Old 02-18-2016, 01:36 AM
Great Old One

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 642
Simkin Simkin Simkin Simkin Simkin Simkin
The Green Cockerel

Greetings and Salutations!

Welcome to the game. This will be the general OOC thread for the game, so please feel free to post any queries!

First of all, a big thank you all for your interest in playing the game. Next, please do check out the house rules. Do query to seek clarification as needed and don't be shy.

Your input is important and valuable. Unlike a table top game, I cannot be expected to post 'Are you sure?' after you have posted, so players, be a tad careful about what you plan.

Of course, on the other hand, feel free to act as you deem fit! I am not out to murder your characters! I think a measure of trust is important, and I hope you are not shy on acting out. You are heroes after all!

But than again there is an issue of outrageous stupidity. I expect players to be a little intellectual about their course of actions. Charging an army single handed may not be the best course of action, nor is opening a door to the abode of a supposed wizard without checking for traps. Stupidity will kill.

So I hope we can find the balance, we can trust, and keep the game flowing smooth.

And really, please query, both in and out of game. Well this was an overly long "welcome to the game post!"

Welcome nonetheless!

ps: keep all general die rolls in the die roll thread here (like hd, main game thread etc) try to link back to your post where possible so I dont have to hunt for the rolls too. much appreciated!

Please refrain from awarding me rpxp for non-roleplay posts!
Old 02-18-2016, 01:56 AM
Great Old One

Tools
User Statistics
Alright as I have it as of now:

Ikmath Valleyseeker Lathnamki'keanki - Point of origin? Would Ikmath venture straight to Stillwaters from the Spine of the World, or choose another point?

Tookril - Mentioned that originally from Stillwaters. So as mentioned if you are a Native of the town you would not have been in town for a couple of days in the least, so you may decide where and where you have been, and I will surmise you are currently on your way home. Feel free to develop your character further and let me know about family, friends, etc.

Fyi Stillwaters is a Dwarven Hamlet, boosting 2000 souls, 60% dwarves, 40% other races

Lux, Rachek, Eravan, Eshu Kazander Ravid - you 4 will start your journey from Mirabar. Just want to know if you intend to know one another, would like to travel together as a group of adventurers responding to call for aid / assistance, or would prefer to go alone. The journey from Mirabar to Stillwaters, through the Lurkwood road will take you 2 - 3 days.

Storn Murdinbor - Your intro will be pretty easy for me, as a contingent of dwarves will be headed up to Stillwaters from Mithrall Hall in response to the call for aid. Do you volunteer or are a part of the contingent?

From the above responses I will be able to draft game threads or work with you to develop your characters more.

Environment note -

1) it is current winter turning to spring in the realms. The snow drifts on most untended roads in the north can go as up to 3 feet high. This also slows movement.

2) The Lurkwood is a dense luscious forest. movement through the wood (of the Lurkwood Road / Trail) is at half speed.

Hence at some points in the wood, if not on the caravan trail or roads, movement may be impossible without shoveling.

Just a heads up.

Thank you.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:54 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 491
squeek2334 squeek2334 squeek2334 squeek2334 squeek2334
Oh man I'm excited, just bare with me a bit this is the first time I will be playing 5E
Old 02-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3419
Sendor Sendor Sendor Sendor Sendor Sendor Sendor Sendor Sendor Sendor Sendor
I think Storn would be the type to volunteer to go help.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:39 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 807
ironbeard ironbeard ironbeard ironbeard ironbeard ironbeard ironbeard
Eravan is purchasing a pack animal and getting some supplies for his journey to Stillwaters. He would notice others who are making similar purchases and might think they might also be going where he is. He is usually a loner, so it not really looking for companions, but would recognize the sense of traveling together and getting to know possible comrades willing to fight the evil.

There comes, even to kings, the time of great weariness. Then the gold of the throne is brass, gems in the diadem sparkle drearily like the ice of the white seas; the speech of men is as the empty rattle of a jesterís bell
Old 02-18-2016, 07:22 PM
Great Old One

Tools
User Statistics
You can purchase anything on the phb Equipment list

Old 02-18-2016, 10:54 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
question in regards to your 1 rule. My race has the luck rule which auto allows me to reroll all 1s. is that still okay??
Old 02-18-2016, 10:56 PM
Great Old One

Tools
User Statistics
squeek - yes of course

Sendor - have updated your personal thread, do take a look when able.

Thank you

Old 02-19-2016, 12:04 AM
Ghostbuster

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1360
Cal Cal Cal Cal Cal Cal Cal Cal Cal Cal
I think that Stillwaters would be a reasonable first-entry point into the lowland world for Ikmath - he probably journeyed there with a dwarven friend, starting from a more remote dwarven citadel closer to the Spine of the World.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:50 AM
Lost During Shipping

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13397
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
House Rules Comments:
Quote:
Never ever edit posts with die rolls.
I know that you can edit posts as long as you don't touch the rolls themselves. If the rolls themselves are edited, they get the red box and asterix of doom. The reason I say this is because with things like Great Weapon Fighting and other features that allow the reroll of dice after the fact, I'm going to add them to the original post in the dice thread, so that all rolls are in the same post. If this is an issue, I'm going to apologize now, because I'll forget to make multiple posts since this is how I've been doing it for a while now, and have never had any issues with other DMs before.

Example

Initiative Order:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean here, but the way I read it, Initiative will dictate the way actions are calculated in a given round. The problem with a "Hard" initiative is that it can slow things down. If we are using a hard initiative, it becomes better to wait on those before you in the order, to see what they do, and thus it would stretch out combat rounds.

Another method that could be more effective is a "Block" initiative. Initiative is rolled as normal. Those that beat the Enemy Initiative get basically a Round 0 with the Enemies going after. From there we go into PC and Enemy turns where ALL of the PCs post their actions, and once those are complete, the Enemies do the same. Actions would be calculated in posting order, making it easier for the players to see what happened before their turn. It does lead to situations where one PC may act before another in one round, and then after another in a subsequent round, but in the end it would make it easier for the Players to know what happened when, where PCs are located, and what enemies have been damaged or killed.

My explanation may be a bit confusing, but it's basically PC turn and Enemy Turn with Posting Order being how actions are concluded. Ironbeard has seen this method in action in the matches I have DMed for him and others in "The City of Endless Arenas" where I have acted as a Match DM. It's a method I learned from EngrInAZ during my lengthy time here, and seems to really speed up and streamline combat.

Last edited by Saratek; 02-19-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:17 PM
Great Old One

Tools
User Statistics
Ah ok. In the past you could not avoid not editing the rolls when you edited a post that had one. I did not realise that this had changed. My apologies and so no issues on edits than. Will ammend my house rule thread on Monday (cause I suck at doing it on my phone)

You get MAX hit points so need not roll hit points

I'll be happy to use your initiative order method and glad for any advice and guidance along the way. Thank you saratek

Thank you!

Old 02-19-2016, 07:43 PM
Lost During Shipping

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13397
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simkin View Post
Ah ok. In the past you could not avoid not editing the rolls when you edited a post that had one. I did not realise that this had changed. My apologies and so no issues on edits than. Will ammend my house rule thread on Monday (cause I suck at doing it on my phone)

You get MAX hit points so need not roll hit points

I'll be happy to use your initiative order method and glad for any advice and guidance along the way. Thank you saratek
Yeah, you can tell when someone edits the rolls. There are a few instances where you can get false RED *, but they are few and far between. Flood Control is one of the ways it happens, but most people won't ever see that. (Unless they are me)

Max HP is always nice.

The Initiative System is just to make this easier all around.

And you're welcome.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:36 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Hey what's going on with this game?
Old 02-23-2016, 01:58 AM
Great Old One

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek2334 View Post
Hey what's going on with this game?
Stillwaters CastLux, Rachek, Eravan, Eshu Kazander Ravid - you 4 will start your journey from Mirabar. Just want to know if you intend to know one another, would like to travel together as a group of adventurers responding to call for aid / assistance, or would prefer to go alone. The journey from Mirabar to Stillwaters, through the Lurkwood road will take you 2 - 3 days.

Well for the Stillwaters crew, Eshu (played by Aramalian), Lux (Sethak's; btw character is fine) and Rachek (saratek's) have yet to firm if they're heading west on their own or with like minded travelers, etc - so I cant move that along yet.

Eravan (Ironbeard) posted he's keeping an eye out for any other travelers West, but I have no update for him as yet.

I'll be moving Ikmath (Cal's) today (apologies for the delay)
I'll be engaging Storn (Sendor's) today (also apologies for the delay)

and I'll be moving Tookril (yours) as well today (apologies for the delay)

Thank you

EDIT - Squeek, Cal, I've updated the first post of your threads, do take a look. Thank you

Last edited by Simkin; 02-23-2016 at 02:28 AM. Reason: stuff
Old 02-23-2016, 09:43 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 638
Aramalian Aramalian Aramalian Aramalian Aramalian Aramalian
My bad -- Kaz will hopefully hear something about the opportunity to help others while he's entertaining at a tavern somewhere. He's happy to travel with others.