Old 02-16-2020, 12:15 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
DismalPixie
Hi all!

Hello

I've been playing RPGs since the early days of 3rd edition but with adulthood schedules and friends moving away games have been few and far between in recent years. So I thought some play-by-post would be a good way to get an RPG 'fix'. I have done a bit of pbp in the past, but I think the longest game I was a part of dissolved after 3 months or so. That forum was not a pbp forum primarily though, it just had a pbp section, so possibly the GMs didn't quite understand how best to run a game or how much work would go into it and suffered burnout.

Anyway, i'm probably going to be looking for a 5e game to join as a player. I may branch out into Starfinder (Never played but the setting sounds cool) or Shadowrun (I have played in the setting before but it was a FATE system that was borrowing the setting, the actual rules for SR intimidate me somewhat) depending on how that goes. I hope to have many fun adventures on this forum!
Old 02-16-2020, 01:17 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 432
Crimson 0M3N Crimson 0M3N Crimson 0M3N Crimson 0M3N Crimson 0M3N
Welcome to RPGx, fellow newbie!

If you want to brush up on your pbp skills you might check out the solo-adventures thread for new players (games specifically made to help newbs like us take a big step towards becoming veteran pbp-ers). Pretty sure there's a 3e game there if you want to stick with what you know (there's definitely a 3.5 one), or you can try the 5th edition version if you're committed to updating your game.

If you want to hop right into an established game, you might check out the "Reluctant Heroes" thread I've seen in Games seeking Players. I've never played in the game personally, but looking at your past pbp experience, it might check all the boxes that you need from RPGx. Ex-players and GMs talk about how the setting has been developing for many IRL years, how it is exceedingly unlikely to disappear any time soon, and how the current GM is blending 3e and 5e rules in a way that I hope you find to be an easy transition.

At any rate, I hope you find the community here to be as pleasant, helpful, and welcoming as I have. It's a pleasure to meet you!
Old 02-16-2020, 06:41 AM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 62476
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Welcome!

Imveros will be here shortly to encourage you to play Shadowrun. He can usually sniff out SR gamers and interest from miles away.

Glad you joined us.. We have a lot of 5th edition games, and as mentioned, a strong SR fan club.

Happy gaming!
Old 02-16-2020, 07:15 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
DismalPixie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
Imveros will be here shortly to encourage you to play Shadowrun. He can usually sniff out SR gamers and interest from miles away.

Glad you joined us.. We have a lot of 5th edition games, and as mentioned, a strong SR fan club.
I do love the setting, i've read several of the novels and love the PC games by HBS. I just am not an overly large fan of 'crunch' in my RPGs, on the occasions i've been called on to GM anything I tend towards Savage Worlds or FATE.

Fun fact tho, in the 90's when I had not played any RPGs yet but was interested in them my dad got me "The Complete Guide to Role Playing Games" and Shadowrun was the first game I bookmarked.

Anyway thank you both for the welcome! Also Crimson 0M3N I will certainly have to check out the solo pbps this forum offers, I didn't know that was a thing.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:42 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26043
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

Admin Dirk is right, Shadowrun is my jam. I recently started a training game for SR5 if you're interested in looking that over. The best place to start is with the quick start rules. You'll find a link to that on the player resources tab!

She's a harsh mistress. The corebook is best described as a 500 page train wreck, but I love her all the same. I've always been a sucker for a game with such rich lore.

You've come to the right place to scratch that gaming itch. Sorry to hear your last game didn't last long. I won't lie, I've had games here die before the first post. Currently though, I only have a single game that hasn't been going for over a year! *Furiously looks for wood to knock on*

I'll also second the call for the solo game. It's a great way to learn how we do things around here while getting right into the game!

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!

Last edited by Imveros; 02-16-2020 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:18 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1136
telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
At least she didn't use the magical summoning words, "Warhammer 40K"! I believe that triggers an instantaneous teleport.

Oh, and by the way... welcome DismalPixie!

Nice to have you. I have to say, I have become a bit sick of all those happy-go-lucky pixies. You'll make a refreshing change.

Get stuck straight in. Applying for a solo game seems like a sensible start. But there's lots of regular games on offer too. Got any questions? This is the perfect place to ask.

Last edited by telcontar; 02-16-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:53 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
DismalPixie
@Imveros: The Shadowrun training game does look interesting, I was poking around it a bit. I think I've already found a 5e game I want to apply for and I was going to put in for a solo game so I don't want to spread myself too thin. I might just read and follow along with your training game to get a better feel for the rules and when I'm more comfortable with them & the solo game is over I'll try a Shadowrun game.

@telcontar: I have not touched 40k but I did spend WAY too much on a Warhammer fantasy army in my teen years that I ended up playing like... twice. 19 year old me should not have had access to a credit card is all I'm saying.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:54 AM
Dim Henchmen of Pang!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12060
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Welcome to the site, DismalPixie! What a flavorful name. I've got some fun images forming based off of it, from various shades of cyberpunk goth pixies to overly-emotional waterfall-tears fey creatures to a kind of ridiculous fake-sad-clown kind of silliness. I love it!

I'm just starting to learn Shadowrun myself, and playing in Imveros' beginner's game. I think he's done a good job of getting tutorials for both shadowrun and play-by-post gaming in there. So if you're looking for a start, I'd recommend it. I entirely agree with Imveros' statement-- that rulebook is a 500-page train wreck. I really do need to pick it back up and work through some more of it if I want to understand the system better... But, like you, I've found my interests trending away from crunch generally. My available time has gotten narrower, and I just don't have as much time to digest all the rules.

If you know Pathfinder 1E, Starfinder isn't a huge leap.

There are tons of 5E games recruiting all the time, including one that I'm recruiting for right now, if you're interested in Eberron. See my signature for details. One week remaining for applications!
Old 02-16-2020, 11:12 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
DismalPixie
Yeah I have the Shadowrun 5e Core book & Street Grimoire as PDFs and I did give it a few tries to read through... yeah, didn't make it to the end. As I mentioned in my previous post I think I'm gonna stick to D&D 5e at first, then maybe venture into Shadowrun after I'm more comfortable with how pbp works on this forum.

I have played a fair bit of Pathfinder, so it's good to know it won't be that hard to get into Starfinder. If you couldn't tell, I quite like 'Urban Fantasy'. I want Orcs and I want those Orcs to have Uzis.

I must confess Eberron is a setting I know little about. Back when I was in college I stumbled upon thread (in a forum I don't otherwise use, I don't remember how I found it) about "1001 Mournland Horrors" and that thread is basically the full extent of my Eberron knowledge. So It kinda occupies a 'horror setting' space near Ravenloft in my mind even though I know that's not really the case outside of the Mournland. I also know there's something about trains and this is the setting that introduced Warforged I think? That's about it.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:31 AM
Dim Henchmen of Pang!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12060
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Yeah, it's not always a horror-esque setting (though the game I'm recruiting for is closer to that). I think it's fair to describe it as pulp-adventure and pulp-nior. But obviously no pressure on applying to the game, and no hard feelings. While the game is open to Eberron Newbies, it'd probably take a fair bit of reading and researching to get excited and make a fun character for it.

I wish you all the best in finding some great games! You seem like a fun person, and I'm glad to have you on the site.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26043
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
At least she didn't use the magical summoning words, "Warhammer 40K"! I believe that triggers an instantaneous teleport.
It is a maneuver known as steel rain!

But yes, mentioning Shadowrun gets you a few links and some fan boy squees. Mentioning 40k gets you clubbed over the head and dragged to the Wrath and Glory game I'm playing in. One of these days PopCultureBard will get tired of me bringing home stray puppies, but I'm at three and counting now!

Established users aren't safe either as Wodine was one of my most recently press ganged into service for The Emperor!
Old 02-22-2020, 08:20 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22262
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Goodmorning DismalPixie,

really cool username! Not sure what it means so I need a bit of help to understand the 'dismal' ;-) Cool that you are going to jump into 5E and feel free to ask questions if you have them. I have skipped Shadowrun and Starfinder myself and after years of Pathfinder I am now only using the 5e system to DM some adventures over here. Anyway, most important point of this post: welcome over here