RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: N-R > Gath's Gameboard > Ibinel
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-19-2019, 04:06 PM
Shield of Knawing

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10020
Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort
Sable listened and watched as introductions were made and stories were shared. Careful to put his coat a ways from the fire so the leather wouldn't harden, he busied himself with drying out his equipment and clothing. One thing he didn't remove was a star-shaped pendant hanging around his neck that seemed to suck in all light from around it. Even in the light of the fire, shadows seemed to writhe and worm around the man, and it was hard to see facial details, or discern his age, especially with streaks of paint and ink staining his skin.

From his haversack he pulled out a small kit and a cloth rag and went about restoring the camo-paint to his face, head, and backs of his hands -- including the gaudy ring. When Darktears came around with the jade, he took it silently, holding it between them as his gaze switched from the green rock to her eyes as if trying to decide if he should trust her. She was captivating to behold. His suspicions were raging within; in perfect Elven, however, he finally said evenly, [Elven]"Thank you."[/Elven] and looked away, tucking the jade into a trouser pocket.

As items dried, he slowly re-dressed and re-armed, putting odds and ends back in their places amongst his clothing and coat which still lay across a log. Once done, he waited for a quiet moment to answer the newcomer's questions.

"We were ambushed with ranged magics. Balls of fire. Then there were many undead creatures, some unseen. Some were able to make it seem like we were attacking each other. It was as if one wasn't really where he should've been." It was as if the swordsman went from reciting to himself to warning others. He looked around at the captive audience. "They were great in strength and speed; some of our weapons seemed to have little effect. Beware their bites and strikes for they caused damage far deeper than mere flesh and blood wounds, weakening and slowing us. Saddas, gone now, helped heal us to some extent but some of us, though, -- " he glanced at Declan "-- still seem to be afflicted. But, that's not my particular area of expertise. I kill things, I don't heal them. We later encountered the -- woman, if she can be called that -- defending a number of giant frog and toad creatures. They were able to speak directly in my mind, and were not very accommodating. The woman warned us off, telling us to leave, before Saddas met her and both disappeared. So, we left the area and came here to regroup. Your arrival is timely."

It was the most he had spoken at once in days, and it almost seemed to wear him out, but then he had more to say and his growing impatience shone through.

"Enough socializing. We're not here to drink tea and share stories. We need a plan."
Vort's Verbiage (2017/04/30) Anyone want a Tuco? ~Grogg Tree
Old 02-20-2019, 10:08 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1813
nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles
Muldoon was caught by the insistence of this shadowy warrior. He had just been thrown into this mission, but by Sable's account things had gone strange and not terribly well. The land seemed dangerous in unpredictable ways, which made planning difficult. Muldoon liked a good plan, they rarely worked but sometimes they worked part ways and led to victories. The one thing they had on their side was that they just seemed a lonely band of adventurers not assassins. The longer they could keep that impression up the better he thought.

"Well, I'm not the best planner in the world, but having our team at full strength is a simple one. Can anyone cure the mad fellow... uh Declan, right? He's got a curse or magic something-or-another on him, "said Muldoon looking around hoping someone could actually do that.

The fire cracked and sent a small puff of embers into the air as if volunteering for the job.

"As for other plans, I guess I'd like to start with where are we compared to the Lich Prince? I mean, we kind of have to find the fellow if we're going to go all choppy choppy, "said Muldoon doing mild chopping motions with his hands.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:05 PM
<3 M

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 249
xenavire xenavire xenavire
Dajed looked around at the mention of removing a spell or curse. Vin gave me a bit of paper. It said something about the dagger being able to remove magical effects. I could give it a try. He whipped out the dagger, brandishing it in a manner that seemed far too threatening for polite conversation.

And when I am done with that we can find some wood and make a nice, toasty fire. Preferably before my nuts freeze, I've done that once before. It wasn't pleasant. He shivered slightly, gripping the dagger with whitening knuckles. While we're young, eh?

Old 02-20-2019, 05:34 PM
Shield of Knawing

Tools
User Statistics
Sable looked over at the damp, hairy, wild-looking man. "Dajed, is it? ... You could just move closer to this fire." The swordsman pointed to the sheltered and small but hot fire, feeling the need to explain the obvious. "Another would just increase our risk of being seen from a distance."
Old 02-20-2019, 05:45 PM
Stingy Black Mage

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 332
loganic loganic loganic loganic
The gnome, upon having the jade piece slipped into his hand, fumbled with a simply pouch he carried around his neck and slipped it inside. Loris looked around. ”Well at least half of ya, are willing to admit to being useful. I don’t know if the rest of ya get by with with your cutting wit, or just hoping to give the undead a bad taste in their mouths. It seems like knowledge has been hard to find. How long have ya’ll been out here anyways? Is ol’ Vin worried that your teeth might get soft? I guess we won’t have to worry about scurvy for a while. That box has been smelling like a gnomish bakery, full of magic and other delights.”

We seem like we’re one wrong step from being lost.
He pulled the remaining chestpiece and armpieces from the coals and fitted them back in place. The damn things were always a bit persnickety and would take a few minutes to properly adjust. Cael was just odd; Mittens didn’t too uncomfortable around them, so they couldn’t be that bad.

”Declan, I’m a good herbalist, if only a mediocre healer. Talk to me afterwards. Maybe I can cure your ails. So what is it that you do out here? For that matter, what about you, Dejad, Tinker, and you, Muldoon? The rest of us have talked about our skills. Share yours. Oh and if any of you have any clues how to find our quarry, besides depending on DT’s mysterious pull of the earth, I’d be glad to hear it.

This mission was going to be a Herculean task. We had little to go on, and dangers galore. We needed more intelligence. The least we could do is figure out how to use our strengths rather worry about our secrets.
Old Yesterday, 01:03 AM
The hidden treasure

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18036
kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara
Strange Meeting

Darktears gave Muldoon a funny look, then gave a light chuckle when he called her a "saint". After what I've been thru? she shook her head, knowing some of the things she has done and willing to do at times, she was never going to be a saint.

She then turned to listen to one of the twins. Acknowledging the duality of the spirits between both Cael's, she began to wonder how she might join their souls back together into a single, complete body. Hmm, I see. So, do you have any desire to rejoin the two parts to make one wholly complete self? she wondered Cael's thoughts on the subject for the moment as it appeared the dragon side was a bit more childish like, as in learning the world around them.

After she had passed out the Jade for protection, she gives Sable a slight bow to show respect, replying back in her native tongue, You are welcome. she simply replied and listened as the samurai dressed man turned away and began responding to others questions.

When they mention about a curse upon one of them, she glanced over. I know quite a bit about curses. Though I do not have the proper rituals inscribed within my book to perform a removal from them. If it is a curse, it must be removed or broken as those are the only ways to get rid of one. she comments, as she does not have the proper spell in her book at this time.

Looking over the fire a moment, she wonders if they would rather speak in a secured area. She looks out at the gathered group and waits for an opportunity to chime in, If you don't need the fire. I could create a small safe haven called a "rope trick" where we could discuss things in a magic pocket, safe from any wandering creatures. she offered to create a ropetrick where they could all rest peacefully for awhile w/o risk of encounters.

Afterwards, she waits for their responses and listens as the gnome speaks up. Once he finishes, Darktears adds, I am familiar with the land, but I am not a diviner. However, you mentioned encountering undead. Now that, I just might be able to control them and extract the information you seek.

But beware, there are some undead that can not be controlled. If we run into one of them, I will let you know as other measures may need to be taken.
she commented, offering at lease one possibility of attaining what they need outside of her knowledge of geography.

Shall I summon the private resting area? she confirms with the consensus of the group before casting the spell.

Old Yesterday, 03:11 AM
Barbarus sum

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13565
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood
Declan took the piece of jade from Darktears, and forebore to comment on her name. Internally, though, he chuckled to himself. Sounds like a teenager, trying to be spoooooky, and mysterious. Oh yes, I bet no-one understands her.

And while he was battling, almost succumbing to the temptation to mention this idea, he was distracted again.

"I'm not mad!" he told Muldoon, defensively.

"Or at least, I didn't used to be, but since the vampire bit me, nothing makes quite as much sense as it used to. Or rather, it makes more sense, but no-one else agrees with me. You know that feeling when you know exactly how something should be done, and it's all really clear, but everyone around you just... looks at you a bit funny? It's like that. I needed water, so I ran for the river, but then the river was quite a long way away and they all shouted at me for taking off my clothes. Would you go swimming in full armour? Actually, you did, but it didn't look like you chose to, so that doesn't count."

The bard paused, in the middle of his stream of consciousness.

"Look, Darktears, it's very nice of you, but I don't think it's really a curse. It's more like... you know when someone's poisoned, and their muscles don't work properly? It's like that, except my muscles work fine and my... inhibitions don't. When you're drunk, you get an idea, and you just go with it, even if it's a really bad idea, like the time I convinced Tinker to... well, I didn't really convince him, he just sort of followed along; that was back when he was a student and I was in detention, but he cast all sorts of spells in the library and got in trouble, just because I was drunk. I wasn't even a student when it happened. How fair is that? You can't give an ex- student detention."

OOCDeclan is suffering from WIS damage (and some CON damage as well). This is why, despite being intelligent and charming, he goes off on tangents every now and again (and again, and...)
Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1813
nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles
Muldoon settled in a bit next to the fire a little better. He took off his handy haversack, set it down, took his great sword off his back and kept it in his hand as he sat cross-legged and laid the sword in his lap, where he let it rest and raised both hands up to warm at the fire.

So much was going on and in such a short period of time. Not too long ago he was lost in Ethea, and now he was here in the jungle. He, Dajed, Loris and DT had a lot to catch up on with each other but more importantly with these people already in the thick of things. The words flew and the energy was all over the place, it felt very familiar, like the better jobs tended to be. Well, sometimes these things degraded, but he had a good feeling.

They all seemed decent. Loris had spunk. Dajed was weird and made him wonder about his mountain-man-ishness. DT was a bit sad really, and wasn't trying to hide it. She also wasn't really hiding much else either. Probably the best choice in the jungle. Then he remembered he had some jungle wear in his sack, well, more like desert wear, but close enough. He'd have to remember to change clothes in the morning. Sable seemed the strong silent type, probably one of the more sane ones. The Cael twins were funny and their predicament fascinating. Declan seemed to talk like Muldoon's own brain, except he actually said it aloud. He'd have to help protect that one.

"I hear you Declan, keep your knickers on," Muldoon said with a joking wink. "All I'm trying to say is you ain't right thanks to them vampires and maybe we could put our heads together and set you right. I mean... I'm useless for that part, but maybe someone else could help."

Thinking back to Loris's request, he used this moment to pivot, "But I suppose I could tell you how I AM useful in a Loris-like level of detail," he said with a nod to Loris.

He rubbed his hands together leaned back so that both arms were behind him, supporting his upper body, and said in a relaxed manner, "Sword for hire, like I said, and so I'm best up close and personal. I've spent Geography +3, Local +3my life on the road and the sea and learned a few things, I can Survival +7live alright in the woods, maybe a desert island, and help Profession Sailor +3man a ship, even sail it... poorly. I've picked up a fair Linguistics +10number of lingos on my travels, and I've had Diplomacy +9to make friends out of enemies more than once to make it out of a place alive. Road life has made me treasure a well cooked meal and so Profession Cook +2I dabble a little in cuisine. I know Knowledge Arcana +6, Spellcraft +6a little about magic thanks mostly to my family. "

"As for your safe haven", said Muldoon looking at Darktears, "Can it last a full sleep? Can you sleep while it's going? Or is it just short term? "

Last edited by nickostopheles; Yesterday at 10:28 AM. Reason: OOC
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Stingy Black Mage

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 332
loganic loganic loganic loganic
The gnome winced as he heard Declan’s words. ”Ouch, I didna realize you were so botched. Ya shoulda said something sooner. Let me take care of the right quick, before you decide one of our beds looks more of a beaut than your own.”

He had just managed to finish tightening the last straps to his armor. Loris pushed himself off the log and walked over to Declan, and found a new spot to park his rear .”Sit tight, and I’ll be tender with ya. It might be a minute.” He held Declan He positioned himself so that he wasn’t speaking towards the rest of the group, and begun chanting in a voice that certainly seemed different than his typical jovial one. It seemed to come from far beyond what the relatively small frame could house. It turned out that the gnome wasn’t exaggerating. After nearly a minute, he quieted , but his hand began to glow for a few more heartbeats.

Finally the gnome, pulled his hand away and raised his head. He was a bit out of breath. ”Alright mate. I think that should do it. By morning, you should be right as rain. How do you feel?” Loris waited an affirmative answer, before he patted the man’s shoulder, and called back to the group. ”That took a lot out of me, so don’t expect too much of it. I need to walk it off. I’ll be back in a few.” He hopped back off and walked short distance. Loris took the opportunity to pray to his Lady of Dusk and give thanks for her blessings. It was a good time for it, and he didn't want for the others to see his face if he was about to feel a considerable amount of pain.

oocHealed 3 wis and 1 con. Declan also should heal 5 hitpoints a round, transferred from me, until he’s close to but not at max. Let me know how much Loris is hurt for.

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
Barbarus sum

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13565
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood
Declan did as he was told. It was possibly not a good idea, trusting a newly-met stranger in the middle of a hostile jungle, but of course that only occurred to him after the spell had taken effect. By that time, Loris had earned Declan's trust. A strange phenomenon, that: only by being trusted could one prove oneself trustworthy. Declan wondered, idly, whether that was universal, or whether there were exceptions to the rule. None came to mind, but he did not feel the urge to track the thought down and drag it out in conversation.

Turning to Loris, Declan smiled; it was a peaceful smile, unlike his slightly fevered look of five minutes ago.

"That's... refreshing," he replied. "It feels like I'm not rushing down a hill every time I speak, rushing to who knows what at the next bend in the conversation. I appreciate your effort; I hope it is a while before you need my help in return, for it has not been a pleasant day."

And then Loris did something strange, a bit like a healing spell, but there was no rhythm to it, no words, and it was clearly something else. Declan waited for it to act, but nothing happened: he raised an eyebrow in response.

"Was that... some sort of healing? My cuts and bruises are already healed, you know. I can do the easy ones myself. But I appreciate the thought."

OOCDeclan should be a bit more normal now! He wasn't suffering any HP damage; he'd cast a bunch of CLW on himself already. I'm assuming that taking 10 on Spellcraft, for 22, is enough to have at least a general idea about the Life Link. It works for narrative effect at any rate

Last edited by HenryLockwood; Yesterday at 03:02 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM
Shield of Knawing

Tools
User Statistics
Sable thought about the elven woman's offer to set up a safe, secure place, given he's usually more comfortable not-being-seen. However, the idea of being shut away and removed from the environment made him uneasy. "Safe and secure is good, but closing ourselves off from where we are probably isn't. I'd rather take my chances out here." He also preferred being in control of his hiding spaces and not being subject to a sudden failure in magic. It wasn't that he denied the utility of magic -- in fact, he made use of it often indirectly through equipment he was using or even things he was wearing -- but he liked to be in control of it, not subject to it.

"Well, if any of you can do something for our bard here, that would be appreciated." And if anyone wondered if the comment was made out of compassion for a comrade-in-arms, Sable answered the question. "He's definitely more a danger to us now than he is to our enemies." It wasn't said harshly, but matter-of-factly. Probably did sound somewhat callous, though.

As the banter continued around the group, Sable found himself gazing at the vast expanse of stars coming out in the night sky. "It certainly is different being out here than in the crowded streets of Ethea," he said as if speaking to the stars. He marveled at the expanse and at the fresh cool night air, breathing deeply before shaking his head abruptly as if clearing out some errant thought.

In silence, the swordsman watched the armoured gnome work his -- magic? faith? -- on Declan. When Loris declared himself done and stated his intention to "walk it off", Sable said nothing; he wasn't the gnome's mother, after all, and didn't feel the need to remind him "not to wander off too far".
Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
<3 M

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 249
xenavire xenavire xenavire
Giving up on gathering firewood due to the lack of interest, and promise of a safe haven, Dajed took a seat next to the fire, beckoning Fleece over to a nice warm spot next to him.

Sharing time, eh? Dajed scratched his still-damp beard thoughtfully. Not much to say in my case. Years of training for the priesthood of the traveller have been squandered for the past few years. Been living in places like this jungle. Actually in this jungle, briefly, not that I see anything I recognise around here. Not much else to say, really. I abandoned my faith to be a filthy hermit, but I'm comfortable in this terrain, which is why Vin hired me. He gave another damp beard-scratch, before continuing. At least, I assume so. He's a mysterious one, Vin. And I now owe him a good dunking, rat bastard. He squirmed, all too aware of the damp surrounding his nethers.

And this here is Fleece. He's a royal pain in my backside, and stubborn as a mule - I swear his father was a grade A ass. I actually found him around here, somewhere in this jungle, and he's part of the reason I took the job. Saw hide nor hair of his owner, so for now, he's my nearest and dearest.

Fleece bleated in protest, and trotted off, intent on greeting everyone. Dajed grinned and relaxed, satisfied his piece was said.

Last edited by xenavire; Yesterday at 07:09 PM.