... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old Oct 20th, 2020, 04:36 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19109
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Got something down. Might go in later and spruce it up, but you’ll get the idea.
Curses!
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 09:01 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 771
Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdy View Post
I don't know about that, Menzo mentioned considering a caitian helmsman. I can't imagine a species of bird persons and a species of cat people getting along. According to the American Bird Conservancy, 63 species are extinct now because of pet cats in the US.
Just to give an update, I have obtained STA and am currently reading through the rules. If my head doesn't explode, I'll submit a character. At present, though, I'm currently setting up my own D&D5e game, so my free time (and headspace) is a little limited.
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 11:28 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Might leave the app as is, actually. Comments/Critique welcome.
Curses!
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 12:27 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 499
Ferdy Ferdy Ferdy Ferdy Ferdy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GleefulNihilism View Post
From what I've seen from actual plays one of the main things science officers do is scan things which is often an insight/science task. You may want a higher insight and a focus in scanner technology.

Last edited by Ferdy; Oct 20th, 2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 12:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3159
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Quote:
Love his background Looks really good.
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 12:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3159
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabadger View Post
I know nothing about Star Trek games and am not applying BUT I can’t resist putting in a plug for any game GM’ed by Exfilia. She has been heading up a daily Curse of Strahd for our group for a few months now and her posts are always on-target, responsive and witty. You are in for a treat!
Thanks, BananaBadger. Be reassured, though: The Federation is in one of the few parallel universes not known to overlap with Barovia at any point.
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 12:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2200
Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67
I shoulda been a Cardassian.
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 02:06 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
From what I've seen from actual plays one of the main things science officers do is scan things which is often an insight/science task. You may want a higher insight and a focus in scanner technology.
Good point actually, might redo the sheet.

Edit:- Tweeked Sheet
Curses!

Last edited by GleefulNihilism; Oct 20th, 2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 04:35 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
If I took a focus in Suus Manha, the vulcan martial art, would that focus apply when trying to nerve pinch someone?
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 11:34 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15347
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Quote:
I gotta say though, I do find the concept of an avian communications officer to be really cool given many species capacity for mimicry.

You know I hadn't actually thought about that, but that is a good idea. I might have to make mimicry part of her skill set now. Don't know if it's really worth a focus though, or if it's just more of a personality trait. Probably the latter.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 01:06 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalladiaMors View Post
You know I hadn't actually thought about that, but that is a good idea. I might have to make mimicry part of her skill set now. Don't know if it's really worth a focus though, or if it's just more of a personality trait. Probably the latter.
Love that idea! It's fun, thematic, and potentially useful, the tabletop RPG trifecta!
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 01:47 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
left-aligned image

Name: L'Var
Assignment: Chief Medical Officer

Species: Vulcan
I was born in 2135 in the fringes of vulcan space. I came into the world possessing strong latent telepathic abilities for one my species.
Gained Attributes: 1 Control, 1 Fitness, 1 Reason
Gained Talent: Mind Meld

Environment: Isolated Colony
I was raised on the Vulcan monastery planet of P'Jem in the Luyten's Star system bordering Andorian Space. The sanctuary at P'Jem was a revered site of quiet meditation where Vulcans could contemplate Surak's philosophy and undergo the Kolinahr ritual to purge themselves of emotions. One fateful day, the hallowed site was raided by Andorian commandos led by the crazed and paranoid Commander Thy'lek Shran. He was convinced the sanctuary housed a secret installation used to illegally spy on Andorian space. Commander Shran eventually bombed the revered sanctuary from orbit, destroying the site and its millenia of Vulcan cultural heritage along with it. Prior to its destruction, my childhood meditations at the sanctuary sharpened my latent telepathic ability and granted me insight into the nature of consciousness. Through physical contact I can even reach out and touch the consciousness of another through a process my parents called a 'meld'.
Gained Attributes: 1 Insight
Gained Value: Andorians are paranoid and barbarous.

Upbringing: Science and Technology
With nothing left for us on P'Jem, my family returned to Vulcan where I was enrolled in a Learning Center and absorbed vast amounts of scientific and technical information from the skill domes there. I accepted this, reasoning that I had already learned what I could from monastic life as a child. My skill dome curriculum of the nervous systems of many sentient species led to an understanding of how to interrupt nerve impulses to the brain, causing intense pain and possibly unconsciousness.
Gained Attributes: 2 Control, 1 Reason
Gained Disciplines: 1 Science
Gained Talent: Nerve Pinch
Gained Focus: Xenobiology

Starfleet Academy: Research Internship
After formal training on Vulcan, I accepted a research internship aboard a Daedalus-class Starship mothballed and then recommissioned as a Hospital Ship, the USS Mercy. While aboard, I had access to patients from all corners of Federation space, and helped pioneer several surgical techniques that broadly applied across the gamut of species. For my work on the Mercy, I was granted a commission in Starfleet.
Gained Attributes: 1 Control, 1 Insight, 1 Reason
Gained Disciplines: 2 Science, 1 Engineering, 1 Medicine
Gained Focus: Surgery, First Aid, Toxicology
Gained Trait: Pioneered Novel Surgical Techniques
Gained Talent: Quick Study
Gained Value: Take all logical steps to preserve life

Career: Experienced Officer
As a newly commissioned officer, I took a position as chief surgeon aboard the USS Armstrong under Captain Jerrol Haddock. I carried out my duties to the best of my abilities despite the fact that I considered Haddock to be a buffoon that obtained his rank purely out of nepotism. I quickly learned that illogical orders have to be disobeyed for the greater good.
Gained Value: Illogical orders must be disobeyed.
Gained Talent: Cautious: Medicine

Career Event: Dealing With a Plague
The Armstrong was at one point sent to planet Dramia II to assist the Dramens with an outbreak of auroral plague. Serendipitously, Vulcans were immune, a fact which greatly benefited me in assisting to find a cure. Captain Haddock's incompetence and lack of proper precautions resulted in several crewmembers contracting the disease.
Gained Disciplines: 1 Medicine
Gained Focus: Infectious Disease

Career Event: Death of a Friend
One of those contracting the auroral plague due to Captain Haddock's illogical order to send an away team down to Dramia II without fully understanding the threat first, was someone who once told me he considered me, "a friend". It was RinixBiras, our Denobulan anesthesiologist. I'd practice Suus Manha while teaching him some of the more fundamental techniques of the martial art, and he would show me his collection of spores, molds, and fungus. It was quite impressive. Due to some quirk of the denobulan metabolism, the auroral plague ravaged his body far quicker than the other crew who contracted the disease and he perished before we could develop a treatment.
Gained Disciplines: 1 Medicine
Gained Focus: Suus Manha

Finishing Touches
Haddock's lack-witted buffoonery got his executive officer killed by a carnivorous plant on a class L world he thinks he discovered. He just waved me off when I told him that planet had been on Vulcan star charts for the past 120 years. I've been promoted to commander so I can be the new XO, but the life expectancy of first officers on this ship is not very long. Besides, with my only "friend" gone, there is nothing left for me here aside from a megalomaniacal nincompoop of a captain and his sycophantic officers who actually wanted this assignment. I've begun pestering Starfleet Command with regular requests for reassignment over a sub-space transmitter I've rigged up in my quarters.
Gained Attributes: 1 Control, 1 Reason
Gained Discipline: 1 Command, 1 Engineering
Gained Value: Know all the variables before deciding.

Epilogue
After many months, my pleas have finally been heard. I'm ostensibly to debark the Armstrong at space station K13 and report to a different starship, a Constitution-class dubbed the USS Pavonis. Hopefully this Captain Byrne is more competent and reasonable than Captain Haddock.

Last edited by Ferdy; Nov 8th, 2020 at 02:20 AM.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 02:30 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalladiaMors View Post
That is a pretty cool idea actually. But admittedly I was more surprised that *the Wings WORK* when I read it. Heh.
Curses!
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 03:53 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
That is a pretty cool idea actually. But admittedly I was more surprised that *the Wings WORK* when I read it. Heh.
Probably not quite as much of an advantage in a universe where transporters are a thing.

Speaking of transporters, I was contemplating a value of, "transporters kill you and then make a copy on the other side!" because if I lived in the Star Trek universe I'd definitely believe that! They take you apart molecule by molecule and send you in a stream after all.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 04:02 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15347
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Not so useful on a ship maybe, but on away missions people are always falling into holes or dangling off of cliffs. It's kind of an epidemic in the Star Trek universe, so being able to fly should be quite useful.