Old 10-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Pissant

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 300
Kainti Kainti Kainti Kainti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin ridin
Regardless: it's eight hours of uninterrupted rest that recharges one and gives hit point goodness. That just didn't happen last night.
I only need the two hours though, so is Sylin good to go?
Old 10-10-2008, 12:54 AM
site dinosaur

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: -10113
ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin
Old 10-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34271
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
I'm not sure who beside Preston and Jorgen are in the pit right now. One of the last DM notes read that no one else could move since the square was being blocked.

Quote:
The spikes are about a foot tall, and one is placed in every square foot of the trap's floor. The pit is 5' wide--the same width as the hallway--and 10' long. The skulls of those less wary than you stare with empty sockets. Those whose jaws are still attached grin at your problem. Glad you could join us. Your turn now...
If the pit is 10' long, and Roy has not yet made it down there (blocked by Preston), I would like to try and jump over it. DC for 10' is 10... can you confirm if this is an actionable plan at this point?
Old 10-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23626
Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak
I believe Preston is in the first 5 feet, and Jorgen in the second 5 feet... ARG stated in a secret to Preston and Jorgen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARG
but the 5' ceiling is far too low to get a running start of any kind...
The rules state you would have a DC 20 for a 10'jump with no running start. It also states that you go up 1/4 vertically the horizontal distance in this case 2.5 feet. I would think Roy is too big to do so. I don't know what ARG would rule if you did a standing jump (Perhaps you dived from a standing position) but I believe a running jump's DC 10 is out.

Questions for ARG)

1) Can one turn dead when one is in Hybrid form?

2) Spells. Was Jorgen able to pray in the morning and regain the spells from the prior day (it was just one spell he used the prior day). In my sheet I did mark off my spells cast but will have to revise based on being able to pray and restore them in the morning.

3) Jorgen still wants to climb up regardless of the skeletons coming to life (in fact he'd climb quicker) as he made the climb check is he considered to have climbed out of the pit?

4) I didn't state in my post, but can we assume that Jorgen grabbed the spear he threw down before he proceeded to the wall to climb out.

Last edited by Embrodak; 10-10-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
OK, thanks Embrodak.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Pissant

Tools
User Statistics
Okay, who else smiled at the idea of a billiard strike critting?
Old 10-10-2008, 04:41 PM
site dinosaur

Tools
User Statistics
ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin
NIIICE nat 20s, Roy. Too bad you're not in the pit. Who are you attacking, Sylin?

Answers for Embro:

1) You can try...

2) Ye-es, even though no HP rest occurred. I believe the prayer part only takes an hour.

3) No. As you stated in your post, Preston occupies the first 5x5 square of the pit, you occupy the 2nd. Remember the pit is 5' wide and 10' long. As soon as you touched the far wall, the skeletons said Hello.

4) Yes.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:45 PM
site dinosaur

Tools
User Statistics
Oh, also, since I presume most of you don't have a strong opinion on the nat 1/20 thing, we'll go with: for saves, 1 always fails and 20 always succeeds, regardless of DC. Skill and ability checks, however, are run by the numbers rolled.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak
Thanks for the Answers...

I looked in the SRD for Turning
Quote:
Originally Posted by turning
Turning undead is a supernatural ability that a character can perform as a standard action. It does not provoke attacks of opportunity. You must present your holy symbol to turn undead. Turning is considered an attack.
So since I didn't get a chance to climb out, let's hope ARG doesn't have some surprise up his sleeve to prevent me from turning.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Pissant

Tools
User Statistics
I'm not attacking anyone, just trying to pull the two idgits out of the pit. We'd likely have a sounder advantage if we could just batter the undead back down, and it'd be more of a fair fight if we were all up top.

Well, less of a fair fight, but for them. That's what counts.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
NIIICE nat 20s, Roy. Too bad you're not in the pit.
Laaaame.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:38 PM
site dinosaur

Tools
User Statistics
Turning & Speech

Not much overt guidance in the srd, is there? However, importantly, it does note, later on in that section, under evil clerics, that

Quote:
A commanded undead creature is under the mental control of the evil cleric. The cleric must take a standard action to give mental orders to a commanded undead.
This strongly implies to me that no speech is necessary--they use the word "mental" twice. Yet it seems counterintuitive. We expect the priest to come out with a hearty "The power of [insert deity here] compels you!" But, to further support the non-verbal argument, the Silence spell mentions many effects but not turning undead.

The best interpretation of the rules seems to align with non-verbal turning, commanding and rebuking. Jorgen's monosyllabic speech will do the trick.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 82
Ascendant
I'd agree with that - turning involves supernatural influence. Undead rarely respond to spoken commands, but rather the wishes of whoever created/controls them, regardless of language.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
YAY ME... Now let's hope they are low enough HD that I destroy them... Given the close quarters and no where to move they'd likely just end up attacking me...
Old 10-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 82
Ascendant
They can't attack you, so long as you don't approach them. They must flee or cower, unless you move closer to them. So just stay in your square and let the others finish them off while they cower/run.