RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 09-14-2018, 04:24 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2482
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Faindel View Post
Also, I do believe when elves get to level 10 they get to choose an expertise between their racism and smuggness skills kymrel, or at least they did in previous editions.
Damn. I may need to reconsider my application. I thought they could pick between an air of quiet self-assurance and an insufferable superiority complex.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:30 AM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4094
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Depends on what and where you buy it. I do have a neat table of magic items by rarity, by seller and by date at the ready for such a situation, and now know your character's charisma score, so send me a pm with what you are looking for and I can make you an offer.

Anyone looking for something extra, please let me know through pm as well. For future reference, common magic items go from 50 to 100g and don't stray much from there as the market is relatively flooded with them and merchants get very competitive. On the other hand uncommon items may range from 101 all the way to 500g, or even twice as much depending of scarcity and how good/fast the purveyors are. Rare items will almost never go down from the thousands, but their maximum prices is entirely in the hands of the enchanters behind them, as they almost always need to be commissioned with quite the headstart.

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 09-14-2018 at 04:31 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:52 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1720
ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka
*wants to see the poop jar so bad now*

@Jim Faindel, edits are done. Spoiled the image, added the info on the guns and restructured the RP Sample. I also added some bits and bobs.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:31 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 178
Vokub Vokub
Posting interest and reserving placeholder for application.
I can post at least once per day during weekdays and perhaps once per weekend (busy family life). If that's too little, please let me know.

Application Name: Rose Annabelle Brimsey Vik Garbertlock-Smithe
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Warlock
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Backstory:
- Born magically sterile, despite parents being accomplished casters (Wizard Father, Sorceress Mother).
- Has always been thin, sickly and feeble, unlike her two bigger brothers.
- Couldn't learn a basic cantrip regardless of effort and guidance.
- Frustration grew, she was mocked by friends and picked on by bullies.
- Eventually got fed up and ran away at the age of 15.
- Her mother was able to locate Rose through her Divination spells but not before Rose stumbled into a cave that held an aberration artifact.
- Rose unintentionally made contact with a Fiend which granted warlock powers.
- She fell into a trance, and when both parents came to find her, Rose used her new powers to kill them as per the deal with the Fiend.
- When she came to, she was almost maddened by guilt, scarring her emotionally and making Rose unpredictable.
- As a former bully victim with newfound powers, she imparts her own brand of justice with impunity.
- As of recent, her actions shifted toward more community-conscious activities, seeking to atone for a past that lead to the demise of her family.
- She never tried contacting her siblings, partly out of guilt and partly dreading the confrontation.
Personality: Rose suffers from what would best be described as mood swings - now gentle and compassionate, seeking diplomatic resolution in a conflict, the next minute blasting someone's hand off just because they happened to verbally insult one of her friends - of which he has very few. In her view, all things are black or white, there is never any middle-ground for anything she does. She either likes a person and does her best to please or comfort them, or hates them on the spot and will never, ever gain her trust. Naturally inquisitive, she got into her fair share of trouble for getting mixed up in schemes that she was not exactly meant to meddled with. Whoever knew her for a longer period of time would describe Rose as dependable, reliable in a tight spot and... a great wingman?
Looks: Frail, petite and thin, Rose however walks with her head held high. Her vestments bear no indication of wealth of status. A simple black robe and a gnarly staff are more than enough for the lifestyle she has chosen for herlself.
RP sample:
She was transfixed. It just could not be. There, just a few paces to her left, nursing a pint of ale, stood the great Tiberius Stormwind she had heard so much about. True, not as famous as the other Vox Machina members, but her childhood hero nevertheless. Her parents used to tell her stories of his exploits when she was a wee lass, and how one does not need to be a bear-sized Goliath or an attuned Druid to be a hero of the people. It was meant to be another prod to awaken the magic in her - she realized now, her mood souring.
Mustering all the courage she could, Rose stood up, walked to the bar and sat on the empty stool next to Tiberius.
- How do you do it? She asked, as a means of introduction. How do you decide to sacrifice yourself for the greater good?
Tiberius slowly turned towards her and all he did was smile. A tired smile, that made the dragonborn almost look old.
- I don't, dear. Came a cavernous reply. I no longer need to.
The shape of Tiberius suddenly started to shimmer and slowly fade, turning into snowflakes that blew away, sending Rose stumbling backwards.
She woke with a scream, sweaty and shivering. It's been a another recurring dream about fallen heroes and forgotten legends. It was a sign, an omen, it had to be. She embarked on a path of selflessly helping fellow man and she knew, deep down, it will eventually lead to her downfall. Strangely, she welcomed this realization. It will be her penance. A lifetime of good, however short, in exchange for a moment of delirium, it was worth it.

Last edited by Vokub; 09-17-2018 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Various grammar fixes
Old 09-14-2018, 09:52 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2308
nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles
@Jim_Faindel: It is very nice of you to give a review at all. I’m sure it is time consuming. I also like that it is in public. Every DM has different things they like and dislike. Thanks for the kind words.. I got excited. Fair warning, I tend to be longwinded on apps as it helps me understand the PC, but my posts are more concise or perhaps terse, generally. I will try to represent the more accurate way I post in the RP sample.

FYI, I only plan on playing if I actually get a partner. I wouldn’t want to play a solo Watson, even though he is more well rounded than some of the movie versions of Watson. Sherlock can easily stand on his/her own so they don't have to reciprocate, it's just what I want to do.

In the spirit of public-ness…

@invictus (Mycroft Holmes) – You are clearly the most natural match for my Dr. Watson. I have other backup choices if you decline, but shall I be your Watson?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:28 AM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokub View Post
Posting interest and reserving placeholder for application.
I can post at least once per day during weekdays and perhaps once per weekend (busy family life). If that's too little, please let me know.

The posting rate would be fine, but changelings are a no-go, as they are not a core class (found within the player's handbook), not within the Tal'Dorei campaign setting (which has goliaths, genasi and ravenites instead), and part of the ultra-specific and ultra-powerful Eberron setting, which I in particular do not like (sorry warforged). Not to mention a changeling would indeed be too easy an option to take, and to top it all, no matter how inclusive the Council wishes to be, that's still a monster-race that no-one would willingly allow into the capital.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:05 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 263
Invictus Invictus Invictus
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickostopheles View Post

@invictus (Mycroft Holmes) – You are clearly the most natural match for my Dr. Watson. I have other backup choices if you decline, but shall I be your Watson?
Holmes without Watson just can't do... so yes
Old 09-14-2018, 01:57 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3579
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
Hello, this looks interesting.

Couple questions about the setting. I've seen a few critical roll vids but it was a long time ago and I only vaguely remember anything.
  1. So, are we all full time detectives? Does that mean we're all already officers in the city guard? Or are we a diverse task force assembled from a wide selection of skilled and capable people
  2. The council of Tal'Dorei - is it possible to be a member of this faction without being one of the actual council members? IE, a secretary, guard, or other underling?
  3. The Arcana Pansophical - So, if I were a mage, I could be a member of this group? Do low level guildies live at the university or such?
  4. The Claret Orders. Is there any point to being in this faction if I'm not a blood cleric or Blood Hunter? Are there any blood hunters or blood Clerics that aren't in this faction?
  5. You mentioned that high ranking clasp leaders are summarily executed upon discovery. Does this also apply to the lower ranks?

Old 09-14-2018, 02:41 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
That's a lot of very interesting and important questions that I will try to address now.
By the way, you don't have to be a die-hard critical role fan to play this setting, we just need your characters to be aware that they indeed became level 20 world-class heroes and their influence is still felt through the land.

1. The initial conceit of this game is that the city's master of information gathers a discrete task force of investigators from all backgrounds to work outside of the city guard's main structure. The story starts with the investigation of a bombing attack against a magic school with suspicious political undertones given the tense situation between the factions and populace of the city. You could be part of the city guard, and more than likely will be working with them, but it's not a necessity, since you could even be the local head of the neighborhood association who keeps a net of open eyes watching their streets at night, or a bounty hunter who's target turned out to be one of the guards that would have stopped the bomber, and now wants to know the truth behind it all. The only conditions for character creation are being a reasonably (if questionably) competent investigator, and being able to earn the trust of Seeker Assum.

2.- Absolutely. They exist as the head of the government, but that means there is a whole body under them dedicated to keep the republic up and running.

3.- The Pansophical and the school are related, but not the same. This faction is an association of the most powerful magic users in the world, come together to monitor the development of magic across the land, stop evil mages from rising up, and basically stop arcane practices from corruption, immorality, and general defiance to the gods and the order of society. So if you are a regular magic user you would know of their existence, they would most probably be fully aware of most aspects of yours for as long as you live, and at the level our characters will be starting, they would start keeping a closer eye on you and considering allowing you to join them.

As the other part of that question, literal schools of magic are set up by the Council in benefit of the people, and endorsed by the Pansophical, but there are plenty of mages that never bothered learning magic in one of them haughty marble towers, not that they are any less under the eye of this faction for it.

3.- There would be a point, as many skills are needed. Becoming a blood hunter or blood cleric is incredibly hard, not many even survive the process of becoming one once they decide to go down that path, so it would be difficult for such a powerful and important faction to reduce itself to only the numbers of those who walk that way. There is a whole structure of mages, clerics, paladins, rangers and rogues that work within the order, though their job description will be less glamorous than that of a monster slayer, they still work towards the same goals in more subtle ways.

As for the other part... if there are, they would be prime targets for extermination, as these powers are dangerous and need discipline and supervision they won't trust anyone else to provide. Think of them as really hardcore paladins with less religious elements in their day to day.
5.- Not really. The lower thugs and informants of this factions would hardly present any a threat to the organization as a whole if they were discovered, compared to the spirelings, which pretty much run the entire operation within each major city and business. They are willing and capable to bail out a captured member from jail and even pay to clean their name most of the time, that’s one of the reasons why their subordinates are so loyal. It would take betraying this loyalty for the Clasp to rid itself of one of its lower ranked associates.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2537
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Lady Sorrel is ready for review!
Old 09-15-2018, 12:02 AM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
Hello everyone!
Just as a heads up: posting during this particular weekend may be scarce or even completely absent, since we'll be celebrating our independence and celebrating it thoroughly

So yeah, I cannot garantee I'll be answering much till monday, but I'll try my best
Expect the second round of reviews later that day, for those with new or edited applications
See you all later, and que viva México

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 09-15-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2180
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomplum View Post
Well, I was going to go for a half-orc bruiser who's way in over his head in investigations and more just bashes skulls for answers but now that you've ruined the novelty...I kid, I kid.
I had an idea for a character that I really liked of a Goliath who really wants to be a bard. She carries her instrument (a pianoforte) on her back wherever she goes. She’s a reasonable singer/musician, but she has absolutely no facility with bardic magic, so she just makes ends meet by bashing heads (mechanically she’s a fighter). I considered changing my app because I think she’d be a blast to play, but couldn’t think why she might get this gig.

Last edited by Lazer; 09-15-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2180
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
My application for my CSI gnome, Comisty, is, I hope, complete.

And happy independence day to you, Jim Faindel!

Last edited by Lazer; 09-15-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:38 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 178
Vokub Vokub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Faindel View Post
The posting rate would be fine, but changelings are a no-go, as they are not a core class (found within the player's handbook), not within the Tal'Dorei campaign setting (which has goliaths, genasi and ravenites instead), and part of the ultra-specific and ultra-powerful Eberron setting, which I in particular do not like (sorry warforged). Not to mention a changeling would indeed be too easy an option to take, and to top it all, no matter how inclusive the Council wishes to be, that's still a monster-race that no-one would willingly allow into the capital.
Roger-roger! I will use a core race for this adventure. Application updated in the original post (hopefully complete)

Last edited by Vokub; 09-17-2018 at 05:00 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3579
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
left-aligned image

Name: Ash (fullname is Ashele pronounced "Or-uh-May"Orome)
Race: High Elf
Class: Fighter 2, Rogue 3 (Assassin)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Backstory: Ash is famous for the sensational stories about the arrest of Renegald Drake, a well known duelist. As a beat cop she engaged him in the sewers between the lower slums and the Erudite district, defeating him in solo combat. At the time of his arrest, he was discovered to have a bag of holding containing the body of his latest victim, a prostitute from the lower slums. When a search of his estate turned up more grisly discoveries, the police were able to connect him to a number of disappearances that had been thought to be the result of human trafficking on the part of the Clasp.

Once an Urchin backgroundurchin, Ash started as an office cleaner, but managed to get full time employment as a beat cop, and later as an investigator. She apparently has a sister, but little is known about the rest of her family, or history. Living and working in the lower slums, she is considered an expert on the powers and factions in the area.

Personality: Elves are renowned for being proud, but most of them haven't ever had to fight a dog for a scrap of meat, or spent a night in an alley during a rainstorm. Ash is hard working, unassuming, and practical. She typically brings a sack lunch to work, and if she does end up eating out for some reason, she orders water.

Looks: Subject to change, especially as I hammer out what equipment she will have. Still, I intend for the character to be an Archer, and her personality does not lend her to excess. I like the picture both for Ash actually does wear armor, but it's glamored to look like clothingthe clothes and because Ash is left handed, like the maiden depicted.

Last edited by anamiac; 09-21-2018 at 04:27 PM.