RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 08-19-2019, 11:45 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1872
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Legacy’s Wake

Game NameLegacy’s Wake
GameSystemDnD 5e
ThemeFantasy adventure, heroic quests, political intrigue, mysterious and sinister plots
FlavourVery “rags to riches” in terms of power and influence, combat, survival
Intro

It’s 2 in the afternoon and at least half the city is still in bed. You stand in the middle of a sagging rope bridge so long that the platforms it ties off to are well over your head. Below you the rigging flapping in the wind matches rhythm perfectly with crews singing seven-harmony sea chanties, and above you the familiar sound of commerce offers a pleasing counterpoint. You wipe the sleep from your eyes, run your thumb along the edge of your blade and hope to the gods that you make enough money today that you won’t be forced to choose between your only weapon and a bed for the night. Not that you’ll be doing much sleeping...
Setting
Welcome to Skyfall

Skyfall is an immense port city where anything is for sale and everyone is bought. It is a place where money and power exist in great quantities, but few of its citizens have much of either. Here intrigue and deception are commonplace; the only honest man is the one who admits he is lying to you. In this city of hundreds of thousands of individuals, anonymity is the rule, but for a hefty price, any citizens’ whereabouts can be established, his movements traced. To remain invisible, and thus inculpable, the powerful employ agents or manipulate unsuspecting lackeys to accomplish their goals. If they play the game right, no one will ever know of their involvement. On a good day, a working stiff can hope to go unnoticed. More often than not in taking a job he finds himself to be someone’s dupe, held responsible by powerful people for plans he hardly knew existed. Earning a living in Skyfall means navigating carefully between opposing guilds, trying to please one without earning the ire of another. It’s a hell of a balancing act, but fortunately the inhabitants of Skyfall were born for the catwalks.

Every person hoping to live in Skyfall must prove themselves and join a guild to become an official citizen, lest they be cast out like jetsam upon the waves. So you find yourself throwing your lot in with The Twelve, Skyfall’s prestigious thieves’ guild.
Game Summary

You will begin as pennymen of The Twelve, the lowest rank and least experienced the thieves’ guild has to offer. Your first assignment? A job no one else wanted, traveling far afield on a seemingly tedious mission of minimal importance, comfort, and pay. However, things are not always what they seem…

With your skills, luck, and wits, you will gain power and influence in Skyfall as this chaotic city throws everything it can at you.
Details
  • Allowed Sources: All Published WOtC resources. (UA content will be on a case-by-case basis)

• Attribute Scores: 27 point-buy

• Alignments: All but CE, but preferably no Lawful alignments either. I’m not terribly concerned with people “playing their alignments” (People change, happens all the time.) Generally just keep in mind that you’ll be playing as criminals who have to work together to survive while helping to keep a city safe, so flexibility is going to be key.

• Gear: Class starting equipment and background gold, or you can roll for gold based on your class.

• Characters begin at level 1. Leveling will be by milestone, with characters finishing the game around level 14-17 depending on player choices.

• Post rate will be, at minimum, 1 per week, DM-posts will go based on party's post-rate.

• I will be accepting 5 players.
Character ApplicationName:
Race:
Class:
Background:
Alignment:
Appearance: Please provide a picture and at least a short paragraph.
Traits/Bonds/Ideals/Flaw: This one’s optional, though people who take the time to pick these out with the intent of sticking to them in character will probably get priority.
Personality:
Reason for coming to Skyfall: Give me a brief backstory and what brought you here. Are you here in search of fortune and glory? Are you on the run from the law? What was your crime, or perhaps maybe you were framed? Or maybe you just wanted to see if the stories of the massive crystal sticking out of the earth were true... regardless, everyone’s got a reason for coming to the dog-eat-dog city of Skyfall.

May entertain applications for characters born and raised in the city. PM me for more world info if you want to go that route. More leaning toward newcomers, but a strong concept could sway me.
About the DM

Game Info Thread

Deadline for Applications: September 20‬

I have taken the Oath!

Last edited by Touketsu; 08-25-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:46 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Applications
PlayerCharacterRaceClassStatus
SpaxterCelaranHigh ElfRogueComplete
WildJessiRavenHalf-ElfRogueComplete
Lyserg Bandolia---Placeholder
AlemarLucean FairbreezeWood ElfFighterComplete
tomplumRobert MilliganTieflingSorcererComplete
ChiefDisbeliefBreaking GlassKenkuFighterComplete
theclaytsterRaeomourHumanWizard (Illusionist)Complete
delpinatorNorenEladrinDruidWIP
toothToothHalflingRogueComplete
BerithMasi ColamHuman (V)Cleric (Tempest) Complete
chubbyninja29LeofricHuman (V)MonkComplete
theenglishslugCam PennyvainHuman (V)MonkComplete
Jim FaindelDa'av FraRock GnomeCleric (Forge)Complete
Hiruma KohakuAlric CrowHuman (V)Revised RangerComplete
DragerEaston SpionWarforgedWarlockComplete
TiesKnotsTies KnotsGoblinRevised Ranger (Gloomstalker)Complete
GrouchyWillemLightfoot HalflingCleric (Trickery)Complete
anamiacOran RoquenWood ElfFighterComplete
TwoOldJosin SwellriderLightfoot HalflingBard (Glamour)Complete
MorathorReinHalf-ElfMonkComplete
Treble83RhogarBlue DragonbornBarbarianComplete
HoutokuVisago LackmanTiefling (Dispater)Warlock (Fiend)Complete
cookieyummyTinu "Two" Lo'wilyaProtector AasimarWarlock (Great Old One)Complete
platypusllamasTilli MorwigForest GnomeDruidComplete
Auron3991Morcant BelvinsHuman (V)FighterComplete
routzongMalgus StoutaleHill DwarfMonk (Way of Tranquility)Complete
SadralCainHigh ElfRogueComplete
RetryGaryn the Hoarse AxeHobgoblinFighterComplete
DesteploDevin MillerHuman (V)Rogue (Inquisitive)Complete
Reliq0770Cecilia IskurAasimarDruidComplete

Questions and Answers
Q&A

I have taken the Oath!

Last edited by Touketsu; Today at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:23 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Spaxter
Name: Celaran
Race: High Elf/Star Elf
Class: Rogue
Backstory: “Emmisary” for Her Majesty the Queen of Air and Darkness
Alignment: LN (read the note on alignments, hear me out)
Appearance: Almost 6 feet tall with the slender & fit build typical of elves. Pale blonde hair with purple eyes.
Background: Far Traveler
Personality Trait: Friendly & courteous demeanor, alien & cold at heart.
Bonds: I hold no greater cause than my service to my people.
Ideals: Like true Fey, will never break his word once given. Also like true Fey, will bend the hell out of the terms of fulfilling his vows.
Flaw: Respects no laws or customs save those of the Fey.
Personality: Watches the antics of the mortals in this realm with amusement and a bit of condescension. Doesn't take anything serious unless it involves his duties to his Queen.
Reason for coming to Skyfall: A native of the Feywild, he is serving the Guild as repayment for a favor owed by Queen Mab to a senior Guild member. Has no morals as humans understand them, other than the bizarre Fey compulsion to keep his word once given. Consequently he's very cautious about giving his word, and merciless to those who break their own.
To his great surprise, he finds himself enjoying his time in the Prime Material Plane while he waits for his service to be over.

Last edited by Spaxter; 08-30-2019 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Application Complete.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:32 AM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4347
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Whoa! A game that plans to go all the way from 1st to 17th level? Having been involved in so many games that've collapsed before, this sounds both ambitious and absolutely amazing!

Color me very interested.

"I He looked to the Kender for wisdom. If there was one thing she was good for, it was pearls of wisdom. Wisdom buried beneath twelve hours of stories about obscure relatives."
-Imveros
Old 08-20-2019, 02:08 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 880
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
Name: Raven
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Rogue
Backstory: She had a decent childhood until her parents killed during an orc attack when she was ten, she was taken in by a couple who owned a tavern. Working hard 75% of the time, she didn't get much play time as she had to serve, clean and work in the kitchen. As she entered her late teens, she was given over to the tavern owner's brother who owned a brothel, where she was forced to work as a working girl.
Alignment: NG
Appearance: An very attractive petite lady at 5'2 tall, lithe form, she has long dark hair with green eyes. Skintight black leather pants and knee high boots with a bodice corset top, covered by her black leather armor. A bow and a sword at her hip. He long hair covers her ears, which passes her as a human.
right-aligned image

Background: Prostitute
Personality Trait: Enjoy what you can while you can.
Ideals: Necessity: Everyone's got to eat somehow.
Bonds: This is just a temporary means to better my place in the world.
Flaw: I reach for whatever substance I can to keep from feeling how I truly feel.
Personality: She's the quiet type until she gets to know you. Friendly towards others, but knows her place. When around nobles, she feels intimated and will stand in the background. Not having many friends, she keeps who she can and is loyal to them.
Reason for coming to Skyfall: Jarret, the owner of the brothel had to go to Skyfall for business and he took Raven with him for company, along with two guards. During a huge card game, Jarret lost big time, the winner was a man named Pirot, he was a trainer for "The Twelve", the city’s prestigious Thieves Guild. Jarret had gambled high and lost everything and had the choice of losing a hand or the girl. So Raven was given over to Pirot. He was told that Raven was pick pocketing a few customers, so he brought the girl to the guild for proper training, making her a true thief.

Last edited by WildJessi; 08-20-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:10 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1148
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
Since they're considered optional, are feats being used? And if so, are variant humans allowed?

Last edited by Auron3991; 08-20-2019 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:34 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron3991 View Post
Since they're considered optional, are feats being used? And if so, are variant humans allowed?
Yes to both.

I have taken the Oath!
Old 08-20-2019, 07:27 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 180
Lyserg Bandolia Lyserg Bandolia
Placeholder, definitely interested!
Old 08-20-2019, 12:21 PM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4222
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
I get a very Gentleman Bastards (Lies of Locke Lamora, etc) vibe from this. Yay or nay?
Old 08-20-2019, 12:31 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasrith View Post
I get a very Gentleman Bastards (Lies of Locke Lamora, etc) vibe from this. Yay or nay?
Admittedly I’m unfamiliar with Gentleman Bastards, though from the little I read just now, I wouldn’t call them dissimilar; at least in some ways. The important thing to keep in mind about the thieves’ guild of Skyfall is that it’s wholly sanctioned by the city as sort of a method of keeping balance between the guilds. Petty thievery is certainly present, but The Twelve are in a position of responsibility as well. Likewise, as your group makes a name for itself, you will find more of the city looking to you as important citizens instead of crooks.

I have taken the Oath!
Old 08-20-2019, 12:37 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics

I have taken the Oath!
Old 08-20-2019, 01:04 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 427
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
left-aligned image

Name: Lucean (Lucy) Fairbreeze
Race: Wood Elf
Class: Fighter
Alignment: CN

Background: Undesirable (Custom Folk Hero)
Traits (Folk Hero): Thinking is for others...I prefer action. I have a strong sense of fair play, and will always try to find equitable solutions
Bonds (Criminal):Something important was taken from me, I aim to get it back
Ideal (Entertainer): The World is in need of new ideas, and bold actions
Flaw (Folk Hero): I am convinced of my destiny, and blind to my shortcomings

Appearance: Brown curls fall to the she-elf's shoulders, and intelligent brown eyes peer out from behind her high cheekbones. A thin, dirty, dress clings to her lithe frame, accentuating her skin, and leaving just enough for the imagination to drive one's desires.

Personality: Onlookers would call Lucy "cheery" for an elf, but this is just because she has found this perception makes people more at ease around her, whether they should be or not. She enjoys joviality, and jokes, however she can hold on to slights for days before getting over them, if she even does; a long life lending itself to long memory.

Reason for coming to Skyfall: Let the Sky fall, when it crumbles, we will stand tall, and face it all together.

Lucean has come to Skyfall out of an augmented sense of curiosity. She has almost reached adulthood, a time when she is expected to settle down into a community and take up the mantle of responsibility. She craves new experiences, new sights, and cities. Longing for the chance to live an interesting life before it is expected of her to return and sprout roots like all the other her own derogatory term for the uninteresting adults of her villageold trees back home. She doesn't know whether or not to trust the stories of the fabled city..and has decided to see it all first hand. She has found herself within the employ of the twelve out of pure chance, though she does see it as an opportunity to give her the desires of her mind.

Last edited by Alemar; 08-20-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:02 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2308
nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles
I have a few questions about the world before I propose anything.

Does this take place in a version of an established setting with Skyfall dropped in or 100% homebrew setting?

Do you have names/short descriptions/vibes for the Twelve?

I presume we are a single unit/team and aspiring to one particular Guild. Which guild do we aspire to? Is that our choice or predetermined by you?

I figured we had to be a unit, o/w this could lead to 5 solo campaigns as we all join different Guilds. Way too much work. if that's a wrong presumption, lemme know.

I was contemplating making a monk. I have a particular multiclass combo in mind. Do you have established monk orders/places to train in your world or would I just make it up?
Old 08-20-2019, 03:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7895
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Robert Milligan, a.k.a. "Soulless"

Race: Tiefling

Class: Sorcerer

Background: Folk Hero

Alignment: NE / NG

Appearance: Beady black eyes. Most people don't get past that despite the fact that he has two horns that gently curve toward the back of his head and a head of long red hair with a red beard. Standing almost six feet tall, Robert wears a green cloak with a black undershirt, dark pants and leather boots. He carries his crossbow at his hip with his two daggers stored in sheathes at his chest. He walks with what could be considered a cautious gait as if he expects to be knocked over at any minute. He has not fully acclimated to his new 'self'.

Personality Traits:
I expect danger around every corner.
I am incredibly slow to trust. Those who seem the fairest often have the most to hide.

Ideal:
Sincerity. There's no good in pretending to be something I'm not.

Bond:
There’s evil in me, I can feel it. It must never be set free.

Flaw:
I am suspicious of strangers and expect the worst of them.

Personality: Robert is torn between his naturally good nature and the evil that festers within him. Whispers of misdeeds and wrongdoing cloud his conscience and decision making daily. His ordeal in his village after his transformation has left him mistrustful of strangers and jumpy, expecting an angry mob ready to stone him to death around every corner. He is jumpy, distrusts everyone, and seems to think that everything he touches will surely be doomed to failure.

Reason for coming to Skyfall: In a small village far from Skyfall, a noble had made a pact with a demon. Power and wealth in exchange for perpetrating the demon's aims. Robert Milligan was just a boy then. Knew how to use a crossbow and was handy with a dagger. A wizard had come to town, a diviner, who claimed that he had seen the evil emanating from the noble's manse and was recruiting a party to put an end to it. Seeing this as a way to escape his mundane life, Robert volunteered to join the group. They were not prepared for what they found and Robert was no adventurer. He watched as the others fought not only the crazed noble but also the demon who he had summoned. Throughout the battle, Robert was unable to set a bolt to his crossbow his hands were shaking so badly. When the dust had settled, all were dead or dying including the demon who eyed Robert and cursed him with its final breath. Horrible pain wracked Robert's body. His lower back screamed in agony as his tail bone elongated into an actual tail and his skull cracked and heaved as two horns jutted out of his head. The world went a dark red as his eyes lost all color and faded to pools of crimson so shadowy black they looked like an endless void of nothingness.

Emerging from the mansion and returning to town, he found himself not the hero he had hoped for but a reviled and feared monster. Fleeing out of both shame and rage, Robert wandered the countryside ever toward Skyfall, the one place he thought he may be tolerated. Along the way, he learned that the demon had not only cursed his physical appearance but gifted him abilities. He could manipulate fire, changing its shape, color and size, even causing it to manifest out of nothing.

With no one to turn to nor anyone to rely on in Skyfall, Robert fell in with the Twelve, the thieves' guild where they nicknamed him 'Soulless' after his dark and empty eyes. They could have uses with someone of his...abilities.

Last edited by tomplum; 08-22-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 880
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
My app is done. The game looks interesting to play.