RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-14-2018, 05:11 AM
Jim Faindel's Avatar
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel is online now
I encourage peace
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-19-2019
RPXP: 4094
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Posts: 1,983
Chapter 2 - An Unkind Kindling

An Unkind Kindling06:01 am, on the 14th of Quen'pillar
right-aligned image


The city stirs from its slumber with unease, the night's shadows clinging with desperation to the tall walls, embodying the painful memory of the lives that had been stolen. Despite the sunlight, the streets were darker than the day before; this wasn't a sentimental statement, but a grim reality, as without the merciful rain to wash them away the ashes of the Lyceum and its students stained the streets and homes of the Erudite's District. It would be long before such a scar could be erased.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Far to the north, Valdur woke up in a bed he didn't quite recall, until his eyes opened to find the dark and scaly skin of a woman he wouldn't forget any time soon. The dwarf lingered in his half-dreaming state for a moment longer, but soon found Claudia staring deeply back at him, with a sly and satisfied smile, as if she'd been watching him sleep for a while.

Without as much as a word, the dragonborn helped him back into his clothes, and softly opened the silk drapes that covered her modest workplace, allowing the now fully awake dwarf to see a most unexpected sight: Lucien, fully dressed and cheerfully whistling a tune, setting a large round table in the middle of the brothel for breakfast. He could see the others getting dressed and joining him as they brought plates of food from another room behind a different partition on the wall.

It would seem that he was now considered part of their strange family, as a spot was set for him along the others, and as conversation finally started to combat the early morning silence, he could find nothing more than friendly banter and welcoming smiles. Eventually, one by one the sex workers, now sharply dressed like any other god-fearing inhabitant of the city, excused themselves and left the building, until only those interested in their dwarven visitor remained, sharing a few sweets and fruit to finish breaking their fast.

Lucien, Claudia and Frederick were sitting around him, while Cindy, the blue tiefling that Elrohir had tried to charm the previous night, and the small girl that had first received them, who he'd since learned was named Laura, headed downstairs and returned with a small golden goblet. Before he could ask for its purpose, he watched surprised as each of them took a knife from the table, cleaned it, and proceeded to spill some of their blood inside it, passing it along the table until Lucien reached towards him, saying "Our fair lady needs some food to start her day as well, and you can imagine how taxing it must have been for her bringing Freddy here back from the other side of the veil. Mind joining in on our little gift to her?"

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Directly south from there, within a small but well maintained cell inside the Emon Police HQ, Lady Sorrel woke up in an embrace as well, though unlike Valdur, this one did take her entirely by surprise. Huddled in her arms was Silvana, and in her slender hands, the sleeping gunslinger's neck. It was then that the bardess realized Silvana's fingers were also on a choking position around her own throat, and she could feel some numbness, as if they had spent the entire night that way.

She promptly got up from such a compromising position, and tried to recall the previous night. No matter how much she tried to press her memory, she could only recall their silent walk into the building, Ashelle's monotone description of the events to the guards, and then some quiet moments before each of them managed to sleep, most definitely in different beds. That was as much as she remembered, and yet, she had not waken up where she had laid, but instead on Silvana's side, and the fact she couldn't conjure up the memories of how that had come to be troubled her somewhat, as did her sore throat.

But there wasn't much time to ponder about this, as soon enough an officer came looking for her, stating with a dispassionate voice that the interrogator had arrived and was expecting her immediately. Be it as an act of prudence, or simply because her voice wasn't quite recovered yet, she followed without protest, only turning back to the cell as Silvana started coughing as she woke up and watched her leave.

After that, the interrogation was short. A tall and lean human male in his thirties spent half an hour or so asking ever so slightly different versions of the same questions, trying to determine whether her motives held any weight under the accusations levied against her. In the end, despite her position and goal, the burning questions remained. "What evidence could you possibly have against that woman, which would require such drastic measures? Was there no other way in which you could have proceeded? Why was using magic your first course of action?" She had been told that there had been no legal actions taken by her alleged victim, but her family had quickly spreaded word of their version of the story, and what little sway the police held in the southern slums had been clearly undermined by this mistake. Thanks to the Seeker, the interrogator was in no position to strip her of her rank, but he was still waving around the threat of a 150 gold fine at her.

Meanwhile, Silvana had woken up with a sore throat as well, and had needed a moment to process where she was and why was she alone in the cell. Eventually, an officer had come for her as well, but he had not taken her to any interrogation room, instead bringing the tiefling on the burnt uniform directly to Chief Tanner's office, where the muscular man was patiently waiting with two cups of coffee and the same stern look she'd seen when first requesting joining the force. "Officer Silvana, at ease. Please have a sit, drink some coffee, we've got to speak. As you are aware, the reason you had to spend the night in here and are now standing before me is a matter of discipline while acting in behalf of the police. Now, I am in the know as to who do you answer to know, and gods be damned, I cannot blame you for acting the way you did, I'd even congratulate you for keeping the whole affair free of civilian casualties. But sadly for you, my opinion isn't the one that matters here, if for the only reason that you didn't act by wielding magic or swords, but instead by drawing those damned guns of yours."

The man stood silent for a moment after that, letting the tiefling try to guess at his intentions while he retrieved a small manila envelope, stamped with EVIDENCE in bold, red letters. He gingerly put it on his desk, stopped to take a swig of his own coffee, and opened it before her, taking a compacted metal lump from it and holding it before the detective's eyes as he spoke once more. "This here was your warning shot. We found it on the nightstand of a local merchant, who thankfully didn't fully understand the situation and only asked us to pay for the window this bullet broke before landing a few inches left of him. Because of this, I am afraid that a fine and some classes won't cut it this time. Don't misunderstand, you'll still pay those 50 gold and I'll be seeing your face over the weekend at the disciplinary courses all the same, but it just so happens that the city has a particular arrangement regarding the use of firearms with a certain figure, who has already been notified of the incident and intends to get in contact with you this afternoon. You've surely heard of the man, a noble from Whitestone, going by the name of De Rolo. You are to come here at 6:30 pm in order to have a magically assisted audience with him."

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

"This... this has to be a dream... it cannot be anything else... but I... how could I... I shouldn’t..." the elven girl's voice sounded eerily sharp as she ran across the bloodied streets she didn't know, all the while the gargantuan buildings around here flanked her every step, looming against the night sky like terrible giants waiting to fall upon her. She had been running for a long time, a really long time. Impossibly long. The streets she'd walk through had not been red at first, but as she kept on running, eventually her feet had started to bleed, painting them so thoroughly that she should have died ten times already after such an inordinate exsanguination.

Yet she couldn't stop. She knew if she did, the monster would catch her. The sound of chains clattering along the cobbled streets had followed her all that time, as her relentless pursuer drew ever closer. A cold sweat formed in her back, driving her to push further despite the pain. "I'll die if I stop now" the girl said with an adult voice she did not recognize, as tears welled up in her eyes. But as soon as she had spoken the street under her seemed to open like a hellish mouth trying to consume her. She had jumped, but her small body still fell, clutching at the chains that bound the earth itself in a last attempt to break her fall, but only managing to destroy her thin frame as it came crashing down against the cold and hard steel, her blood now painting chain links over and over again, for what seemed like an eternity. And then she heard a laugh, terrible and all encompassing, a joyless laugh that sounded more like the cry of a hurt beast, which at once snapped her out of her dark dream.

In the southern-most part of Emon, within the slums that had been her home for the largest part of her adult life, Ashelle woke up to the anguished cries of her sister, who had spent the last several minutes trying to shake her from her nightmarish slumber. At first, she had not recognized that strange sobbing woman next to her, but something deep within told her she should know that face. As she tried to speak out, she felt blood coming up her throat, and in a flash of pain, reality finally hit her. Eventually, both sisters managed to calm down long enough for Asp to start talking again, holding Ash tight as she explained what had happened. "I came in just before dawn and saw that your window was broken. I rushed in, thinking I'd find a thief, but instead I found you, choking yourself and crying. Ash, I tried to wake you up, I really did, but you simply wouldn't come to. The best I could do was hold your hands and stop you from hurting yourself further. Sis, your neck... it's covered in bruises, as if someone had tried to split it in half with a chain. Please tell me, what the hell is going on?"

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Around the same time, within the Central District, the large Lavia and the young Eliza arrived at their place of work with tired smiles, as they retrieved the mail and opened the doors of Guild Doors Inc. for business, while wondering just where Lewis could possibly be. They were unaware that their coworker was staring at them from the building at the opposite side of the street while standing next to the guard Elrohir had told him to hire. They had spent the night keeping an eye on the offices, and the old man was only waiting for his boss to say the word before finally getting some shut-eye.

Lavia got to the morning preparations right away, like she'd done a thousand times before and as she'd hopefully do a thousand times more. She had come that day with a small package meant for the young girl that had spent the night there. It wasn't much, but she'd brought a fresh change of clothes and a few of her famous cookies to share with her, thinking she should be waking up any time now. In the meantime, she gathered the mail and left it at its usual spot in a shared table within the reception area, raising an eyebrow at the large amount of letters sent to people she didn't recognize, but that she assumed were the ones Elrohir had brought to the office on the previous day.

There were two letters for Elrohir, three for one Zhon, one for someone named Ashelle, and one for their guest Andrea. She wasn't one to pry on personal affairs, so she neatly stacked them on the side of a heavy box sealed with the Council's sigil, which was far more intriguing to her. She then proceeded to discard all the advertisement and fliers that had come in with the mail as she did each morning, but the headline on the newspaper below them caught her attention. It of course talked of the explosion on the Lyceum, which she already knew about. Curious to see if there was anything else worth reading from it, she flipped a couple pages, and immediately dropped it in sheer disbelief. She eventually picked it back up with trembling hands, read it once as her heart sank lower with each word, and promptly raced towards the bedrooms on the back of the building, yelling loudly "BOSS! ELROHIR! WHAT IN TARNATION DID YOU DO LAST NIGHT?! WHY ON EXANDRIA WOULD YOU FIGHT WITH THE CLASP, YOU GOT A DEATH WISH OR SOMETHING?!"

 
__________________
If I could be an expert in just one arcane
and madness inducing field of study,
it would be you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:06 AM
In the Mix's Avatar
In the Mix In the Mix is offline
Chocolate Chips
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-19-2019
RPXP: 2834
In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix
Posts: 2,315
left-aligned image


Drea's eyes fluttered open, staring up at an unrecognized ceiling. She continued to lay on the floor, fearful of what she'll see, or what will happen to her, should she turn her head to look. Images of Jeremiah Greenleaf began to flood her mind, memories of him over her, holding her hands over her head while he...

Drea clenched her teeth, screaming through them to muffle the sound. ~ "Master does not like a noisy bitch." she remembered him teaching her. A tear fell down her cheek, as she silently prayed that he wasn't in the room. And that gave her the fearful courage to take a better look toward the bed she saw in her periphery.

Empty. The bed had been slept in, but he was not there. A choked sigh of relief escaped Drea's lungs, and she curled up into a ball. She lay there for a moment, remembering the night before, leading up to her riding in the cab... and then nothingness. Again. But she was safe now. Mister Seeker had asked her to help him, and she had clung to the first person to make her feel welcome, Mister Elrohir.

Finally wiping those tears away, Drea pushed herself up and got on her clothes.
Dice Stealth:
1d20+2 (8)+2 Total = 10
Walking quietly to the door, she peaked out, looking from side to side. She was hoping that she had not woken anyone, but a pain in her waist made her rethink that hope. She slowly began her search for the wash-closet. Mister Elrohir had
Dice Wisdom Check:
1d20+2 (19)+2 Total = 21
surely shown her where it was. Thankfully, it didn't take long for the memory of where to go slipped into her mind, and she was able to quickly relieve herself.

 

 

 
__________________
Has taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by In the Mix; 11-14-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2018, 01:24 PM
anamiac's Avatar
anamiac anamiac is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-19-2019
RPXP: 3579
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
Posts: 5,194
Ashele Orome
right-aligned image

Confusion and terror, in equal amounts. Her thoughts raced, but at the same time they went nowhere. Her mind was a bucket brigade, without buckets. Instead people just grabbed water with their hands and flung it at the next person. As fast as they could, ever more frantic - and yet no water reached the flames and the fire raged ever hotter, coming ever closer.

It takes her a while to come down from her hysteria and recognize her surroundings. "Asp? I... I was choking myself?" She gets up and stumbles over to the washbasin, trying to see herself through the shard of glass of what had once been a large mirror. Her neck was covered in purple, blue, and red welts. Her eyes were red, tears still flowing down her face. "Everlight save me!" She takes off her clothes and checks to make sure she doesn't have damage anywhere else.

"This is Tharizdun's doing. I was investigating a cult that worships him, is trying to release him." She explains what happened in the previous day as she washes her face and it takes her a couple attempts to get the illusiory armor to look like a crisp uniform.gets dressed, then comes over to sit next to her sister on the bed.


"Do you have a scarf I can borrow?" She didn't want questions about her neck. She knew what people would think. What she would think, if she saw someone with bruises like this on their neck. She'd assume someone was doing what Lady Anita had been doing to her cousin.

The sunlight began streaking through the broken window. "Why did I do that?" She investigates to see if her key or anything else is missing. "I need to be going. We're all supposed to meet up at Elrohir's office at eight, and I have to check on those Tieflings at the military prison. And I need to know if the canine officers found anything to the south." So why didn't she want to go? She felt like plopping right back on that bed and lying there until the end of the world. No. That would be letting him win. Tharizdun wasn't as smart as he thought he was. Before, she'd just been pissed at some cultists for kidnapping innocent children. It was personal now. He would regret bringing himself to her attention. She couldn't stab Tharizdun, or arrest him, but she could and would see his plans in ruins. He loved chains so much? Well he could rot in them.

 



 

__________________
We are men of action, lies do not become us.
Westley - The Princess Bride

Last edited by anamiac; 11-14-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-14-2018, 05:01 PM
ihinka's Avatar
ihinka ihinka is offline
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-14-2019
RPXP: 1720
ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka
Posts: 1,080
Warning! Choking hazard!
right-aligned image
Under any other circumstances Silvana might have been slightly chuffed to wake up in the arms of someone like Lady Sorrel. But something about this just wasn't right, the gunsmith ruminated, running her fingers gently over her bruised throat. I bet it's connected to that accursed poem of worship Lady Sorrel translated for us. Ash had said it belonged to some cultist. It was somehow connected to the disturbance reported in the slums, but Silvana didn't have all the details on that.

Before the gunsmith could delve deeper into her thoughts an officer came for her. She was brought before the chief of police. The beefy man offered her a seat and a cup of coffee gruffly. Silvana smiled internally as she sat down obediently, but made no motion to grab the cup of coffee. Chief Tanner could never seem to remember she didn't drink coffee, but rather, tea. And correcting the Chief was never a good idea. The gunslinger wasn't nervous in the presence of her boss though. After working under Vanessa no boss could ever make her fidget.

"Thanks, Chief, but I'd rather not on an empty stomach." Silvana refused politely, indicating the coffee with her eyes. She fell silent and listened to her boss explain her situation and what was about to happen. Initially the gunslinger had been miffed with the officer who'd written her up. But an evening in quiet reflection in the cell had calmed her down somewhat. The officer had simply done his duty. It wasn't his fault. Nor could Silvana find fault within herself. She'd done everything possible to avoid civilian casualties, but simply allowing that drow mage to escape hadn't been an option either.

And it would appear the Chief was not all that angry with her actions and the way she'd decided to handle that particular situation. The fine she would pay no questions asked. If civilian property was damaged due to her actions it was only right she payed. But then the bigger issue seemed to be connected to her choice of arms, rather than anything else. And as Silvana listened to the Chief she had to fight with her inner fan-girl when she began piecing together who Chief Tanner was talking about. A magically assisted audience with Lord De Rolo! I shouldn't be excited about this! The gunsmith scolded herself. But she couldn't help it. Percival De Rolo was the reason she was on the path of the gun in a manner of speaking. And the reason she was in Emon. Oh, I understand full well this is meant to be punitive, but still... Silvana tried hard to not let her excitement show.

"Sir, I understand were you are coming from and while I stand by my actions and the way I decided to handle that particular situation, I will submit willingly to any measures you deem necessary. I joined the Guard to help people and I believe I'm still doing that to the best of my abilities." The gunsmith stated respectfully. "I will make arrangements to pay the fine immediately and to be present for my disciplinary courses and the audience with Lord De Rolo." Silvana stood up and bowed her head slightly. "If that is all, sir, I shall take my leave. I need to collect my associate as we are expected elsewhere."

With that the gunslinger left Chief Tanner's office and Bye-bye 50GP went to pay her fine, before going on the hunt for Lady Sorrel. She found the officer on duty and inquired about her friend as well as if she could I want me magic hats back! bring her any possessions of theirs that were confiscated from them the evening before. And once the officer had brought back Silvana and Lady Sorrel's personal affects, the gunsmith sat down to wait for the Lady to be released from custody as well.


Actions and Rolls



Character DetailsSheet

 


 
__________________
How do you wanna do this?!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:43 PM
Tyeal's Avatar
Tyeal Tyeal is offline
Superior Sorcerer Supreme
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-18-2019
RPXP: 4782
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Posts: 1,994
Valdur
left-aligned image

Valdur awoke with a huge yawn and a big stretch, stopping midway when he felt eyes on him. Looking over and seeing Claudia smiling at him, that kind of small knowing smile that he had seen before but... never really directed at him. Particularly after what had transpired to earn him such a look. He became suddenly very interested in straightening his beard while Claudia rose with him and even helping him into his clothes and armor. He offered to do the same, of course, before heading out to the common room where... A partially clothed Lucien was setting up for breakfast. A sight he hadn't been expecting to encounter to say the least. He had been considering the closest place he could get a meal before meeting up with everyone else but that worry was long gone.

He offered to help however he could before sitting down, loading up his plate, and digging in with gusto. He had utterly exhausted himself yesterday and was more ready than every to attack this new day! His shoveling was interrupted when a figure rose up from the secret passage and carrying a golden goblet. Valdur watched as those around the table cut themselves to dribble their blood into the cup and then Lucien passed it to him. Wiping apple bits and crumbs from his beard he took a dagger from inside his boot, winced as he cut his palm and squeezed his hand over the glass, not wishing to miss out on this opportunity nor be seen as unwilling to help.

Once he finished eating he bade so long to those present, parted last with Claudia, and went on his way. The armored Dwarf marched through the streets of Emon just as dawn was peeking over the taller houses and sturdy walls of the city, bathing whatever it touched in a golden glow. A warm sight to say the least, one that brough a brief smile to his bearded features. As he walked and guards changed shifts, he caught a bit of their gossip.

"F*ckin' mad what's goin' on. All in one night too! Gods knows how a beast like that even got into th' city. Heard it had long tentacles comin' outta it's back and was fast as th' wind!"
"Aye, heard that 'un too. Didja hear those explosion too? Sounded like a storm was brewin' in the middle of the city! Like that one fella that was here fightin' Thordak... White haired fella, posh accent, glasses.... Ah, whatever."
"Think it has anythin' t'do with th' Lyceum catchin' fire?"
"If it is, I'm stayin' faaaar away from ANYTHING like last night!"

The two guards chuckled in agreement and continued walking off together as new faces came in for their shift at the same post. "What the hells happened last night?" He muttered to himself. "I missed far, far more than I thought. Everyone was in danger and I..." His leisurely gait was replaced with a hard run, charging through the streets in full gear to make his way back to GDI HQ. He needed details, he needed to know who was safe and who was hurt, he needed to know that everyone was safe despite his horrendous negligence as a Knight!

When he found the building he charged in, busting through the door, panting, and laying eyes on the receptionist. He rushed the desk, nearly bumping into it. "Who's here? Is Elrohir 'ere at least? Who's gotten back this mornin'? What beast got loose Oi've been hearin' about?" His accent was flying thick and fast as he just bombarded Lavia with questions, looking frantic and guilty and worried and panting for breath between each question.


Character Sheet
 
__________________
I am never without protection. Forever am I armed with razor wit and a sharp mind. - Anonymous
The RNG gods favor those that roleplay well. - Something I say very often

Last edited by Tyeal; 11-14-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-15-2018, 03:03 AM
Xalnaga's Avatar
Xalnaga Xalnaga is online now
Watching siliently
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-19-2019
RPXP: 2557
Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga
Posts: 4,721
Elrohir

Elrohir had gotten home, shown Deea to her bed then had fallen on his bed exhausted. Though, thanks to his elven blood four hours was all that he required he slept more. Nursing injuries like he'd never experienced. His mind exhausted from all that had been thrown from it. But as the sun rose so did Elrohir Gildor. With a stretch that would make others jealous he got himself dressed. Completely ignoring the his bloodied clothes from yesterday he found new pants, shoes, shirts and over coat. When he finally left his room, with his hair perfect, he looked like a business man with enough money to be concerned about how good he looked. He made his way down stairs, lit the fire and put on a pot of tea like he always did in the morning so when the others of Guild Door Inc walked into the office they could enjoy a hot beverage. Thought this morning he retrieved a caldron from the kitchen and out that over the fire instead. They were expecting more than the usual crowd this morning.

Once the water was heating he left the offices to find the extra guard he'd hired to see if anything has transpired yesterday or last night. He inquired if there were any other sub-contracters as it was and requested his professional opinion upon how to better watch the offices and what would be required. Upon finding Lewis with the guard Elrohir spoke to the older of the two men.
"Lewis, what are you doing here? You need to get some rest... Before you go were you able to find any rumours last night, anything that might be viable?"

After sending Lewis home for some rest he went back into the offices wondering just what the day might bring. He sat down next to the fire, not too close though, the fire was roaring because there was a lot of water to heat. He contemplated his findings wandering if the others had found anything else that might reinforce or destroy his ideas. Finally Lavia and Eliza arrived for the morning.
"Good morning Ladies, I trust your nights were well."

As Elrohir was passed only two of the letters from the pile he opened the first and began to read it. When that was finished he put it upside down on his desk then read the other. He then spent some time going over them in his mind just trying to figure out what might be the best course of action in regards to that information.

He began to open the heavy chest with he council's seal on it when Lavia yelled at him. "We are mentioned as fighting against the Clasp! " Elrohir spat and sat upright. He knew that wasn't true and so did the higher ups in the Clasp but why of middle or lower management who might decide to gain more notoriety for themselves by taking out GDI. "I'm not sure if being seen as one willing to stand up to the Clasp is good for business or not but regardless we need to fix that." Elrohir looked to Eliza. "I know you haven't had your morning tea yet but could you find out who wrote this and ask them politely that I'd like to have a word. Maybe an exclusive interview." he added with a wink. The last thing we need is a dick waving contest with Clasp no-bodies.

"Lavia, sweat Lavia. The truth is that myself Thomas and Drea were watching very a meeting between the clasp leadership and the council. No one should no that. I think, GDI was involved in an investigation that uncovered an assassin who the Clasp were also hunting. Together we fought the assassin but unfortunately I was unable to bring the man to justice as that came into conflict with the Clasps own version of Justice. There was a magical explosion but it was from the assassin, which the Clasp saved me from, I don't think it has anything to do with the attack on the Lyceum though GDI are leiasing with the Emon Arms in case it is related." with that Elrohir gave Lavis the 'official story' that happened last night. He then went into more detail and spent a large portion of time going into his meetings with the Raven Queen.

As Soon arrived Elrohir welcomed him inside. "I hope you are well rested Zhon"




*****
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-15-2018, 09:11 AM
nickostopheles's Avatar
nickostopheles nickostopheles is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-19-2019
RPXP: 2308
nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles
Posts: 1,256
Zhon Quadsun, NG, human, Cleric of Everlight 2, Fighter/Monster Hunter 3
left-aligned image


Quote:
As Soon arrived Elrohir welcomed him inside, and said, "I hope you are well rested Zhon."
Zhon entered with a smile, and said, "I am ready for a long day of hard work, Elrohir. I’ve brought snacks or a late breakfast depending on who you are and what you’ve done. "

He followed Elrohir to the GDI front desk and to Lavia bringing with him the smells of fresh baked sweet and savory rolls. .

"Good morning, Miss Lavia, would you like some baked goodness?" said Zhon lowering his basket and jiggling it slightly to offer.

Lavia, taking a pastry, with one hand passed Zhon three letters with the other and said, "These letters are for you and this… right here… is for me."

Zhon took the letters and said, "Hmm," as Elrohir escorted Zhon into the planning room. He placed the basket on a convenient table and was about to open the letters, when he heard...

Quote:
When he found the building he charged in, busting through the door, panting, and laying eyes on the receptionist. He rushed the desk, nearly bumping into it. "Who's here? Is Elrohir 'ere at least? Who's gotten back this mornin'? What beast got loose Oi've been hearin' about?" His accent was flying thick and fast as he just bombarded Lavia with questions, looking frantic and guilty and worried and panting for breath between each question.
Zhon being nearest the door to the reception area, opened it and found Valdur all flustered.

"We're in here, come", said Zhon his cheer slightly reduced in the face of Valdur's obvious fear.

He looked to Elrohir with a concerned look that said, What has been going on? Should I be worried?

 
__________________
I post less on weekends.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-15-2018, 02:04 PM
Classic Gamer's Avatar
Classic Gamer Classic Gamer is offline
---ALL HEART---
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-23-2019
RPXP: 2292
Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer
Posts: 1,397
Morning Devotionals

right-aligned image



Good Ole Joe. Java. The Jittery Juice. Liquid Energy. A Cup of Mud. Some people just could not function properly in the morning without having their coffee. It had become a stone cold fact. So almost as soon as his feet had hit the floor, Salt had busied himself brewing several pots of the dark liquid of differing strengths, because some people liked a little more kick than others. He wanted his colleagues to be on point for the meeting this morning to compare notes.

Brewing separately were a like amount of teas brewing of equal strengths as well. Why? Because Never Date An Alchemist, that was why. Salt had done just that once upon a time, and among the many things that he had imbibed during that time, both knowingly and unknowingly, tea was always the safest substance she had around.

Since he had not always managed to reach the tea first, but often to take the sting out of his throat from something else, Salt had developed the habit of taking his tea both strong and sweet.

Strong enough to match any coffee enthusiast's bold brew and sweet enough to give anyone's sweet tooth a shot in the chops. The romance with the alchemist had not lasted, but the love affair with his favorite concoction of tea lived on. Salt sometimes thought that if he were to give his own brew a nickname, it would be called Street Sweeper.

Since not everyone would be equally enamored with his breakfast brew, he whipped up the other teas and coffees as well. And not to leave anyone slighted, he would add a few fruit juices and other drinks to the serving carts that he brought to the meeting table.

Satisfied with his progress as he began to hear others stirring about the building, Salt lifted a mug to his lips. Here's Blood In Your Eye!


*****



(OOC) More Stuff In A Little Box
 


 



Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-15-2018, 04:12 PM
Xalnaga's Avatar
Xalnaga Xalnaga is online now
Watching siliently
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-19-2019
RPXP: 2557
Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga
Posts: 4,721
Elrohir - Owner of GDI
right-aligned image


Hearing the Do the locomotioncommotion Elrohir puts down his cup of tea and heads towards the front desk. "Easy Valdur. Do not fear." Then it hit Elrohir. He'd seen both Salt and Kyratan but he hadn't asked how they got on. to lighten the mood he added "I only nearly died, but Drea and Thomas were there to ensure nothing too dramatic happened... but yes there was a beast but I think Thomas would be the best to fill us in on what happened. Himself and Kyratan went to investigate and support the others." He didn't mention that he hadn't heard from them yet, but it was not 8 bells yet so there was still hope and time.
"Thomas, I forgot to asked, with all our drama, did you find the others and the beast?"

*****



 



Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-15-2018, 04:41 PM
kymrel's Avatar
kymrel kymrel is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-19-2019
RPXP: 2482
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Posts: 2,207
Kytaran Finuthin
right-aligned image
Snapping out of his trance in a well-rested and calm state, Kytaran looks out the window of his modest loft, not knowing what to expect. It’s still early, but he doesn’t have long before he needs to be at Elrohir’s office again. He stretches and does his usual morning exercise regime of stretches and lunges. Only after that does he get out his spellbook again to refresh his recollection of a warding spell that, although weak, might save him from being incinerated if another assassin chooses to blow themselves up uncomfortably close to him. He knows that it’s far from the power level needed to survive a blast like at the Lyceum, but anything might help if he’s at a distance.

After a brief consideration he also turns to the page with one of the few spells he’s bothered learning that could be considered offensive in nature. This one is designed to burn enemies with lashes of fire. Not something he has used a lot, but if facing another assassin he suspects might want to blow himself up, he’ll want to keep his distance.


After refreshing his memory, he returns his spellbook to the hiding place under the floorboards and rolls out his rug again before putting on his armor and buckling on his sword. He is in no particular hurry going to the office, early as he is, so he stops and purchases tea and a roll of light, freshly baked corn bred stuffed with white cheese and herbs at his usual place.

Refreshed and rested, he enters the office. He nods to the receptionist and heads to the back, where he hears people talking. ”I see we all made it through the night,” he says drily by way of greeting. ”Let us hope that our good fortunes hold. And that our fellow investigator have been likewise blessed,” he says. He remains standing, for now, listening to the others and waiting for the rest of the team to show up. He doesn’t feel like going over what he found out the day before twice, so he waits.

OOC
 
__________________
People say I'm evil and twisted, but I really have the heart of a young boy. In a jar, on my desk.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-15-2018, 10:53 PM
In the Mix's Avatar
In the Mix In the Mix is offline
Chocolate Chips
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-19-2019
RPXP: 2834
In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix
Posts: 2,315
left-aligned image


Drea tip-toes silently toward the room the others were gathering, only to be waved over by Lavia.

When Lavia gave her the parcel, Drea's eyes widened with surprise. "For me?" she asked. The answer should have been obvious, but Drea was still unused to receiving generosity, especially from those she did not know. "Thank you." she says with a clumsy curtsy, then proceeded to open the gift.

Drea is left speechless, but her lips turn up in a smile, filling her eyes full of happiness. She quickly wraps Lavia in a quick embrace, before turning to head back the way she came. She stops, turns back around and grabs a freshly baked cookie, and then a second, before also retrieving the letter pointed out for her. That, of course, confused Drea further, as she wasn't expecting mail... ever. With a cookie in her mouth, she returned to her room, at a brisk pace.

After changing into her new clothes, Drea is eager to show Mister Elrohir. But she also wants to show she can restrain her excitement. Taking a deep breath, Drea walks slowly toward the conference, once again.

 

 

 
__________________
Has taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-16-2018, 01:02 AM
Tyeal's Avatar
Tyeal Tyeal is offline
Superior Sorcerer Supreme
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-18-2019
RPXP: 4782
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Posts: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalnaga View Post
Elrohir - Owner of GDI
Hearing the Do the locomotioncommotion Elrohir puts down his cup of tea and heads towards the front desk. "Easy Valdur. Do not fear." Then it hit Elrohir. He'd seen both Salt and Kyratan but he hadn't asked how they got on. to lighten the mood he added "I only nearly died, but Drea and Thomas were there to ensure nothing too dramatic happened... but yes there was a beast but I think Thomas would be the best to fill us in on what happened. Himself and Kyratan went to investigate and support the others."


Valdur
left-aligned image

He whipped around to see Zhon enter and then Elrohir entering with Drea not far behind. "Only nearly?" He echoes incredulously. "I thought we'd be in big enough groops t'handle damn near anythin' we kicked over but ya nearly had a private audience wit th' Raven Queen last night?! An' what the slaggin' hells WAS this beast I heard about!" He barely noticed the Elf entering as he rubbed his face, tangling his fingers into his beard and tugging at it briefly. "What th' frakkin' hells happened while I was off 'recooperatin''..." he muttered under his breath, the Dwarf an open book right now for all to see.


Character Sheet
 
__________________
I am never without protection. Forever am I armed with razor wit and a sharp mind. - Anonymous
The RNG gods favor those that roleplay well. - Something I say very often

Last edited by Tyeal; 11-16-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-16-2018, 01:47 AM
Vislands's Avatar
Vislands Vislands is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-19-2019
RPXP: 2537
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Posts: 1,545
Synthia! Synthia!

Sorrel's eyes flew open at the sound of a terrified voice calling out that name. The voice sounded sharp, visceral...real, but as the reality of the cell around her settled in it faded into the memory of a dream. She looked down and found herself holding Silvana, the other tiefling on the squad. What... Her neck was also in the woman's hands, which turned her minds from somewhat mused wonderings to more urgent concern.

Untangling herself deftly, the weaver tried to recall the events of the night before. Her mind was drawing a blank, at least beyond when she went to sleep. She groaned and rubbed her neck. There was a bit of a crick there. It'd been a long time since she spent the night behind bars, though as far as accommodation went this ranked the highest. No boiling wax was being thrown at her here.

She ran the memory of the day before through her mind, wincing when she recalls her bungling things in the slums. She would answer for that this morning. Operating in the light added a challenge to an already challenging mission. But she'd learned her lesson and would prove herself as an investigator and an agent of beauty.

Lady Sorrel stands and enjoys a small moment of peace and gratitude. She says a small prayer to Correllon in elvish, asking for the Archeart's guidance and the grace of beauty.

"'qliis" And her armor changes form, deepening from gray to back as the collar opens and the sleeves extend. It loosens around her wrists and ankles, while it tightens around the thighs. The material around her torso takes on a hardened appearance, like stiff leather and molds to her contours like a corset. A more severe look, surely, but the authorities enjoyed it when you appeared to take them seriously.

+++++

The Seamtress sits across from the man interrogating her with airy, but apologetic energy. Her long legs are crossed and her gloves hands lay daintily on her lap.

She beings to explain herself, "Any and all magic I employed in the slums was simply to determine whether information was being withheld from me. Magic was far from my first tactic, I spoke with many of the inhabitants of that neighborhood with little avail. They're a close-knit community and whatever they're hiding or know, they've decided to keep to themselves."

"I am unused to my actions being reflective of anyone else other than myself." She smiles, then bows her head. "Still, I understand that what may have occurred was an indiscretion and
Dice Persuasion - I'm good, promise!:
1d20+10 (14)+10 Total = 24
I apologize. Perhaps I went to far, but seeing what happened at the school and..."
The tiefling turns her head and
Dice Performance - :cry::
1d20+7 (13)+7 Total = 20
seems to be overcome by some emotion.




OOC
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-16-2018, 05:46 AM
Jim Faindel's Avatar
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel is online now
I encourage peace
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-19-2019
RPXP: 4094
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Posts: 1,983
Chapter 2 – Unkind Kindling07:35 am, on the 14th of Quen’pillar
left-aligned image

As people started gathering around the admittedly small room at the back of the offices, conversation flowed excitedly about the events from the day prior. For whatever reason, several people had stopped to buy some bread to share at the table on their way to GDI, and the sweet smell of freshly baked food flooded the senses quite pleasantly, especially given the variety of beverages that Salt had taken upon himself to serve, which ended up accompanying the improvised breakfast in a splendid fashion. Eventually Lavia had calmed down enough to read out loud the second page of the diary, allowing for everyone to find out what she had been yelling about.

 


Other than that, only a small side-column on page 12 by one -H. Marlowe mentioned an incident involving a group of elves and tieflings bringing down a dangerous beast terrorizing the lower slums, with a couple accounts from the goblin residents and a strong condemnation to the Emon Police Department for its inaction during the event, but without mentioning anyone’s names, much less their EPIR numbers. After the surprise from the news washed over those still breaking their fast, the sharing of what had actually happened resumed among them, all the while those who’d received letters at least managed to glance at the names on the outside of the envelopes.

Elrohir’s first letter was formally addressed to his company by one Lady Odette G., while the second was unnamed, yet branded with the sinister sign of the Clasp. Similarly sinister, if for different reasons, was the black envelope sent to Andrea with the symbol of the Raven Queen. Luckily for her the dark letter also contained the signature of her friend, Master Fregar, who seemingly had recovered enough to get in contact after surviving the attack. On the other hand, Zhon’s first letter came with the symbol of the Everlight stamped, and while there was no name attached, the paper held a fragrance he was all too familiar with. His second message was formally signed by someone called José Scut’zia, same as the one addressed to the absent Ashelle. The third and last one, however, was only inscribed with two letters: M. H.

It was at that moment that the discrete and usually reserved Eliza, one of Elrohir’s employees, approached his boss with something on her hands, saying ”Boss, you asked me to sketch the man from yesterday’s recordings, but the image from the scrying was too small and the steam around him didn’t help any. I had to work with the diviner after you left, and together with her help and the bones you gathered, I was able to complete a sketch of the perp, though it still isn’t as accurate as I’d like. Hope it is useful to you none the less. The boy seemed really young, barely in his twenties, and with rather feminine factions, though most of his face looked like a giant purple bruise.”

 


__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Ashelle made her way from the slums into the tall walls of the city, much to the annoyance of her sister, who insisted she should stay and rest, but ultimately resigned before the detective’s tenacity and sent her on her merry way after putting a heavy, yet stylish scarf around her bruised neck. Lady Sorrel could have been able to tell it was nothing but a cheap replica, but to the uneducated eye Asp’s garment looked like a beautiful Vasselheim garment, long and wide enough to cover any trace of damaged skin.

In the end she hadn’t been able to find her keys, but luckily enough no other possession seemed to have gone missing during the night, though upon closer inspection she realized the soles of her boot were coated with dry crimson blood she didn’t remember stepping on either, which evoked once more her impossible nightmare.

Once there, she was told that her two tiefling companions were still undergoing their respective processes, so she decided to pay Sergeant Arpeggio a visit, only to find her absent. Much to her surprise, one of her assistants sprung from his sit as soon as she had started wondering where the old tiefling went, and before she knew it a picture of what had happened the previous night began forming in her mind. “Officer… I mean, detective Orome, glad to see you this early! The sergeant asked me to tell you she got there just in time. Honestly, had you not come when you did and warned her of the situation, those three officers might have been goners! They’re still recovering at the Platinum Dragon’s temple, and we did lose all their dogs, but still, Ms. Arpeggio’s look was extremely relieved when the priests said they’d all live. I am still amazed those boys managed to hold the line for so long until reinforcements arrived, but in the end they managed to bring down a dozen cultists and save those kids; they even snagged a couple of the bastards alive! Right now we’ve got our hands full inspecting the mansion they had seized for their rituals and contacting the families of the abducted children, but I am sure that those three can fill you in better about what happened if you pay them a visit later today, think visiting hours start at noon.”

The boy was talkative indeed, but that was just what Ash needed to puzzle together what had happened to McLaren and the others. It seemed like Lady Sorrel’s little diversion and their visit to the Albrecht house spared them from a deadly encounter, but she still couldn’t help feeling guilty for letting the officers deal with such a dangerous situation on their own. To hear that the Sergeant was so glad they were safe despite her dogs dying was also a surprise; could it be the old woman actually cared for her men after all? That’d be something else to ask at the temple when she found the time.


For the time being she decided to focus on retrieving her companions, both of which took little time completing their procedures at that point. In the end Lady Sorrel had managed to win over her interrogator, who exited the zone of truth area mumbling something about the Seeker skipping proper procedure and basic training. Her fine had been reduced to 100 gold pieces, and she could walk away free, though she’d have to take the same disciplinary courses as Silvana, and she had been forbidden from entering the southern slums till things settled with the residents. A small price to pay really, especially when imprisonment by the Arcana Pansophical could have been an option.

When the two of them finally found Silvana, the woman looked positively radiant for someone that had just spent the night on a cell. Before leaving the facilities, she had retrieved her belongings, including the sketches she had managed to draw of both the now destroyed mural and the drow mage she had pursued across the market. While the first one seemed somewhat rushed and even crude, the second one was surprisingly detailed, which was impressive given the state in which they had found the gunslinger the previous night.
 


 
__________________
If I could be an expert in just one arcane
and madness inducing field of study,
it would be you.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-16-2018, 01:17 PM
anamiac's Avatar
anamiac anamiac is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-19-2019
RPXP: 3579
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
Posts: 5,194

Ash tries to get some more specifics out of the assistant before leaving. "How injured are the officers?" "Where are the captured cultists being held?" "Is the mansion you referred to the summer home of one Lord Albrecht?"

She didn't know what to think. She was aghast to learn that the officers had been hurt, the dogs killed. The fact that they'd taken cultists prisoners and saved the children elated her. It was too much information, and it took her a bit to process it all. As she heads back to the prison she thinks back on her actions. In hindsight, sending three policemen to the south clearly hadn't been the best decision. She had thought the bigger danger would be north! She had been trying to take the greater danger upon herself. She'd originally meant to send Lady Sorrel south, before the whole arrest fiasco. In many ways, Sorrel had restricted her options. But she probably would have sent Sorrel and one officer south, while taking two officers north with her. That could have been even worse. She should have taken Lady Sorrel south to help out when they were done with the Albrect's. But she hadn't known the officers were in trouble, and they had agreed to meet up at the prison. No. What she should have done was keep her entire force intact and headed south first, then north. She wasn't sure if that would have been possible after Lady Sorrel's actions, but she could have at least tried.

She had some time to wait for the others, so she finished her notes the previous day's events. Lady Sorrel managed to emerge from her reprimand largely intact, and Silvana emerged beaming. Ash raises an eyebrow. "Nice to see you two." She rips a page out of her notebook and it's written in elvish.hands it to Silvana. "Something has come up, and I need to make a trip to the Temple district. Convey my apologies to the others and tell them to start without me. This is my summary of yesterday's events. Elrohir or Kytaran can read it. Oh, and do either of you know a place around here I could buy some pastries?"

Ash visits the nearest pastry shop and buys two boxes of cream filled danishes. Then she heads to the Platinum Dragon’s temple.

 

__________________
We are men of action, lies do not become us.
Westley - The Princess Bride

Last edited by anamiac; 11-19-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB