RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 09-12-2018, 04:53 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4094
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickostopheles View Post
Okay I'm applying. Edited old post so you may miss this question:
Glad to see you apply after all!

Regarding the question, you nearly answered that yourself with the wip already up. The two larger scale wars happened 15 and 16 years ago respectively, against the dragons and the lich. Being a retired fighter from one of them sounds like quite a fitting background for an older character than the average adventurer.

Never the less, there was indeed one other major military conflict some 7 years prior to our adventure, nowhere near the scale of the previous ones, but still quite important. It was the first and only time in which Fort Daxio was ever attacked and seized by an enemy force, when a long forgotten vampire Lord returned to enact his revenge upon the realm, turning the fort into a hellish semblance of the shadowfell for nearly two years before Vox Machina managed to retake it as their last public act as a group of adventurers, this time directing Tal'Dorei's armies instead of fighting head-on.

I have no set rule regarding how many years it usually takes characters to level up, but if you want something more recent than any of these big wars, he could always have worked for the country by fighting the Clasp and the recently discovered Myriad, maybe support the Ashari druids in defending the elemental portals or even join either the Slayer's Take or the Claret Orders of blood hunters as a much needed holy man to face the onslaught of aberrations.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2414
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Lady Sorrel
right-aligned image
Name: Lady Sorrel, the Seamstress
Race: Tiefling
Class: Bard (College of Whispers)
Background: Guild Artisan (Weavers & Fashion)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Deity: The Archeart
Ideal: Beauty
Theme: A Bird
Backstory:

Personality:

RP sample:

Last edited by Vislands; 09-21-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:49 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 263
Invictus Invictus Invictus
I'm sorry , but Lady Sorrel's pose reminds me of Natasha Fatale...

Now all you need is one of us to play Boris.

Last edited by Invictus; 09-13-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:02 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2414
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Haha I'll take me a Boris for sure if there are any takers
Old 09-13-2018, 08:04 AM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6224
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
I'm sorry, GM but I'm kinda on the fence about my Monk, Kriv so I am going to Withdraw, hopefully temporarily until I come up with a character that I feel more confident about.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:44 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7895
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
How are orcs and more specifically half-orcs viewed in this setting?
Old 09-13-2018, 02:15 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Sorry I didn't post the reviews yesterday everybody, family came to visit out of the blue and didn't get much of a chance, but I should be able to get them done now.

Sad to hear Arthilian, but hopefuly you'll come up with someone even better, can't wait to read your next application!

Regarding orc and half-orc culture, it is still greatly stigmatized despite the council's efforts to integrate them into society. It would be easy to make a parallel to african americans from last century or latin americans from this one, seeing as legally they have the same rights and protections as everyone else, but social segregation is pretty much still a thing. (Kinda goes hand in hand with the noir flavour, conveniently enough)

In the last few decades the orcs, sometimes entire tribes, have started migrating into Emon and trying to assimilate, but most people see them with unease, and they are mostly relegated to the southern slums wherein they live in large communities. Most half-orcs in the city on the other hand did not migrate but instead where born within these slums, and have started to carve a new social identity and an economic niche for themselves.

So you've got a first generation of youth, born of immigrant parents, filing their tusks and working as construction peons, farmers, cooks, guards and artists; the most talented ones even applying for higher education, magic training and positions within the city's organizations, trying to rid themselves of the stigma of the battle-scarred half-orcs that still exist in the rest of the republic.

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 09-13-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:35 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 243
psychoticunicorn psychoticunicorn psychoticunicorn
I am thinking about running a blood hunter/ rouge. I was hoping you could direct me to more info about the order of bloodhunters? I haven't quite caught up with either season of Critical Role so any more info on that would be wonderful!

Last edited by psychoticunicorn; 09-13-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:33 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6224
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Jim Faindel: Are you planning on only picking 1 of each class for the group or would more than one rogue/etc make the group if you had more than one that made the grade?
Old 09-13-2018, 07:09 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
The bloodhunters didn't really show up all that much in the first campaign, kinda like the cobalt soul monks who didn't get a turn to shine until the second, but they've got a very detailed faction description within the campaign setting, which I'll be adding to the original post of this thread later tonight.

Picking 1 of each class would be problematic given the specificity of the setting and the large party I am looking to assemble, specially seeing as the task force may need to split constantly, I'd imagine no team would like to go investigate without a rogue among them, so just aim to make a solid character first. Would only be a problem if two people came up with both mechanical and thematically identical characters, then I would have to let one go.

(Though as a player in this site, I've often seen and myself used the strategy of waiting till there is a long roster of applicants, checking their reviews, and coming up with a character that fills up a hole in the formation of those I assumed were the best ones and would be picked. Kinda playing the system, but nothing I'd be mad about, honestly)

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 09-13-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:35 PM
---ALL HEART---

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2292
Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer
The App format everyone likes so much in this site
  • Name: Tomas Geldtree, Nickname: Salt
  • Race: Human
  • Class: Cleric of The Knowing Mistress
  • Alignment: CN - Chaotic Noir
  • Backstory:

• Personality: Salt truly wants the best for people, and is willing to do whatever he can to help out. Over the years though, he has seen the darker side of people's nature take advantage of every opportunity that they could. As a result, Salt often has an initial approach of wariness to anyone or anything he encounters. Should that wariness prove to be unwarranted, Salt will even regress to the idealism of his youth to help build the best world that he can. Should that wariness prove warranted, Salt is willing to do unto others as they had planned to do unto him. He will just make sure to get the job done first.
  • Looks:

• RP sample: Think I am the quiet bartender listening to your tale many years after the fact. Why did Seeker Assum trust you to join this mission, and why did you accept? Hope you can answer this in character!

More Stuff In A Little Box

Last edited by Classic Gamer; 09-21-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:38 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
Here is the first set of reviews for the current applications. There are a few more in this thread and others I've been sent, but I won't review them fully till they are a tad more complete and publicly displayed, though so far they seem quite interesting and clever. The intention behind making public reviews is for everyone to see how I react and what I enjoy from the existing applications, to inform their character creation and the way they are presented, as well as to set the bar after which the final choices will be made.

Application Review Round 1Player: Invictus
Character: Mycroft Holmes

Observations:

Player: Kymrel
Character: Kytaran Finuthin

Observations:

Player: ihinka
Character: Silvana Tinkerton
Observations:

Player: nickostopheles
Character: Zhon Quadsun
Observations:

Player: Xalnaga
Character: Elrohir Gildor, owner of “Guild Doors Inc. – Detective Agency”
Observations:

Player: delpinator
Character: Guheni Cobelhob
Observations:

Player: Tyeal
Character: Valdur Ironpoint
Observations:

General observations:
• If your character is chosen, expect many elements of what you’ve mentioned in your application to be integrated in some form into the game
• Please specify if you haven’t already which deities do your characters worship, if any
• I am willing to allow forgoing the extra equipment provided from class and background in order to gather some extra gold to purchase stuff you actually want, but please keep track of your inventory’s cost once we get into the game
• I appreciate those that added their traits, ideals, bonds and flaws on the app, it rounds up my impression of the characters, but to those without them: don’t worry, they aren’t a requirement
• Not surprised but slightly disappointed at the general lack of oddball, sub-optimal entries. Where are my illiterate barbarians blundering into the scene and fraudulent diviners with personal vendettas? My repentant clasp members and witness ladies of the night? Remember the main requisite for the character to fit in, is convincing me via RP that Seeker Assum would trust them working with the team, not optimal playstyles
• Some players have already suggested the idea of teaming up and entwining backstories from the start, which I am fully behind. Contact each other if any character got your eye, and work something out, we’ve still got quite a bit of time before applications are closed.

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 09-13-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:51 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7895
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Quote:
Not surprised but slightly disappointed at the general lack of oddball, sub-optimal entries. Where are my illiterate barbarians blundering into the scene and fraudulent diviners with personal vendettas? My repentant clasp members and witness ladies of the night? Remember the main requisite for the character to fit in, is convincing me via RP that Seeker Assum would trust them working with the team, not optimal playstyles
Well, I was going to go for a half-orc bruiser who's way in over his head in investigations and more just bashes skulls for answers but now that you've ruined the novelty...I kid, I kid.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:54 PM
Watching siliently

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2520
Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga
Thanks for the reviews Jim.

Application expansion underway
Old 09-13-2018, 08:55 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomplum View Post
Well, I was going to go for a half-orc bruiser who's way in over his head in investigations and more just bashes skulls for answers but now that you've ruined the novelty...I kid, I kid.
Now you've gone and made me want to see that character concept even more! Frankly, if you don't make it, I might as well turn it into an npc

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 09-13-2018 at 09:11 PM.