RPXP: 457
Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku
Visago Lackman
right-aligned image

Name: Visago Lackman
Race: Tiefling (Subrace: Dispater) [MTOFp21]
Class: Warlock (Fiend)
Background: Hermit
Traits: I am incredibly slow to trust. Those who seem the fairest often have the most to hide.
Ideal: Meddling in the affairs of others only causes trouble.
Bond: I entered seclusion to hide from the ones who might still be hunting me. I must someday confront them.
Flaw: I harbor dark, bloodthirsty thoughts that my isolation and meditation failed to quell.
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Appearance: Visago stands about 5'10", fairly lithe from years in the wilderness. His skin is a deep blue-black, with his hair a dark, almost reflective black. His eyes are a yellowish green. His horns slope backwards through his hair, typically covered with a hood.

Personality:
Visago is hard, the result of years of abuse by those who raised him not as a person, but as a weapon. While he can maintain a facade of poise, bordering on charming, that quickly breaks down when he is angered or annoyed.

Reason for ending up in Skyfall:
As a young woman, Visago's mother got in with a group of "revolutionaries", ostensibly aimed at toppling what they viewed as an "oppressive, self-serving" local government. Only later did she learn that this group was a front for a group dedicated to the worship of Dispater, Archdevil Ruler of Dis and Lord of Secrets. Wanted, and having nowhere else to go, she went along with the Cult for years, eventually becoming a true believer. Being young and beautiful, she was chosen as the "sacrifice" for a summoning ritual. The Cult summoned a Lesser Devil, but mistaking it for a being of power, she offered herself to the creature. Months later, Visago was the result, with his mother having died in childbirth. Fel magic was literally in his blood, allowing him the use of powerful magic, but also filling him with a rage and bloodlust that burned in his veins. He was kept and raised by the Cult in order to "smite [their] enemies, in the name of our Master."

After years of use and abuse at the hands of the Cult, eventually Visago had had enough. Though barely an adult, he slaughtered his way out of the Enclave and fled into the wilderness. Living off the land for several years, he tried to keep a low profile to prevent the Cult from finding him again. Additionally, he'd hoped his seclusion would diminish his innate bloodlust. Eventually though, they caught up with him. He once again had fight his way through Cultists bent on capturing him and binding him back in their service.

Instead of fleeing further into the wilderness, Visago migrated to the city of Skyfall, hoping to blend in with the populace there in order to hide from the Cult's agents.

I think that should be everything, please let me know if you feel anything is lacking or if you have any notes on it. Thanks.
Current Games: Broken Isles

Last edited by Houtoku; 09-02-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:39 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1017
cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Tinu "Two" Lo'wilya
Race: Protector Aasimar
Class: Warlock (Great Old One/Caiphon)
Background: Acolyte
Alignment: CN

Personalitiy Traits:
- I'm always picking things up, absently fiddling with them, and sometimes accidentally breaking them.
- I always want to know how things work and what makes people tick.

Ideals:
Independence. I am a free spirit--no one tells me what to do. (Chaotic)

Bonds:
I have a family, but I have no idea where they are. One day, I hope to find them.
I will do everything to keep Caiphon close to me.

Flaws:
I love little knick-knacks and will spend any money I make on them, even if I need it for other things.

Appearance: Looking at Two it becomes aparent pretty quickly that she is not completly human. The first thing most notice about her are her deep violet eyes which sometimes even appear to pulse with violet light for a second, especially when she's very emotional or uses some of her newfound powers. Usually she tries to hide them beneath the hood of the oversized purple coat she loves to wear together with her long lavender hair and her pale skin with seems to have a slight lilac tinge to it. Underneath the coat she wears a blouse and a long skirt, seemingly cobbled together out of different pieces of clothing she found along the way as well as some leather armor that the Twelve provided her with. Around her waist she wears a simple leather belt with many pouches hanging from it which contain her collection of small bobbles and trinkets and most of the time she can be seen fidgeting with one of them.

Last edited by cookieyummy; 09-02-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:47 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 200
platypusllamas platypusllamas platypusllamas
right-aligned image
Name: Tilli Morwig
Race: Forest Gnome
Class: Druid
Background: Urchin
Alignment: N
Appearance: Tilli exists primarily in shades of brown and grey, although that might just be the grime. Her hair has been choppily sawn off and her posture is hunched. There also seems to be at least one rodent on her person at all times.

Trait: I like to squeeze into small places where no one else can get to me.
Bond: I'm the reason my village was raided. I won't return until I've redeemed myself...somehow.
Ideal: Nature has a place everywhere, even in cities.
Flaw: I will do whatever it takes not to end up in a cage again.
Personality: Tilli tends to have animalistic mannerisms. She is skiddish and quick to become upset. For how unwilling she is to give her trust, it is surprisingly easy to gain it with the right amount of effort, and she has a sometimes childish understanding of the world.

Reason for coming to Skyfall: Tilli was uncommonly adventurous for a forest gnome. She was told to be careful, to not trust outsiders or leave the forest, but she never understood why until a ship dropped anchor nearby. The people who rowed ashore followed her back to her village before capturing her and razing it, apparently believing there was something hidden to be found.
There were abilities that every child in her village learned, like predicting the weather and growing small plants. They were the reason she was kept alive. Sometimes, her captors would have her perform magic for coin in cities. Her only friends were stowaway rats with whom she would talk for many hours.
It was foolish to think she wouldn't learn to do more than parlor tricks in her time (mostly) alone. It took a while, but she inevitably escaped, into a city below earth instead of sky. There she found plenty of rats who helped her hide and find food. However, it eventually became evident that continuing to live in Skyfall without a guild was more risky than it was worth. The Twelve was a natural choice.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:25 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 637
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
I had to withdraw my App, good luck and happy gaming people!
Old 09-02-2019, 06:36 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1017
cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy
Alright, I think Two is done. If there is anything that still needs clarification or you have some other input I would love to hear it
Old 09-02-2019, 08:54 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 696
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
I think that I'm going to go ahead and withdraw my application but I appreciate the opportunity.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:06 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1148
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
Work in progress, but getting there:

Application
right-aligned image
Name: Morcant Belvins
Race: Variant Human
Class: Fighter
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Soldier (Infantry)
Appearance:
Personality:
Ideal: To blindly follow authority is to invite tyranny
Trait: I face problems head on
Bond: Those who fight beside me are worth dying for
Flaw: Niceties and politeness tend to make me suspicious
Reason for coming to Skyfall: Morcant was a soldier in a nation's army (he won't say which) until one day he managed to insult a noble on a bad day. Well, according to Morcant, it was more said noble causing the other soldiers grief until finally called on it in public. Said noble foolishly issued a duel to the death and ended up losing his head as a result. Que a particularly enraged family with connections deciding to make his life very short and very difficult. Skyfall's far enough away that Morcant was hoping to essentially vanish there.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:16 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3514
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
I think I've hit my limit of games for now, so I will also be withdrawing.
Good luck to everyone.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:31 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1872
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Definitely some more strong applications this week! Sorry to see a few people have dropped off, but I understand. I’ll catch you all in future games!

In the meantime, still accepting new applications! And if anyone has any questions, or if you asked something I’ve missed, feel free to PM me!

I have taken the Oath!
Old 09-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 248
routzong routzong routzong
Malgus Stoutale Application

Malgus Stoutale Application
left-aligned image
Name: Malgus Stoutale
Race: Hill Dwarf
Class: Monk (Way of Tranquility)
Background: You lived in seclusion — either in a sheltered community such as a monastery, or entirely alone — for a formative part of your life. In your time apart from the clamor of society, you found quiet, solitude, and perhaps some of the answers you were looking for.Hermit
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Appearance: Above average size for a dwarf, Malgus is thick and heavy. His long read hair and braided beard flow wildy around his head.

Personality:Malgus is jovial and enjoys being boisterous and making others laugh. He will avoid most confrontations with every option available, but when no other options exist he can be a fierce warrior.

Traits:
I am utterly serene, even in the face of disaster.
I feel tremendous empathy for all who suffer.
Ideal:
Logic. Emotions must not cloud our sense of what is right and true, or our logical thinking. (Lawful)
Bond:
I’m still seeking the enlightenment I pursued in my seclusion, and it still eludes me.
Flaw:
Now that I’ve returned to the world, I enjoy its delights a little too much.

Backstory:
After nearly a century isolated in his monastary, Malgus had become adept at brewing all types wines, ales and meads and had learned to be quite a cook as well. He worked dilgently to discipline his mind and body, and yet he still felt that there was more to this life. While I am finding peace, tranquility and fulfillment, every story he heard of the outside world seemed as though they knew nothing of these things.

He began to pester the other members of his cloister to head out and spread the word of their philosophies and studies. It seemed to him that most of them were content to live out their lifes in isolation.

"What good is this knowledge if it is not shared with the rest of the world? Are we so naive to think that by staying here we can change the world? Hell no! To change the world you must join the world. Interact with it, see its glories and its horrors."

Growing frustrated at their obstinance, Malgus asked "What is the most depraved city in our region?"

Skyfall was the nearly unanimous answer. "Then I will pack my things tonight and head to Skyfall! There I will spread the knowledge we have gained in our studies and then we shall see the impact it makes on the world..."

Stat Block

OCC

Old 09-05-2019, 10:02 PM
Great Derpy Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1157
Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral
I'm not a fan of how restrictive and formatted the Background system is in 5e. I hope you don’t mind me making a few tweaks and going a bit off script for traits/bonds/ideal/flaws and Background flavor. If it’s an issue for you I can pick something more related to the character’s later years like Criminal or Faction Agent and keep to the default traits. Just let me know what works best for you.

Overall I’m welcoming any feedback on the app and happy to modify anything that would not fit the setting.

Character Application
right-aligned image

Name: Kaaen Danaan. Usually nicknamed Cain as it sounds close in Common.
Race: Elf (High)
Class: Rogue
Background: Slum’s medic? Reskinned/reflavored Hermit. Hermit is the only Background that mechanically fits Kaaen’s backstory (Not so much the Religion proficiency but mainly for Medicine and Herbalism kit Proficiency that neither Rogue nor Elf can natively provide) but the text doesn’t really mesh. As stated earlier, this is flexible and can go with either Criminal or Faction Agent if going off the book is an issue.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Age: 82. By elven standards she isn’t quite mature yet, but circumstances forced her to grow up quickly, and she still has accumulated more experience that most middle aged humans.
Appearance: Kaaen stands at a petite height of roughly five feet tall. Her silver white hair extends to the middle of her back, curly and draping her shoulders, with a few loose strands dangling left and right of her face. While on the job she usually braids them, pulled tight behind her pointy ears.
Sporting a slender build, her skin is rather pale, as most people living mostly out of the sun in Skyfall. With a slight grin curling her lips more often that not, her piercing, deep green eyes are looking at the world and people with an unyielding curiosity.

Personality/Traits: Kaaen is jovial, never far away from a joke and overall gets along pretty well with most of her fellow guild members. Over time she has made a few friends with fencers of the guild, and by often training with them she discovered she likes the thrill of a scuffle more than she probably should. Despite this, her near pathological curiosity for the world and its mysteries push her to sometimes isolate herself, find a quiet corner to lie down and lose herself in a good history book or some magical study. Both of those she isn’t above obtaining in any way possible.
The best way to get Kaaen to try to do something is to tell her she can’t do it. She will start the process of coming up with all kinds of crazy plans to achieve the “undoable”, but if she realizes after some time it absolutely can’t be done, she isn’t beyond admitting her shortcomings.

Bonds: Kaaen’s mother and father are still living in the Dregs, and she hopes to one day be able to offer them citizenship in one way or another. For the time being, she provides for them so that they don’t have to open a new shop and risk being found again by the authorities. Ultimately, the main thing she's working for is the prosperity of her family.

Ideals: (Neutral) Kaaen is loyal to her friends, her guild and her family. Everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all she cares. (Free Thinking) Inquiry and curiosity are the pillars of progress. And wealth, sometimes.

Flaw: If she doesn’t really practice medicine anymore, Kaaen’s retains a pretty solid knowledge about plants, potions, substances. Knowledge she mainly uses to identify what can be used for recreational purposes. She has been known to partake a bit too much, whether it’s alcohol or else, if she feels like she needs to relax or during evening between friends.

Reason for coming to Skyfall: A lot of individuals and families try to immigrate to Skyfall for the promises of wealth and security. While most usually fail, the Danaan family enjoyed a stroke of luck, as their attempt to slip through the cracks was made a bit less than twenty years ago, when security was lax amidst the Trade Wars. With a lineage of apothecaries, medics and surgeon, they quickly established themselves in the Dregs as cheap medical practitioners for those with little money, no guild or poor rankings. While business wasn’t the best in the slums of the city, when the denizens of the Lightless Depths invaded, the Danaans made a little name for themselves as helpers for those who had been hurt during the insurrection.

After this event, scarred by the ordeal, and starting to get old, Kaaen’s parents faded from the job, forcing her to begrudgingly taking on the family’s trade despite her interest mainly lying elsewhere most of the time. The young elf liked to wander around, her unyielding curiosity getting her sometimes in trouble while looking for arcane knowledge held the elitist members of various guilds.

Years later, as Kaaen was tending to the shop, a couple of individuals barged in, carrying a critically wounded individual. She would later learn all three were members of the Twelve, who following a botched job with people on their tails found themselves unable to retreat to the guild. The Danaan clinic was the closest thing they had and requested her help. Not having dealt very successfully with such serious injuries in the past, Kaaen declared it would be free of charge but she couldn’t promise any result, working two days and three nights on keeping the man stable.
In their hurry, the members of the Twelve might have forgot to check if they were followed, because a few days after the release of her patient safe and sound, members of the Crafters guild started to inquire about the clinic, obviously taking umbrage at an unaffiliated shop that would provide free services. Not only was this retaliation for taking the thieve’s in (despite lack of proof), but the all-important flow of gold had been interrupted, and there wasn’t greater offense for the city no matter if these services where needed at the heart of the slums.

After a farce of an investigation enforcers trashed and burned the place, forcing the three remaining Danaan to flee, now homeless, jobless, penniless. Word reached around that they were to be arrested and exiled from the city.
The man she helped, having well recovered from his own ordeal, heard about the unfortunate event and reached to Kaaen with a deal: As a thanks for saving his life he would sponsor her in the twelve, provide shelter and help get her a new life. Unfortunately there wasn’t room for her parents too.
With very little alternative, the elf accepted, intent on using the newly acquired legitimacy and money to help relocate her parents in another part of the slums where they could live without risk of exile.

At first she was included in teams as an emergency medic. If anything was going wrong during a job, her role was to patch people up until they could be brought back to the guild to receive proper healing from actual trained specialists. Over time though, she was found to be quite effective as a thief and enforcer. If she lacked a deep interest in medicine unlike the rest of her family, her studies at least taught her where to hit to hurt someone, and what substances could be used to get someone to talk, weaken them or have a guard doze off precisely when her team is about to hit. True, she wasn’t the altruistic healer her parents taught her to be anymore, but that was fine with her. The end sometimes does justify the means.

Posting Rate: I am lucky enough to have unrestricted access to RPGx while working, so I can post once or several times a day. Will adapt the other players and DM’s pace.

Last edited by Sadral; 09-05-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:26 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadral View Post
I'm not a fan of how restrictive and formatted the Background system is in 5e. I hope you don’t mind me making a few tweaks and going a bit off script for traits/bonds/ideal/flaws and Background flavor. If it’s an issue for you I can pick something more related to the character’s later years like Criminal or Faction Agent and keep to the default traits. Just let me know what works best for you.
I’m totally fine with you customizing your background to suit your character. Not sure if you saw my post here, but you and I are very much on the same page regarding the restrictive nature of having to stick to pre-made backgrounds when they don’t suit the character.

I have taken the Oath!
Old 09-05-2019, 10:37 PM
Great Derpy Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1157
Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral
Oh sorry, I had not seen that post, it was somewhat lost in the middle of all the applications! ^^

That's awesome! If you allow for full customization then if Kaaen is selected and you don't mind I'd probably swap Religion for Arcana, given her interests in nebulous studies (and the fact she would probably be a future Arcane Trickster). It's based on the same Ability score so I hope it stays balanced for you. As far as Feature is concerned I guess the Criminal Contract from Criminal BG is exactly what the guild is about so it looks like a no brainer.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Last edited by Sadral; 09-05-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:30 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadral View Post
Oh sorry, I had not seen that post, it was somewhat lost in the middle of all the applications! ^^

That's awesome! If you allow for full customization then if Kaaen is selected and you don't mind I'd probably swap Religion for Arcana, given her interests in nebulous studies (and the fact she would probably be a future Arcane Trickster). It's based on the same Ability score so I hope it stays balanced for you. As far as Feature is concerned I guess the Criminal Contract from Criminal BG is exactly what the guild is about so it looks like a no brainer.

Thanks for the quick reply!
That’s all fine by me. The general rules for customizing a background are that you choose any two skills, a total of two tool proficiencies or languages, and one background feature from the sample backgrounds.

I have taken the Oath!
Old 09-09-2019, 04:31 PM
The helpful smoking bear

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6297
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
A little late but I'm going to toss my hat into the ring, sounds fun.

Application
right-aligned image
Name: Garyn the Hoarse Axe
Race: Hobgoblin
Class: Fighter
Background:[Custom] Ex-Soldier (re-flavored Mercenary Veteran with the urban bounty hunter background feat. since it seemed to fit him a bit more while the profs and characteristics of the merc vet matched him more haha.)
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Appearance: Standing about the average height of a human male with a slight hunch Garyn does what he can to hide his features knowing that goblinkin aren't always well received regardless of where they are found. His mostly hairless scalp looks much like the remains of a cat's scratching post with scars and wrinkles abound with a few spotty tuffs of wiry red hair here and there. His pride mostly is found on his jaw where what remains of a wiry beard can be seen beneath the hooded cloak that he often wears - assuring himself that no one would notice the tall goblin walking amongst them. Beneath the hood he is commonly found in his leather armor, a undying habit from his time in the legion - you never know, with his quiver and trusted bow slung around his shoulder.
Traits/Bonds/Ideals/Flaw:
  • Trait - I have a crude sense of humor
  • Trait- I'm haunted by memories of war. I can't ge the images of violence out of my mind.
  • Bonds - Those who fight beside me are those worth dying for.
  • Ideals - Might. In life as in war, the stronger force wins. (Evil)
  • Flaws - I have little respect for anyone who is not a proven warrior
Personality: When you've known nothing but killing, and maiming, and assassinating, and stealing - and killing....and maiming - wait I already mentioned that one. Well it gets dull so you do what every sound mind individual does; become jaded and develop a horrible sense of humor! With a conscious mind at the job at hand and a sub-conscious mind too busy admiring those flowers over there things often can be... oh those do look edible - Ah, sorry - chaotic at times. Nevertheless, I find a way to make it happen.
Reason for coming to Skyfall: When your life is nothing but jobs you go to where things will be the most plentiful. Yeah, you can always find folks wanting another guy/gal/stupid donkey named "Lester" dead for one reason or another - but that really takes the wind out of your sail fast when its all the same. Having options sounds fun - having options sounds grand! I don't mind getting my hands dirty for a bit if it means bigger and better jobs in the future, hells I'm down for some good ol' low-man on the totem pole fun! If its entertaining and I get what I want at the end of the day - why not give it a go?