Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1149
Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin
[Paranoia] - Fun is Mandatory

APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED

Game NameParanoia - Fun is Mandatory
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games - Paranoia
ThemesDystopian society run by a paranoid supercomputer; complete missions with impossible and/or contradictory objectives; backstab your teammates and/or blame them for your failures and mistakes; kiss up and kick down; fill out forms with bureaucratic precision
FlavourOne of the Vaults (from Fallout) + GLaDOS (from Portal); or
1984 (if it was a dark comedy) + HAL 9000
Game Information
IntroductionCongratulations Citizen! Thanks to your heroic and selfless efforts to inform on one of your neighbors as being a Commie, mutant, and/or traitor, you have been promoted to level Red Security Clearance. With your new Security Clearance comes great responsibility and opportunity! Please strap yourself into the chair in front of you while we beam this brief introductory holovid about your new Security Clearance directly into your eyeballs. This procedure is completely safe and will absolutely not cause you to go blind or insane!

Brief Introductory HolovidAlpha Complex

Alpha Complex is your home. After [REDACTED – INSUFFICIENT SECURITY CLERANCE] during the Old Reckoning era, the last remnants of humanity built Alpha Complex as a self-contained, underground City of the Future. All citizens of Alpha Complex enjoy comfortable, happy, and prosperous lives in our new utopia.

The Computer

Alpha Complex is protected and governed by The Computer—or Friend Computer as we like to call it, because it’s a friend to us all. The Computer sees all, knows all, and guides Alpha Complex through its infinite wisdom. Any rumors you may have heard that The Computer is paranoid, unstable, or beset by faulty and contradictory programming and decades of deferred maintenance are false. Spreading rumors is treason! Disobeying or doubting The Computer is treason!

Security Clearance

As part of maintaining an orderly and loyal society, every citizen in Alpha Complex is assigned a Security Clearance by The Computer. As you perform more and greater services for The Computer and Alpha Complex, you may be promoted to higher Security Clearances. Your Security Clearance is based on how loyal and trustworthy The Computer deems you, and promotion is an indicator that you are among Alpha Complex’s best and brightest! Security clearance promotions do not depend on you being an exceptionally skilled bootlicker, undermining your teammates, and/or successfully blaming others for your own mistakes and failures!

The available Security Clearances are color-coded. From lowest to highest, they are:
Infrared (Black)
Red <-- You Are Here
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Indigo
Violet
Ultraviolet (White)
A citizen’s Security Clearance is the single most important factor governing their lives. Everything from the work you do and the areas of Alpha Complex you may enter, to the food you eat and the clothes you wear, depend on your Security Clearance. Thanks to your recent promotion to Red, you can now enjoy a new wardrobe of red jumpsuits, eat delicious foods like GenuineRealfoodApple™ and strawberry-flavored algae chips, and even enter the Red Shop where you can purchase Basic Consumer Products! Infrared-level citizens may even obey your instructions (particularly if you are brandishing a red-barreled laser pistol)! However, you must absolutely avoid places and things reserved for persons of higher Security Clearance, and must follow non-treasonous orders and instructions from persons of higher Security Clearance (Orange and above). Failure to obey all Security Clearance requirements is insubordination and/or treason!

Commies, Mutants, and Traitors

Despite Friend Computer’s never-ending efforts to maintain Alpha Complex as a happiness-infested utopia, some people simple do not want the rest of us to have nice things. The three greatest threats to Alpha Complex are:
1) Commies – Nefarious and dangerous secret society traitors who follow a diabolical ideology which claims that [THIS INFORMATION IS NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME].

2) Mutants – Nefarious and dangerous freaks of nature who want to use their secret mutant powers to enslave humanity. Thankfully, only a very tiny number of people in all of Alpha Complex have these scary mutant powers. The chance of you discovering that you have a mutant power is so infinitesimal, you should not even think about it (but please immediately report to Internal Security for termination if you find out that you are a mutant).

3) Traitors – In addition to Commies and mutants, traitors include all other persons who are members of secret societies, oppose or disobey The Computer, violate their Security Clearance restrictions, are excessively incompetent or insubordinate, or otherwise threaten the safety, well-being, and good order of Alpha Complex.
Clones

Unlike the messy reproductive habits practiced in Old Reckoning times, citizens of Alpha Complex are created in batches of six clones. You are the first clone in your line. On the off chance that you meet an untimely demise, your next clone is decanted and your memories are automatically uploaded into the new clone. Not even your first five deaths can stop you from loyally serving Alpha Complex and The Computer! And, in the exceedingly unlikely event that you are terminated for being a Commie, mutant, and/or traitor, your new clone will be subject to non-invasive memory augmentation and/or genetic purification to ensure that your new clone starts with a fresh, untainted slate.

Troubleshooters

Citizens who are newly-promoted to Red Security clearance have the exciting opportunity to be involuntarily conscripted into the Troubleshooters—Alpha Complex’s front-line civil servants! From shooting trouble (primarily Commies, mutants, and traitors) to carrying out other Very Important Work, Troubleshooters provide a noble and valuable service to Alpha Complex and The Computer. And there is absolutely no reason to think that most troubleshooter missions result in 600% fatality rates or that most Troubleshooters end up [REDACTED – INSUFFICIENT SECURITY CLERANCE].

Do you have what it takes to be a troubleshooter? If so, please complete Form 638-C7/ rev. 17.4, New Troubleshooter Profile and Team Assignment Questionnaire below. If you do not have what it takes to be a troubleshooter, please report to the Food Vat Scraping Detachment in sector LSR for a new assignment and reduction to Infrared Security Clearance.

And remember, Fun is Mandatory!

Form 639-D4/ rev. 12.8, Application for New Troubleshooter Commission and AssignmentPlease read all instructions carefully and fill out all fields on this form. Additional information is provided under the Spoiler buttons for each item or category of information required. You may also wish to review the Frequently Asked Questions which follow.

Name:

Appearance:

Personality (check one):
[ ] Option 1: I am naturally happy about all aspects of my life in Alpha Complex
[ ] Option 2: I am heavily medicated so as to feel happy about all aspects of my life in Alpha Complex

Identify two skills you are good at:
Identify two skills you are not good at:

Service Group Assignment:

Secret Society:

Roleplaying Sample:

Optional, Bonus Writing Sample:

Frequently Asked QuestionsQ1: What is the application deadline?
A1: The application deadline has been moved up to July 26, 2020 at 12:00pm (noon) EST.
Q2: I don’t have a copy of the rules for Paranoia and/or do not know the rules for Paranoia and/or have not played Paranoia before. Is this a problem?
A2: No. In fact, the rules are above your Security Clearance, such that displaying excessive knowledge of the rules is treason! You will be informed of anything you need to know. You are welcome to apply regardless of experience.
Q3: Are you sure you can’t tell me any of the rules?
A3: Ok, here’s one: The GM is always right! Seriously, that is the first rule listed in the rulebook.
Q4: Do I need to make a character sheet as part of my application?
A4: No. In fact, making a charter sheet may indicate that you have excessive knowledge of the rules. See Q2/A2 above. Players who are accepted will make a character sheet in the game forum after they are accepted.
Q5: What should I do if I have questions about the game or my application?
A5: Post them in the application thread. If you really don’t want the other applicants/ prospective players to see your questions, post them in a Secret Text box. If the requested information is available and within your Security Clearance, it will be answered.
Q6: I’m having trouble figuring out how the Secret Text boxes work…
A6: That was not in the form of a question. Nevertheless, check out this link: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/faq.php?...aq_secret_text
Q7: What is Bouncy Bubble Beverage?
A7: Bouncy Bubble Beverage (B3) is a refreshing, thirst-quenching drink which comes in the following flavors: Plain; Extra Classic; Tastes Just Like Something Orange; and R&D Experimental Flavor #71 (illegal).

Infrequently Asked QuestionsQ8: What is the anticipated posting rate?
A8: I will aim for 2-3 posts per week.
Q9: What is the playstyle for this game (not that I know what that means)?
A9: Classic (not that you know what that means).
Q10: Should I put my roleplaying sample in a Secret Text box?
A10: No, do not put your roleplaying sample under a Secret Text tag. If you really want to put something about your secret society in there, put just that part under a Secret Text tag.
Q11: Will I benefit or be penalized based on the specific skills I identify as being good at or not good at?
A11: No.

Brave Involunteers
PlayerCharacterGood SkillsNot So Good SkillsService GroupApp StatusBonusBribes
cybersavantDarkh-R-TTT-1Stealth, SoftwareManagement, ViolenceCPUComplete  
rhaiberBrit-R-PVC-1Management, SoftwareViolence, StealthHPD&MCCompleteYes 
UrsinorumKlaus-R-OXO-1Hardware, ViolenceManagement, SoftwarePLCComplete  
olhadoRub-R-GLU-1Violence, WetwareStealth, HardwareHPD&MCCompleteYes 
GrouchyHam-R-TYM-1Violence, HardwareManagement, WetwareArmed ForcesComplete  
ThacoJoe-R-AME-1Management, HardwareStealth, ViolencePower ServicesCompleteYes 
Lemming23Snick-R-DDL-1Management, ViolenceStealth, SoftwareArmed ForcesCompleteYes-ish 
CarverCadence-R-DMC-1Management, StealthHardware, SoftwareHPD&MCComplete  
Noquarter19Phil-R-CHE-1Hardware, WetwareStealth, ViolenceTechnical ServicesCompleteYes 

Last edited by Talkin; 07-29-2020 at 08:29 PM. Reason: This post was not edited. The Computer does not make mistakes.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:29 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8050
sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart
I LOVE Paranoia. I haven't seen any games of it here. I may have to join!
Old 07-14-2020, 08:55 PM
AKA HotSatsuma

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5202
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
I've heard a lot about Paranoia. I'll have to appraise if I have time for it, but definitely keeping an eye on it out of interest.

Do you have a notion of expected posting rate?
Old 07-14-2020, 08:57 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8050
sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart
Paranoia is more goofy, puzzles, and overall backstabbing fun, so posting my prove to be more often but less intense.

On that note are we doing a one off, or is this planned to be an actual campaign? I haven't read the rules in forever but I recall two versions of play.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:59 PM
Mature-ish Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post
Do you have a notion of expected posting rate?
Hopefully about 2-3 times per week.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:04 PM
Mature-ish Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageheart View Post
On that note are we doing a one off, or is this planned to be an actual campaign?
I'll probably start it as a one off, and if the players are still having fun by the end, might try to transition to a longer campaign.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:25 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1193
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageheart View Post
I haven't read the rules in forever but I recall two versions of play.
Well someone's off to a good start with their treason points for knowing more than they should according to their rank.

[sekrit]Actually three versions - Zap, (in which it's slapstick, anything goes, shoot everyone immediately and then make up a reason / don't bother to make up a reason because you've just been shot too, oh, and so has your next clone), Straight (think 1984, Brazil etc - not always played for laughs, very much dark comedy, and in which you try to survive while realising you're in a dystopic nightmare), and Classic (between the two - comedic, often darkly, and the most common way of playing - which I'm assuming this game is).[/sekrit]

Arse, looks like some commie mutant traitor was messed with my secret tags. I blame that Hotsu-R-SMA-1 guy.

Oh well, must pop off to the termination booth myself now...

He / Him. Playing: Letholdus, Halfling Tempest Cleric, Snick-R-DDL-1, Troubleshooter
Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)

Last edited by Lemming23; 07-14-2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:38 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 405
Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco
I've heard about Paranoia, but the closest thing I have to experience with it was listening to a one-shot that the Glass Cannon Podcast did with it a few weeks back. That said, I think it's just insane enough for my liking. I'll be putting in an application as soon as I can figure out how to do so without exposing myself as a Commie, traitor, thinking person, or other such undesirable...
Old 07-15-2020, 12:55 AM
AKA HotSatsuma

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5202
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming23 View Post
Arse, looks like some commie mutant traitor was messed with my secret tags. I blame that Hotsu-R-SMA-1 guy.
Fellow citizen, I commend your dedication to rooting out the undesirable elements in our glorious commune! I'm afraid you're mistaken, and as a result your loyalty must come under question for willingly flinging such slander. But as Friend Computer will want total assurance, I hereby submit myself for re-education processing to remove any doubt. I'm sure the rumours of 're-education' being a misnomer for liquidation are wholly the fabrication of seditious elements.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:48 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 53
cybersavant
Char app

Name: Darkh-R-TTT-1

Appearance:
Darkh is average height, average build, in fact average in everyway. He has brownish hair and brownish eyes. He blends into any crowd. He is barely noteworthy.

Personality (check one):

[ X] Option 2: I am heavily medicated so as to feel happy about all aspects of my life in Alpha Complex

Identify two skills you are good at
: Stealth, Software
Identify two skills you are not good at: Management, Violence

Service Group Assignment:

Central Processing Unit (CPU) – Responsible for Alpha Complex executive operations, regulations, records, justice, and human resources

Secret Society:

Roleplaying Sample:
On his way to MRK Sector, Darkh thought back on the events of the past few days. In the early evening after a regular double shift in VAT Sector, back in the dorm after lights out he heard one of the other infrareds talking under his blanket. Darkh tiptoed over to eavesdrop, checking that no one saw his treasonous behavior at being out of bed. Darkh listened and recorded Limp. The next day, before the regular de/briefing in VAT Sector, Darkh hacked the computer terminal and sent The Computer the recorded file of Limp.

Now, as he walked to the summoning he wondered if too would be replaced with a new clone.

Optional, Bonus Writing Sample:

Last edited by cybersavant; 07-16-2020 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:48 AM
Purgare Preserved Wildlif

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5321
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
I'm game, I'll have absolutely no idea what I'm doing the entire time, but it seems like a fun, goofy game that I'd like to be a part of!

Also, I thought I'd mention, the form numbers don't match...
Old 07-15-2020, 10:15 AM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9668
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirviantis View Post
Also, I thought I'd mention, the form numbers don't match...
Of course they match! Your senses must be deceiving you. You should report to the nearest Med-Bot for ocular surgery. Any rumors you may have heard about the Computer using ocular surgery to implant surveillance systems directly into citizens is completely fabricated. Believing in such rumors is treason. Also mentioning such rumors is treason. Excuse me, I must go report myself. Have a nice day!
Old 07-15-2020, 10:20 AM
Mature-ish Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@Lemming23 - I will be aiming for "Classic" style. However, you have shown a dangerously high level of rules knowledge. Please vacate your living quarters while IntSec installs additional listening devices and cameras.

@Siriviantis - You earn 1 commendation point for your keen eye and dedication to strict bureaucratic process. After further review, The Computer has determined that the two form numbers do match, and you have been given 1 treason point for falsely accusing The Computer of providing the wrong form.

Last edited by Talkin; 07-15-2020 at 10:28 AM. Reason: This post was not edited. The Computer does not make mistakes.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:10 AM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9668
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
I have wanted to play a game of Paranoia since the 80s, but could never find enough people who wanted to try it out. I am so on board for this.

Application for Service as a TroubleshooterName: Brit-R-PVC-1
Appearance:
right-aligned image
Brit is slim (but not out of any sort of vanity or desire to look different, of course not. That’s just how my metabolism kinda works. If you think I should go get it checked out by a Med-Bot, I’ll go right away, honest!), petite (but well within the realm of ordinary, believe me, not standing out in any way. I bet when I wear these thick-soled boots, I’ll look just like a normal person … I mean, because I am a normal person), and has an exceptionally long mane of honey-blonde hair (wait, did I say exceptional. I so didn’t mean that, at least not the way it sounds. If I put my hair up, I bet you won’t even notice anything about it - please don’t report me).
Personality (check one):
[ ] Option 1: I am naturally happy about all aspects of my life in Alpha Complex
[ ] Option 2: I am heavily medicated so as to feel happy about all aspects of my life in Alpha Complex
Identify two skills you are good at:
  1. Oh, I am really good at Management, because I just love interacting with other people. After all, a stranger is just a friend you haven’t met … unless they’re a Mutie, a Commie, or a Traitor, in which case, EWWWwww...
  2. Also, I am pretty good at Software I guess, because information is kinda my thing. Y’know, knowing where stuff is, accessing databases, identifying who’s supposed to be here and who doesn’t really belong, giving directions to the nearest Re-Education center, all that kinda stuff.
Identify two skills you are not good at:
  1. Definitely Violence. Hate it. Don’t use it.
  2. Stealth seems kinda pointless to me. I mean the Computer already knows all and sees all. Why would anyone want to hide stuff … y’know unless they were a Mutie, a Commie, or a Traitor
Service Group Assignment: Housing Preservation and Development & Mind Control (HPD&MC) - I work as basically a tour guide and welcome wagon, helping citizens newly transferred to my sector to acclimate to life here in this amazing and wonderful part of the glorious Alpha Complex. Of course, sometimes there are certain … unfortunate types of people that … have trouble fitting in. So I help identify who should probably not be living … I mean living here, of course. And then I politely recommend them for … relocation.
Secret Society:

Roleplaying Sample: Hello and Welcome fellow citizens ! My name is Brit-I-PVC-1. There are some who call me Brit for short (which is, of course, ridiculous since intentionally altering an official designation could be construed as a lack of faith in the validity of Friend Computer’s infallibility in assigning official designations), so you can call me Brit-I-PVC-1. It’s my job to welcome you to Sector PVC. While Sector PVC is objectively no better or worse than any other sector in our glorious Alpha Complex, I feel certain that you will be very happy here, since Friend Computer’s infallible algorithms have determined that this is the optimal placement for you, and your happiness is essential.

If you’ll kindly follow me, I’d be happy to show you around and help you find your bearings. To your right, you’ll see our state-of-the-art algae chip dispensary. If you don’t already love the taste of algae chips, you will soon! Our PLC Commissary crew works tirelessly to produce them with optimal efficiency, even taking the utmost care to include actual flavour (so long as it doesn’t negatively impact their overall efficiency).

Now as we continue along, ahead on our left you’ll find Sector PVC’s very own subdivision of the Central Processing Unit. Oooooooh. A very important location to remember, particularly for those citizens who want to help improve not only our Sector but all of Alpha Complex by providing useful feedback. We have a saying here in Sector PVC: “If you see something, say something … then immediately report to Medical Bay 984-XN to have your ocular receptors checked for accuracy and potential replacement if necessary.”

Continuing along, once we pass the Basic Consumer Goods Exchange Center, we’ll be arriving at your new home! Dormitory Complex 24601! The complex has recently been renovated to include all the amenities allowed for a citizen of your clearance level, including an optimally calculated average of 3.5 walls and your choice of either a floor or a ceiling! (But don’t worry if that decision seems like a lot on your first day, because Friend Computer has already pre-selected for you based on a careful analysis of your personality profile ).

Now if there are any questions before we move on .... What’s that you say? … You don’t think you’ll be happy with these accommodations? … Well, that doesn’t make much sense. Your happiness was an important factor in Friend Computer’s carefully executed assignment algorithm, but I’ll be happy to file an error report on your behalf recommending immediate relocation to another sector. … Oh, don’t worry. Any rumors you’ve heard about “relocation” being a euphemism for “termination” are clearly erroneous. You can be certain that your happiness is super-important to Friend Computer. That’s why every citizen I’ve ever filed an error report for has been immediately removed from Sector PVC and I’ve never seen them again, so they must clearly be enjoying a fulfilling life in some other sector entirely. Still, I will be happy to note your concerns over both the efficacy of Friend Computer’s algorithms and your concern over potentially treasonous conspiracy theories in the appendix to my report.

Optional, Bonus Writing Sample: The introduction of Professor Dr. Barnabus Q. Culpepper

Last edited by rhaiber; 07-17-2020 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:01 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1079
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Klaus
right-aligned image

Name: Klaus-R-OXO-1

Appearance:
Black sparse hair (since tub-birth). Big, muscular and a bit slow (-er than the average Infra-reds, some might say) he could often be seen drug-happily wobble to his algae vats due to his imposing size.

Personality (check one):
Option 2: I am heavily medicated so as to feel happy about all aspects of my life in Alpha Complex, following the recommendations of Friendly Computer!

Identify two skills you are good at
: Hardware, Violence
Identify two skills you are not good at: Management, Software

Service Group Assignment: PLC, Algae Vats Maintenance

Secret Society:
Roleplaying Sample: While cleaning some vents around the food tanks, Klaus found a moist spot that resembled an algae growing on the metal, for day he visited the air vent, feeding it all sort of food waste, discovering it had a taste for Bouncy Bubble Beverage.

Eventually a co-worker discovered his secret, and tried to blackmail Klaus. With the help of a big wrench, the colleague was removed as a threat, removing a big chunk of the mold and putting it in his vest, Klaus went to denounce his ex-colleague for growing treasonous-unauthorized-probably-communist vegetables, and that's how he got promoted to RED.

Last edited by Ursinorum; 07-15-2020 at 07:50 PM.