RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 08-07-2019, 05:29 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 679
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
So far I'm looking at either a tricky illusionist type character...but that one might be a little tricky, since I'd be interested in some 'caution sign' power mods that might not pass muster...or a much more 'mainstream' flying energy projector who can manipulate 'force effects.' Force fields, blasts that strike with kinetic force, telekinesis, and so on.

I'm thinking this kid's family was killed during the invasion, and she went into the foster care system. Winds up having problems in it...not the least of which because of her powers...and decides to go it on her own. She's high Presence and good 'interaction' skills, so she's charming her way through life at the moment. She's been in scrapes with the local druglords, and they'd love to bag the neighborhood defender. She's kept her true identity secret though...for now.

In terms of party role/balance, she's got a decent combination of Blasts (a high power blast and a lower power one that doesn't take END to use) and nonlethal powers (Telekinesis can grab folks, and Barrier can trap them in force fields). She can fly, but not super fast (25m), and her personal force field can stop a fair amount of damage...on the high side of the recommended. But she's inexperienced in combat, with a bit less combat values than recommended and no combat related skills/talents.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:23 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7378
Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroFan View Post
Awesome! If you want to start working on a character without a copy of the rules I'm glad to help! I uploaded some free reference sheets to the folder that I linked in the first post of this thread.

Hmm I should maybe mention that there is a book called Champions Complete that has everything to play Champions sixth edition, while the actual Sixth Edition rules for Hero System come in two books totalling about seven hundred pages, and is actually out of print but available in PDF format. I personally love the full ruleset, but it's not necessary for playing champions and this game specifically.
Thanks. Now for a concept!
Old 08-07-2019, 06:44 PM
I NEVER, EVER OVERREACT!!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5151
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
Heyya... Just wondered if there's going to be more emphasis on 'teen' or 'hero' in the game? Like, is it going to be teen drama with superpowers added in, or superhero action with a teenage overlay? Sorry if I can't express myself better, hopefully it makes sense.

*Unless the mount is also a class feature.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:24 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 282
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
Quote:
I will note, however, that the other dimension is a Fantasy Hero world that I have prepared and intend to run someday on the site, so that would be fun to see from the other side.
I would certainly be up for Fantasy Hero.

I'd like to consider this idea of Teen Champions. I'll mull around a concept and post something, but it might take me a bit.

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old 08-08-2019, 04:14 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Teen Champions 6e 300 Points Total; 250 + 50 Complications; Max 50 active points per characteristic; Max 90 active points per power. No 'stop sign' or 'caution sign' powers. Required to take 3 levels of Striking Appearance. All teen supers are extraordinarily physically appealing individuals.
I'd like a clarification on this. I can work with 50 AP per Characteristic, but 90 AP per power is WAY OUT THERE. Are you saying you are OK with an 18D6 Energy Blast? That is in (and perhaps above) the Cosmic power range, not low powered teens. Your help will be appreciated. =)

Old 08-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1197
HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
I had a notion for a faerie of some kind, but that's fine...I have many ideas and most of them are human beings. Just testing the boundaries.

As for the multipower thing: "No 'stop sign' or 'caution sign' powers."

Multipowers are 'caution' signs.

In fact, there's a lot of stuff that fits into that category that I may need to pester you about at some point. Avoiding ALL caution signs means avoiding most of the tools that really let you customize powers and stuff, it seems like.

But multipowers being okay helps a lot. Thanks for the clarification on that!
Ah, I see. Yeah, I am looking around for a comprehensive list of what is caution and what is no go or stop; so please do ask, as for now, I have to look it up one at a time. I will probably end up looking at caution stuff on a case by case basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenspirit View Post
Slider - WIP
right-aligned image
Name: Jennifer Lawson

Hero Name: Slider

Sex: F

Physical Description:

Powerset Description:

Background:

Love the image! I didn't see any text yet, but love the image!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komaru View Post
I am thinking of a character named Dynamo, who generates electricity. Lightning being the most blatant manifestation (probably some sort of multi-power for different versions of lightning attacks). Apart from being pretty resistant to lightning damage herself (I was thinking of an absorption too, but that's a caution power), and a permanent (Always on) damage shield that discourages her from casual use of sensitive electronics, her other abilities would be built around the concept that she generates electricity, so some things (like being bulletproof) may not fit that naturally into the concept - unless that's just a given for all these first-generation heroes.

Do you have some guidelines on combat value, defense, and attack damage class ranges we should target? Looking at 6e, for 300 pt ('Low powered superheroic') characters, they list a range of 6-11 for combat values, 12-15 for defenses (with 6-10 of that being resistant), and 6-12 for attack damage class. Is that what we should be considering the normal range for starting characters? If so, then I'd target the low side for defenses for her (maybe 6 resistant at most, and another 6 non-resistant), but closer to the mid/high side for her lightning damage class and combat values.

I am thinking of increased speed (6e suggests 3-8 for this power range, so perhaps a 6), extra-running, reflexes (Dex and/or Lightning Reflexes and combat values), and intelligence, based on her body's accelerated electronic impulses. But, not to the extent that she's a speedster. I am tempted to pump up int a lot, take some Int skills, (NOT computer programming), and make her a bit of a thinker.

However, all these pipe dreams are dependent on having the points, which in turn depends on what sort of 'standard' ranges I should be targeting for her basic combat ranges (hence that question I asked). The higher the ranges we should be targeting, the more I'll have to narrow the focus of the character.
Technically in the case of teen champions, they tend to represent being new to things with activation rolls on powers and such, but since nobody including me tends to enjoy play with powers on activation rolls, I'm not enforcing that, still, if you want to simulate being new to your powers go for it. As to the low powered superheroic ranges, those are guidelines sure, but I'm not enforcing it either. And buying up a characteristic to get high skill rolls is okay with me; I am just not allowing any kind of gadgeteering or inventing that would logically have a huge impact on the world. For example, no coming up with a cure for cancer or inventing cold fusion no matter how high you buy your Int and or Science skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
So far I'm looking at either a tricky illusionist type character...but that one might be a little tricky, since I'd be interested in some 'caution sign' power mods that might not pass muster...or a much more 'mainstream' flying energy projector who can manipulate 'force effects.' Force fields, blasts that strike with kinetic force, telekinesis, and so on.

I'm thinking this kid's family was killed during the invasion, and she went into the foster care system. Winds up having problems in it...not the least of which because of her powers...and decides to go it on her own. She's high Presence and good 'interaction' skills, so she's charming her way through life at the moment. She's been in scrapes with the local druglords, and they'd love to bag the neighborhood defender. She's kept her true identity secret though...for now.

In terms of party role/balance, she's got a decent combination of Blasts (a high power blast and a lower power one that doesn't take END to use) and nonlethal powers (Telekinesis can grab folks, and Barrier can trap them in force fields). She can fly, but not super fast (25m), and her personal force field can stop a fair amount of damage...on the high side of the recommended. But she's inexperienced in combat, with a bit less combat values than recommended and no combat related skills/talents.
The concept sounds great and go ahead and ask me if there are specific caution powers that you need to make the concept work. I might say no, but I might not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
Thanks. Now for a concept!
Hooray! Looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravenimages View Post
Heyya... Just wondered if there's going to be more emphasis on 'teen' or 'hero' in the game? Like, is it going to be teen drama with superpowers added in, or superhero action with a teenage overlay? Sorry if I can't express myself better, hopefully it makes sense.
That will vary by the player depending on whether they are more into the teen angst and such or more into having superpowers and such! I am fine with a mixture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKinister View Post
I would certainly be up for Fantasy Hero.

I'd like to consider this idea of Teen Champions. I'll mull around a concept and post something, but it might take me a bit.
That is fine! And if I can get this game up and running and it seems like I could handle another game too, I am definitely eager to run the Fantasy Hero game with the possibility of crossovers! I think genre mashing is a lot of fun!
Old 08-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade
Tracked down Champions Complete so I'm going to browse it and see get a batter grasp of the basics and what concept jumps out at me. I might grab the full rules set at a later point if necessary.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:51 PM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10120
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
@Herofan - Was working on the text when you posted.
There's the idea, so now I just gotta plug/create it in Champions. The idea is she can only do one thing at a time pretty much, and is very agile and athletic.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 08-08-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
A couple of things I was interested in with Caution signs:

- Indirect. The photokineticist can create laser beams...but they can come from any origin point within range of her powers. This is important because one of her 'schticks' is to use an illusory 'stand in' to fight, and this lets her make the illusion appear to originate the attacks. She has a weak Telekinesis to further cement this illusion.

- Usable On Others. Specifically, a Visual Shapechange effect that can be used as an attack on an unwilling target. This mod has a Stop sign, but I think that's mostly for the dangers of applying specific, very powerful effects. I'm hoping this particular usage of the modifier would be ok.

- Dismissable. Not sure why this is Caution, but it is. Basically the force projector concept can create Barriers, and I want to be able to make them disappear without having to blast through them.

- Mobile. Similarly, for the Barriers.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:43 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 68
Komaru
Dynamo first draft

Dynamo working 1st draft, so you have an idea where I'm headed.

[Stats: 120 pts]
Str 10
6 Dex 13
Con 10
8 Int 18
Ego 10
Pre 10
15 OCV 6
15 DCV 6
OMCV 3
9 DMCV 6
30 Speed 5
2 PD 4
5 ED 7
8 REC 12
6 END 50
6 BODY 16
10 STUN 40

[Skills perks talent: 34 pts]
9 Striking Appearance
6 Combat Luck
3 Lightning Reflexes

3 Electronics
3 Deduction
3 Science Skill: Electro-magnetism
3 Charm
3 Persuasion
1 TF cars

[Powers: 117 points]
55 Lightning M/P Pool: 55 active.
5 [ultra] 11d6 blast = 55
3 [ultra] 7d6 blast dmg shield (+1/4), reduced end (+1/4) = 52; no range (-1/2)=35

17 Running (accelerated electrical impulses) +12m, x2 NCM (+5)
2 Swimming +4m (ditto)

20 Electro-location [Like a 'pinging' Spatial Awareness: Detect Physical Objects (10), targeting, active, fully penetrative - not through magnetic shielding (conductive metal mesh/walls), may not distinguish multiple objects of similar capacitance/conductivity, detectable by magnetic field instruments (or just the presence of static on devices using RF)]. 30 active. Requires Concentration (1/2 DCV) and imposes -3 on PER rolls to initiate (-1/4). Extra time (segment) to initiate (-1/4).

10 Energy Damage Negation, 4 DC's, lightning only (-1)

5 Mental Defense 5 pts (Over-clocked brain harder to affect)

Complications:
Physical Limitation, 5 points: Sensitive electronics (computers, smart phones, etc) tend to bug-out when she's using them, due to residual magnetism or static electricity effects. Primarily a non-combat hindrance (Infrequent, Barely).

Distinctive Features, 5 pts: Strikingly beautiful super-powered teenager (ref 3 levels of Striking Appearance, plus wearing the uniform that they put us super teens in, plus the aura of electrical power that flares up from time to time: sparks from fingertips, a glow in the eyes, surges of magnetic interference). Concealable without too much effort.

Social Complication: Subject to orders (if we're drafted), and/or perhaps public ID or secret ID - much depends on the campaign set-up.

Psyche Lim X: Feeling this out still, so may require some messaging and background development.

Psyche Lim Y: Because one Psyche Lim just isn't enough for a teenage girl.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:05 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 155
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
I think all I need is a little fine tuning and then I can start polishing my character's details out. Let me know what the upper end of the SPD limit will be for a speedster. His speed and all of his special abilities are in a power reserve, so it will be interesting seeing the effect of him speeding up and slowing down time. Hopefully, he will be able to acquire a melee weapon at some point to help fighting anything stronger than normal people.
1 Peter 1:13-16
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Here's an idea:

Name: Michael Albright

Codename: Striker

Powerset: Spatial/Temporal Dimensional Shifts, allowing for extraordinary reaction times due to temporal distortions, as well as matter and location manipulation due to spatial distortions.

Background: Mike A. was a bit of a rebel. Never was a part of the "in" crowd at school, and he didn't fit in with the rest of "weirdos" and "geeks", or what ever people call them nowadays. But he was alright. He loved being a bit anonymous, a bit of a "hacker". He wasn't world class, but he could do a bit, assuming he had some time to prepare. His parents were generally absent, but they had money, so he never lacked anything. They thought he was going through a phase, wearing black and staying at home with his computer, or wandering the mall until late at night, or looking up YouTube videos on everything from making pipe bombs to taking an ATM apart. Heck, all the default passwords were online and ready for the taking anyway, so he never really lacked money. He enjoyed being a bit of a thief. But he knew the risks. "Never take so much it gives you away", he would repeat to himself.

He had a friend or two. Not many kids his age were into the things he loved. Then again, he wasn't your typical teenager either. It could be argued that his considerable talents and intelligence could have been better used for something more productive, but there just wasn't the right people in his life to guide him to something better. Until that happened, he would have to rely on his own intuition and his street smarts.

Then something weird happened. He woke up one day and his entire world was spinning. No, not spinning, it was moving at strange angles and speeds. He didn't know what happened, only that something went through his room at night, charred half of his possessions and turned the other half to chalk. And he himself had been changed. He lost all bodily hair, head, eyebrows, body hair, private parts. It was weird. He had to start wearing hoodies to school to hide his face, or people would start asking questions. He was relieved when it all started to grow back slowly. And then, another strangest thing was that he would know things. Things that would happen just an instant before they did. He discovered that he could do things... with his mind. He could move fast, he could move slow, he could make himself "step sideways", and people wouldn't notice him, even if they were standing right before him. Like they weren't there. It's like he had some sort of strange sensory super-awareness. And then the "jumping". He sneezed once and found himself outside on a street half a mile away from home. It took some time to figure out what had happened, but it only took him two days to make it happen at will. And so on it went, discovering his newfound physical abilities.

The news were full of stories of others who were also unusual. Super strong, super fast, able to fly. He learned that he, too, could fly, if he focused his ability to distort space on himself, but it wasn't very fast. The ability he liked the most was being able to jump across a distance, maybe half a mile at a time. He could cross all of Manhattan in a few moments.

But it then dawned on him that maybe this might have been something too good to be true. The news talked about government agents wanting to speak to anyone who had these abilities. He had seen too many movies about G-Men to know they were not be trusted. He would avoid them if he could. In his mind, they were going to capture him, put him on a metal slab of a table, poke and prod him, do experiments, then cut him apart to see what made him tick. He was not going to give them that chance. Never.

And that strange column of fire in the middle of the city. It had been there for as long as he could remember. The grown-ups never really liked to talk about it much, but reports online and in news casts were going about the "invaders returning one day" and "needing to be prepared for the next phase". He felt it was weird, and people went about their own business anyway.

With his newfound abilities he learned to travel about the state without worrying about money or fares. But what he loved most was jumping to the top of the tallest buildings and pulling a "brooding batman" pose. He was surprised one day as we walked by a store front to see his profile captured on an amateur camera, a cell phone. After that, he made sure to keep his face hidden, and started wearing a mask. Who knew how many people were going to come after him, try to find him, try to talk to him, now that he was out in the open. It was both a bit frightening, but also a bit exciting. He would try to make it a chase. Let them come close enough, then he wold disappear to another building, leaving them guessing. What a way to make an exit.

But all that changed when he walked by an alley as a pimp was beating one of his girls. He never really liked bullies because he remembered the ones at school. But he knew now what he was capable of. In a manner of five seconds he picked the ugly mug shot of a man up and hurled him against the wall. He must have broken several ribs and gotten a major concussion because he was lights-out right there and then. The girl screamed and ran. So much for the "you're my hero" kiss. Might as well. She wasn't really his type.

That moment changed his world. Up to now he had used his abilities to help himself. But now he understood that he could use them to help others. Suddenly the whole "with great power comes great responsibility" made sense. He wasn't sure exactly what he was going to do, but he knew he had a few choices to make.

Things were never going to be the same again.

Striker HDC

Last edited by MrKinister; 08-08-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Application
Code name: Kaiju

Name: Valerie 'Val' Emerson

Appearance: Val stands a few inches shy of six feet and has a lean, muscular build that does not diminish her statuesque beauty. Her hair has a wave to it and normally hangs to mid-back and her eyes are reminiscent of a raptors. it is there color that draws people's attention. Except for the irises, which are black, both her hair and eyes, including the what world normally be white, is the color of the green flame that is located where the World Trade Center once existed. Val has tried coloring her hair and wearing contacts but unless the contacts completely cover the visible part of her eyes then the green can be seen. her hair always seems to change back to green within a day.

It is her other form, nicknamed her Kaiju form by the scientists, that gives her extended family nightmares since she changed into it by accident for the first time at a family reunion. Thick scales cover her between chitinous plates and long spikes and claws adorn her. Green fire seems to burn within her and can be seen through her eyes and various places on her body. She normally stands under seven feet but she can grow bigger, much bigger. Luckily, no camera or video device seem to be able to capture her image. The Kaiju form also seems able to adapt to a small degree depending on the environment.

Last edited by Nightshade; 08-13-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:10 AM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3479
Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael
Sounds interesting! Have access to the book but never played.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I have a question for clarification on Multipower.

It states that no power in the Multipower can have an Active Cost greater than the point reserve of the Multipower. So, for example, this would be a valid Multipower:

Multipower (40), 40p
- Blast (8d6), 4p

However, if the cost of the Blast is modified, things get weirder. Active Points in a power are not reduced by Limitations. So you might have a 45 point Blast that has a -1/2 limit of some kind on it. This power, despite being limited, still takes a 45 point Multipower pool, and costs 4points for a fixed slot in that pool. The limit may as well not even exist.

Is that accurate? Or am I getting confused by the 'active point' vs 'real point' rules?