Old Feb 20th, 2020, 11:39 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33212
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureBard View Post
I recognize the Call of Cthulhu in that but man, that sounds like a Hunter: the Reckoning game I would absolutely love to play.
That's just Pulp Cthulhu with a different name.

Which I have been considering running since all my CoC games die, in large part I think, to the difficulty of keeping people engaged in cosmic horror at a pbp pace.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 12:20 AM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25815
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodine View Post
That's just Pulp Cthulhu with a different name.

Which I have been considering running since all my CoC games die, in large part I think, to the difficulty of keeping people engaged in cosmic horror at a pbp pace.
As much as I love Mythos horror, I really think the system for CoC is not great. Percentile systems in general always feel clunky. I'd considered using Trail of Cthulhu to run a game once, as the Gumshoe system does mystery and investigation really well while not being bogged down by unnecessary complications, but trying to focus on Investigation in pbp tends to fall apart due to the pacing.

Pulp Cthulhu could be an interesting mix of action and mystery, though. I've never gone through the material but I've heard positive things.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 04:19 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1602
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Cyberpunk 2020 / RED.
I'm a long-time player and DM of Cyberpunk 2020. I picked up the Cyberpunk Red Jumpstart Kit recently... and was profoundly underwhelmed by both the rules and the changes to the setting. They're going to need to make drastic improvements to the game if I'm going to be lured away from 2020.

Don't get me wrong. There are problems with 2020. Netrunning in that game is awful. I never allow Netrunners as PCs. I always make it an NPC. And the combat is way-off-the-charts deadly, in my opinion. You really have to work hard not to kill the PCs.

But for all that, it is an incredibly stylish game. I'm worried that Cyberpunk Red is just an attempt to cash in on the hype of the Cyberpunk 2070 computer game, and will lack the Edgerunner spirit of the original.

Last edited by Telcontar; Feb 21st, 2020 at 04:20 AM.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 04:45 AM
Utterly flocked

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23773
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureBard View Post
So yes, 7th Sea would definitely be a dream game for me to have going on here.
First Imveros had my curiosity, now you have my attention. Though it would take a very good GM to get that balance right of obstacles that feel formidable but don't get in the way of Errol Flynn shenanigans - get it wrong and diminishing returns would set in quick. I think I understand some of the complaints I'd half-remembered a little more from that perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
God this is one hell of a question... If you aren't familiar with the systems I run, I pretty much focus on the niche of [OTHER] systems though a few I can list off the top of my head:
Mecha / Titanfall have a baby, though I'm honestly not a fan of the brightlord/Utopia setting the game hasLancer,
Though it's more wargaming/tabletop adventure than RPG, so probably not the best choice for RPGXRangers of Shadowdeep,
Eclipse Phase 2E,
Cyberpunk 2020 / RED.

And even though it's not a "system" but more a long-term project, I'd love to collaborate with another DM or two on RPGX to create a grand campaign-type game; something where the actions and outcome of the first campaign impact the next sort of thing. I get it's not likely to be something that'd happen what with every variable that comes into play such as PbP rate of progression and real-life variables and such, but one can dream.
Actually, I've noticed you're a real pusher for other systems. I was sad I joined the site too late to try for your City of Mist recruitment.

That's a hell of an ambitious goal though. Have you seen the way hjohenson has a bunch of guild threads for his Ravnica game? Sounds like something similar but on a smaller scale.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 08:19 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6336
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
I'd personally like to try my hand at the Warriors RPG sometime. I like a system geared towards being simple and lighthearted for a bit of a break. And it would be interesting to try and think with four legs instead of two.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 10:23 AM
Banned

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12536
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post
Actually, I've noticed you're a real pusher for other systems. I was sad I joined the site too late to try for your City of Mist recruitment.

That's a hell of an ambitious goal though. Have you seen the way hjohenson has a bunch of guild threads for his Ravnica game? Sounds like something similar but on a smaller scale.
I have not seen this, have you got a link to any of this? Sounds like something that may be of interest to me; As for the City of Mist game, it'll be a few years off probably, but depending on how this one goes, I might do a prequel campaign around some twists I've got planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
Don't get me wrong. There are problems with 2020. Netrunning in that game is awful. I never allow Netrunners as PCs. I always make it an NPC. And the combat is way-off-the-charts deadly, in my opinion. You really have to work hard not to kill the PCs.

But for all that, it is an incredibly stylish game. I'm worried that Cyberpunk Red is just an attempt to cash in on the hype of the Cyberpunk 2070 computer game, and will lack the Edgerunner spirit of the original.
Cyberpunk RED and Cyberpunk 2070 are being developed together in regards to the lore, the same way that VtM: Bloodlines 2 was being developed alongside VtM: 5E and probably the same thing will happen with WW:TA game adaptation being built alongside the lore of the new WW:TA edition.

Cyberpunk 2020 can be a pretty high-lethality system, same for The Witcher TRPG; it encourages the group working together and planning an approach to combat, or better yet a way to avoid it altogether. It's a theme I like of the R.Talsorian systems, honestly.

As for the netrunner stuff? I personally don't agree with just straight-up cutting that out as an option for players, I'd certainly (as a DM with a different style, obviously) opt more towards house ruling/simplifying the Netrunning similar to how everybody simplifies/reworks the Decking rules in Shadowrun. Also, I have a huge gripe with 2020 mislabeling Cumbria as Northumberland in their UK splat.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 02:30 PM
Utterly flocked

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23773
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
@Marshmallow: Ravnica game here.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 05:45 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29268
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
I'm playing in way too many games right now (6) and running all that I can handle (1), but I'd kind of like to run a Top Secret game someday. Finding enough players familiar with the rules would be tough though.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 06:24 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6944
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
tl;dr: A long winded way to say "GM-less Open-World Mutant and Masterminds with PVP"

Not really a system, but an architecture.

So, almost a decade back - I used to RP on GaiaOnline. The way the forums were structured were sort of how they are here- where we have a DM that's a mini-mod of their own game; but it was designed more for fan clubs and video game communities rather than PbP RPG (a 'guild' would have a heirarchy of sorts so communities could self-moderate within their groups) . The dice system was godawful compared to what we have here.

Under those conditions, a lot of games were these weird, open-enrollment affairs. More like an MMO or maybe a MUD. You didn't level up from beating monsters, but instead by rping alone. No DM guiding an adventure, just a bunch of players and moderation. I played with a community that was really into crunchy games with PvP. They had their own that was a Naruto (anime ninja) game, and later the creators of that game adapted Mutants and Masterminds for their style of game. I really liked the M+M system.

That said, you often didn't use the system *that* much, because outside Events (that would be DM'd) and fights between characters, it was just roleplay. When it came to fights though - the rules let you put your money where your mouth was, in a way.

There's really nothing *quite* like it. Like for M+M; it really was like you had a city with a bunch of individual heroes and villains that could clash. What happens when the Iron Man clashes with Harley Quinn? Find out next week!

I was Iron Man, and I lost. :|

But it was fun!

Last edited by Inuvash255; Feb 24th, 2020 at 06:26 PM.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 01:29 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
StevetheNPC StevetheNPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageheart View Post
I have always wanted to play paranoia again. I dont know how well it would play out in pbp though.
Oh man, I loved that game back in the day.

Some others that I have fond memories of, and that would love to try in PBP form are: Marvel Super Heroes, James Bond 007, and the original Gamma World. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, but I would really like to experience these games all over again with 30 more years of role-play experience under my belt. Then again, maybe the teenager in me would be shouting "you're playing it all wrong!" the whole time. :/
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 11:14 AM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6944
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
@Steve: Gamma World is another one I'd want to try at some point. A while back, I got into a game called Caves of Qud on PC; and it's pretty inspired by Gamma World. Really gonzo post-apoc sci-fi-fantasy stuff!

Old Feb 27th, 2020, 12:01 PM
voracious Book-Eater

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39434
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
I have the newer Gamma World box somewhere, I'd love to dust it off and give it a go sometime down the line.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 03:23 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
pocketroid pocketroid
In real life, Burning Wheel. I don't think it would work as well in PbP though. So maybe Mouse Guard or Torchbearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post