RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-23-2018, 11:55 PM
No heroes left in man...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1057
Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus
Tabletalk

All OOC talk, whether it be casual or game-related, can go in here.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:14 PM
No heroes left in man...

Tools
User Statistics
Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus
First off, welcome, all four of you.

If we're going to coordinate who's getting what skills, now is the time. As far as I can tell, someone would need to go out of their way to learn Arcana. If no one wants to, I can tweak some things behind the scenes and/or provide that information in other ways. Other accommodations for the lack of an arcane caster will be made as they become needed, as well.

Does anyone have any questions about anything so far?
Old 02-25-2018, 04:39 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4395
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
I'd been debating how healing-focused to make Anetsa, and decided to wait to see what the final group looked like. We've got a paladin in the mix too, but he doesn't seem like the excessively heal-y type, so I'm thinking I'll use my feat pick to get Healer and buff up our available supply of hit points.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:56 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14040
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
I have posted my character sheet to the character thread. As of now Ziani is a dual wielding rogue heading towards swashbuckler. There is also the thought of possibly multi-classing. I have stealth and persuasion pretty well covered.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:15 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
A question about a cantrip I was considering taking:

I'm torn about the cantrip infestation, from Xanathar's. It's thematically really perfect for Anetsa as her fall-back damage cantrip (it creates a swarm of biting insects, or in her case, spiders, to do a small amount of poison damage if they fail a Con save). It also causes the target to move 5 feet in a randomized direction if they take the damage - but as written, this movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks if they leave an enemy's reach.

My problem is this: I'd really like to take this cantrip for thematic reasons - but it's a really bad spell as written. If it had the chance of triggering opportunity attacks with the movement, it'd be better, if still pretty chancy (they have to fail the Con save, and then the randomized movement has to move them in a way that takes them out of threat range, which is most likely going to be a 25% to 50% chance). From an IC perspective, it makes sense that it would trigger an attack - if rushing away from an enemy gives them a free swipe at you, then staggering away while frantically swatting at the poisonous spiders crawling all over you probably should, too. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask if you'd a) allow spells from Xanathar's and b) houserule it to have the chance of triggering opportunity attacks. If not, no big deal, I'll just take something else instead.

EDIT: another spell question: would you allow me to reskin Anetsa's entangle spell as filling an area with spiderwebs instead of overgrown plants? Unlike most reskins (and I'm planning for a lot of her spells to be reskinned to be more creepy and spidery) this one would actually have a mechanical effect - giant spiders have the webwalk ability that lets them ignore movement modifiers, so she'd be able to move through the difficult terrain created by her own entangle spell without penalty if she shifted into spider form first. This isn't that big of a deal, but it is getting a slight advantage that the spell wouldn't normally give, so I wanted to ask if it was okay.

I'm sorry to be begging for houserules so early in the process, but I really want to see if I can get the whole spider theme to work without nerfing Anetsa too hard. She's going to be taking a big hit in effectiveness compared to what a Moon Druid can normally do, if for no other reason than that she's not going to be using either the brown bear form or some of the more effective nuke spells - so I'm really not trying to minmax here, I'm just trying to keep her useful while staying on-theme.

Last edited by MemoryBeast; 02-25-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:18 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1912
MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ
Web comes into play as a level 2 spell, would that work better for you so you don’t have to reskin?
Old 02-25-2018, 11:20 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I’ll have a post up and character sheet filled out tomorrow. Just finished DMing for my in-person group and am beat lol. I’m very excited to get started and adventure with you all.

Last edited by MrCeeJ; 02-25-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:32 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCeeJ View Post
Web comes into play as a level 2 spell, would that work better for you so you donít have to reskin?
Web, somehow, is not on the druid spell list. I was going to ask about that when I hit 3rd level, though
Old 02-26-2018, 12:10 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Oh wow, that’s a bit strange. I use the 5E spellbook app and it showed up on there, but you’re right it’s not there in he SRD. Interesting.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2921
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Hey all! Super excited for this! I should be able to get me sheet completed within the next day or so. Currently on vacation at Disney but will try to steal some time. I will definitely try to get a first post up later tonight. Usually I will be able to post within 12 hours but this week is a bit unusual.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:46 AM
No heroes left in man...

Tools
User Statistics
The cantrip change is totally cool. I'd also be alright with adding Web to your list of 2nd level spells. Would that be alright instead of the entangle change?

And no rush, Trm/CeeJ. I just got a promotion at work, so I'm a bit busier than usual.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:51 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Congrats on the promotion. That’s awesome! Really dug the opening DM post and am looking forward to getting started.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:24 PM
No heroes left in man...

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you! I'm going to be doing a sort of official feedback thing at the end of the session/chapter, but I'd love to get any you guys have at any time. It's been a while since I did PbP, so constructive criticism is going to be super helpful.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:41 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Sure thing. I have Coln's character sheet complete and linked in the Character thread. Will be working on my first post and hope to have it up this afternoon as long as work stays kind of slow.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Also, for the 100 gp that we get, I'll probably wait to use it until after speaking with the hooded man. Assuming he may offer some funds if he is enlisting us for some work. This way Coln really would have had an unpaid tab at the tavern until just recently lol.