RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 09-17-2018, 06:49 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3793
sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart
Fascinating game concept. Might not be able to post at that amount, so might just watch. Let me think on it.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:32 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4094
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
We've got some great entries already, and new ones coming every day; an unexpected, yet welcome multitude. At this rate, I am starting to think 6-10 investigators may be too few, and yet, more than that would likely be impossible for me to follow

With that in mind, I've decided to move forth the deadline one week. From now onwards, Sunday, September the 23rd will be the last day to post applications for this campaign.

At some point tomorrow I'll be posting the second round of reviews, addressing changes based on the first one and going over all the new entries. Remember, I am looking for interesting character concepts, solid writing, reliable players that can post regularly and stick to the setting, and above else people that both I and Seeker Assum can trust with this case. Everything else you put into your app is going above and beyond, and will surely be taken into consideration, but first make sure to cover these points

In any case, I am around as always if you want to discuss an idea or if you need anything answered
Old 09-17-2018, 09:30 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 243
psychoticunicorn psychoticunicorn psychoticunicorn
Name: Vondal Garrak

Race: Dwarf

Class: Paladin/Bloodhunter

Alignment: LN

Looks:Vondal scared face is framed by his thick brown beard that is worn in four tight braids that end just above his chest. His hair is also kept in a braid that runs down his back. His eyes are dark and piercing and slightly sunken. He wears black metal armor, that while nothing special it is kept in immaculate condition. The same goes for the two handed dark metal war hammer that he carries strapped across his back. (I have a picture the only issue is its so big it doesn't look good in the post. Any help fixing that would be great!)

PersonalityVondal is all business while he is on the hunt. Only pausing when necessary he hunts his prey single minded, as it his job to prevent any more suffering of innocents at the hands of his prey. Respectful of those in charge, he work well with others however the moment one of those people he works with steps in between him and his prey he won't hesitate to move them out of his way, what ever means necessary.

Last edited by psychoticunicorn; 09-22-2018 at 09:02 PM. Reason: New Character
Old 09-18-2018, 12:11 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3542
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
Question. What does the law enforcement presence in a single district (in this case, the lower slums) look like? Are there a hundred cops, or a dozen? Are investigators like Ash going to be investigating things throughout the city, or are they assigned a district? How many investigators/detectives are there in the city, and in a district?
Old 09-18-2018, 12:37 AM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
In the last few years, Guardian Tofor Brotoras has doubled down on the importance of a competent law enforcement structure across the republic, and particularly within the capital. So a decade or so ago guards became police officers, and their training, duties and capabilities changed dramatically, while those unable to adapt to the harsher regulations either deserted or moved into the military.

The city's size would require large forces of coordinated patrols. Nearly 500 men and women are barely enough to keep the peace among the upper slums. The next most watched areas, with some 350 operatives each, would be the central district and the promenade, followed by the ports with 150. The lower slums rarely even reach a hundred cops strong on patrol, not because the area is safe, but rather because most of the personal is human, and has little interest if not a visceral negative reaction towards entering a space inhabited by what many still call monsters. This area in particular, despite how little man-power it receives, still fills over half of Emon's jails with its convicted criminals. The rest of the areas have police presence in the dozens, but mainly rely on their own forces to keep order, something which the Erudite quarter has just paid dearly for.

Investigators are free to move across the city, following whatever particular case requires more detailed work, but mostly remain within one or two districts from their base of operations, as it is the area they know the most and are more effective in. Only those with truly long careers or particularly keen minds can say to know the entirety of such a large metropolis without being insincere.

Under the joint direction of Guardian Tofor Brotoras and Arbiter Brom Goldhand, there are currently 36 full time investigators working for the council, while the city hosts a couple private detective forces, counting with a dozen other detectives who often cooperate with the officials when the city calls upon them. While others may claim such title, no one besides these 48 are recognized within Emon.

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 09-18-2018 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:09 AM
Chocolate Chips

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2834
In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix
Posting interest.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:28 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
Here is the second round of reviews, for both those that just applied and those that made significant changes to their previous posts. Once again, the point of these reviews is to provide insight into what I am looking for in these characters and how you can edit your app to have a better chance of joining. Remember, the deadline for selection has been moved back a week, so time is of the essence here.

Second round of reviewsLazer

nickostopheles

Arthilian01

Xalnaga

delpinator, Classic Gamer and anamiac

Vislands

imViral

Vokub

psychoticunicorn

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 09-18-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:11 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 243
psychoticunicorn psychoticunicorn psychoticunicorn
I am going to go ahead and rework this guy from the ground up. I don't think that character concept quite fits in with what I want him to be and something that fits into the game.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:07 PM
Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4782
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Response to Application Observations

Last edited by Tyeal; 09-18-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2180
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeal View Post
Group is trying to piece together clues: 'I'm reminded of this riddle an old Gnome spellcaster told me regarding three Humans, two knives and a vial of sealed poison...'
...and that gnome’s name? Comisty Ruskidge Vulce Dumpinger

:-)

@Jim Faindel;

Thanks for the review, it’s most appreciated. I’ll try to format my posts better, I mostly post from my phone so it always looks tall and thin to me, I’ll need to take a look on my computer tomorrow to figure out how best to fix it.

Last edited by Lazer; 09-18-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:52 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
I've an idea myself of who that wise old gnome might be, but in any case I'd like to see how everyone finishes their apps as we head for the final choice of who'll be joining the task force. It's certainly going to be harder for me to decide than just taking the higher scores.

Tyeal, if there was someone in this site I'd know I could trust to make a backstory shine in the long run it would be you, just be aware that the less you reveal at this stage, the harder it is to choose you over a newcomer with a more engaging application. If you are willing to compromise, something a few people so far have done is posting their app, and then adding extra backstory for the DM's eyes only. A couple have written over thrice as much privately from what they're publicly displaying! (something to keep in mind for everyone, while you are evaluating the competition)

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 09-19-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:04 AM
Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4782
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Faindel View Post
Tyeal, if there was someone in this site I'd know I could trust to make a backstory shine in the long run it would be you.
...Thanks Jim, that's very kind of you. I went and added more to his backstory for you to look over.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:03 AM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeal View Post
...Thanks Jim, that's very kind of you. I went and added more to his backstory for you to look over.
Wow, just, wow.
You certainly did not dissapoint
That backstory is gonna be a treat to uncover with the party if you get in, I'll say that much
Old 09-19-2018, 04:46 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 178
Vokub Vokub
Hi Jim Faindel, you are correct, my character is indeed too edgy for the setting. Note to self: don't create characters while running a fever.
If I have enough time until closure I will submit another concept. Cheers!
Old 09-19-2018, 09:20 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2308
nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles
@Jim_Faindel: Thanks! I’m glad you like him. I came in thinking the safe way. The safest move is ranger, rogue, magic user section so that you are a self-sustaining detective type.

Then I saw Mycroft and the creative gears turned. I realized that most people were going to play it safe and make someone like that. I mean, it is tempting, there are tons of good ideas that are self-sustaining.

So I decided to gamble on a character who isn’t going to be a good detective but can aid through combat and healing. I’ll be the guy keeping the smart ones alive while they race against time to solve the mystery. I like playing supporting roles rather than starring ones. It can be very interesting.

Also, thanks for imgr, imgl thing. I didn’t know how folks were doing that. I could never remember to ask.

@everyone who doesn’t have an idea yet: I thought of some ideas that are of no use to me, but I would love to see someone play…

Columbo - “Excuse me ma’am, one more thing.”

and

One team based on Sin City comic/movie in particular - Dwight (rogue) and Marv (Barbarian).

Although Gail/Miho is tempting too.