RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 08-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Expressing interest. I love GURPS though only have 2nd Edition. I think am Ursoid race would be fun to play. A sort of Wookie!
Old 08-10-2018, 06:03 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8978
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwalin McFundin View Post
Expressing interest. I love GURPS though only have 2nd Edition. I think am Ursoid race would be fun to play. A sort of Wookie!
I'll have to sleep on it, honestly. Since it looks like I will soon be up to eight players I'll have to really think whether I could sustain more than that many players.

But thank you for your interest, and I'll get back to you this weekend.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:19 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwalin McFundin View Post
Alright, I slept on it. While I am a little on the fence about potentially letting a ninth player join there is no harm in talking about race and/or character ideas to see where it takes us. In the end it would need to be something that excites me, or something that I think is lacking from the game - but we can see.

I will close this thread for the time being, so we will continue the conversation by PM. (The same goes for Ravenspath, if they are still interested)

As for playing something with bear inspiration - I guess it is an option, but it would have to go a bit beyond that. Either they would need some specific physical characteristics to differentiate them from a mere bearman or quasi wookie, or very specific mental characteristic, or a creative cultural makeup - anything to make them stand out. Something very closely modeled after a real world animal we have plenty of I am afraid. I don't have the answer of what would be more exciting though - possibly a cross between two animals, or imagining what an animal would look like if it lived in a completely different biome, or maybe modeling something around a disadvantage instead of the usual advantages (Xenophiliacs? A race that has only a single hand?).

So if you still have a few ideas (as I said somewhere above, a dozen short ideas would be better than one really long idea), you can Pm me.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:04 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Hear ye hear ye - We've been going for little over a year now. Characters came, Characters went, and now it might be time to get one more in. Maybe more if the stars align, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

In any case - during play it has become apparent that the group is lacking in certain areas, so I reopened this thread to see if I could lure more Gurps enthusiasts out of their hidey holes. To be honest tolerating Gurps is enough, no experience required.

Active Party composition currently is: Bear Centaur Fire-Magic-using Warrior, Bread-Golem Scout, Lizardman Fencer, Ferretwoman Thief, Turtleman Druid/Spirit-talker

A few former PCs are tagging along, some might be reactivated eventually, who knows.

What we could do with is a character with a combination of some the following:
  • Socially apt/talky
  • Institutional clout (Nobility or otherwise)
  • Urban
  • Magic User (of any college not fire, plant or animals)

Of course the character can still be good at other stuff. This is just a general guide - as is always the case with gurps there are no classes or archetypes to follow. The fluff is all up to you. The above could be many things, from court jester or city crime lord to hedge mage turned touring musician - whatever.

There are a lot of available races to pick from, all of them homebrewed by me or Players:
  • Humans (an often poorly treated minority in the location the game is currently taking place)
  • Ux (Mollusc People)
  • Getta (Four Armed Porcupine People)
  • Keita (Horned Cyclopses)
  • Tsing Goun (Vulturepeople)
  • Your race here!

Different Races have different magical traditions, which makes a mechanical difference. Descriptions of the races can be found here. There are some more that I did not mention, but these are the ones a bit on the backburner. Feel free to have a look though.

Creating your own race is still possible of course. Might be a more distant race or might even replace one (of the not mentioned races).

GURPS EXPERIENCE NOT REQUIRED. Can't state that one enough.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:11 PM
An apple a day...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 943
Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood
Ooh. Love me some GURPS. Placeholder while I dream up a character to fit your world.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:21 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Feelgood View Post
Ooh. Love me some GURPS. Placeholder while I dream up a character to fit your world.
Glad to heart it. What I would recommend is to pitch me something short that we can build up together. Since the system is not amongst the very popular ones on site there is rarely a big fight over spots. I'll watch what happens the next day or so, but generally I pick up players one by one, so I can devote the time to help weave the character into the world with the player. EDIT: This is mostly to help prevent a case of somebody writing a novel and me having to go "well this this and this does not exist in the setting, or in a completely changed form - you have to delete chapters 3 to 85 and start over."

The important things that I need to know sooner rather than later is whether you are interested in one of the existing races, or want to make your own, and what the one sentence idea for a "class" or character essence is.

Last edited by Phettberg; 03-28-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:51 PM
An apple a day...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 943
Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood
So looking at some of the races you already have outlined, I really liked the idea of the Argali.

What I'm curious about is your concept of how the Herd treats Initiates. Also, what an Initiate's individual study can look like.

I'm thinking of a concept that is a little more goat-y and a little less civilized, given to keep his block and tackle (if you hadn't already got the picture). Talky-face/mage Initiate with focus on water/communication and empathy/illusion and creation colleges. Maybe a little bit of thief in there?

Casanova meets The Libertine; travelling horndog in pursuit of his magical studies and utilizing his "wand" as much as he can. Probably not quite as comic-relief as this is sounding in my head. The level of lecherousness I foresee depends on the level of camp desired. From a brief read of the game it looks like moderation is called for.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:57 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Sure, i guess the argali are available. They were written up by a player that dropped out early, and I've kind of been looking to exchange them for something slightly more exciting ever since. So you can use them as is or modify them as desired. The herd animal motif i like, but since the first round of recruiting i have been disencouraging unmodified animal men - because most animals have already gotten that treatment in other rpg systems.

So anyway, you could change them physically and culturally if you so desired - but judging from what they are right now i would say that the cult of the herder is at odds with the initiates in most senses of the word. They are often males with power that can provide services to the public usually only a priest could offer after all.

The character type sounds very good so far. Being a bit sneaky rarely hurt, though with a scout and a full-time thief already available i would make it a lesser priority. And i have no problem with humour in the game.

Anyway - I'm on my phone because my internet at home has gone funny. My thoughts are a probably less than eloquently put because of it. Maybe you can have another think about whether you'd want to edit the race or not - and once i can get my internet to work I'll open up a private thread for us in the game folder.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:02 AM
The Golden Apple

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 886
Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack
I'm definitely interested in this! I may even have a sort of race in mind for my character. But one question I did want to ask is when you say give you an idea of our character, does that mean we just spill out what we want them to be in place of an application?
Old 03-30-2019, 06:12 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torack View Post
does that mean we just spill out what we want them to be in place of an application?
Kind of. It's been my experience that this is preferable to having a full application that will require a lot of feedback and rewriting in terms of how it ties into the world.

This goes doubly for the race - maybe I have some fundamental issue with an idea and then your thousand year history of the people of x goes to waste. A short pitch is better to start with. Maybe you have more than one idea, then you can pitch all of them at the same time without cluttering the thread.

Anyway, thanks for the interest, looking forward to hearing the specifics.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:02 AM
The Golden Apple

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 886
Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack
The race I had in mind is a people called the Sunarii who live on the western continent in their own underground kingdom while also having several trade settlements on the surface. They culture is based upon a very strict honour system while also being very feudalistic with some elements of democracy slowly making its way into recent court politics. The Sunarii range from six and a half to eight feet tall, usually lithe or muscular, and have skin that range from pure black to dark shades of grey. They have monochrome eyes that change colour depending on their emotions which is an extremely important part of non-verbal communication in Sunarii society.

They are incredibly long lived and have both a written and verbal history that they intergrate heavily into their honour system.

For my character, I was thinking of playing a Sunarii battle-mage type of character. Basic concept for him would be that he's very collected with a strict set of codes that he follows from his culture's honour system, and travels around as a sort of sword-for-hire in order to build prestige among his people.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:52 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Very interesting - I do like the idea with the eyes very much. As a subterranean race we will have to make sure that they are not too similar to the Keita - but so far they are tall where they are short, black where they are pale and have two eyes to boot.

I opened a private thread for you in the game folder. We can talk things over there and see where it leads us.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:51 PM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1886
MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds
Okay, let me take a shot. I've been sitting on this picture for awhile looking for a way to work it into a game.

Application
right-aligned image
Race: The Mysticeti are an ancient race of humanoid whales who call the deepest parts of the ocean their kingdom. Their sizes vary widely depending on which family of whales they descend from, but can range anywhere from 5 feet (dolphin & beluga) to over 10 feet (Grey Whale). They would be considered bulky in stature when compared to humans or other, "normal" humanoids due to their layer of blubber, but this also protects them from the cold depths of the abysses where they live. Mysticeti are by and large quite docile and slow to anger. They have come to believe they have reached a natural harmony with the flora and fauna, which also instills them with a natural sense of superiority.
Nation: The Oligarchy of Cetasia spans the entirety of the oceans as they exist in the deepest parts of the world. After the Cataclysm three cracks widened large enough to be of concern to the ruling council, made up of one bloodline from each sub-race of Mysticeti. Every species makes up their own self-contained nation-state with their own laws, economies, and belief systems, and the Council oversees any disputes between them.
Character: Brucían Pough is the seventh son of High Queen Atrallia of the Greys. When the rifts opened to the surface world and the Moon bled, the tides spoke to the Mysticeti and beckoned them to emerge and announce their presence to the land-walkers. One dignitary from each race was chosen, and Prince Brucían was honored to be titled Emmisary Grey. Charming, handsome, and of the required noble blood, Pough was supremely confident he was up to the task. He was curious as to what strange things he would find on the surface, and excited to finally lay his own eyes on the Moon Mother. He hoped he could heal her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	58
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	79639  
Old 04-01-2019, 08:00 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Interesting race, thanks for applying. We only have one aquatic people so far, and they are not of the very deep places at all.

One thing that I would say is this: As far as I am aware whales dive pretty deep, but not actually mariana trench deep. So for them to be an undetectable kingdom maybe they'd have to be able to go deeper, and therefore to display more features of those deep sea creatures that are lurking beneath 10000 feet. Still 26k feet to go to the bottom really. The picture itself shows them with a lot of whales, but also other fish - so another aquatic sentient creature could find them there easily enough. Also generally I have always the desire to make something that is one step beyond taking an earth animal and asking myself what if it had hands and feet and could talk - deep sea whale creature might have more hypotheticals to give it that extra oomph. Just food for thought though.

I do enjoy that this would specifically be a noble born character, which would add a nice dimension to the game. I will think about how to handle this many applicants (for a Gurps game). I might have you as your own group for at least a smaller adventure before merging all the players into one.

I'll only be ready to get you a private thread to talk things out tomorrowish - but you can use this thread in the meantime.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:13 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4510
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Good luck everyone, Phettberg a great DM

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterPosting Status: Normal