Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Lost in Limbo
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 01-21-2017, 06:28 PM
Wizards Only, Fools

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3184
Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier
"Not a cult..." Jasmal pleaed as she beheld the gathering of Watchers. She thought she recognized a religious fanatic when she saw one. At least, it appeared that this flock was in no condition to attempt any conversions. AS she move through the ring of motionless bodies, the mystic's attention was drawn to the object at the center of each and every Watcher's focus. She wanted to reach out and touch it, to learn about it. However, she was not sure there was enough time, as the baying sounds were nearer.

"Just more curs," Swagger scoffed, "What are you afraid of?"

Jasmal ignored him and did as she was instructed, focusing her attention on Kamesa's crystal. Swagger had something more to say about that, but the genasi was too adept at meditation to be distracted by his insults and demands.

Dim the Drowned|Telephus Lorre
Tribulations of the Stag

Last edited by Grenadier; 01-21-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:19 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 328
Braxx Braxx Braxx Braxx
Slowly Korza's eyes adjusted to the illumination inside the cave, as he took in the still figures. Part of him wanted to reach forward and test how immobile they truly were, but snarling sound reminded him that they were being pursued. Instinctively he gripped the pommel of his hammer tightly in the meaty ham he called a hand, his blood more than eager for battle but there were injured among their numbers and he new they were at a disadvantage not knowing the enemies numbers or capability. For now it was best to retreat and recover, marshal their for es and strike from a position of strength, sounded more tactical sense, so he followed as best as he could, carely trying to avoid hitting any of the still watchers, which was tougher than it looked as he wasn't the most agile or flexible of the group.

One he navigated past the watchers, he would rejoin his companions and wait to see what would happen next.

Last edited by Braxx; 01-21-2017 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections
Old 01-22-2017, 04:22 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 154
Darays Darays
The transition from the lighted exterior to that of a dimmed cavern was of no concern to the elf, as his eyes instantly adjusted to the light levels; the cave could have been blacker than the Underdark, and Xahar would have seen just as well as he had outside.

Ignoring the cultist(?) statues, he quickly glances over the rune, but doesn't make any sense of it. First the damn gnome and her shimmering, now incomprehensible runes. Did magic change when I 'died?' Putting his now unneeded bow away, he looks at the others, watches the 'gnome' slap the rune. Shrugging the elf focuses, reaches out and touches the rune as well.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:27 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 422
Kelda Kelda Kelda Kelda Kelda
Kelda looked around, resisting the urge to giggle. She was a nervous ball of energy, all this running and adrenaline was causing her blood and thoughts to race. She stared at the un-moving ones for several heartbeats, something seemed familiar about this... they were positioned much as her people positioned their Gods around the bonfire, during the feats and festivals. Perhaps these were the Gods of Limbo, it would explain why it seemed they had forsaken this place.

She joined the others around the crystal and gave a silent prayer that she was doing it right before concentrating as Kemesa had said. She focused all of her mind towards the task with the single minded focus she used for hunting and tracking, she was barely breathing, but was still completely conscious of the sounds getting closer. She hoped this worked quickly, she didn't know if she could stand another fight.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:17 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 787
InCORAgible InCORAgible InCORAgible InCORAgible InCORAgible InCORAgible InCORAgible
Briza steadied herself for a moment against one of the frozen figures in the middle of the room. Her heart hammered loudly in her chest and she told herself it was from the quick pace, and not from the moment she had glanced over her shoulder and Kelda’s joyous face had been alight with laughter. The sound had felt like a punch in the gut as she watched grief flee for a moment from her grey eyes. It was something that was so alien to Briza that she struggled with it as they cleared the jagged outcropping of rock, nearly braining herself on a low hanging stalagmite. Happiness. And Ellistrae help her she was the loveliest thing Briza had ever seen. Following the shapes of the others towards the center of the room she couldn’t help but look for Kelda’s outline. What in the blazes was wrong with her? She wondered for a moment if the creature chewing through her brain had impacted her mind even after death? Nothing made sense anymore, nothing felt the same and even her own emotions were running a muck. Hearing Kamesa’s words to focus, she gathered closer alongside the others, and even as she concentrated amidst this stone sea of frozen faces, she couldn’t quite stop the curl of her fingertips into her palm, protecting something precious.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:54 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1473
TheJester TheJester TheJester TheJester TheJester TheJester TheJester TheJester TheJester TheJester
Each of you watch in anticipation as Kamesa's hand swings down with the crystal into the runic symbol etched into the cavern floor. For a moment nothing happens, but each of you begins to feel a tug. A sinking in your stomach, a souring of your emotions, a twitch in your concentration.

You each fight it in your own way. Whether it be steely determination of will, razor keen intellect, pure brute strength, fluidity of mind and body, whatever it is, you fend the distraction off and focus. Or at least this is true for most of the group. The next few things happen in such a sudden flurry of motion and sound it is difficult for any one of you to describe exactly what happens, but you catch snippets that stand out to you.

Xahar's frustration at the unnatural nature of the magic of this place almost caused his concentration to slip, but he felt a calm emanating from other members of the group that focused his thoughts.

A sudden burst of energy flings Ander's body out and away from the group as a semi-transparent dome springs up all around the rest of you.

A suddenly whirl of motion from the center of the group occurs as Kamesa leaps after Ander, her outstretched hand barely missing a grab at his cloak, a snarl of frustration on her face as she tumbles out of the circle before being locked out of the dome around you.

You each watch as a group of gigantic bipedal frog creatures, the Slaadi, burst into the cavern and immediately surround Ander, his weak attempts to struggle no match for gigantic claw tipped arms holding him down.

Kamesa points a finger and shouts something at them, her words muffled and vague, almost as though you are hearing them through rushing water. Your hopes of her acting as savior for your companion are dashed as you see a beam of red light shoot from her outstretched finger and paint a target directly on the old wizard's chest. Those of you with magical backgrounds instantly recognize the sight of a fireball being cast directly at Ander.

Unfortunately none of you get to see the result as suddenly your vision flashes and none of them are there anymore, or perhaps you are no longer there. As your vision clears and you look around you, you begin to realize that the rune you were standing on must have been some kind of transportation rune, because you are now standing in what looks very much like a small park, trees and garden benches surround you. You watch as the crystal floats up in front of your eyes, your gaze following it as it ascends to slowly drift around in the air about 10 feet up, lazily tracing patterns through the air with several other crystals much like it.

An odd sense of disconnect hits you as you look around this peaceful scene. Your only experience since you died has been terror and being hunted, and the scene before you seems out of place in this world of chaos you found yourself in.

You see a commotion at the edge of the small glade you have arrived in, and a large portly man with a smile affixed on his whispy bearded face comes over to you.

"Welcome! Welcome to Sanctuary! We were not prepared for your arrival this way but I trust that this means Kamesa found you!"

The man's face falls a bit as he looks over your group.

"Where is Kamesa? Surely she found you and led you on the path to us?"
Old 01-25-2017, 01:31 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Braxx Braxx Braxx Braxx
It occured so suddenly Korza did not have time to react, as the old man was separated from them. He would have gone after him but suddenly it seemed that time around him was moving at a slightly different pace. Perhaps it was the magic of the rune or perhaps something else because before he could even turn around, they were somewhere else.

Suddenly, at least from his perspective time returned and he took a couple of stumbling steps as his reflexes caught up with his thoughts. Shaking head to clear it of haze, he cautiously looks at the new arrival before replying, "One of our number got separated, she went after him. Is there a way back, they might need my help."

Heading back to a cave filled with fanged frogs wasn't his best idea, but he would hate to leave anyone behind after they had helped the group to get here.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:07 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
TheJester TheJester TheJester TheJester TheJester TheJester TheJester TheJester TheJester TheJester
The portly man's face pales and a distraught look comes over his face at Korza's words. His hands fly almost comically to cover his mouth as he gasps.

"No! The Slaad have Kamesa? I am sorry for your friend but please tell me, did you see them take her? Did she die or did they take her?"
Old 01-26-2017, 06:18 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Uncomfortable after the jump to a new place but relieved to see something green and inviting, Kelda turned towards the man who had approached them. Wishing to ease his distress and better orient herself, she tried to quickly explain what she had witnesses.

"I know she jumped after Ander, I don't know exactly what happened next but I think she cast some kind of spell. Then I didn't see anything else but the last view I had of her, she was alive and fighting."

She shrugged at the end. She didn't believe in mourning warriors as they earned their deaths and thus should be celebrated that they had joined the Gods. However, her companions were different, so she found herself unsure if she should offer condolences. Especially, if Kamesa was still alive but Kelda wasn't sure how she could be. The Slaad had been formidable when it was just one. Kamesa would have been against four, and with out the aid of the others, as all but Ander now stood around her. She stepped back waiting to see if anyone else had seen more.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:11 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Sanctuary

The man shakes his head and mumbles to himself.

"Better that she die than be taken by those monsters, but she knew that. Perhaps there is still hope."

The man very evidently pulls himself together. He stands up tall and puts a smile back on his large face.

"Anyway, welcome. I am sorry it is not under better circumstances. My name is Fengas. As I said, you are in Sanctuary, the nicest place in Limbo, if I can be so bold. We are excited you are here. When the foretellers predicted your arrival we knew we had to come and beseech your aid. Come, you must be tired and hungry. We can provide for any of your needs here."

The man beckons you to follow him as he turns and walks through the greenery, past stone park benches and trees. He leads you through a small gate and you enter into a very odd sight. Small square buildings stretch out in front of you laid out in a very neat grid. Each building has a flat roof that is covered in thickly growing plants and food.

The man stops for a moment and smiles at you as you look over the odd sight in front of you.

"The chaos of Limbo doesn't touch us in here. As you can see, we have organized a very specific strategy for surviving. If it weren't for the monsters we would be not only surviving, but thriving in our lives here. That is what we need you for. I am sorry, I get ahead of myself. Come!"

Fengas leads you down narrow streets until he gets to a row of buildings that are larger than the others. He leads you inside and down a narrow set of steps.

You emerge into a classic inn setting, with a small crowd of people scattered around the room, who all begin cheering as you walk in. The cheers mute slightly as your whole group emerges, and Fengas raises his hands.

"Yes, Kamesa did not come in with them. We are currently unsure of where she is. But please, we are here to show our guests a good time. They are probably tired and hungry."

Fengas leads you to a table where large bowls of steaming vegetable stew are placed in front of you, along with cold flagons of ale. He sits down as well.

"Please, we can talk once you have eaten."

Around you the bustle of a busy inn swirls through the room, although many of the patrons are simply staring at your party, smiling at you if you look at them.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:48 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Braxx Braxx Braxx Braxx
While it grated Korza that he could not head back to help their guide, there was little he could do since he had no idea how to make the device which brought them here work. Stifling his protest, he said to the newcomer, "Well met Fengas. I am called Korza, although to be honest I would say I wish it were under better circumstances."

While he followed the old man, he kept awary eye on their surroundings. Leaving someone behind did not sit well with the goliath but he wasn't prepared to make an issue of it just yet. The buildings were made for much smaller folk, more similar in stature to his companions to of his size and girth but he was careful not to bump into anything unintentionally before gingerly placing his frame on the seat. Drawing from his flagon, he allowed the cold draft quench his thirst and clear the taste of blood and battle from his mouth before digging into the bowl of vegetable stew. The hot broth was both filling and savory yet strangley not familar, he would savor it and let the others to speak while he observed their hosts reactions.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:02 PM
Wizards Only, Fools

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3184
Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier
Jasmal frowned as she picked over the meal. She needed neither food nor drink, and she was hardly in the mood for either. Misfortune had hounded her since she had arrived in that foul world, and she would not be satisfied until she knew what there was that could be done about it. For a brief moment, she thought back to the old wizard. After hearing Fengas worry over whether Kamesa was alive or dead, she was certain that the little lady had attempted to mercy kill the old wizard. "A place where there really is a fate worse than death," she mused to herself as she aimlessly stirred her full bowl of stew.

The servants around them seemed quite chipper all the same, especially for a group of refugees that had just been reminded of their grim situation. Perhaps, they had become aclimated to such hardships, and that was something Jasmal could understand well enough. "Still, get a look at those creepy grins," Swagger expressed to his master, "I'd say we were better off with those big toads than these little freaks." He had never become accustomed to smiling, as his master did so little of it.

"Misfortune will find us here or there," Jasmal responded aloud. She took up a flagon of mead and held it aloft as she continued, "For at least as long as Beshaba nips at our heels. Thus, I make a sacrifice to Lady Doom." She poured some of the ale out of the flagon so that it splashed around her feet. "I welcome her to share in our hearth, and I beseech her to spare us her ire."

"What a waste of ale," was the only response that Swagger gave.

Dim the Drowned|Telephus Lorre
Tribulations of the Stag

Last edited by Grenadier; 01-30-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:10 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 154
Darays Darays
Xahar had stayed silent during this time, trying to decide what exactly he was to make of things. Kamesa killing Ander, her fate, what exactly was going on here...

The elf found himself unusually famished, and ate heartedly. While the ale was passable, he did not partake in much; still wary of the recent events and the unknown position in which he finds himself.

"Is it just me, or was an organized greeting seem a little off to you as well? Ignoring of course, this premonition they had of what I can only surmise to have predicted our deaths." Xahar asks when he finished his meal.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:32 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Braxx Braxx Braxx Braxx
Korza nodded in response to Xahar's statement, it did seem off the goliath but he couldn't think of better words to express how he felt, while he seemed to hearty enjoying his food and drink, his hand never strayed too far from his warhammer.Should their hosts make a mistake in attacking them here, he was certain he would be able lay waste in such closed and confined surroundings.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:43 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Kelda remained quiet, following her companions to the table for food. She ate slowly and warily, only eating a bit quicker after none of her companions died of poison. She pushed the ale away in favor of water. She positioned herself to sit between her elemental sister and her new friend Briza. She would keep these two in her protection, though she doubted that Jasmal needed any help.

Watching the elf curiously. She couldn't help but agree that it did seem odd that they were so prepared for their arrival, but since they did need something from them, perhaps this was the carrot. Something to tempt them or make them feel indebted to the people here, so that they would help them accomplish their goal. When Korza agreed with Xahar, her feeling of disquiet was raised further.

She hoped the explanation came soon, and they would be allowed to retire to rest, she desperately wished to speak to her companions, and despite their friendly and welcoming attitudes, she would prefer to speak to them in private.... maybe even do some observation before agreeing to anything. This place while not as scary as the one they had left was still not right, and she didn't want to linger here if she could help it.