RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-15-2018, 02:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3095
Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq
Definitely interested, I'll get an app up this weekend at the lastest after I read over the free rule set. My race is either going to be an insect inspired by the aliens from endors game, though with more intelligence and independence, but still a single minded devotion to the hive.

Or a race of ratmen like from Warhammers skaven, but less cliche evil.

Question now that I've looked over the book, would it be acceptable to play a sort of mayor/governor? I'm thinking something along the lines of a very powerful mage who lives in a somewhat despotic society where mages rule the masses.

Last edited by Zazaq; 02-15-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8978
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
@CorpZeWolVe A shade is something like a race touched by an interdimensional plane, right? I have not thought about the different planes of existence that are part of this universe, but I guess it's a possibility to have them. Also, the system has no classes anyway, so we can just work out what you would like your character to be able to do. No magic certainly eliminates the need to learn those rules, so it is true that it may speed up char generation.

@Zazaq I like both ideas, and there are some great applicable advantages for hivelike creatures. Also it's absolutely possible to play someone with administrative power, all you would need is to buy some rank (which is not covered in the lite rules, but coexists or replaces status at around the same cost, depending on what organisation you have rank in).

The only thing is, the way I laid it out you will all be starting in one of the two mixed race islands that are either a city state or a kingdom, so you could all be in around the same place starting out. But I guess we could still fit you in there somewhere. You may be the mayor of a one race town for example, or the administrator of a district in a larger city that has majorly your guys in it. Your race would have the tendency to clump together by nature. Alternatively, especially if you plan on going the mage route, you could be a high ranking member of a magical organisation of your design that pulls some of the strings on one of the islands.

But since we are operating on a point buy system you may not start out being very powerful... but normal powerful we could probably get to.

Last edited by Phettberg; 02-15-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:17 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4463
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
I'm in. I'll have to muddle the race/nation idea in my head for a bit. There are many ideas I have. If I haven't responded and things are getting ready to start, ping me with a message.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:30 AM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
jwpacker
Just saw your post over on twitter about the game and am posting interest. I'll definitely need to think about race/character ideas for a minute before I put together an application, but will edit this post when I get something together.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:50 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
The Eternal KingdomI already wrote all this crap out so I thought I might as well share it in case Phett wanted to use it.

A truly magical place, started nearly 400 years ago by one now only known as The Alchemist. The one who brewed what so many sought, a potion of immortality. A magical sweet tasting elixir that would extend the life of any race for over a hundred years. In there great wisdom the alchemist shared his miracle, though not the recipe for its creation, and who did he bestow his gift upon? Mages, those who risked their lives and souls to study the arcane, those who had the power to truly shape the world. All they asked was loyalty and in return you could receive power, land, and the freedom to do with both whatever you willed.No city and few towns in the Eternal Kingdoms borders are without a powerful mage guarding and governing them. Independent, often to the point of plotting and even warring against each other. None the less when The Alchemist gives the word in his hidden ways, they will unite and they will do as ordered, less they surely lose their most precious gift.

Race: The Tunnelers are a race of enormous beetle like bug men that originated somewhere deep underground. With a hard exoskeleton and senses of smell that no human could match they survive well even on the surface they were never meant to tread. While independent of mind, each and every one shares an ultimate devotion to their hive. Not even one would not die for the good of the collective. They are coldly pragmatic, ruthless but not viscous, selfish but not cruel.

The Nation of Race: Who knows how many different hives there are in the south, but the south is full of them, and some will kill you on sight. I hear different hives kill each other on sight, seriously, apparently they can smell different to each other. A given hive could have anywhere from a thousand to tens of thousands of tunnelers, most of which dig outward endlessly. For its from the hollow earth, from the tunnels that their druidic mages draw their power. And it is this power that creates the wards and enchantments needed to dig down ever deeper. Every hive has the same goal, to reach the core and awaken their god. The Hive that succeeds will be transcended into something greater then mortal, something almost equal to god. Something that will rule alongside him in the new world that is created. For now though each hive is ruled by the talkers, a caste of variable size that will bicker and debate and eventually decide how the hive will act. Society is not like that of man. The talkers control everything with unquestioned obedience, everyone works tell dusk and everyone has enough to eat plus a safe place to sleep.

Character: There is one more caste among the tunnelers, the explorers Their purpose is two fold, they allow other societies to interact with the bug men prior to their mines suddenly being torn open by the strange creatures. While also finding useful items to help their hive dig or defend itself. Though these days most of them just work to bring in coin, which they exchange for steel tools for the colony. Muxuk is one of these explorers, a mercenary by trade who generally finds himself employed as a bodyguard. A big scary bug to stand behind the kind of man who wants to scare people. If he's not sleeping he's working, even if its just some kind of menial labor to bring in a few extra coppers. He is quiet and helpful. Quiet out of necessity, the voice of his kind is generally found unnerving and frightening. Helpful because he is a representative of his species, its better people like his species. Make no mistake though if he could slit a mans throat and get away without getting caught he would. After all its for the good of the hive.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:05 AM
I win with JJCP.~

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 688
CorpZeWolVe CorpZeWolVe CorpZeWolVe CorpZeWolVe CorpZeWolVe CorpZeWolVe
@Phettberg

Well, I wanted to have my character's extra-planar abilities to be focused specifically on the use of a magical sword that essentially was for all intensive purposes mercury that would magnetize when striking other swords so that it could effectively grab it from their hand and be thrown afterwards and reform, but probably a bit too much mechanics at that point.

I could also go for something different as well though, but my ideas are always somewhat imo broken a bit. The one I was about to put forward would be the idea that the shade eats light to gain power as well as the initial abilities, but I guess there's a lot of things you could technically do with it considering its base racial definition.

I'll have to think of something more concrete.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:23 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
@CorpZeWolVe I am not too crazy about bringing planes of existence into the racial generation. A very large amount of very specific planes and people 'touched' by them is a very integral concept to dungeons and dragons, and i don't want to simply pluck it out of there. I want races that are of this world and this world alone. So whatever you do approach it more from the biological side of things. Not that I mean things have to be realistic, far from it, but stuff should be inherent to the race.

As I said, Planes might theoretically still exist, because Gurps also accounts for them in that is has spells related to Planes, but it's not something I am actually very interested in.

Last edited by Phettberg; 02-16-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:05 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
So uh Phett does my bug man thing work? Or is it mandatory that the civilization/race we create is common and their 'kingdom' is one of the city states on the island? Like I said earlier I'm still thinking of making a ratmen race which might fit better in that sort of setting.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:41 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
@Zazaq Bug man works well for me, so go for it. I will get in you in the game thread soon. At the moment I'm still setting shop up there, working on some how-to and resource threads. But some feedback right now: It was intended that the main nation for your race is located somewhere on either of the continents, but not that your character is from there - only his ancestors were.

But since it is a hive-like species with a subterranean lifestyle what number of the species exist on the islands would band together to tunnel underneath one of them - the population levels would just be smaller compared to the main continental hive. In any case, maybe this is how you intended it anyway. The Kingdom of Taytomac has lots and lots of mines, so it would only make sense if most bugmen on the broken bridge lived there. I guess they would even be put in charge, since that's what they do best. In exchange they can use the leftover tunnels. But they are not supposed to have their own nation state right on Taytomac or to have strong ties to their continental brothers, they are still 'citizens of Taytomac' or whatever you'd call it.

So while I am a huge skaven fan we are totally on the right track. Just a bit of ironing out the fluff. The character sounds good as well, but since you were the quickest I would maybe play with some other ideas too while we wait for other peoples plans to trickle in. Well, in case you want to avoid overlap, that is. I don't mind if there is more than one archetype.

@All I'll have the Game thread ready soon. Those of you that are still up for it please give me at least a sneak peek of the ideas you are toying around with in the near future, because only as the concepts are becoming a touch more concrete will I send out the link bit by bit. There is still no deadline though.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1941
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
I will try to post more tomorrow. My idea is:
A vaguely lizard race, with a tail that is not particularly useful in combat but might grant tiny bonuses elsewhere.
The might have a slight bonus to STR/DEX and a slight penalty to INT.
My character is a bit of an outsider among his king because he fights with a different type of weapon that most of his folks do.
He would mainly fight with a light fencing sword, striking, parrying, and dodging. He would not wear much armor, and his scales provide only a small bonus to armor.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:21 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
@Ericg1s Lizards are always a favourite. The classical european fencing weapons like smallsword, rapier et cetera are a bit on the high end in terms of technology for this setting (so TL4 in contrast to the overall 3), but we can figure something out. These weapons are around, but not in high quantities. I may just up the price a little. The lowest TL full on fencing sword that Gurps acknowledges is a chinese jian style sword, which I guess is accurate, considering it has been around for four thousand years on earth, and for like 700 years in it's almost current form. Mabye it's something you'd consider.

Anyways, I decided to send out the first rounds of invitations. I'm out most of tomorrow, so more will follow some time after then depending on player activity.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:04 PM
The red pandas are coming

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17517
LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA
I'm going to withdraw my interest on this one. It would be too much for my load considering games I recently got into. Best of luck everyone!
Old 02-17-2018, 04:41 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1423
Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon
I have been interested in the GURPS system for some time, and the premise for your game looks really cool.

Here is what it inspired me to write.:

Race: The Leonids are a race of anthropomorphic lions that originated in the savanna on the western continent. On average, Leonids male are between 7 ft 6 in and 8 ft tall and weigh between 360 and 380 pounds, while females vary between 6 ft 10 in and 7 ft 4 in and weigh between 165 and 200 pounds. Honor and courage is paramount among the Leonids, they are a proud race of warriors (males) and hunters (females). One’s social status within the pride is solely determined by one’s valor in combat or during the hunt. Noble and obstinately devoted to their traditions, Lionids are known to always be truthful and to keep their words even to the point of self-detriment.

The Nation of The Leonids: Leonids do not form a nation per say, that is they do not all recognize a single government with a single ruler, rather they are dispersed among several tribes (called prides) which function on what most would consider a primitive form of governance. These prides comprise usually of about 30 individuals and no one knows exactly how many prides exist at any single time in the whole of the savanna, as doing a census of Leonids is a task that even the bravest of scholar would not dare to undertake. Never the less, expert opinions on the subject seem to agree that the Leonids are one of the less populous races of the world.

Each pride is led by a chieftain; which is its most respected warrior in the pride. The chieftain is determined by single combat and can at any time be challenged for his position by members within the pride or vagabond Leonids who which to takeover a pride. Due to the difference in size and raw power in a strait up confrontation, it is usually males who occupy the position of chieftains, but some females have been known to be leaders of their own prides. Every other member in a pride occupies an informal rank according to his or her reputation as a warrior or hunter and though there is no title for these ranks, every member of a pride implicitly knows its place in the pecking order. These ranks are fluid though and recent exploits or failures influence directly the standing of a member within the pride’s hierarchy.

Each pride controls a territory in the savanna and although no map shows the exact frontier of each territory, the Leonids know precisely the limits of their territory and they fiercely defend them against other prides as well as non-Leonid intruders.
Due to their impressive physical stature and martial prowess, Lionids have long been praised as mercenaries by other races who look to hire them (another advantage of Lionids mercenary is that they are so honor-bound, they never turn on their employer). The ancient general Telemachus was quoted as saying: “Give me ten legions of Leonids, and I’ll conquer the world”. It is worth mentioning that no army in history has ever fielded even a single legion of Leonids since there are too few of them, but this might be a good thing since there is no imagining the sheer level of carnage a legion of Leonids could unleash upon the world.

A custom of the Lionids has contributed to the number of Leonid mercenaries; when a male Lionid reaches the age of 13, he is cast off from his pride and left to fend for himself. Back in the old days, young castoffs from a same pride would usually band together for survival in the savanna until they where strong enough to challenge the ruler of another pride and take it over. Some of these young vagabond Leonids where eventually hired as mercenaries by other species to fight in foreign wars (for Leonids everything that exists outside the savanna is foreign), and this practice eventually became a tradition. The more the Leonides distinguished themselves on the field of battel, the more they were praised as mercenaries, and the more recruiters sought after them. This eventually lead to an unprecedented event in the history of the Leonides; whole communities of Leonides who lived outside of the savanna. Though female vagabonds are rarer amongst the Leonids, for various reasons some females choose this life, and some of them also hired themselves out as mercenary, which lead to another unprecedented event, the first births of Leonids outside of the savanna.

Character: Chaar is a male Leonid living on Vinione, where he was born and raised, and who works as a mercenary for one of the city states. Like all members of his race, Chaar is brave, stoic and a traditionalist. He values actions over words and honor is the only currency that really matters to him. He is good hearted but is quickly to anger and has no tolerance for people with no honor. During his free time, when he is not owning his skills as a warrior, he likes to wonder in the wild outside the cities of Vinione, as he feels this is the closest he can get to living in the savanna which he has never known but longs for all the same.

You got me once! But you won't get me twice, Finrod the sneaky!
Old 02-18-2018, 08:56 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome Finrod!

To everyone else: There is still plenty of space in the game, so get your Ideas in here and I'll send out the invites!
Old 02-18-2018, 06:20 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 361
Sivartius Sivartius Sivartius Sivartius
I am Very interested. I haven't played GURPS before, but I've read a bunch of 3rd ed material. I've finally gotten a copy of the 4th ed core rulebook, and am looking forward to enjoying the system. I have 2 different race ideas, depending on which you think would fit your setting better.

1st:
Race: The Gartnerbaume are a race of sentient giant sequoias who have a symbiotic relationship with a species of giant land tortises (who's shell exterior provides a mobile pot,) and a colony of flying insects, (who provide fine manipulation.) Gartnerbaumes live very long lives, and never stop growing, so when they grow to big to be carried, they are planted in the ground, and live the rest of their lives stationary. Gartnerbaum have very few needs besides sunlight, water, occasional fertilizer and protection from fires and axes.
The Nation of Race: The Forest of Walking Trees is one of the largest groupings of Gartnerbaum. It's territory is largely unexplored by outsiders. Outsiders are not forbidden, but they are discouraged, and lighting fires or cutting wood will get a traveler in a lot of trouble very quickly. Once a Gartnerbaum becomes stationary they often become introspective, and the Forest of Walking Trees is a premier location for those who enjoy Philosophy & esoteric discussion. Magic is highly valued for the way it allows new possibilities.
Character: Grunesholz is very young for a Gartnerbaum, being only 17 years old. He and several sapling mages were sent out when the Elders felt the stirring of increased magic in their leaves. There is extensive debate over the cause of the shift, as well as what it means for the gartnerbaum, and they were sent out to gather more concrete information for the discussion.