RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 08-25-2019, 11:36 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1872
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Quick update: I was trying to keep my sources a little streamlined, but I’ve gotten a fair number of applications requests coming in as exceptions. Seeing some great ideas, so I’m opening up allowed sources to all published 5e material. Go nuts!

Last edited by Touketsu; 08-25-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:12 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4094
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Think lil' Da'av is all set to go
Let's see if he ultimately makes the cut!

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 08-25-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:36 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Wow; only a week in and I have some great applications already! Really enjoying the turnout so far, and I’m looking forward to seeing more to come!

This selection is going to be difficult, ha ha...
Old 08-26-2019, 01:17 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3542
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
Oran
right-aligned image

Name:Oran Roquen
Race: Wood Elf
Class: Fighter
Background: Outlander
Alignment: Neutral
Appearance: A skilled observer can tell much about a man by the cut of his jib. Oran's shoulders are broad and muscled as is rarely seen in one so young - apart from those individuals who have trained their body up to be able to draw successively stronger longbows. Sure enough, he's carrying a massive longbow, a complex composite of lemonwood, purpleheart and hickory. His hands have callouses on the thumb and the corner of the palm consistent with long hours swinging a sword - and lo and behold, he's carrying two of them, short curved things designed mainly for slashing, one newer than the other but both featuring the same design motifs on their sheaths. His face and arms display the telltale faint lines of injuries healed by magic before they could properly scar. These are not the scars of the common soldier, left lying on on a cot for weeks to either recover from his wounds or rot and die. These scars bespeak wealth, for they're most often seen on the bodies of wealthy adventurers, nobles, generals or other individuals with ready or privileged access to healers. He wears no beard and while his hair is unadorned, it's also clean and straight. There is no dirt under his fingernails, and if there is any dirt on his equipment it doesn't stay there long. He smells like dirt and sweat, but the diligent sniffer can also detect the fainter scents of soap and shaving cream about his person.

His armor is a darker brown, stamped with silvery lines that form delicate curved patterns. The light brown cloak is soft with age, trimmed with silver thread, and contains recent patches sewn into the underside of the hood and shoulders. All of these tell one story about a location and culture - his boots tell another. They're new and well made, but their common black finish stands at odds with the dull browns of his other raiment.
Traits/Bonds/Ideals/Flaw:
Personality Trait: I have a strong code of honor and sense of propriety that others don't comprehend.
Ideal: Honor. Only the honorable can serve the tribe.
Bond: My tribe is the most important thing in my life, even when I am far from them.
Flaw: I am secretly convinced of the superiority of my own culture over that of this foreign land.

Personality: If Oran has a problem with you, you don't have to worry about being the last to know. It's his belief that subtlety is best employed when one travels through tall undergrowth, and should be left out of important conversations altogether. Coming from a different culture he has weird ideas about what is honorable and what is not, and he takes his honor very seriously. All this combined with his impulse to take charge of the situation can frustrate those around him. On the other hand, you can scarcely ask for a better ally. Oran won't leave you when the fight goes sour. He doesn't grumble when the rain soaks through the tent. And he will absolutely perforate that orc who claimed he was going to drink from your skull.

Reason for coming to Skyfall:
Oran is from Elven: Bearwatch forestBrógtir Glad, an secluded region in northwest Which is an elven nation on another continentSumunland consisting of four forested valleys. The valleys are home to over a dozen warring tribes which are collectively know as the Brógtir. Isolationists, the Brógtir will kill or ransom any non-elf they find in their territory. Despite its reputation as a cultural backwater the region is known to export finely crafted woodwork - intricately carved wands, staves, shields and amulets, some of which are empowered before ever leaving Brógtir Glad.

What drove him to leave his lands and became an adventurer is anyone's guess. But Oran isn't traveling alone. Accompanying him is an intelligent young woman named Elspeth - a high elf with coppery hair, that he calls his Elvish: SpeakerPenedh. Their exact relationship is unclear, but she's no adventurer. She's been staying at a room in town and renting books from the library while he goes out and finds employment killing monsters or whatever adventuring is to be had.

Last edited by anamiac; 08-26-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6691
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
Masi is finished, I think. Comments & questions are welcome.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:26 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 242
TwoOld TwoOld TwoOld
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Josin Swellrider
Race: Halfling - Lightfoot
Class: Bard (Glamour)
Background: Guild Merchant
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Appearance: Almost 3 and a half feet tall, hair starting to grey at the temples. Wide smile, but hard eyes. Not dressed as garishly as one would normally expect from a bard.
Traits: I always want to know how things work and what makes people tick.
I'm a snob who looks down on those who can't appreciate fine art.
Bond: I will get revenge on the evil forces that destroyed my place of business and ruined my family.
Ideals (Revenge): My talents were given to me so that I could use them to benefit the world--after I avenge my family.
Flaw: I'm quick to assume that someone is trying to cheat me.
Personality: Superficially gregarious, but wildly distrustful, especially of humans. Tends to impatience.

Reason for coming to Skyfall I come from a wealthy merchant family of spice traders. My father was charged with the theft of another merchant's goods, and hanged himself before he could be arrested. Upon his death, previously unknown creditors appeared and produced letters claiming astronomical debts. The families ships were seized and I and my sister were sent off to separate workhouses. My natural proficiency with music was put to use entertaining the workhouse master, Godwin Bimble, and his family. It was there that I discovered that I could, sub-consciously at first, weave small magics and subtle Persuasions, with musical instruments and my voice as conduits. Though my services to the house were never enough to pay down the growing debt of my upkeep, I was at least able to divert the master's ire and licentious gaze—often, if not always.

After more than three decades of servitude, I one day found a letter from an unknown agent enquiring after my status, with a reminder that nothing must be done to arouse my suspicions. That evening Master Bimble was in his cups and I, seized by either a madness or divine inspiration, wove a song that charmed him to such a degree that he told me all he knew. It wasn't much, only that the person responsible for my family's ruin was an unnamed noble from a city called Skyfall, and a member of The Twelve. I left him in the same state I had found my father so many years earlier; in his study, hanging by a rope around his neck.

Armed with Bimble's token of membership in The Twelve's thieving guild and a plan, I took a few instruments and a small amount of gold and made my way far to the North, to Skyfall.

Last edited by TwoOld; 08-26-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:15 PM
ArtistErrant

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9139
Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor
@Touketsu: If my character is going by an alias, should I use that or their real name at the top of the application? Or is there a way I should work in both?
Old 08-28-2019, 07:08 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morathor View Post
@Touketsu: If my character is going by an alias, should I use that or their real name at the top of the application? Or is there a way I should work in both?
Go ahead and include both
Old 08-28-2019, 10:50 PM
ArtistErrant

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9139
Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor
left-aligned image

Name: Khazim Kittan, alias "Rein"
Race: Half-elf
Class: Monk
Background: Criminal
Alignment: Then turn selfishness into a weapon! Make all things yours! Make other lives and dreams and hopes yours! Protect them! Save them! Bring them into the sheepfold! Walk the gale for them! Keep away the wolf! My dreams! My brother! My family! My land! My world! How dare you try to take these things, because they are mine! I have a duty!Lawful Neutral
Appearance: Rein is a lean, athletic man of slightly below average height. He has tan skin and a mess of thick, shaggy black hair, which reaches nearly to his shoulders and covers his pointed ears. Still, between his build, his delicate features, and his golden eyes, it's not terribly hard to guess at his elven heritage even without seeing his ears. He typically wears snug black trousers and a white overcoat--unbuttoned, with no shirt beneath it. His shoes are soft, well-worn leather, originally dark brown but beginning to fade and crack. Rein has a red dragon tattooed on his chest.
Traits: I think very highly of myself, and am not afraid to let anyone know it.
Bonds: The Twelve is a vital organization, and I will serve and better it by offering it my skills and, when it's ready, my leadership.
Ideals: The strong protect the weak and the weak obey the strong; that's the natural order, and I won't tolerate trash who shirk their role in it.
Flaw: I hold myself to very high standards and am very hard on myself when I fail; one mistake can quickly cascade into a downward spiral
Personality: Rein is outgoing and cheerful, and a bit of a flirt. He has a laid-back attitude born from confidence; obstacles in his path don't tend to get him down, as he is certain he can overcome them. He is quick to grow attached to people, often over the smallest details. Once he's decided he likes someone, he is fiercely loyal to them, but his friendship can be uncomfortably possessive. This is perhaps reflective of his skewed moral compass; he is fairly dismissive of most conventional notions of right and wrong, and remarkably blase on subjects like theft and murder. Instead his understanding of ethics centers around personal bonds, and particularly the proper dynamic between a leader and their underlings. In his own relationships, Rein almost always assumes that leadership falls to him.
Reason for coming to Skyfall: Khazim Kittan was born in Skyfall, the son of a mid-level enforcer for the Twelve. Although his father did not mind the life he had, he didn't want it for his children, and did his best to keep them on the straight and narrow--primarily by beating them whenever they put so much as a toe out of line. This was fairly effective for keeping Khazim's brother and sister in line, but Khazim's resentment outweighed his fear. He decided to not only join the Twelve, but to rise to the very top.

When Khazim was fifteen, his father finally accepted that his parenting didn't seem to be getting through to the boy. So he sent the boy half-way across the continent to a monastery, to learn discipline. Whether Khazim ever learned that is debateable, but he most certainly learned an array of skills that would be useful to the Twelve. After six years, he ran away from the monastery and made his way back to Skyfall, joining the Twelve as a pennyman under the alias "Rein," as he wasn't ready for his father to find out he was back in town.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:02 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 507
Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku
What are your thoughts on mixing and matching Background bits (Traits/Ideals/Bonds/Flaws/etc), versus locking into the "groupings" as written?
Current Games: Broken Isles
Old 08-30-2019, 04:20 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houtoku View Post
What are your thoughts on mixing and matching Background bits (Traits/Ideals/Bonds/Flaws/etc), versus locking into the "groupings" as written?
I think restricting background traits and aspects into the preset groups they’re written into is very limiting. Every character is different, so feel free to draw traits, ideals, etc. from any of the lists, or even to write your own.

Regarding the more mechanical side of backgrounds (skills, languages, tool proficiencies, etc.), I wholly endorse the option to create your own background. It’s a option written right into the rules, so as long as you follow the guidelines to keep it fair, I won’t block you for having a customized background. If anything, it demonstrates that you want to be more creative.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:02 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 880
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
Good to hear. The premade ones are nice, but everyone is different. I bought a book called "The Big Book of Backgrounds" by P.B. Publishing for 5e. They had a lot of backgrounds.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:38 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6224
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Hugh Redhand:
right-aligned image

Name: Str 16
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 10
Wis 10
Cha 8
Hugh Redhand
Race: Human Tavern Brawler feat(Variant)
Class: Barbarian
Background: Criminal (Enforcer)
Traits:
-I blow up at the slightest insult.
-The best way to get me to do something is to tell me that I can't do it.
Bonds:
-Greed. I will do whatever it takes to become wealthy. (Evil)
-Freedom. Chains are meant to be broken, as are those who would forge them. (Chaotic)
Ideals:
-Something important was taken from me, while I can't get it back, I aim to pay it back in full.
Flaw:
- If there’s a plan, I’ll forget it. If I don’t forget it, I’ll ignore it.

Appearance:
Hugh is a giant of a man, standing at over six and half feet tall and he weighs a fair bit too and he isn't afraid to throw that weight around. He usually has a dark look in his eye and something of an evil grin pulling at his horribly scarred face. The scars that mar his face are brutal and messy, likely from a loose knife in the heat of a scuffle. His teeth are in good shape for someone who brawls as often as he does and considering he has a reputation for fighting 'Tooth' and nail. He maintains a light five O' clock shadow and a shaved head. His right ear is torn two ways, leaving the tip missing and a 'T' shaped scar cutting towards the ear canal from someone who finally bit him back. His nose has a lump at the bridge and sits slightly skewed from being broken more than enough times. He often wears a simple, sleeveless cotton tunic to show off his sizable biceps and thick trousers, a torque around his thick neck and a belt adorned with a couple daggers and a coiled bullwhip. His calf-high leather boots are the most well-maintained and fanciest part of his wardrobe and he claims they cost a fortune, adorned with inlaid gold filigree along the trim and a celtic knotwork pattern branded into the body of each boot.

Personality:
Hugh is a bully, through and through. To everyone except his friends, he is pushy and loud, often insulting and offensive even. He has a repulsive air about him more often than not. He can be mean, spiteful and argumentative at times, often to try to incite a physical brawl. He'll often loose his cool over the smallest things, even possible, half-brewed insults or someone trying to dirty up his fine boots. What people rarely see is his loyal side through the mean outer facade. When he makes friends or gets payed to work for someone on a more personal level, he never backs down or fails to defend those 'friends' through financial gain or otherwise. The side of Hugh that absolutely no one sees is his soft spot for animals, usually mice.

Hugh used to live in the small village of Watercrest, just a few miles from Skyfall. Grew up there, in fact to a blacksmith and his wife. He had little patience for the forge and often times spent his nights at the tavern drinking, fighting and carousing long into the wee morning hours. In a town where everyone knows everyone, it's easy to make the wrong kinds of friends and repel everyone else when you act they way Hugh does.

He fell in with a group of roustabouts and together they painted the village countless times until they decided they were big fish in a little pond and it was time to move on. What they hadn't planned on was an even bigger fish coming along and putting them through the ringer. A small gang-like task force of men from Skyfall came to 'do business' in Watercrest and ran afoul of Hugh and his friends. After a long, drawn out tavern brawl, Hugh was the last standing on his side of the fight and it wasn't hard for them to make off with whatever they wanted, namely, the lives of Hugh's mates.

Too bad for them, Hugh knew where they were going and he had had his fill of this small village. Hearing stories of Skyfall made his blood sing and he knew he would fit right in or tear a hole for himself, if not. He was going to track down these bigger fish and see that they pay for what they did to him and his friends. In time, his reputation embroiled him with the Twelve and he was hungry to ascend through the ranks, to say the least.

Last edited by Arthilian01; 08-30-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:40 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6224
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Application complete, Touketsu, Hope you enjoy the read. It's a little simpler than my usual applications but that's okay.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:09 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 696
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
APPLICATION COMPLETE

Character Application
right-aligned image

Name: Rhogar
Race: Blue Dragonborn
Class: Barbarian
Background: Sailor
Appearance: Rhogar stands just over 6 feet tall. His dark blue scales are accented by his grey belly scales, grey horns, and grey spikes that grow naturally from his forearms.
Trait: To me, a tavern brawl is a nice way to get to know a new city.
Bond: People. I'm committed to my crewmates, not to ideals. (Neutral)
Ideal: People. I'm loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care. (Neutral)
Flaw: Once I start drinking, it's hard for me to stop.
Personality: Rhogar is slow to make friends but fiercely loyal to those that he would call friend. Usually, the big Dragonborn walks around pissed off at the world. That is, unless he's had a few drinks. That's when he becomes the life of the party... unless of course he feels insulted.
Rhogar and his shipmates were excited to hit the taverns in Skyfall. Their ship had come to port their, delivering a shipment of spices.. or fabrics? He was never really sure what was in those crates. His job was to help load and unload crates, clean the ship, help push oars when necessary and whatever else Captain Alma told him to do. Unfortunately, Rhogar got a bit too excited at this particular stop and had gotten more lost in his drinks than he had ever done before. Maybe that's why it was so easy for Smitty to convince him that the Dwarf had called him a tailless mongrel...

A few angry words were exchanged, which escalated to threats, which escalated to the dragonborn crushing the Dwarf's thick skull with is Warhammer. Thankfully, aside from the now dead dwarf, the only one in the bar that did not belong to his crew was the bartender. Surprisingly, the bartender did not flinch at this show of extreme violence. Instead, the Tiefling just grinned and asked "Whom do you answer to?" Before Rhogar could respond, Captain Alma spoke up "He is mine... I take responsibility and I accept whatever punishment he must face." Rhogar did not object, even in his drunk state, he knew that he owed his life to the Captain. If being put to death or put in prison would shield her from his crimes than he would gladly accept either (although he would prefer death). Still grinning, the Tiefling turned his attention to the Captain. "I represent a collective of...Thieves Guildlikeminded individuals in this city. We could use someone with this Dragonborn's talent. I propose that he dedicate himself to our guild until his debt is repaid. In return, this crime will not be reported and you will be given 50 gold for the inconvenience of losing a crewmember." Without feeling that she had much choice in the matter, Captain Alma agreed and gave a heartfelt goodbye to Rhogar. "Be strong young one... and for the Gods' sake, be smart!"

Last edited by Treble83; 09-16-2019 at 10:39 PM.