RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 08-10-2019, 11:51 AM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 282
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
Thank you, GM. I feel pleasantly surprised at that. =)

I also wanted to give an idea of how the numbers work in combat.

Let us assume we are using the following (very common) campaign definitions. These are fitting for a normal powered super-hero game.

- Damage Classes: Low: 7-8, Normal: 9-10, High: 11-12
- Active Points Max: 65
- Combat Values: Normal: 6-8, High: 9-11
- Defenses: Low: 14-17, Medium: 18-22, High: 23-28
- Skills: Normal: 12-14 or less, High: 15-16 or less
- Speeds: Normal: 4 to 6, High: 7 to 9

So, we'll put that tank of yours into a game like this.

A few other considerations: Using your Strength at full power will cost 4 END per use. This usually means hitting someone at full power, or any other useful thing like lifting a tank, or breaking down a wall. The actual cost is 1 END per 10 STR, and it is rounded off to your favor. So 45 STR = 4.5 END = 4 END final.

Also, Recovery restores its value to both END and STUN once per Turn. Something to keep in mind.

At a speed of 4, you get to act 4 times per turn. If you use your STR everytime at full, you will spend 16 END per turn. At the end of each turn you get END back from the Post-Segment 12 Recovery. Everyone gets that. So, with the present REC of 9, you are spending 16 - 9 = 7 END per turn. With 50 END, this will take you a long way, about 7 Turns. No worries here, since no combat will ever last that long. Most are over within the first or second turn since so much damage is being flung about.

Now, the actual damage soaking situation.

Let us imagine your tank is facing off with Mr. Average, doing 10D6 of damage (average for campaign) with his "lazer beam". On the average, this attack will do 35 Stun and 10 Body. Pretty standard attack. Your tank applies his defenses: 2 normal Energy Defense (since they are at default value) + 20 Resistant Energy Defense from his powers. The total damage taken is then:

STUN: 35 - 22 = 13. This total is substracted from his STUN characteristic. At the present value, after a hit like this, the tank is at 17 STUN.

BODY: 10 - 22 = 0. No body taken. He's too tough. He shrugs it off. ( FYI: There is more detail here in the relationship between Normal Defenses and Resistant Defenses, but they apply only to Killing Attacks so I am ignoring them right now.)

Notice though that another hit like that will put him at 4 STUN, and a third hit will put him in the negatives, rendering him unconscious.

Also something to consider is the fact that this was a purely average hit. The attack may hit harder, or lighter, by pure chance. But considering that this is 10 dice, it will deviate relatively little from the "average" bell curve zone.

In addition, let's say he's taken two hits (he managed to avoid the third one), but at 4 STUN, he's teetering, close to being knocked out. His recovery will give him back 9 STN and 9 END once per turn. So, after his Post-Segment 12 Recovery, he'll be at 4 + 9 = 13 STUN. Again, another hit will probably knock him out.

So, I hope this gives a good example of how the numbers pan out.

This example is not ideal, because as teen heroes, our abilities are relatively lower than average heroes. This is why it is important to define the campaign limits well, so we know what to expect and what reasonable stat and power numbers are for our characters.

Also very important to consider is relative speeds. Consider that your tank has a speed of 4. This means he will act four times in a turn. If he is facing off against a character with a speed of 6, they will act six times per turn. That's six possible attacks before the Post-Segment 12 Recovery. The advantage of higher speed is evident when you consider the number of actions available to you in a turn. For comparison, a normal human being has a speed of 2. With a speed of four, this tank is in the "action movie hero" range, moving preternaturally fast at twice normal speed. With a speed of 6, this is "super hero movie" range, with a number of actions so fast that they can blur and you can miss them if you blink. Speedsters go higher, of course.

But something to remember: the more actions you have (the higher your speed), the more END per segment you are burning. So, usually this means faster characters don't endure as long, or their attacks are naturally lower powered. There is a balance to this.

In a low-powered game like this (300 points is considered low power for Champions 6E), I would imagine that attacks would be in the 6-10 Damage Class range, and defenses in the 14-22 range, or something like that. It depends on the GM's campaign definitions. It is important to have those well defined when the game starts.

Anywho... hope this helps. Just a bunch of ideas off the top of my head. =)

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old 08-10-2019, 12:02 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 604
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
There are other defenses of course. Kitsune, for example, lowballs her defenses...she's quite vulnerable if hit.

That's mitigated (hopefully) by the fact that she can easily use Invisibility or Shapechange to try to avoid notice, and her main attack doesn't have to emanate from her real location. These things, plus her ability to confound the battlefield with illusions, will hopefully mean she doesn't get targeted/hit very often.

But up against a foe that can see through her tricks, she will be in real trouble. And that's intentional on my part.

I see her as a very young, not 'complete' superhero. She has some learning to do.

That said, Mr Kinister, I wouldn't say no if you felt like giving her build a look and seeing what you think. I don't want her to be a total pushover if it can be helped.

Last edited by SalmonMax; 08-10-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:09 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Oh, yeah, one more detail I forgot that is important as well: Constitution and its relationship to STUN damage.

If a character ever takes more Stun damage than their CON value, they are considered "Stunned". This means any active powers turn off at the end of the segment, and they are at 0 OCV, 0 DCV until they recover from being Stunned. The character cannot take any action other than automatically recovering from being Stunned on their next segment, which they have to spend in full only for the purpose of recovering.

In the example above, 13 Stun damage is perilously close to his 15 CON. A lucky hit, which rolls just slightly above average, will stun the tank, leaving him open to easy attacks since his DCV is now 0, a possibly challenging situation. For a tank, that CON needs to be high. I imagine he ought to be able to take major hits and smile. =)

Old 08-10-2019, 12:33 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
There are other defenses of course. Kitsune, for example, lowballs her defenses...she's quite vulnerable if hit.

That's mitigated (hopefully) by the fact that she can easily use Invisibility or Shapechange to try to avoid notice, and her main attack doesn't have to emanate from her real location. These things, plus her ability to confound the battlefield with illusions, will hopefully mean she doesn't get targeted/hit very often.

But up against a foe that can see through her tricks, she will be in real trouble. And that's intentional on my part.

I see her as a very young, not 'complete' superhero. She has some learning to do.

That said, Mr Kinister, I wouldn't say no if you felt like giving her build a look and seeing what you think. I don't want her to be a total pushover if it can be helped.
Sure... Let's see... a few short comments. =)

This definitely looks like a "stealth" character. CON is default, defenses are low, but she has Invisibility, and at Zero END!. Looks like she's good at "thieving", based on her skills. Invisibility will have to be her most used asset, along with the illusions, because if she gets targeted, she'll be knocked out in possibly one hit. This is not a character that can stand toe to toe for turns with an active physical villain. Stealth, guile, and subterfuge are going to be her bread and butter. The presence of Invisibility and Illusions makes for a good combination. Possibly very effective. But it is a bit risky if someone can see through it, or has an area attack that cover a large part of the terrain. Against normals this is very effective.

She also doesn't hit hard, but when she hits, she hits to kill with that 2D6 KA. That might be dangerous, depending on the tone of the game. If killing is condoned in the game, this is alright, but if she accidentally kills someone, that's Murder 2. Up to the GM campaign tone, of course. (There is a trope in Super Hero stories that says "we are better than the villains, we take the high road, we are not murderers".) Something to consider. =)

Otherwise this is a good character that will need a very special type of finesse: staying at the edges of the battle and not getting spotted. I think it will be fun watching her in action. =)

Last edited by MrKinister; 08-10-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:35 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah, I was a bit concerned about the killing attack too. It's just hard for me to frame a laser beam as something less destructive.

That might be a problem with my imagination though; the rules certainly don't preclude it.

I did throw a Flash in to give her some options...and TK of course, though that's too weak to be useful against supers.

Hmm.

I do have another build for a wholly different powerset. A flying 'blaster' with force manipulation. Barrier, TK, Blast...good defenses. Much more straightforward and 'superheroey.' I submitted Kitsune because she has abilities i haven't seen anyone put forward yet though. She'd be good in situations where others might not have many options.

But if those situations don't come up, she might not be a good fit for the game.

Last edited by SalmonMax; 08-10-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:54 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hey,

I certainly don't want to rain on this character. I think if you take the KA and turn it into an Energy Blast, you could do just as well, specially since the attack is Armor Piercing. Half defenses against this attack is a nice bonus that will sting every time it hits. And since this is a teen game (low powered), I am going to imagine our antagonists would not be much stronger that ourselves, on the average (major villains excepted). So that turns the attack into "the little beam that could... kick butt".

One final note: you may want to invest in some Combat Skill levels (did I miss them?) OCV 5 may make hitting targets (specially at range) very challenging. You may miss more often than hit.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:14 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Nope, you didn't miss.

The reality is that I was super-cramped for points with Kitsune. I had to settle for getting a few things at sub-par levels to get everything I wanted at some level.

I was hoping being invisible/attacking from unexpected directions would help mitigate the somewhat low OCV.

Getting more combat viability is definitely high on the list of priorities. She may need a tough battle or two to afford it.

A normal energy blast of the same AP would be 6d6...which against 1/2 defense I suppose isn't too bad...

Food for thought.

Thanks, Mr Kinister. I didn't feel like you were raining on the character. I was just evaluating what you pointed out.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:04 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ok. I suppose my words sounded harsh in my own ears. That's for me to figure out. =)

Here's the character concept I offered to our GM. I am not sure if it will be approved, but I like what he's capable of.

Hey GM: I've made a few fixes here. Please consider this write-up correct.

So this guy is fast and shifty. His defenses are decent, but part of them is reliant on him being able to supernaturally notice an attack before it hits and react fast enough to avoid it. Will happen most of the time with a 14 or less, but there is a chance of missing.

He can be very aggressive if he puts his mind to it, hitting astoundingly hard in melee. His combat values are above normal, since I see him as a capable combatant, and he can shift into a defensive of offensive stance, depending on how he sets his levels. His martial arts represent his dimension-altered speed and reaction, along with his ability to see a split second into the future, effectively allowing him to see what his opponents will be doing next.

His greatest asset is his ability to "jump" (teleport), which gets him out of, and frequently into, trouble. He can shift of out this dimension to remain hidden, but he's never fully outside of it (invisibility), and finally he can use his spatial shifts to manipulate objects with remarkable mass (although he can't control it very well - TK with no fine manipulation).

His biggest weakness is that he has a "normal" mode and an "active" mode. This requires he activate his powers, which takes a bit of time. And since he doesn't want others to know who he is, he often has to pull a "superman change in a phone booth" and find some place he can transform without others seeing him. He's completely normal if he's not "active", although he's in excellent physical shape.

Code:
Striker

VAL     CHA     Cost    Roll        Notes
10/20   STR      0      11- / 13-   HTH Damage 2d6/4d6  END [0]
10/18   DEX      0      11- / 13-
10/18   CON      0      11- / 13-
13      INT      3      12-         PER Roll 12-
10      EGO      0      11-
13      PRE      3      12-         PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6
5/8     OCV     10
5/8     DCV     10
3       OMCV     0
3       DMCV     0
2/5     SPD      0                 Phases:  6, 12/3, 5, 8, 10, 12
6/12    PD       4                 6/20 PD (0/8 rPD)
6/12    ED       4                 6/20 ED (0/8 rED)
6/14    REC      2
20/50   END      0
10      BODY     0
20/40   STUN     0

Movement        Cost    Meters     Notes
RUNNING         2       14m/28m    END [1]
SWIMMING        0       4m/8m      END [1]
LEAPING         0       4m         4m forward, 2m upward
FLIGHT                  12m/24m

Characteristics Total: 38

Cost    Powers
        Spatial/Temporal Enhancements, all slots Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
14      +10 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (20 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)
13      +8 DEX (16 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4) 
 6      +8 CON (8 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4) 
12      +3 OCV (15 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4) 
12      +3 DCV (15 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4) 
24      +3 SPD (30 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4) 
 5      +6 PD (6 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4) 
 5      +6 ED (6 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 6      +8 REC (8 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 5      +30 END (6 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)
 8      +20 STUN (10 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)

40      Spatial/Temporal Manipulation: Multipower, 60-point reserve,  (60 Active Points); all slots Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4)
2f      - Short Range Spatial Rift: Teleportation 24m, Position Shift (29 Active Points); no Noncombat movement (-1/4), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=3
2v      - Spatial Motion Control: Flight 12m, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (18 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4)
3f      - Long Range Spatial Rift: Teleportation 15m, No Relative Velocity, x2 Increased Mass, x64 Noncombat (55 Active Points); Limited Power No Combat Movement (-1/4), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=5
2f      - Dimensional Overlap Field: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4)
3f      - Spatial Control: Telekinesis (40 STR) (60 Active Points); Limited Power Max Range 10m (-1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=6
1f      - Temporal Imperception Field: Invisibility to Sight and Hearing Groups  (25 Active Points); Only When Not Attacking (-1/2), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=2

16      Temporal Prescience Evasion: Resistant Protection (8 PD/8 ED) (24 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4), Requires A Roll (14- roll; -1/4)
 4      Instant Change: Cosmetic Transform 1d6 (standard effect: 3 points), Improved Results Group (From costume into any set of clothes and back; +1/4), 
        Trigger (Changing clothing is a Zero Phase Action, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +3/4) (6 Active Points); Limited Target ([Limited];
        Only clothes currently worn; -1/2) - END=1

Powers Total: 179

Cost    Martial Arts
5       Defensive Strike:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, 2d6 / 4d6 Strike
4       Fast Strike:       1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, 4d6 / 6d6 Strike
5       Offensive Strike:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 6d6 / 8d6 Strike
4       Martial Dodge:     1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4       Shove:             1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 25 STR  / 35 STR to Shove

Martial Arts Total: 22

Cost    Skills
3       Acrobatics 11- (13-)
3       Breakfall 11- (13-)
3       Charm 12-
3       Computer Programming 12-
3       Conversation 12-
3       Cryptography 12-
3       Electronics 12-
3       Lockpicking 11- (13-)
3       Security Systems 12-
3       Sleight Of Hand 11- (13-)

3       KS: Martial Arts Styles of the World 12-
3       KS: Literature 12-
3       KS: Technology 12-

12      +4 with Martial Arts Attacks

Skills Total: 51

Cost    Talents
9       +3/+3d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)

Talents Total: 9

Value   Complications
 5      Distinctive Features:  Preternaturaly Handsome (Easily Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15      Social Complication:  Secret Identity Frequently, Major
15      Psychological Complication: Code Against Killins (Common, Strong)
15      Hunted:  State and Corporate Agencies Infrequently (As Pow; NCI; Capture and Study/Clone)

Complications Points: 50

Base Points: 300
Experience: 5
Experience Unspent: 2
Total Character Cost: 303

Last edited by MrKinister; 08-12-2019 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Edited to include Instant Change
Old 08-10-2019, 02:12 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hey GM: I'll be using those points for the "Instant Change" (4 points) ability. I'll save one point for later. =)

Old 08-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
How does Unified Power work?

I read the entry in the book, but it's not sinking in exactly what it does.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:58 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
It has a simple meaning: when adjustment powers take points from one of the group of Unified powers, all Unified powers take the same damage. It is risky, but it means that all your powers have a common source, and if you tap into that source, all the powers experience the same effect.

For example, if someone drains his Short Range Teleportation by 10 points, all other powers in the Multipower, including the pool, also lose 10 points.

Last edited by MrKinister; 08-10-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:03 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hmm, interesting.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2019, 04:08 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Sure.

Now, this actually has to be approved. If it is not, I will have to lower power levels to account for the points this character will need.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:33 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 467
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
The OP says that the first supers were only seen recently. Does this mean that nobody had powers until then? Or just that the public didn't know about the supers in their midst?
Old 08-11-2019, 12:09 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7378
Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiya View Post
The OP says that the first supers were only seen recently. Does this mean that nobody had powers until then? Or just that the public didn't know about the supers in their midst?
I'm taking it to be the latter. I figure my character was born within a year of the WTC disappearance but her wings began growing around age 12. Recruited and trained when she was young.