Notices

Old 02-02-2020, 12:13 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
MegaNinetales
Hey, hello there!

I go by Max and I haven't actually played D&D yet but I've been really wanting to for some years now. Specifically, D&D 5e but I'd love to expand to other systems eventually as well. I'm from Brazil and I live in a fairly small city so not many opportunities other than trying it online, so I decided to give it a shot.

I'm about to start my first campaign soon and I'm really hyped about that. I read somewhere that you sometimes you gotta be the DM to get to finally play so I'll be trying that approach. Most of the players are my friends and happy to be part of that with me so it's all looking great so far. Any tips for a first-time DM are welcome, of course.

I hope to get to share my experiences and learn from those of others along with the process hopefully being entertaining for all parts involved as well, in one way or another. From what little I saw, people can be very friendly and receptive here so all the kudos for that. It really makes this come across as a welcoming place which is much appreciated, since being new to everything can be pretty intimidating. And I think that's it for now.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:41 AM
Dim Henchmen of Pang!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12060
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Welcome to the site, MegaNinetails! My favorite pokemon of the early gens were Articuno and Ninetails. I played a little bit of X and Y, where the mega-evolutions became a thing, but they just didn't speak to me. Was there actually a Mega Ninetails?

WhenI first started playing, I definitely had to be the DM. My friends were very forgiving for mistakes I made as a DM, and they were just appreciative that I was willing to do it so we could all play! As for advice-- I'm not sure if you're writing your own adventures or running something that's been pre-written. I might suggest that you try something pre-written first, and to read the whole adventure / book before you run your first session. It seems like obvious advice, but I've seen plenty of people that think they can just wing it as they go, and it's always a disaster!

If you've got any questions, let us know. We're happy to help.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:56 AM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 62476
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
welcome!

I am pretty sure we have a few other Brazilians on the roster here, but I can't be sure of that, or if they are active. Glad you joined us, though, because we always love getting international imaginations!

THere's plenty of 5e games and actions, so lots of chances to play. Hope you have a blast!

Happy gaming!
Old 02-02-2020, 09:12 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26043
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

You've certainly come to the right place for some D&D5 action. We have more than a dozen games looking for players as we type with more being added every day!

We're a lot more than just play by post though. We have advice sections for both players and GMs, more forum games than you can shake a stick at, and even a dedicated creative writing wing called the library.

If you have free time we can kill it for you.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!
Old 02-02-2020, 09:15 AM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26755
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Welcome! I know you are interested in DM'ing, but I'd still encourage you to take a look at the new player solo games (you should have info about those in a pm) -- that'll give you a bit more experience with the game, the site, and the style of play on a forum, and a connection to an experienced DM who can give you advice about setting up and running a game. Have fun exploring RPG Crossing!
Old 02-02-2020, 10:28 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
MegaNinetales
Thank you all for the replies! I really appreciate them. I'm glad to contribute to the mix of international imaginations

I am definitely interested in trying solo games so I'm grateful for the reminder. And yes, we'll be playing either Waterdeep: Dragon Heist or Lost Mines of Phandelver. Both seem to have plenty of resources available to help make the most of them so that helps me feel more grounded, so to speak. While I intend on adding my own spin of things here and there, I know I'll have a tested solid foundation.

@UnkoTalok (I don't know if this kind of tagging works here or if I should quote message each one of you instead?) Articuno and Ninetales are definitely some of my favorites as well! Nope, there is no actual Mega Ninetales but I like to think it'd be super awesome if it were a thing.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:56 AM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 62476
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Sorry to say, but @Tagging doesn't work, but the @Name does tend to let people know who you are replying to, so it's not useless.

If you want to message someone directly, you have to use the Private Message system we have.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:13 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
MegaNinetales
Thank you! I appreciate the explanation
Old 02-02-2020, 04:28 PM
Γόρδιοι δεσμόι

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1112
Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo
Welcome to RPG Crossing.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:50 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1136
telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar
Welcome Max!

There are lots of things I don't like about the internet. But one of the things I love is how it brings people together from all over the globe.

As for tips for new DMs, I came across this amazing interview between the two best DMs I've ever seen.

If you keep watching, you'll come across a fascinating exchange about how they believe that not knowing what you're doing when you first start DM-ing is not just okay, but possibly even a good thing.

Also, it's just fascinating to watch these two talk about their passion.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:32 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22262
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Goodmorning MegaNinetales,

Welcome over here and since I am late to the welcoming party, what have you been up to so far? Made any character applications yet?
Old 02-13-2020, 10:56 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 700
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Welcome to RPGCrossing, MegaNinetales. If you are interested in systems other than 5e, there are a number of Pathfinder games here as well: putting in a plug for those.