RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 04-12-2018, 11:07 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8978
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Hear ye Hear ye!

I now have five great players already up and running in their individual stories, moving ever closer to being combined into a bigger plot.

What pained me though is that I have nobody that wanted to play anything in the way of a priest, so I thought I would see if anybody was around that would be interested in filling that role:

APPLY NOW
  • Do you want to be a Priest? Any kind of Priest is possible, design it yourself! Warrior Priest, Spellslinging Shaman, Scholastic Theologian, Death Priest, Life Priest, Priest of Meat Filled Pies - anything you want to do you can (As long as worship of a God is included in any form)!
  • Design a Fantastic Race for yourself (or pick one of the already established ones or of the few monster races I have introduced)!
  • Design your Patron God (and their whole Pantheon, if you feel like it)!

The Application can be a little shorter here - I basically want to know if you would like to design an additional race or not (otherwise I can give you the info on the preexisting ones), what kind of a priest and god you would have in mind, and what kind of tone the overarching Pantheon has.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:05 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
For those that are not familiar with Gurps I'll provide all the free documentation that is available for the system in addition to a few guides that I've written to help people through character creation. There is no experience with the system required. I should have probably clarified this again - I am more interested in ideas than mechanics and as such am not specifically looking for people very familiar with Gurps.

And if you are not usually the Cleric-playing type I should emphasise again that the priest can be of any variety. Which spells your god grants would be dependent on what kind of god you write up obviously, so in combination with thinking how the priesthood of said god behaves the character of your design could be like any archetypical other 'class' with additional spells, or something more complicated altogether.

Dare to apply!
Old 04-15-2018, 02:58 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Actually it turns out I am still looking for two players.

Application is open again for everybody - but this will be my last bump in a while.

-
Cleric/Priest/Shaman/Divinely Touched Character Wanted, plus a second Character of any Variety
Old 04-30-2018, 06:56 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 457
Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub Gaekub
Tagging for interest. I have some knowledge of GURPS but only second hand. If you`re still looking for a divine-y character I could probably fill that role, it`s a character type I like.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:20 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaekub View Post
Tagging for interest. I have some knowledge of GURPS but only second hand. If you`re still looking for a divine-y character I could probably fill that role, it`s a character type I like.
Send me a Pm with your Ideas - I actually had two players join already but I will consider it. Forgot to update the Thread because it had already moved down to page three.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:20 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Anybody up for some Fantasy Adventure in a unique Setting where things are about to go South very fast? The time for heroics is now!

Bumping this yet again. The Game is running along nicely - but there was another dropout and I am considering a replacement. This time around I am looking specifically for non magical character ideas.

System is still Gurps, but with some measures taken to speed up combat. 200 point buy characters to start.

People that want to join will still have the option of pitching me a few ideas for a race of their own, but they can also pick one of the unused (as PCs) races of the world and make a character with it.

For a description of the Races see here. The races still left untaken are as follows:
  • Ux (Mollusc/Sludgepeople)
  • Getta (Porcupinepeople)
  • Rak'Ari (Dragonlike Lizardpeople)
  • Tsing Goun (Vulturepeople)
  • Argali (Goatpeople)

Last edited by Phettberg; 08-09-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:11 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Ravenspath
Hi, are you still looking for characters? I've done a bit of GURPS though it has been years since I last played. And my favorite D&D class is priest than enjoy playing whatever you need.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:50 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1954
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Race: Getta

Nation: Empire of Poyne, most recently Yepac

Character: Chipiriro, often called Chip by non-Gettas, once held a job as a leatherworker for one whole year, earning him a reputation for extraordinary focus and patience among his race. He might have stayed longer if it weren't for the barfight involving that priest's son. But "Porky" is just a hurtful word, so he couldn't help explaining pointedly the error of the young man's ways. Anyway being a merchant's security guard is pretty fun too and you're allowed to hit people sometimes. But it would be nice to be creative again for a while. As long as hitting people happened every so often.

OOCI own Discworld GURPS and ran a very brief adventure just to get to know it. But that's the limit of my experience with the system.

Last edited by Yoshimi; 08-09-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:50 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
More interest - I was not expecting that seeing as my ad had wandered so far down the pagelist. My original bump two months ago was answered by a player, and we are now up to seven again.

Having said that, I might consider letting more players in, as people interested in Gurps are hard to come by. A few notes so you can custom tailor your character ideas:

I initially wanted only characters that were born and raised on either Vinione or Taytomac (but this problem has come up a lot, so it's clearly my mistake for not putting it explicitly into the ad). At this point it may be less important to stick to that than it was starting out, but I do need characters that have a reason to be in Vinione right now, as that's where all the characters are gathered.

Actually they are all about to gather in a private army of sorts because mysterious humans have attacked the island, coming seemingly out of nowhere. As such it may be an interesting time to play a human (who are on this side of the world a minority). Also I might not stick new characters with the main group immediately, but have them in a solo (or duo, for that matter) thread first to ease them into the setting, just so you know.

Also I am still kind of accepting new ideas for races if I like them (though sticking to those that are already there is also fine). If you want to pitch me some I would recommend the following: Do not write up a long description for one idea that you really love - I may feel like it does not fit the setting and then all that work was for naught. Instead I would want you to give me multiple (probably three or more) one paragraph ideas, and then I can tell you which could work, and which couldn't and we can go from there.

Since I have already blocked out the world immeditely surrounding the area of the Broken Bridge any new race would be from far away, and therefore the character a strange, scary or awe-inspiring novelty. Because of that I may drop my restriction on 50 points maximum used on racial templates (if either of you comes up with something outrageously fun enough).

There is no one character "class" that is missing from the group any more. 4 out of 7 people have access to magic though, so a mundane character might still be more desireable. Maybe something out of the box would also click better than thinking in terms of commonly used classes. A 200 point craftsman or other artist could be something (although as far as I know there are only fancy rules to adapt and improve weapons, not armour), or maybe somebody who is more defined in terms of status than others (i.e. a noble or dignitary), or a monstrous race or whatever else floats your goat.

Anyway - thanks for the interest. With everything of the above said the both of you might have a clearer idea of what I am looking for at this point.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:36 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Here is one idea, too tired to write 3 tonight but will think of some others as this one is probably far-fetched.

Race: Ufan (Flour Golem)

Nation: Vinja

Character: Many centuries ago in the Vinjan swamp, the crone Azwai'ya worked her lonely animistic magics. Household implements, furniture, and even her dwelling on its stilt-like legs were enchanted with life spirit to move about, amusing her and doing her bidding. But she yearned above all for a family, and one day set to work shaping a crude human-form daughter and son out of ingredients in her kitchen: flour, water, brown sugar, ginger root, yeast. She decorated her creations with brightly colored icing and sweets to create handsome clothes, and infused the figures with her magic. But although she was delighted with the creatures, the happiness did not last long as the Ufan (or flour golems) as they became locally known fell into dark depression and became listless. When the source of their discontent became clear, Azwai'ya cast one final spell that drained away her own life, granting the Ufan the ability to create new replicas of themselves. Although slow to reproduce and never numerous, these surprisingly tough and hardy creatures make tireless laborers and even fearsome and implacable fighters. They possess some innate resistance to magic but no ability to use it themselves except to reproduce, and they tend to be good at feats requiring stamina or strength but have little fine motor dexterity. Atale is descended from the original pair, but unlike those distant decorated ancestors she has the modern Ufan's tendency toward dressing herself in skins, scales, and woven material that she obtains herself. As such she is rather skilled with spears, blunt weapons, and snares although not trained specifically as a warrior. The recent descent of Vinja into a new dark ages has been accompanied by superstition and ignorance with persecution of her kind growing. Thus, she fled from her homeland in search of more enlightened regions.

Last edited by Yoshimi; 08-09-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:34 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Right now I am much more open to looking at the far fetched to be honest - but if we are talking race first please give me the next ones in a form more focused on the description of the species and shorter to begin with (so not thinking about character). What you have here is fine, but I was more thinking quick shooting ideas like "Walrus people with wings", "Half man half Rhinoceros Minotaur" and stuff like that. Though it could also be a little more than one sentence it's easier to give feedback about the core concept if it is very condensed. For the above "Uxian self replicating Flour (or maybe more like bread) Golems" would have sufficed for the time being, for example.

I'll comment on the idea above when you have more than one, but I'm loving the creative energy so far, so keep it up!

Last edited by Phettberg; 08-10-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:14 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ah gotcha.

2 more then:

1) Human-sized gelatinous shapeshifters, each one a colony of millions of sentient cells with a collective consciousness, but each colony with a unique personality. Tend toward scholarliness and diplomacy, as arguing with oneself a lot gives good practice at solving problems and being thoughtful.

2) Short woodpecker people with clawed hands at the ends of their wings, that can glide but not fly. Quite good at sculpture-related crafting, getting past locked doors, and armor-piercing. But generally not too bright, as having a skull designed for ramming your face through solid objects doesn’t leave room for a large brain.

Last edited by Yoshimi; 08-10-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:31 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Right, so a little note on the three ideas:

Shapeshifters - Actually hard to do even if you spend almost all points on the racial template, so I am not that into it. Or at least I think there would be barely any points left to put into a character. The Shapeshifting alone is very costly, even if it is only cosmetic, and then you still need a good amount of advantages to simulate a body made up of a multitude of different organisms. It would be hard to balance with disadvantages, and the payoff would not be as big as one might think.

Woodpeckers - It seems interesting, but I feel like it is more something I was looking for when I first started the game and designed the setting with the players - not so expensive, a few perks but no outrageous abilities. It does not necessarily fit with my idea of introducing a more exotic character, or if the race were exotic it would merely be because they come from afar, not because they are hugely different. In fact the Tsing Goun are already a (albeit large) birdlike race that can only glide with their wings. Having said that, in the back of my mind I was actually also toying with a second birdlike race to put into the far corners of the world (because there is quite a huge part of the map that is 'unexplored' mostly) - just because I like to have different races of vaguely the same type of animal, like we do with reptiles now. Maybe this could be this race, but it might need a slight redesign to make it a bit more crazy. It might help to look up the worlds strangest/ugliest birds, or just to throw some random weird traits at it.

Flour Golem - Right now I am liking this the most, for these reasons: We could adapt the Clay Golem template easily enough, dropping all the mental traits that make them docile while adding some weaknesses that are unique to this material (water, for example). I don't think it would even be that expensive to be honest. There are a lot of unique physical traits that come with it to make the race different from other things in the world, in addition to a social stigma that comes from having been property at some point giving us a few good roleplaying hooks.

So yeah, I think the Flour Golem is a very valid option, with the woodpeckers (or a smallish type of birdperson in general) also on the table - even though they would need a bit more strange to them (which to be fair, does not always need to be mechanical, it can also be in the description). Or you could still pick one of the premade races above, or if you have more ideas germinating you can also bounce more off of me. I do quite enjoy discussing potential races.

Last edited by Phettberg; 08-10-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:29 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ok cool. I had put the most thought into the golem anyway. So if you think it would work I can try it out. If you would rather I wait until another player resigns that is ok too.

Other bird ideas though...I don’t know if any real life birds are that bizarre. To be different than vultures it could be an ostrich-like version that can’t fly at all but is tall, can run real fast, and kicks real hard.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:12 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
No, if you want to go Golem that is fine by me. Also we can funnel you into the game sooner, but as I said I might start you off with a solo thread, like I did with 90% of the other players. It's usually good to ease somebody into setting and system and so on and so forth.

Since I don't want to clog the ad thread I have created a private thread for you and me to discuss the character further, which is here.