Game Thread Chapter 1: The Blue Hood - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Beyond Evergrove
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 03-13-2018, 10:58 PM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
No heroes left in man...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-15-2018
RPXP: 1057
Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus
Posts: 2,454
"I must admit," The hooded figure nods their head in what seems to be a sign of respect. "I had come prepared with many arguments to convince you of the importance of this task. There were others who believed nothing short of a bribe would satisfy you, and I am pleasantly surprised that they were wrong. But, I am getting sidetracked, and I did promise you answers. First, what to expect from the forest. As you have a druid among you, it will be important to remember that-"

Ka-chunk ka-chunk ka-chunk ka-chunk ka-chunk!

Perception (3)The sound that breaks through the din of the tavern is unmistakable. Armored feet running down cobbled roads, and then into the very building you sit in.


What must be almost a dozen soldiers burst in through the front door, spears at the ready. They are clad in full armor, and emblazoned on their heavy shields and tabards are white griffons, painted onto fields of red. Their helmets have faceguards stylized as interlocking talons, and hide everything but their eyes. Despite this, when the one in front scans his view to your corner and shouts, his voice rings loud and clear.

"You! Aldercrown!" At this name, the figure leans back, their composure broken for the first time since you met them. "By order of the Lord of Roadstead, you are under arrest, on charges of sedition and attempted regicide!"

"This is impossible. I told no one I would be here." After only a moment's hesitation, Aldercrown shoves a gray ring into the nearest of your open hands, and rises from their seat. "You must escape. Yet more will be coming, and they will not listen to reason from anyone who has been seen speaking with me. Travel north, I will meet you at the canyon's teeth."

And without another word, Aldercrown waves their hand, and appears to melt into the floor, leaving only an empty blue robe. Behind you, the Flask and Club has been completely cleared, and even the unflappable Jerrod has found an excuse to disappear into the back room. All that's left are the soldiers, and with their original target gone, their attention has turned to you.

"You! Throw down your weapons and surrender at once!"

If one of you wishes to make some kind of social check to defuse the situation, doing so will be at disadvantage due to the rather suspicious circumstances you were just found in. You will only be allowed the one check, pass or fail. Everyone else, it's time to roll initiative!
__________________
DM of Beyond Evergrove
Player in Out of the Abyss
-------
Status (3/26/18): On a short hiatus. Work + allergies + probably sick.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-14-2018, 07:41 AM
Begon Ugo's Avatar
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo is online now
Feeding my addiction...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-05-2020
RPXP: 14190
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Posts: 6,861
Games Up
right-aligned image
Ziani hears the sounds of running armored feet and instinctually flinches, Oh, I've heard this sound before! She steals a knowing glance towards the robed man and is not surprised when the tavern door is thrown open. A dozen or so soldiers burst though the opening holding spears and shields. Wow, things just got serious! Ziani panically thinks, whats my play?

"You! Aldercrown! By order of the Lord of Roadstead, you are under arrest, on charges of sedition and attempted regicide! Ziani's eyes narrow as the charges are read against the mysterious stranger. Aldercrown? Ziani's gaze dashes around the room noticing how the tavern has quickly emptied. "This is impossible." The apparent Aldercrown responds. "I told no one I would be here." He hurriedly shoves a grey ring into Anesta's hand as he stands "You must escape. Yet more will be coming, and they will not listen to reason from anyone who has been seen speaking with me. Travel north, I will meet you at the canyon's teeth."

Before any of the group can react, the man waves his hand and literally sinks into the floor, leaving them to deal with the guards. "You! Throw down your weapons and surrender at once!" the head guard yells. Ziani jumps out of her chair as if she was shocked with a lightning bolt. "what the hell was that?!" She turns to the guards, "That creepy old man just vanished..." She quickly shifts gears and assuming a Persuasion Check = 10pouty affect continues, "He said that he was going to pay for our meals if we sat with him and gave him some... Ziani visibly shudders...company"


Actions & Rolls
 



Stats
 

__________________
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
I have taken The Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Begon Ugo; 03-14-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-14-2018, 01:39 PM
MemoryBeast's Avatar
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast is online now
Wreathed in Flame
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-05-2020
RPXP: 4405
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Posts: 2,719
Anetsa
left-aligned image


"Please," Anetsa says soothingly, rising at Ziani's side and raising her empty hands in a placating gesture... and, for once, keeping her spiders to herself. "We know nothing of any sedition or regicide. None of us had even met that man before... we didn't even know his name." Not a word of it untrue, and hopefully her sincerity would show on her face.

"This... Aldercrown... is clearly using us as a distraction," she suggests, keeping her hands carefully upraised as she takes a step forward, towards the armored men. "He must have known you were at his heels, and gathered us about him to delay you. Surely you can see that?"

By the hard expressions on their faces, it did not look like the men could, in fact, see that... they seemed entirely unimpressed with her plea.


 



 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
13/13

Last edited by MemoryBeast; 03-14-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-14-2018, 05:30 PM
Trmmilwwi's Avatar
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-05-2020
RPXP: 2936
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Posts: 2,039
Cabirith
right-aligned image

The sound of dozens of pairs of boots reverberates outside the inn and then the door opens and the noise of footfalls fills the bustling tavern. In a matter of seconds the patrons of the tavern have mostly dispersed and the man in blue, Aldercrown apparently, has vanished into thin air. Knowing that he has only 1 lead and that Aldercrown knows more than he was able to explain, Cab's only thought is to escape so that the group can meet up with him. I will meet you at the canyon's teeth.

Cabirith decides that instant that he will trust the 3 strangers seated at the table. He has no choice with a dozen enemy creatures coming at them.

He yells at the 3 seated nearby, "Flee now! Out the back...". He grabs his shield and raises it between himself and the dozens of men that entered the inn just second ago.

Assuming there is a back door it is their only path to escape. The dragonborn then rises to his full height. His head stops just short of the large timber beams holding up the second floor. The full size of the dragonborn, now seen with no head slumped and his shoulders fully upright, is impressive. He stands 6'-8" tall, clearly a head above any others nearby, and has a chest as round as an ale cask. The 3 allies of Cab's can hear a long breath being drawn in and a click of sorts. The huge creature then takes a second to glance at the 3, shoots his eyes towards the back with a quick push of his head that way essentially silently telling them "GO!!" and turns his head back towards the open room. In an instant a bright orange flash emits from his lips and a cone of fire scorches the floor boards, igniting any tables and chairs nearby. The dragonborn then turns quickly and flees towards the back of the inn.


 
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-14-2018, 06:25 PM
MrCeeJ's Avatar
MrCeeJ MrCeeJ is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-13-2020
RPXP: 1912
MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ
Posts: 2,386
Coln Jor'Rok
left-aligned image
Coln
With the imposing sight of the town guards and the hooded man disappearing, Coln couldn't help but think, Here comes another beating... Though, after witnessing the others stand, he realized he may not be in this brawl alone. Coln readied a staff that could have been easily mistaken for a walking stick, and stood from his chair. However, before he could muster any kind of intimidating presence, the dragonborn beside him hurled a line of flame towards the guards. Changing his plan, the half-orc quickly scanned the room for an escape route.


 


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-14-2018, 09:49 PM
MemoryBeast's Avatar
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast is online now
Wreathed in Flame
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-05-2020
RPXP: 4405
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Posts: 2,719
Anetsa
left-aligned image


Well, that's that, then, Anetsa thinks, with a little grimace of disapproval... but the dragonborn wasn't wrong; these thugs clearly weren't here for a polite chat about who might have done what to whose king. This "Aldercrown" was going to have a lot of explaining to do when they caught him up, abandoning them in such a mess... but first they would have to extricate themselves.

Without the faintest trace of discomfiture in her expression, Anetsa turns and walks briskly after the others as they bolt for the door. As she does so, she flicked a hand through the trailing hem of her cloak, and a handful of tiny white spiders shake free and scuttle in zig-zags across the floorboards and up the legs of chairs and tables... and pursuing soldiers. The white spiders melt into puffs of noxious white mist as fast as they'd appeared, but everywhere they'd stepped, coiling roots and creepers erupt from the dead wood to thrash and snare at the soldiers' feet, impeding their pursuit.



OOC
Moving to follow the others towards the nearest exit.
Casting entangle on the 20' square that will best impede the soldiers chasing after us, catching as many of them as possible in the initial cast area. Those who are in that area have to make a DC 13 Strength save or be restrained until they use an action to successfully retry the save. For everyone, the affected area is difficult terrain, which should keep at least some of them from being able to move to us and attack in the same turn.

Depending on how initiative shakes out, I can hopefully restrain some of them in the area that's actually burning from Cab's fire breath, but if not, the entangled area is between the burning area and the door.




 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
13/13

Last edited by MemoryBeast; 03-14-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-16-2018, 08:58 PM
Begon Ugo's Avatar
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo is online now
Feeding my addiction...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-05-2020
RPXP: 14190
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Posts: 6,861
one for the road
right-aligned image
Ziani, seeing Caleb spew forth fire across the tavern and Anetsa create creeping plants out of spiders, decides it would be best if she joined the others in a swift retreat. As she moved towards the rear entrance of the bar she quickly turned around and just for good measure shot a blast of pure eldritch 15 to hit/ 8 damageenergy at the head soldier. If I take the head off, maybe the snake will die! Without waiting to see the result she runs after her new companions. We sure are stuck together now!

Actions & Rolls
 



Stats
 

__________________
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
I have taken The Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Begon Ugo; 03-16-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-16-2018, 09:51 PM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
No heroes left in man...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-15-2018
RPXP: 1057
Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus
Posts: 2,454
History (11)The Lord of Roadstead rarely directly interferes with ruling the city, normally content to let the traders and merchants manage themselves as they have for centuries. But when he acts, he does so directly, immediately, and with great force. The Griffons are elite soldiers, trained to combat threats mundane and supernatural, and they follow no laws but the Lord's will.


Despite Ziani and Anetsa's very noble attempts to defuse the situation, these soldiers were already prepared for a fight. The thief, along with Coln, are the first to realize this. Quickly, Coln points out the back door that Jerrod disappeared to. He's never seen anyone bring any stock in through the front, there must be a delivery entrance back there! Then he's out the door before the soldiers have a chance to move, and Ziani follows close behind.

"Griffons!" The voice of a tall woman with gilded wings of gold on the sides of her helmet, booms as she points with her spear. "Stop the- augh!" The woman is interrupted by a blast of eldritch power slamming into her chest, and she stumbles back, but stays on her feet, repeating her order through gritted teeth. "Stop them!"

Four of them are quick enough to react, charging in towards the remaining two. They are greeted by a gout of flame from the mouth of the dragonborn. Unfortunately, this is when their training kicks in, and they thrust blindly into the fire that Cabirith has tried to use as cover for his escape. Three of the spears strike home, leaving deep wounds that, together, would have felled a lesser mortal. There is no question that they are fighting to kill.

Anetsa tosses a spell behind her as she follows the others, but the soldiers, already charged on adrenaline and prepared for spellcasters, break through the entanglement almost without noticing it.

"Squad Three, circle around the back! Squad Two, cut off the casters!" Their incorrect assumption that the dragonborn is a spellcaster does little to make their tactics any less effective. Ziani, Cabirith and Anetsa find their escape route cut off by a wall of spears and shields as they try to weave through tables and the bar counter, just in time to see the last four dutifully rush outside.

 


Beyond the DoorColn ducks past spears as he rushes into the back room, the sounds of metal boots on wooden floor not far behind. As he shoulders through the door, he realizes he's no longer being followed, by either friend or foe; the weighted door swinging back into its closed position unopposed. Jerrod is already back here, as well as a few patrons who were quick enough to get out this way.

"Coln!" The half-orc has never heard Jerrod raise his voice, especially not in anger, but he does now. A key of rough bronze is in his hand, already held halfway to the lock. "What did you do to get that money?!"

Jerrod is open to a single social Action of some kind. The back door has a lock that would need to be unlocked or broken before an escape could be made, and the sounds of combat from the front are still very clear.


InitiativeZiani - 23
Coln - 21

Soldier Group #1 - 18 [8 + 2d6 damage]
Cabirith - 14
Anetsa - 13
Soldier Group #2 - 5
Soldier Group #3 - 3


It is Ziani and Coln's turns.
__________________
DM of Beyond Evergrove
Player in Out of the Abyss
-------
Status (3/26/18): On a short hiatus. Work + allergies + probably sick.

Last edited by Prometheus; 03-16-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-16-2018, 10:41 PM
Begon Ugo's Avatar
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo is online now
Feeding my addiction...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-05-2020
RPXP: 14190
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Posts: 6,861
Blaze of Glory
right-aligned image
Ziani dashes to the back of the tavern but to no avail as her retreat is cut of by a wall of spears and shields. Damn that old bastard! She whirls around and again locks eyes with the pompous woman with the winged helmet. "If I'm going down so are you witch" she growls as she sweeps her Hex targeting dexterityhand in the Sergeants direction and releases a pure blue bolt of magical anger. Ziani grins in satisfaction as she sees her beautiful Damage = 11 + hex on dexterityblue bolt fly true.


Actions & Rolls
 


Stats
 

__________________
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
I have taken The Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Begon Ugo; 03-16-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-17-2018, 01:47 AM
MrCeeJ's Avatar
MrCeeJ MrCeeJ is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-13-2020
RPXP: 1912
MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ MrCeeJ
Posts: 2,386
Coln Jor'Rok
left-aligned image
Coln
Coln approached the locked door and Rolled 13 for Persuasionpled with the angry barkeep. "I did nothing, Jerrod. I don't even know who that man was, but we need to leave here. Please, open that door. Otherwise, you may not have much of a bar left." The half-orc pointed to the flame-engulfed battle raging beyond the entryway behind him.

 


 


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by MrCeeJ; 03-17-2018 at 01:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-18-2018, 01:05 AM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
No heroes left in man...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-15-2018
RPXP: 1057
Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus
Posts: 2,454
The bolt does indeed strike true, and the sergeant lets out a choked cry of pain as she's thrown back several feet. She crashes through the flagons and plates laid out on one of the long tables, and falls off the other end, and lays still.

Every soldier still in the building sees their commander laying on the ground. They fly into a fury, and redouble their efforts. They're no longer just fugitives, they're copkillers.

Groups 1 and 2 are now disorganized, but enraged. They will receive +1 to attack and damage rolls, but -1 to AC and saving throws.

The closest ones to their fallen leader act immediately, thrusting their spears into the momentarily-distracted Ziani without hesitation.

Beyond the Door"Coln, look, I-..." Jerrod hesitates for a moment, then lets out a long, heavy breath. The key pushes into the lock and turns with a heavy click, and the door swings open. "If anyone asks, I'm going to say you went through by force, but... I'm not going to stop you. Just go."


 


InitiativeZiani - 23 [13/27 HP]
Coln - 21
Soldier Group #1 - 18 [28 damage, sergeant down, enraged]
Cabirith - 14 [17/30 HP]
Anetsa - 13

Soldier Group #2 - 5 [enraged]
Soldier Group #3 - 3


Cabirith and Anetsa, you're up.
__________________
DM of Beyond Evergrove
Player in Out of the Abyss
-------
Status (3/26/18): On a short hiatus. Work + allergies + probably sick.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-18-2018, 09:10 AM
MemoryBeast's Avatar
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast is online now
Wreathed in Flame
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-05-2020
RPXP: 4405
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Posts: 2,719
Anetsa
left-aligned image

Anetsa hisses in frustration as the guards rip through her entangling spell as though it weren't even there, circling about the group and cutting them off from the door through which the half-orc fled. Her frustration turns to shock, and the color (such as it is) drains from her face, as Ziani's eldritch attack fells the wing-helmeted sergeant and the other soldiers retaliate with vicious spear-thrusts.

Well, the moment to surrender peacably has clearly come and gone, Anetsa notes, as the dragonborn and the warlock fall back on either side of her, hemmed in by bristling spears. If the soldiers weren't planning on killing them all first and sorting out their actual guilt later, they certainly are now. I'd really been hoping to avoid this... but something tells me we're not going to be welcome again in this establishment anyway.

"You know what to do, Teodor," she murmurs to the hand-sized white spider that crawls up from beneath her mantle and perches attentively on her shoulder. Teodor waggles his forelegs in agreement... he's always been more biddable than the late husband for whom she'd named him... and then scuttles down Anetsa's body and across the tavern floor. He races among the legs of the soldiers barring their way to the door, crawling over their feet and up their legs, nimbly dodging away and leaping to the next as they swat at him in disgust and alarm. Even enraged and murderous, nobody likes having a big spider crawling all over them, and this is a very big spider.

Relatively speaking.


right-aligned image

"Both of you, get to the door," Anetsa murmurs... and then changes. Her slender form twists, warps, and bulges, swelling into a bulbous white arachnid body from which erupt eight spindly, spine-covered legs. Her pretty face seems to split open, twitching chelicerae and venom-dripping fangs emerging from between her lips. In the span of a moment, the pale young woman has been replaced by a grotesque spider, large as a horse. Its carapace is as white as Anetsa's skin, save for its head - the red peony she wore in her hair a moment ago bleeds across its horrid arachnid face, rendering the entire creature a hideous parody of the Voras clan's red-on-white insignia.

Even as the soldiers by the door look up from dealing with the much smaller spider pestering them and gape in horror at this new abomination, Anetsa crawls up the wall beside the door, unnervingly nimble for something so large, and hangs over the soldiers from the ceiling, her arachnid legs clinging to the rafters. She screeches and hisses at the soldiers, her venomous fangs flexing menacingly, but rather than lunge down for a bite, she whips her abdomen towards them instead, disgorging a cloud of sticky webbing from her spinnerets to bind them in place.


 



 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
13/13

Last edited by MemoryBeast; 03-18-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-18-2018, 11:43 AM
Trmmilwwi's Avatar
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-05-2020
RPXP: 2936
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Posts: 2,039
Cabirith
right-aligned image
The dozen or so creatures in the main room of the tavern break into a huge tangle of chaos. As the fire that Cab unleashed towards the soldiers starts to dissipate the dragonborn feels pain in his chest. Looking down he sees 3 puncture wounds. He then notices that the soldiers have split into 2 separate groups and have come around the fire he unleashed from each direction. Glancing back at the back exit from the main room he cannot see Coln. He must have found a way out. Cab turned to attack the group that was blocking their exit path and saw a crazy sight.

Anetsa said something to her spider nearby and in an instant the cold looking woman started to morph into a huge spider. She took to the ceiling in spider form and cast some webbing down towards the group blocking Cab's path. Sensing there may be an opening to escape Cab didn' t think twice. He made a move towards the back door. As he ducked to the side of the soldiering group, instead of drawing a weapon and slowing himself down, Cab grabbed a piece of parchment from his belt. He recited a few words from the parchment, held it up back towards the huge spider, motioned it in a quick half circle around the spider form and whispered May the will of Jovess the Red Shield of Faithprotect this spider from harm. He turned and ran towards the back door.


 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB