "The Lambsear Clan" sidebar among other stuff. I called it on the healing and fluffy thing.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:15 AM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
Plant magics can make a plant grow without any necessities. Sunlight, air, water. None of it is needed if you have plant magics. Yes that's right you can grow a plant while on the dark side of the moon. It does not matter just make sure you have brought plant magics with you.

Hmmm.. Ok let me have the weekend and I will think and post clarification on "syncing"

"Sorry if this post is a little terse. I lost a bigger one to an expired token and didn't feel like typing out the whole thing again."

Been there done that. Unfortantly will probably be there doing that... again Then one asks themselves "when will I learn?"

Last edited by GodRosen; 02-12-2017 at 09:48 AM.