RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 08-23-2019, 02:55 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 629
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Silhouette is ready for consideration.

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...29#post8501229
Old 08-23-2019, 06:00 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4094
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
I am really liking how these apps are coming along!
You guys are pretty much nailing the style I wanted to pursue with your rp samples and background

Let's hope many more join you, and those who are already here find the inspiration to make great characters as well!

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 08-23-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:21 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by SalmonMax; 08-23-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:18 PM
All Bark & Husky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2252
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs

Last edited by DanshiiWithWulfs; 08-23-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:10 PM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3976
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
Old 08-23-2019, 09:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6691
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Rimi Vosk, aka "Mistress Redwine"
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Cleric (Blood domain)
Alignment: Neutral

Role: Clenched Fist / Interrogator

Looks: A slender brunette of above average height, Rimi Vosk is not the first girl that the average inn Lothario would notice. Neither is she the second, nor even the third. In fact, the typical ale-spraying, table-pounding mouth breather soaking up cheap ale before turning in to face another day of plodding behind a mule's arse would be hard pressed even to notice Rimi. Too slim. Too pale. And those eyes. Dark and flashing, sure, but seldom with merriment. Mirth sometimes, but they're not eyes that invite you in to share the joke. Not by a long shot.

Personality: Cool and precise, with difficulty mustering empathy - the Priestess of Blood is remarkably bloodless, the Cleric of the Ravens is as chilly as a late Autumn midnight. This is not to say she is apathetic or indifferent; this is to say that the woman spoken of in whispers as "Mistress Redwine" (when she is spoken of at all) in the Undercity is focused and extraordinarily dispassionate in her professional interactions with others. Her driving interest is to explore and understand completely the exact moment where life becomes death, when the soul departs the body. Her dedication is such that she has taken herself to death's door countless times, shed gallons of her own blood in order to perceive and understand the final, greatest transition.

In the company of those few she considers friends or close associates, Rimi is cordial and complaisant company. She enjoys small gatherings of familiar faces well enough, but her natural awkwardness is exacerbated by a generally solitary lifestyle and, of course, her peculiar professional interests.

Backstory: I set out on my own the night I overheard Madame plotting to auction off my virginity. I'd been born in that pillow house, you see, and since my mother died giving birth to me, that meant I was the property of the house. For twelve years, I'd cooked, cleaned, emptied chamber pots, fetched, carried...you name it. Took plenty of beatings, too. But I wasn't going to be another whore. No way, no how. They locked me in a little room, a closet really, every night, but I'd known how to open the door ever since I was eight or nine. Had a piece of wire that I kept under a loose floorboard, I had it perfectly bent to pop the latch; it only took me a few seconds to do it. I grabbed my spare shirt and the handful of copper I'd been able to steal and scrounge and flew out of there.

There was only one place to go for a kid like me - the streets. There, the only choices were beg, whore, or steal, so I stole. That meant crossing paths with Clasp Member backgroundThe Clasp. I could swear like a sailor and fight like a boy, so I got by for a while. But I knew it couldn't last forever, or even last long. It didn't last two months. A few weeks after I got my brand, my capo woke me up around noon...just a couple hours after I went to bed. "Boss wants you," he announced roughly, shoving me off my pallet with his boot for good measure. I gritted my teeth and forced myself not to reach for the little knife in my belt. I threw some water on my face and followed him through the tunnels, up and down and round and round, until we got, well, somewhere. He knocked on the door, and when it opened, he shoved me inside. "Hey!" I yelped. Then my jaw dropped.

The room was small, dim, and way too hot, but I could see Master Redwine plain as day. He'd been pointed out to me before, an old man in dark clothes and hood. Couldn't see his face or the bloodstains that way, they said. The Spirelings' own questioner. The guy they brought in when they needed answers and the mark had to live through it. He wasn't your ordinary toenail-ripper, it was said that he was a real magic-user - a cleric of the Matron of Ravens. My knees almost collapsed under me, but I knew I didn't know anything that could possibly warrant his tender caresses. Redwine stood next to a screen, and a voice issued out from behind it. "Go with him," the voice said simply. I quailed.

Master Redwine motioned politely for me to precede him out the door. I did, and after a brief, murmured conversation between him and the figure behind the screen that I couldn't hear, he bade me follow him. We walked a short distance to a room. "Wait here," he said, before unlocking the door and opening it just wide enough to slip inside. He shut it behind him and reopened it a few minutes later. His dark clothes were gone, replaced with an outfit that would be unremarkable on any moderately prosperous merchant. "That's better," he said, then turned to his left and walked off.

I hastened to follow, and he led me up, around, and eventually out of the underworld. We emerged into the scullery of a nondescript inn, and I followed him out of the kitchen, through the common room, and out into Emon. I had no idea what was going on, but I was increasingly sure that I wasn't going to end up flayed alive. At least, not today.

We walked a long way. At some point, he bought a few pork buns and an orange from a stall, and we had lunch. After that, more walking until we arrived at a large, imposing stone edifice. Ravens adorned the doors, and my knees shook again. I followed him in. "Welcome, child," he said, his voice courteous. A brusque, efficient man joined us - a moment later, I discovered that he was the Master of Novices. Or really, the Master of Novice, as there was only me. My training for the next phase of my life had begun. When the time was right, I would become the first Mistress Redwine...if I lived long enough to earn the job.

RP Sample: The detective sat across from me at the table, steam rising up from the bowl of tea in front of him, a mug of pear cider in front of me, both untouched. I knew that half of the other people in the common room were my people, Clasp. I figured the other half were his. He had the typical look of the Cobalt Soul - bright eyes, clean cut and scholarly, but without an ounce of fat on his body and an air of deadly competence. A cobra and a mongoose, smiling pleasantly at each other on a warm spring afternoon. We sat, the two of us, on the edge of a knife blade, balanced perfectly between peace and war, life and death. My natural habitat.

I spoke first. I knew that was what he wanted, but I didn't care. This meeting was a long time in coming, and I would have it over as quickly as possible. "You invited me here, detective," I began. "What can I do for you?" My voice was light, calm. I imagine part of him wanted to break me in half with his bare hands. My hands wanted to reach for my drink, but my mind stopped them. Gods forbid anyone see them tremble.

"I've always loved history, Priestess," he offered. He has lovely green eyes, I thought. The monk continued, "...And interesting people. How did it all start for you? Your, what can I call them? Dual obligations?"

Oh, this young man is very good, I thought. So civil, every word chosen to avoid provocation but make it clear that he knew. Who I was. What I was. I couldn't help but like him. I made a deprecating gesture with my right hand, mostly because I needed to see it was steady. "It always helps to have girls in the crew," I replied. "They draw a lot less suspicion, can go so many places that boys can't. Plus, it's generally believed they're weaker and more compliant." Generally believed by stupid people, destined not to live long, my mind added. "But me specifically? All of that, I suppose, and I imagine he wanted to bed me, too. I certainly let him believe I'd be quite grateful to him." I grew up in a whorehouse, after all. I absorbed the art of steering a man by his...physique...along with my first solid food. I let him have what he wanted, too, but not until I'd established myself as a good producer, earned the brand for myself. I was grateful, after all. And he did have beautiful eyes. Beautiful green eyes. "Men can be rather one-dimensional, I find. All heart, some few. All muscle, others. All...needs, still more." I shrugged, and the monk returned the gesture in commiseration.

I reached out, took a sip of my cider. Warmer now than I liked it, but it was sweet, with a pleasant bite and burn from the alcohol. I loved cider - one of my few indulgences. "As to the other? Not my choice, at least not at first. I was told, and I went. I enjoyed it, my training. For a long time, I wondered why they picked me, out of all the others. I hadn't done anything to distinguish myself from the horde, certainly not in that way. But I learned I had a spark, a spark that could be fanned into flame. That's what my predecessor saw. My studies opened up a window on the world that I had no idea existed, and I liked the view very much. I was a natural, and I progressed well. The rest?" I waved my hand dismissively. "A job. A necessary one. You might even do it yourself, you certainly know the ones who do. It gives me no real pleasure...but I am very good at it."

More comfortable now that I was dictating the flow of information, I leaned forward a bit in my chair, as if I was sharing confidences with a friend. "But surely, detective, this can't really be why you're here, can it? The forgotten history of a cast-off child? There must be more." Those eyes, Rimi marveled. A girl could get lost in them. Those lovely eyes hardened for just a moment, turned to agates before the lids crinkled up again in a smile and the Cobalt Soul monk spoke again.

"You misunderstand, Priestess," the monk said respectfully. "Many people see history as an idle avocation, dusty scribes collecting dustier stories of lives once vivid. But few arts are more useful in my line of work than history, because history gives insight, and insight leads to understanding. What I do..." Here, the detective's voice trailed off and he chuckled disarmingly. "...What I do is talk like a schoolmaster, far too often. It is good to understand those I work with, Priestess, and those that I...must locate. But all that is of no moment." The emerald-eyed monk paused, reached for his tea, sipped and made a face. "I wouldn't wash dishes in this. What is it that you have?"

"Cider," I replied. "Made from pears, not apples. I enjoy it in the summer. But you were saying?"

A frown crossed the Cobalt Soul's face for just a moment, marring the placid perfection. "It has been a long day already, Priestess, and Gods know it is likely to be much longer before it ends. So I will cut to the chase, Mistress. I would know why."

"Why?" I asked. "I told you this. I had the Gift, and I was ordered." I was confused now. Was the detective addled?

"You misunderstand," was his simple rejoinder. "I want to know, when all of this happened...why did you help?"

I sat back in my chair, too astonished to retain my affected composure, let alone care about its collapse. His blunt question forced the same in my answer. "This is my home, monk. These streets, these people, these tunnels, these criminals, these victims. They are of me, and I of them. It is simple, where I dwell. An attack on one is an attack on us all." How little did this monk think of us? "They invaded my home and hurt my people. There is nothing I would not do to avenge that."

Miscellany:
  • One racial and one bonus feat: Heavily Armored, Magic Initiate (Sorcerer)
  • Magic items: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Mithral plate armor (maybe), unbreakable arrow
  • Contact: Laura of the Claret Orders. Rimi's on-and-off-and-on-again lover. They have a tempestuous relationship, as she disdains The Clasp.

Last edited by Berith; Yesterday at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:16 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 491
Thunderstruck Thunderstruck Thunderstruck Thunderstruck Thunderstruck
Quill
right-aligned image

Name: Arno-Hewitt Carlin Zhoug Folknor, more commonly known as 'Quill'

Race: Forest Gnome

Class: Rogue 3 (Inquisitive)/Wizard 2 (Diviner)

Role: Quill is frequently employed by the Dark Rose to uncover useful 'bargaining' chips that might at some point be used to benefit the Clasp. His ability to root out the truth, discern lies and anticipate a source of juicy information has served him well in these activities, to the extent that the Clasp keep a close eye on him, lest he become a two way source of information.

Alignment: Neutral, with good tendencies

Background: Investigator

Backstory: On his honest days, Quill describes himself as a purveyor of recent history; on those days when he is more focused on paying his debt to the Clasp, his work deteriorates into digging for dirt, a task at which he is well adjusted to, frequently digging up diamonds.

Quill arrived in Emon as a young naive gnome, with an insatiable curiosity and an eye for spotting mysteries worthy of untangling. Baffled at first by the events that were gossiped upon, Quill made it his goal to not just become familiar with what was happening, no matter what the topic. Idle gossip and fanciful second hand stories were of little interest to him either, Quill wanted to know what was happening and quickly found that others were willing to pay sizable quantities of gold for accurate accounts of events.

Soon it was no longer enough for Quill to be able to act as a detective and uncover the truth: to truly get a good account he needed to be present. He sought out the services of a mage who promised to teach Quill how to manipulate the weave of the universe in order that he be better able to pierce the murky waters of what the future may hold. The price demanded by the mage was extortionate however; desperate to swell his abilities he turned to the Clasp, promising to work for them in exchange for their sponsorship. Seeing a tool who's skillset was well suited to their activities, the Dark Rose took Quill up on his offer, pressing him into work as one of their premier information sources, gathering news and noble dealings for the use of the Dark Rose information brokers.

Now Quill exists almost became an omen of interest: where he goes things are sure to happen...

Appearance: A typical gnome in terms of height and build, Quill is distinguished by three things. His flaming mane of hair that pinpoint him in a crowd as surely as a spotlight. His half moon spectacles, behind which dart bright blues eyes, constantly scrutinizing his surroundings for clues and betraying his incessant curiosity. And finally his namesake, a large duck plume quill either furiously scrawling notes across a sheet of parchment or else tucked haphazardly behind an ear ready to be put to immediate use.

Personality: There is a nervous energy about Quill, a constant fidget most noticeable in his eyes that are always seeking out clues, or the precursors for an interesting mystery. Quill is at his most lively when on the hunt for information and never more morose when he has missed being present for a much talked about event. The explosion at the academy's graduation had in in a dark mood for a couple of hours before he realized no-one knew what was happening and the mystery sent his spirits soaring. He has no respect for pure gossips though, who spread stories without any attempt to untangle truth from lie or embellishment.

RP sample:

"Well they were criminals weren't they? See something of value and of course they'll snap it up. And I was definitely something of value. I may have been a bit rawer than I am now but I was still extremely good at getting the truth out of people. The Clasp as you may know have quite an interest in the truth, particularly those truths that the nobility would rather not share. As I say I had the talent to first discover then access their secret sanctums. And I was rather desperate at that time too. A little lacking in funding to pay a certain individual for something I wanted from him. So in a way it was less trust and more a mutually beneficial arrangement."

Quill pauses under his interrogator's unwavering stare. This was something of a new experience for the gnome, usually he was the one asking the questions. He squirmed a little, perched in the solid wooden chair obviously built for a much larger interrogatee. He couldn't imagine a larger person being any more comfortable however, particularly in front of this detective. Quill still hadn't seen him blink. "And the second part: why was I hunting for the attackers in the first place? The answer to that lies in the very wording of the question! 'Attackers' meaning people didn't know who they were or why they had carried out their activities. Indeed, the very act of hunting was necessary because everyone knew so little. How could I possible let such an investigation pass me by without getting involved somehow. The explosions will be written into history for decades to come. This was my chance to really make an impact on ensuring those histories reflected the truth! You remember some of the wild rumors that came out soon after, about shadow assassins, the revenge of the Conclave and the rise of Vecna." Quill's mouth curls in a tiny grimace of distaste. "If uncovering the truth was not enough motivation then shutting down the worst of those stories definitely was."

He looked up meeting the eyes of the detective again and spread his hands in a gesture of supplication. "That's all my reasons laid out clear as day. If you'll allow me I would very much like to take my leave now, after you return my quill and notes. I have a feeling that there is likely to be an announcement of a scandal in the Central district within the hour and I would very much like to be there to record the reaction of the involved daughter..."

Last edited by Thunderstruck; 08-24-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:35 AM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Rogues I get, but y'all better explain why you like warlocks so much
Don't get me wrong, I love me some eldritch blasts as much as the next guy
But you better expect me to be role-playing as your patrons throughout the game

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 08-24-2019 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:38 AM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3976
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
I love me some warlocks, but every group I've made it into with a warlock has fallen apart.

That said, Vari's children apparently had an affinity for bad deals.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:57 AM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
I don't know what you expected from that one
I mean, the one warlock in it ended up being the good guy that complained while the clerics and paladin started burning the townsfolk alive!
Though I am never sure with Iggi. Is he a warlock or a cleric? An orc or an aasimar? All we know is he's crazy in the head, even more so than anyone else

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 08-24-2019 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:36 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hm yes, I need to flesh out the patron...happily, Hexblade patrons connect pretty easily with the shadow sorcerous origin...
Old 08-24-2019, 10:21 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 491
Thunderstruck Thunderstruck Thunderstruck Thunderstruck Thunderstruck

Last edited by Thunderstruck; 08-24-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:28 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1335
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Oh a Taldorei game! Throwing in my interest. Haven't had the chance to read through everything yet so I apologize if this has been asked already. How do you feel about me playing a Drow?
Old 08-24-2019, 03:42 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
I like drows, and I would like someone playing a drow
This being said, there's a situation regarding drows in the city at the moment that would make it much harder than usual to play one, though I'd wish to wait for the start of the game to reveal it in full
In other words: I'd allow it, but its gonna be a rough start. Do it at your own risk.

Also, some players asked the obvious question of when will the characters jump into the story, so I prepared a simple timeline of the events from the first game. More detailed timelines and information will be available to you once the game picks up, depending on which Spireling you work for and what questions you want answered.

To make things clear:
The month is Quen'pillar - Early Autumn
Morning of the 13th - The attacks take place
Night of the 13th - The DR and LM Spirelings meet with the Council's Master of Information, Seeker Assum - a former Clasp agent
Morning of the 14th - A CF capo establishes direct contact and agrees to cooperate with the Seeker's Special Task Force of detectives
Remainder of the 14th - Capos are told to send in their best before the Spirelings in order to assemble a team that'll focus on tracking down the attackers through the Clasp's methods
Midnight between the 14th and 15th - That's where you come in

And yes, this means the original game took almost a year to play out 2 days, posting once a week at the very least to thrice at the highest point.
We like to go deep in this here my digital table.

Also, for any future applicants: I know the Hidden Fang and Dark Rose are the coolest sounding Spirelings in town, and their agents will likely have a ton of fun playing their roles; but I'd really rather start the game with at least one enforcer for each of the four. Joining the Laughing Moon or the Clenched Fist at this stage will make your application more likely to be considered, given the stiff competition already boiling within the other two. Just a thought.
That does not mean any previous applicants should go back and switch teams based on that! I like your apps precisely because how well they fit these styles already, so don't fret too much about it.

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 08-24-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:08 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1335
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
I love playing Drow with all the consequences so I won't back down from that. Should have an app up tonight.